Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAUNDRY LIST  (Read 19949 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE LAUNDRY LIST
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2005, 09:50:43 AM »

NOW the rain is coming down.  FREE CAR WASH!

And where is the word of the day usage?  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2005, 09:51:11 AM »

I had a productive weekend, all things considered.  I even vaguely recall a nice phone call Saturday morning, but so much happened afterward that it seems aeons ago.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2005, 09:52:26 AM »

I booked my round-trip Delta flight home (FIrst Class, mind you) for Christmas, and it cost me $163.   That was the charge for the extra skymiles needed.

It only took me 10 years to accumulate enough sky miles to fly home First Class this year!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2005, 09:53:18 AM »

Talk about brain cell reduction! I just realized that I HAVE a copy of THE QUEEN OF SPADES and didn't even realize it!

;D

I am so glad that you liked Neverland.  I found myself thinking about it for days afterwards and going back and rewatching bits of it .   It was such a bittersweet sotry and I loved the understated way Mr. Depp played the scenes between himself and the actress playing his wife

....and the opening night scene was wonderful (Mr. Barrie's ingenious solution to see that the play was received in the correct spirit).  I have been trying to find out if that was based on fact or if it was a wonderful piece of fiction  with no success.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2005, 09:55:03 AM »

I won three rather interesting eBay auctions this past weekend.

I "think" I won original posters (half sheets) for "How to Marry a Millionaire' and "Singin' in the Rain" and a reissue full-color insert for "Babes on Broadway."

It's a bit early to tell.  The seller simply did not know.  An estate was being auctioned, off, but the posters had been around since the 50s (in the estate-holder's home) and had been framed under glass.  The sizes are certainly right.

I paid under $150 for the lot, so....we shall see what we shall see.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 09:55:23 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2005, 09:57:13 AM »

I spent much of yesterday breaking in a new toy -- a Scunc steamer...and I tackled my bathroom first, then my kitchen.  I've a lot more work to do...and I've got to learn to do one thing at a time.  

But the steamer is powerful and effective.  And my bathroom smelled ever-so-loverly this morning.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2005, 09:58:44 AM »

I watched my "Cinderella" DVD yesterday.  Quite a wonderful film...still magical after all these years.

And the special features on the 2nd DVD are very entertaining and interesting (for the most part).

Some of the stuff is, of course, geared toward little girls, but much of it is of interest to anyone who loves Disney.

vixmom

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2005, 09:59:22 AM »

I spent much of yesterday breaking in a new toy -- a Scunc steamer...and I tackled my bathroom first, then my kitchen.  I've a lot more work to do...and I've got to learn to do one thing at a time.  

But the steamer is powerful and effective.  And my bathroom smelled ever-so-loverly this morning.

Is that the little handheld one?  I have been thinking of getting one.  Is it easy to use?  Does it have to be refilled and reheated constantly?

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2005, 10:00:04 AM »

I watched my "Cinderella" DVD yesterday.  Quite a wonderful film...still magical after all these years.

And the special features on the 2nd DVD are very entertaining and interesting (for the most part).

Some of the stuff is, of course, geared toward little girls, but much of it is of interest to anyone who loves Disney.

So it finally arrived!! Huzzah!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2005, 10:00:46 AM »

There's a segment from a show with Perry Como on which Ilene Woods and The Fontaine Sisters present a preview of the movie in words and song.  Perry gets the story details a bit wrong (the mice who made a dress for Cinderella did not do it at the bidding of the Fairy Godmother).

And there's another feature with a clip from a 1955 episode of the The Mickey Mouse Club....it's too much.  Way too much.  All the little Mouseketeers site in a row and make mouse sounds while manipulating their Mouseketeer ears!

Woof.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2005, 10:05:07 AM »

Last night's "Desperate Housewives":

SPOILER POTENTIAL!!!!!!!!!!

Is it just me or have the writers seemingly gone off the deep end?  First, I had a great deal of trouble last night even caring what was going on.

There's way too much in the way of convolution of plot...and there's no resolution of one thing while setting up another.  It's just a huge series of set-ups.

And the characters are becoming less and less interesting to me.

I fear this show may have peaked, so to speak, in cleverness and edginess.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 10:13:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2005, 10:05:55 AM »

On the other hand, "Gray's Anatomy" continues to be a brilliant show...interesting, beautifully paced, exceptionally well-cast and well-acted, and poignant and funny.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2005, 10:06:45 AM »

The Scunci can be viewed online.  It's easy to use.  I refilled it once in the bathroom.  I used it only on my stove and surrounding countertops in the kitchn.

The water/steam lasts a decent while.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 10:10:45 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2005, 10:09:01 AM »

Among the features of the "Cinderella" DVD are a bunch of demo songs that did not make the final cut.

It's with good reason, too, as they are all simply not in the same league as the songs in the movie.

I couldn't get "into" any of them, although a number of them had interesting animation concepts.  Walt, himself, said no to them.  He had great musical instincts (until that lapse in the 60s with "The Happiest Millionaire" and "The One and Only Original Family Band".

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2005, 10:09:38 AM »

The sun is trying to come out, and it's still raining.  Only in LA.  I do hope all the errant and truant are over at amazon writing certain reviews.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2005, 10:16:45 AM »

Among the features of the "Cinderella" DVD are a bunch of demo songs that did not make the final cut.

It's with good reason, too, as they are all simply not in the same league as the songs in the movie.

I'm actually quite fond of "I'm in the Middle of a Muddle."  The laser disc of ALICE IN WONDERLAND includes a demo of a song that was given a much better new lyric for PETER PAN:  "The Second Star from the Right."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2005, 10:18:11 AM »

Good Afternoon!...

Sorry to have been errant and truant so far today... I allowed myself to sleep in a little bit - just needed the rest.  And I've also been cleaning up my soon-to-be old room here at the apartment - and not rushing while doing it.  I'll be leaving a couple of boxes of stuff up here, and over the next few weeks, I'll be making one or two trips back up here with my car (I guess that means I'm keeping it for now) to bring stuff back (and forth).  So...

I just booked my Amtrak ticket, and I'll be taking the 4:05 train from Penn Station.  I'm almost done here, but, again, I just didn't want to feel I had to rush.  -As long as I'm at the stage door of the National Theatre by 10:00 tomorrow morning...

I'll catch up once I'm back down in Fairfax later tonight...

Until then, I hope everyone is having a good day, in good health, and in good spirits.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2005, 10:21:21 AM »

Good Afternoon!...

Sorry to have been errant and truant so far today... I allowed myself to sleep in a little bit - just needed the rest.  And I've also been cleaning up my soon-to-be old room here at the apartment - and not rushing while doing it.  I'll be leaving a couple of boxes of stuff up here, and over the next few weeks, I'll be making one or two trips back up here with my car (I guess that means I'm keeping it for now) to bring stuff back (and forth).  So...

I just booked my Amtrak ticket, and I'll be taking the 4:05 train from Penn Station.  I'm almost done here, but, again, I just didn't want to feel I had to rush.  -As long as I'm at the stage door of the National Theatre by 10:00 tomorrow morning...

I'll catch up once I'm back down in Fairfax later tonight...

Until then, I hope everyone is having a good day, in good health, and in good spirits.

Laters...
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SAFE TRAVEL VIBES, DR JOSE!!~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/move]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 10:23:22 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2005, 10:24:13 AM »

OY!

(that refers to my efforts to wish DRJose god travel vibes)!  On another note, I think this is what I have to say about REWIND:

Bruce Kimmel's latest pice of legerdemain, REWIND is lark of a mystery.   It's characters are vivid show biz types from stars to wannabes, from loyal friends to royal screws, from those with the money to the ones who need the investment.  Several deserve to die, and a few do.    Mr Kimmel's experiences in the recording studio give the book a lively reality, which only adds to the fun.  To say more would be spoiling the surprises.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 10:28:36 AM by elmore3003 »

Jason

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2005, 10:26:27 AM »

On the other hand, "Gray's Anatomy" continues to be a brilliant show...interesting, beautifully paced, exceptionally well-cast and well-acted, and poignant and funny.

I agree - "Gray's Anatomy" is proving to be on of the best new shows in several years. And I thought Sandra Oh's performance in last night's episode was award-worthy.  I also love seeing CAROLINE, OR CHANGE's Chandra Wilson on the show. Her performance last night was wonderful, as well.

Jason

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2005, 10:28:20 AM »

And now I'm being nice to myself and going home. Yes, Dear Readers - I'm taking a half-day so I can go home and rest. I'll probably force myself to do laundry, in reality, but I might take a nap. Either way, it'll be nice to be home resting.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2005, 10:34:30 AM »

Sandra Oh is a-m-a-z-i-n-g!  She's my favorite among new actresses, bar none!

She was brilliant in "Sideways" and she's really a standout in "Gray's Anatomy".

"SEDATE me"!

Ben

« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2005, 10:35:40 AM »

Happy Anniversary to our VixMom and VixDad. Will the Vixter be cooking you two a lavish dinner of perhaps Kippers and Boiled Beef (VixDad is British, after all) ;)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2005, 10:39:01 AM »

I predicted last season that Desperate Housewives would soon crash and burn.  I've seen nothing so far this season to dissuade me from that prediction.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2005, 10:39:49 AM »

Our computer has been making an annoying ticking noise for the past few days.  I'm hoping it's the fan, not the hard drive, but I may be internet-less for a while if it's the latter.  :(

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2005, 10:41:19 AM »

There's a showbiz story from "Camelot" that was told, I believe, by Julie Andrews.  I either read it or heard her tell in TV.

During "The Lusty Month of May" number, there was a large dog (sheep dog??) on stage.  One evening, the dog took a huge dump on stage just prior to:

"Whence this fragrance wafting through the air?
What sweet feelings does its scent transmute?
Whence this perfume floating ev'rywhere?
Don't you know it's that dear forbidden fruit!
Tra la, tra la, that dear forbidden fruit!"

IIRC, Andrews said she briefly held her nose while singing that and got a huge laugh.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2005, 10:42:48 AM »

Well, I posted the comments on Amazon.com, but I ended up on the paperback site!  I believe I'm the first one there.

JMK

« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2005, 10:44:10 AM »

Laughing at my eBay nemesis department:  I am frequently sniped by another Farmer fan on eBay.  He bought a Frances Farmer photo (from another seller) for almost $500 a few weeks ago (yes, evidently some people are even more obsessed than I--hard to believe, I know).  I hadn't bid on that particular auction because it just so happened I had an extra copy of the same photo.  I just auctioned it for $9.99 to one of the underbidders on that auction.  And I know he was watching the auction, LOL.  ;)   Somehow it makes me laugh to see him paying hundreds of dollars for something that's readily available for 10.  Petty, yes, but highly amusing.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 10:45:29 AM by JMK »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2005, 10:44:20 AM »

Speaking of ticking sounds, I've been hearing, over the weekend, this extremely annoying ticking-chattering sound.  It was a pattern...almost like an amplified insect noise (chicada-like).

I was beside myself trying to find it.  I thought something had gotten into the house.

Turns out....it's the first time my "weatherbug" feature on my computer has been issuing local weather alerts (gale-force winds in the hills).  And as I leave my computer on all day, I was being treated to the "alert" noises "Weatherbug" issues.

Now that I know, the speakers will remain "off" unless I'm using the computer.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2005, 10:44:41 AM »

I predicted last season that Desperate Housewives would soon crash and burn.  I've seen nothing so far this season to dissuade me from that prediction.

I sort of felt that way, too, last night.  Teri Hatcher's character seems to have gone from well-intentioned blunderer to soap opera conniver overnight.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up