Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LIQUID SOCIETY  (Read 14858 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:LIQUID SOCIETY
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2005, 11:16:19 AM »

Bruce I sent Craig the “Romanian” site for First Nudie Musical.  He was rather confused since it was in Russian, not Romanian.  RU stands for Russia.  Looks like you won’t be getting a translation through me.

Jane

« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2005, 11:18:28 AM »

FJL I don't blame you for venting.  I guess you won't be posting tomorrow.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2005, 11:20:31 AM »

If I could afford it, I would start every day with a 20 oz. Mocha, but the realities of the world prevent that.  i do make a pot of coffee every morning, and on work days i drink one cup while I am getting ready, and then take the rest of the pot in a thermus to work.  I use a flavored creamer , usually French Vanilla, but don't add any extra sugar.  I do not drink coffee after noon, becuase no matter how tired I may be, it will always keep me awake.  I very rarely drink cola of any kind.  I  prefer 7-Up, or Sierra Mist, either regular of diet.  I don't care for Sprite.  At home, in the evening, I usually drink cranberry juice, mixed with diet 7-Up.

Ever since I was hsopitalized for a kidney stone, back in the 1970s, I have tried to lessen their impact on me, by drinking, at least, 8 glassed of water (bottle or tap) per day.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2005, 11:26:30 AM »

Sorry I have been E & T most of the weekend, but we had the first of our two-show-Saturdays, yesterday, for MY FAIR LADY.  If I didn't work a full-time job, i wouldn't mind those days, but they just wipe me out when I have to be back at work by 7:00 a.m. on Monday morning.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2005, 11:35:21 AM »

I just received a very interesting theater-type offer for early next month. I am not really sure I can take it, becuase of two murder mystery dinners that I have coming up, but it could be a lot of fun to do.  I can't really say anything about it, until I work out some details, but perhaps my son also received a similar offer???

I think that some of our Haineses / Kimmlets would find the details of this adventure. if I do it, very very interesting!!!
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2005, 12:02:24 PM »

Off to see THE GREATEST GAME.......

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2005, 01:09:17 PM »

Have had a full afternoon of video treats.

First up was IN OLD CHICAGO which played as I was preparinjg lunch. Alice Faye sang more in it than I remembered, and Tyrone Power seemed smaller and less of stature than in some of his other Fox starring vehicles.They must have started padding his coats a bit more in later films. Of course, once he returned from the war having served as a Marine, I suspect he didn't need any shoulder padding.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2005, 01:13:37 PM »

There was an old Letterman on TRIO this morning, from the early 80s, and he had John Carpenter on there talking about THE THING, which was coming out at that time. It was interesting because Letterman and Carpenter both seemed pretty sure THE THING was going to be a big hit, and it really got blasted by critics and flopped. Watching the movie now, I think it has a lot to recommend it.

I thought it was among the scariest movies I had ever seen. I didn't even laugh at the "spider head." I thought he maintained suspense incredibly well in that movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2005, 01:14:09 PM »

Yes, bk, S.O.B. is available on DVD. I have it.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2005, 01:18:16 PM »

After I finished IN OLD CHICAGO and my lunch, I settled in with FINDING NEVERLAND.

It's a beautiful film, enchantingly conceived and put together with great care and love by everyone. For those of us who are intimately involved in theater, this film is an absolute must. From about the midpoint of the film until the end, I had tears in my eyes, both of delight (the magical premiere of PETER PAN on stage is so brilliantly captured) and, of course, of sadness too as the film, just like life, conveys good and bad moments which we can all experience.

I will be ordering a copy of this as soon as I leave the forum.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 01:24:04 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2005, 01:22:09 PM »

One of the high definition cable channels was showing THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS this afternoon, so I thought I watch at least part of it to see how upconverted films look in high definition.

Pretty stunning, I'd say. I was able to pick out George Chakiris in those hoards of chorus boys backing up both Donald O'Connor and later Mitzi Gaynor in the "Alexander's Ragtime Band" number. I'm sure I have seen him before in the routines, but never before had I been able to make out his face in the background when he's three or four rows behind the soloist. That's how crisp an effect high definition has on viewing details.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »

Well, I shall now be on my way to rehearsal, and then I have to do some grocery shopping as I am currently out of everything.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2005, 01:25:46 PM »

I still have SIDEWAYS on the DVR to watch, but I may save it for tomorrow and continue watching KOLCHAK episodes before network TV series come back on tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2005, 02:11:10 PM »

I think it was Jose who went to see Brooke Shields in CHICAGO and mentioned that he thought the original had played at the Richard Rodgers.

Correct. Of course, it was called the 46th Street Theater then. When I went to see the original CHICAGO (which I loved, BTW, and couldn't understand why it wasn't selling out), I thought the seats there then were the most uncomfortable I had ever sat in at any NYC theater.

When I went back for THE MUSIC MAN a few years ago, they either had replaced the seats or my "sitter" had become more cushioned over the years because I was much more comfortable in that theater.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2005, 02:12:49 PM »

And now I will hurry downstairs to clean the master bathroom and then begin an evening of televised entertainment.

WBBL

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2005, 02:30:49 PM »

I have finally caught up with all the posts that I hadn't read since yesterday.  After I came home from work yesterday, I went to my sister's for a while and when I came home, I did nothing but watch TV.  Actually, tapes of shows that I hadn't watched in the last couple of weeks.  I watched the latest episodes of "Boston Legal," "Ghost Whisperer," "Lost," "Threshold," "Surface" and "Invasion."  I've decided to give up trying to watch "Supernatural."  I had taped four episodes and haven't watched any...and for some reason (the attractiveness of the actors, notwithstanding), I don't care.  Oh, well.  Like I've said before, there are more hour-long shows that I want to watch this season than there have been in quite a long time.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2005, 02:50:27 PM »

Oh, I also watched "Extreme Makeover:  Home Edition" and both Martha and Donald's versions of "The Apprentice."  

As for sit-coms, I watched two episodes of "Life With Earl" (I like this show), "Living With Fran" (just okay...but I like Fran), "How I Met Your Mother" (this last episode didn't bother me as much as others, here on HHW ;)) and "Out of Practice" (I really like this show).  I also caught the new show "Hot Properties" with Gail O'Grady and Nicole Sullivan.  I thought it was pretty funny.  Not absolutely hilarious, but there are worse shows on right now. ::)

That's about it for sit-coms.  And that was my day yesterday. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2005, 02:54:54 PM »

As for sit-coms, I watched two episodes of "Life With Earl" (I like this show)

I do, too, DRGeorge; I find white trash behavior extremely funny, and Jason Lee and the actor who plays his brother are wonderful together.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 02:55:17 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2005, 02:56:32 PM »

I am tired!  It is another totally rainy gloomy day here.  And I just came back from a funeral home (my brother-in-law's uncle).  Open casket, which I'm not too fond of.  But there was lots of family there (my brother-in-law's not mine). And it was actually quite nice.  Apparently it is their tradition for people to bring lots of food to the funeral home.  So I did just that.

This morning I got a call at 9:30am saying my sister, her hubby and his sis (and my new 1 month old baby niece)  were coming for breakfast.  And after babysitting last night, I am very tired right now!

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2005, 02:59:31 PM »

I enjoyed "Steel Pier" yesterday. Great production  and a talented young cast.  Sure the Book has problems and the first act is long (90 minutes) but the show was to me very entertaining. "An old fashioned musical" . It did help knowing the show from the OBC recording and I know many of the theatre goers found it hard to follow and to have emotional involvment with the characters. For me there is an emotional pay off in the Second Act. I also wonder if it would make a better film musical than a stage one. Perhaps a musical "They Shoot horse Don't They" would work.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2005, 03:18:18 PM »

Sunday evening greetings from SW Ohio!  We went to lunch in the dining room at my mother-in-law's retirement community and had a very nice meal and visit with her.  She then went grocery shopping with us, after which I came home and took a nap.

TOD - I must start the day with several cups of plain black coffee - nothing fancy, just strong and hot.  I do like the fancy hot and cold beverages at Starbucks, but prefer the skinny versions, no whipped cream, and not the real sweet concoctions.  Several years ago we toured the Celestial Seasonings plant in Boulder, Colorado, and became quite fond of several of their teas - my favorite is Almond Sunset.  Very little soda pop is consumed in our household, but we do keep Canada Dry flavored (lemon-lime and raspberry) sparkling water on hand.  At work, I drink only bottled water, because I will not use the same public fountains as our clientele ( :P) and we keep bottled water at home, too, because our city water is pretty foul.  For that reason, we also purchase our ice - when cubes made from our city water melt in the bottom of a glass they leave behind a fuzzy residue (also  :P).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2005, 03:25:22 PM »

George - I enjoyed your stories about the touring The Full Monty because DH Richard and I will see it when it comes to Dayton in November.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2005, 03:29:29 PM »

Thanks, Ginny.  Again, I wish that I could've seen The Full Monty. ;)

George

« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2005, 03:34:06 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day:  I don't care for coffee.  Mocha is okay, and although I do like Starbuck's Mocha Frappachinos, I hardly ever buy them.  Otherwise, I live on diet Pepsi.  I must have my DP with my meal...every meal, if possible. ::) But I don't drink enough water.  I drink some, but not enough.  And I don't drink alcohol.  I don't like the feel of it and it's usually just too darned expensive. :P

George

« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2005, 03:36:46 PM »

And speaking of Sweeney Todd:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY 80TH BIRTHDAY, ANGELA LANSBURY!![/move]

You never know...she might be a lurker. ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2005, 04:31:43 PM »

I think it was Jose who went to see Brooke Shields in CHICAGO and mentioned that he thought the original had played at the Richard Rodgers.

Correct. Of course, it was called the 46th Street Theater then. When I went to see the original CHICAGO (which I loved, BTW, and couldn't understand why it wasn't selling out), I thought the seats there then were the most uncomfortable I had ever sat in at any NYC theater.

When I went back for THE MUSIC MAN a few years ago, they either had replaced the seats or my "sitter" had become more cushioned over the years because I was much more comfortable in that theater.

DR Matt H - The Music Man revival was in the Neil Simon - formerly Alvin.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 04:46:08 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2005, 05:00:40 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from seeing In My Life....

And that's basically the report.  It was/is a bad show.  But it's not an "overtly" bad show.  Lots of talent, lots of money... But just blah and middling to the nth degree.  I don't have any real feelings about the show - positive or negative.  And then there's "Winston" who basically provides the out for the mediocrity of the show.  So...

I guess I'm glad I saw it.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2005, 05:22:22 PM »

What is that, six posts since I left at 1:30???  Oh, dear, oh, dear, I fear the bitch-slapping machine is coming out of the closet (and it's about time, I say).

Jane

« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2005, 05:32:18 PM »

we also purchase our ice - when cubes made from our city water melt in the bottom of a glass they leave behind a fuzzy residue (also  :P).

I know what you mean.  With the new kitchen we are installing a drinking water filter and a line from the filter to the freezer for the ice maker.  

It will be nice not to have tons of plastic containers to take to the recycling center.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2005, 05:43:05 PM »

Howdy - just got back from a lovely morning/lunch with the Early Music geeks. What a nice time was had by all. They even had music for 3 or more viols and soprano!! I snag, I played recorder, I ate strange vegetarian fare, we talked Gesualdo and Boismortier - ooooh, a nice time, I tell yiz.
PennyO
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up