Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ASKEW  (Read 23362 times)

FJL

Re:ASKEW
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2005, 06:23:06 AM »

Topic of the day:

Before we had the dogs, we would find an excuse every few years to sort of take over a restaurant or a section of a restaurant.  The biggest in terms of number of people was for our fifth anniversary, when we took over Pietrasanta Restaurant for a nice Italian dinner.  It was about seventy people, we had place cards and the whole nine yards.  And we even had a surprise treat when Janie Smulyan led a parody song she wrote for our Wooden Anniversary.  (We limited the choices of what people could order, and with the restauant owners deliberately chose a night when the place was usually light in customers, and that kept the price down.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 06:24:46 AM by FJL »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2005, 06:23:50 AM »

It would be funnier if it weren't true, DR ELMORE....oh my.

Pleasant Tab Hunter interview by Forrest Elliott - who is now Special Correspondent on Breakfast With the Arts....I liked the show better when he was the main person instead of this "girl" they have now.  Tab looks very good, and was promoting his book, but seemed a nice type of guy.  Anyone read the book?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2005, 06:26:00 AM »

DR Jrand - Let's just say the way I use the Special K bars, they're not part of a diet.  They just taste good.  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2005, 06:27:48 AM »

Page Two Tab Hunter Dance.   :o\

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2005, 06:28:07 AM »

DR Jrand - Let's just say the way I use the Special K bars, they're not part of a diet.  They just taste good.  :)

Ahh....nothing wrong with that!  8)

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2005, 06:50:52 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  DH Richard and I have tickets for this afternoon's Ten Tenors at the Victoria Theatre in Dayton.

TOD - Two years ago, DS Rob completed his requirements for Eagle Scout at the beginning of his senior year in high school.  We gave him his choice of a big Eagle party in the fall or a big graduation party at the end of the school year.  He said, "Everybody graduates from high school - let's have a party now!"  So, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, we had his Eagle ceremony at our church and a big reception.  It was kind of like putting together a wedding.  DH Richard scripted the ceremony, which was conducted mostly by Scouts, Rob compiled a CD of his favorite music for before & after, and I planned the reception - subs, potato salad, chips, a cake, and my specialty shortbread cookies cut in the shape of the Eagle symbol.

It's kind of a tradition in our family, with those cookies, for me to make the shortbread ahead of time and then have guests share in the icing and decorating.  I'd made about 100 Eagle-shaped cookies and frozen them and the day after Thanksgiving my mom, my sister, my niece, and I decorated them with white icing and patriotic sprinkles.  They were a huge hit at the party.

There were about 75 people at the event, Rob had a great time, and, when graduation season rolled around we were all able to enjoy other kids' parties.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2005, 07:16:03 AM »

I have been to a number of large parties, but have never thrown a large party. My nephew John's wedding bash had over 400 guests, so that is probably the biggest party I have been to.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2005, 07:43:06 AM »

The Stolen Costume episode has come in for same negative comments you wrote about DR MATTH on different review sites.  There has also been some consternation that some of the episodes have the later season closing credits and that NONE of the episodes have the "Preview of Next Episode" that was included during the first season.

Well, I'm glad it wasn't my eyes playing tricks on me. I really was astonished and how ghastly the episode looked, and as it was one with a commentary, I kept expecting the speaker to comment on how awful the quality of the print was, but, naturally, he said nothing about that.

They're right; those previews that were used in the first season aren't there, and until you mentioned them, I had forgotten about them.

Have any of these folks contacted Warners and lodged complaints or gotten any explanations?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2005, 07:44:07 AM »

It would be funnier if it weren't true, DR ELMORE....oh my.

Pleasant Tab Hunter interview by Forrest Elliott - who is now Special Correspondent on Breakfast With the Arts....I liked the show better when he was the main person instead of this "girl" they have now.  Tab looks very good, and was promoting his book, but seemed a nice type of guy.  Anyone read the book?

I have the book, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm still reading the Henry Willson biography.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2005, 07:45:54 AM »

And, good morning!

A little bit too chilly for me to take my walk this morning, but I'll wait for this afternoon when it's to warm up to near 70 and walk then.

Beautiful day out. Perfect autumn day!

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2005, 07:47:01 AM »

Last night, DR Rodzinski wrote:

"Speaking of Red Skelton, just watched an early film of his called WHISTLING IN THE DARK. Hilarious! Highly recommended for comedy-suspense."

Yep, it's grand. I'm sure you know he did a series of these WHISTLING films, but the first is definitely the best. Some of the others are rather weak.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2005, 07:48:05 AM »

I am looking forward to SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN today. Never having seen this feature version, I'm going to be looking for any scenes that weren't in the TV two-part version.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2005, 07:49:10 AM »

Just saw this morning that HBO is not showing a new episode of ROME tonight. I forget if theWorld Series is on again tonight or if this is a traveling day.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2005, 07:52:54 AM »

My partner and I gave a house-warming at this house after we got our initial renovations done when we moved in here. We invited about fifty people, and it was a smashing success.

I remember cooking and cleaning all day in preparation for the evenings festivities. I did several different desserts while he did some finger foods, but we did cook everything ourselves. No caterers.

I remember the thing that got the most positive comment was a pizza fondue that he made. I don't know where he got the recipe, and he never made it again for any other parties we gave, but it was THE big hit of the night.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2005, 08:01:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: HARANGUE!
I think a lemon harangue pie would be too bitter to eat.

(Posted before reading Elmore's riff.  Like minds.   :-*)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 08:20:47 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2005, 08:02:57 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up.  I'm up.  I slept well, but today's matinee is at 1:00 - instead of 2:00 - and since I have to drive in today - and drive around looking for a parking space on the street (hopefully - instead of paying for a garage)...

Laters....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2005, 08:06:08 AM »

DR MATTH no explanation on the shoddy condition of THE STOLEN COSTUME has been commented upon, except that's the only copy they could find.

I guess it was too far gone for restoration, but how is that possible.  And since it was syndicated, weren't prints sent to individual stations?  I would guess there would have been at least 25 or 30 of them around at any one time....although some might have been 16mm dupes.

Strange.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2005, 08:06:47 AM »

Take the first spot you find, DR JOSE....it will be gone when you come back around the block!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2005, 08:13:49 AM »

Just in case you didn't know, DR MATTH, and any other interested readers.

Early Superman episodes and later The Andy Griffith Show were both filmed on the "back 40" of the old Pathe/RKO/Desilu lot.

Here are some interesting screen shots of both shows.  ;D

http://www.jimnolt.com/fortyacres1.htm

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2005, 08:18:03 AM »

Just in case you didn't know, DR MATTH, and any other interested readers.

Early Superman episodes and later The Andy Griffith Show were both filmed on the "back 40" of the old Pathe/RKO/Desilu lot.

Here are some interesting screen shots of both shows.  ;D

http://www.jimnolt.com/fortyacres1.htm

This is mentioned on a couple of the commentaries. The RKO lot is where GONE WITH THE WIND was filmed, too, George Reeves' first film.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2005, 08:19:33 AM »

I taped all of the SUPERMAN episodes from various channels many years ago to collect them all, and I'd be willing to bet my taped copy of "The Stolen Costume" is much better looking than the one on the set.

However, even if Warners found a decent print of the episode, they're not about to call back all those boxes to replace the disc.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2005, 08:20:55 AM »

I'm also wondering if the next boxed set, Season 2 that introduces Noel Neill as Lois and is the last season in black and white, will contain "Stamp Day for Superman"?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2005, 08:24:10 AM »

I'm also wondering if the next boxed set, Season 2 that introduces Noel Neill as Lois and is the last season in black and white, will contain "Stamp Day for Superman"?

Important questions to say the least!   8)

And of course season two is the last one of 26 episodes.  Subsequently season 3, 4, 5, and 6 only had 13 original episodes.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2005, 08:24:23 AM »

Der B offers this for the Word of the Day:

Quasimodo had a steady job.  Every day, harangue da bells.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2005, 08:27:25 AM »

Der B offers this for the Word of the Day:

Quasimodo had a steady job.  Every day, harangue da bells.

Sanctuary....sanctuary!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2005, 08:28:08 AM »

Watching THE FRENCH LINE on TCM.  

Leading men whose message I do NOT get:

Gilbert Roland
Robert Ryan
Joseph Capanella

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2005, 08:28:56 AM »

Important questions to say the least!   8)

And of course season two is the last one of 26 episodes.  Subsequently season 3, 4, 5, and 6 only had 13 original episodes.

I think I mentioned last night that the next boxed set comes ou mid-January, so the wait won't be long.

I think the next 26 are my favorite episodes of the entire series. The flying is done better (smoother), the look is still serious even if the plots are less dark than the first 26. Love "The Lady in Black" and "Beware the Wrecker."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2005, 08:28:57 AM »

Der Brucer and I have never thrown a party.  Yes, we once cooked dinner for my Dad and his girlfriend, but that's not a "party".  (But we were both very glad when said girlfriend dumped Dad for another guy.  Come to think of it, Dad was glad, too.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2005, 08:30:06 AM »

Tara is supposed to show up in THE MIND MACHINE in a shot or two.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2005, 08:30:45 AM »

I will finally get a DVD copy of MIDNIGHT LACE made this week. It comes on tomorrow afternoon at 4 p.m., and if all goes right, I will burn a DVD of it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up