Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: APROPOS OF NOTHING  (Read 16844 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:APROPOS OF NOTHING
« Reply #180 on: October 18, 2005, 08:54:40 PM »

And belated Anniversary wishes to Vixmom and Co.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2005, 08:57:45 PM »

Oh yes, saw a film tonight. An honest to goodness feature. THE SQUID AND THE WHALE. Well made movie, shot entirely (and bittersweetly for me) in my old neighborhood of Park Slope, Brooklyn. Jeff Daniels is great as a thoroughly contemptible character. Just a pretty honest story of a couple's breakup and the affect on their kids. Not the feel-good hit of the year.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2005, 09:02:59 PM »

bk, I did it once. In the parking lot of a bookstore in Athens, GA. Pulling into a regular old parking space, normal thing, the front of my car hits the side of another car. There was disbelief, because it was something I'd never had trouble with, and then suddenly, I've damaged someone's car. I'll never forget the girl, blonde, sorority gal, getting out of her car, taking a look, and saying, "That's okay. My dad was going to buy me a new car next month anyway." The relief!

Jason

« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2005, 09:03:43 PM »

I just spent $400 of my dad's money on tickets for a show that I think is going to suck. They've decided they want to see JERSEY BOYS (the Franki Valli musical) while they're in town, so I obliged. I tried to steer them in another direction, but my mom and aunt want to see this. They also want to sit through AIDA at the Met. God help us all. And to think that I got a 25% discount on those tickets and it STILL cost $400!! Totally ridiculous to my way of thinking. And we're sitting in Left Mezzanine Row L. ROW L! For $400, we should be sitting in Row B at least!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2005, 09:09:26 PM »

It is sad that he is forever losing the world he has known, but it's also wondrous that this man, after all the turmoil and terror he has gone through,  has come to the realization that no matter how small and insignificant in stature he becomes, that he still matters as a being and that his life still has meaning.  He grasps the meaning of infinity and almost rejoices with it.  I think it's an amazingly profound and beautiful ending to what could have been just another hokey sci-fi flick.

I agree completely with you, DR Dan. My tears are those of wonder at his discovery and despite leaving his familiar world behind will now experience a new kind of life. A great adventure.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2005, 09:11:19 PM »

All right. It's past midnight here, and I must get to bed.

Will look forward to the rest of toinight's and also tomorrow's posts.

Good night.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 09:11:44 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2005, 09:18:10 PM »

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN was indeed a metaphysical movie that made me think about the same things.  Has anyone read the original book...did it have the same ending?  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2005, 09:44:39 PM »

I haven't eaten since my early lunch at noon - had a BLTA, fries, and a little salad with ranch dressing.  I'm now hungry, but not sure what to eat.  I could rustle up a little tuna salad and just not put it on bread.  Maybe that's what I'll do.  Or I could go to the deli and get a sandwich, but they're always so huge there.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2005, 09:48:26 PM »

Apropos of nothing....

DR Pogue--I thought you might want to know that you are mentioned in today's New York Times. Under the New DVD listings, Dave Kehr writes about The Fly. "For once, the bonus disc has some genuine scholarly interest, providing the complete text of George Langelaan's original short story, and the first proposed remake script by CHARLES EDWARD POGUE......."

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2005, 09:52:33 PM »

DR Jose--

I was on the 4:05p.m. train out of Penn Station to Baltimore yesterday. NOW I know why it was delayed until 4:40p.m.---

Blame it on Jose!

If you left on track number 9, we were train-mates! Too bad we didn't know ahead of time. I read REWIND the entire trip, and found it to be fascinating, informative, and completely captivating. I especially enjoyed Chapter 10, the one about Marty Alvino--read it several times, laughing rather loudly at some parts.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2005, 09:59:53 PM »

I just finished watching an old 1936 Monogram cheapie called BORN TO FIGHT...it starred Frankie Darrow and Kane Richmond.

I must say, Kane Richmond is THE most perfect specimen of masculine humanity I have ever laid my eyes on!

not only that,  but this....

He left films in 1948 to work, with great success, in the fashion industry...oh, if only I had been born 55 years earlier!

Unfortunately, of course, if I had then I'd be dead now.

Oh, do they still have that incorrect information about my going into the fashion industry???  Not true, Mr. B.  Would you like to come up some time and I can show you my specimen uh etchings?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #191 on: October 18, 2005, 10:02:21 PM »

Speaking of movie hunks, has anyone ever noticed that the Incredible Shrinking Man ironically becomes more attractive as he shrinks?

Yeah, tell me about it!  I used to date him.
“One thing’s universal,

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2005, 10:29:34 PM »

Oh, it's not the first time I've been mentioned in the New York Times.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2005, 10:31:09 PM »

I just spent $400 of my dad's money on tickets for a show that I think is going to suck. They've decided they want to see JERSEY BOYS (the Franki Valli musical) while they're in town, so I obliged. I tried to steer them in another direction, but my mom and aunt want to see this. They also want to sit through AIDA at the Met. God help us all. And to think that I got a 25% discount on those tickets and it STILL cost $400!! Totally ridiculous to my way of thinking. And we're sitting in Left Mezzanine Row L. ROW L! For $400, we should be sitting in Row B at least!!

JERSEY BOYS got great press when it was playing in La Jolla, although a lot of the praise was for David Norona as Frankie Valli.  Unfortunately, Mr. Norona is not in the Broadway production, but is starring in INCONCEIVABLE on television instead.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2005, 10:35:09 PM »

Apropos of nothing - time for to go to bed.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2005, 10:51:51 PM »

Glad Iris liked the book!  And glad she liked Marty Alvino - one of my favorite characters in the book.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2005, 11:28:24 PM »

Oh, now, we're so close and yet everyone ditches the jernt to become WUSSBURGERS.  Not only WUSSBURGERS but WUSSBURGERS WITH CHEESE.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2005, 11:28:40 PM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2005, 11:36:55 PM »

Oh, I more than liked REWIND-I LOVED it!

It's bound to cause quite a buzz in the musical theater world.
I've mentioned it to quite a few people, and they are very intrigued.

Tomovoz

« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2005, 11:53:09 PM »

200 is possible
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2005, 11:53:36 PM »

I think!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up