Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ASKEW  (Read 23714 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:ASKEW
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2005, 12:25:29 PM »

The Lovely wife and I throw two big parties a year.  The first is our  annual Derby Bash for the Kentucky Derby.  This party seems to grow every year and the guest list gets bigger.  We usually invite 50-60 people to it.  Usually thirty-forty make it.  Because we're on the West Coast, the race usually is run a couple hours after the party starts,  We have a betting pool.  So the first couple of hours people come and survey the horses,read the tout sheet (culled from the papers and internet), and place their bets on their favourite horse.  

Food comes out early and stays out all afternoon...usually BBQ chicken, biscuits, cold slaw, cheese grits, devilled eggs, a relish tray, and The Lovely Wife's legendary and coveted bourbon balls, which are very labour-intensive and which she swears she'll never make again and each year does, caving in to public demand.  Another friend makes Derby Pie and the last few years we have been supplying the fixings for Mint Juleps.

There are televisions both inside the house and outside on the deck which stay tuned to the prelimmary races and then zero in on the Derby coverage and race.  We all gather around the tube and sing My Old Kentucky Home at the appropriate time. We used to pass out lyric sheets but now the words are usually captioned on the TV.

After the race is over, the party really gets in high gear.  At the core of this festivity is a contigent of KY. friends who understand what all the hoo-ha is about with the Derby.  But all our other friends are sort of mystified and charmed by this yearly ritual and wouldn't miss the party for anything.

The party usually starts at one and winds up at around eleven o' clock when the last die-hard stragglers drift out.  Sometimes those wee hours are the most fun when the group gets small enough to savour and The Lovely Wife and I can stop playing host.  The conversation gets very wicked and funny.

The other yearly party is our annual Holiday party usually given in the first weeks of December before everyone starts departing for the holidays.  

Though given inside, this one is also usually for the same sixty or so people and usually thirty-forty people show up.  And, like the Derby party, this one is an open house...so people seem to come in shifts and its always a manageable number.  

This used to be an annual tree-trimming party, but ever since we got a wrought-iron designer tree, we prefer to decorate it ourselves.  Also people just kept bringing us ornaments, many of which we can't or don't want to use.  Still they do bring presents (though this is not a requirement nor sought) and the base of the tree is always piled high with gifts after the party.  

The fare is usually a ham and turkey that my Mother sends us each Christmas, filled out with salad and other delicious side dishes (the well-supplied bowls of cashews always seem to be a hit).  Like the Derby, the main drink supplied is champagne, but there is also a variety of red and white non-bubbly wines, bottled water (sparkling and still), sparkling cider, egg nog, and soft drinks (the ubiquitious Diet Coke for BK, of course)

Like the Derby,  this party, starting around three or four (just when it gets dark enough for the tree lights to have an effect), goes to the wee hours with the hardcore cronies  sitting by the fire, chatting and stuffing themselves on left-overs, chocolate, and the dregs of champagne.

The really great thing over the years is to watch how all our friends have gotten to know each other and interact over the years. There's rarely anyone sitting like a lump in the corner.  Of course, it seems natural that the people one likes will usually like each other.  And there have been some truly surreal memories.  Such as Harlan Ellison jitterbugging with June Wilkinson to an old 45rpm, Miss Petunia in my kitchen (This is even more wonderful when you realize that the top of Harlan's head comes level to Ms. Wilkinson most ample assets.)

The Lovely Wife and I have also thrown fifty-year b'day parties for each other which were well-attended by the usual suspects.

For a period in the nineties, we used to have a once a month salon on a Sunday afternoon.  Anyone among our circle who wanted could show up.  We usually had a vat of chili on the stove and snacks.  There was a table full of games for those who wanted to play them, there was always a jig-saw puzzle in play.  Several friends would sing and play piano.  Folks could just sit out on the back balcony and read a book, if they wanted. Again, it was open house and people came and went like the Grand Hotel.  But we usually had a dozen or so people each month.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2005, 01:10:27 PM »

I might not have slept until 11 this morning, but I certainly got a most welcome 40 minute nap this afternoon. The combination of a filling lunch, a warm den and a comfy easy chair led to my slumbers.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2005, 01:11:35 PM »

Pogue do know how to throw a partay.  I, of course, have my annual Christmas Eve Do, but there have never been more than twenty people in attendance.  

I don't think I've ever thrown a biiiiig party - they are too unwieldy for me.  I've gone to a few, though.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2005, 01:12:02 PM »

I did manage to get laundry done, however, along with some TV watched.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2005, 01:15:24 PM »

I did watch "The Mind Machine" on THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, and yes, indeed, from the top of a hill one can glimpse the building that was used as the facade of Tara in GONE WITH THE WIND. The episode was in beautiful condition, too, and with the pause button and frame by frame advance, one can see George Reeves' stunt man throwing punches and receiving them in the long shots and as the one in the flying scenes who takes off from a standing position (complete with wires plainly visible).

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2005, 01:17:51 PM »

SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN was in good condition, too, and it was very interesting to see complete having only seen the two part condensation of the story on the TV series. Themusic was totally different from the music that was used when it was cut for TV, and I quite enjoyed it.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2005, 01:19:39 PM »

I finished the SUPERMAN package by watching the four Kellog's Sugar Frosted Flakes commercials with George Reeves (as Clark Kent) using his X-ray vision to watch kids insde their homes, pup tents, etc. enjoying the (then) new cereal.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2005, 01:21:40 PM »

Next up was "The Werewolf" episode of KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER that starred Eric Braedan as the title character and featured Dick Gautier as a swinging single on a cruise ship. The episode looked a bit grainier than the ones on the front side of the DVD, but was nevertheless in good condition.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2005, 01:22:30 PM »

For my Universal test disc of the day, I took OUT OF AFRICA off the shelf and watched the first 15 minutes of it. It seemed to play just fine and had no problems. I guess 12 MONKEYS will be the next one I test.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2005, 01:23:58 PM »

I then began watching the Val Lewton-Robert Wise chillder THE BODY SNATCHER off the DVR. Only got about 25 minutes in before sleep began to overtake me, so I put it on hold and will finish it when I go back downstairs later. The print looked in good shape, so far the best shapre of the Lewtons I've watched recorded off TCM.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 01:27:34 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2005, 01:25:32 PM »

I know what you mean about throwing a biiiig party. I have a hard time cooking for three guests and myself now. That's about as big a party as I attempt now being by myself.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2005, 01:43:33 PM »

In defense of our Higgins (why am I defending him?), he is only 51 years old.  Our Eliza is 29.  Also, he has suffered for the last year with colon cancer, and the effects of chemo on his system.  Not that this explains his acting talents, or lack of them; but does help to explain his rather gaunt appearance.

:o Thanks for the info, TCB.  A 29 to 51 age spread is not so bad, but he really does look a lot older than 51.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2005, 02:02:41 PM »

The question once again is: What is the biggest party you've ever thrown.  What was it for, how many people, what was served.

The biggest party that I've ever thrown was my 21st birthday party when I was in college.  I'm going to quote myself from July 30, 2005, when the topic was our most memorable birthday, because that was the biggest party that I've thrown (even though it was my birthday) and I'm just too lazy to rewrite it:

I was living on campus at Western Washington University and my suite-mates knew that my 21st birthday was coming up.  So we all planned this party and made invitations and a lot of people showed up (including many that I had never met before).  We put on the invitation that we were going to have a Disco Birthday party for me (I still had several Donna Summer albums...yes, this was in 1987 when vinyl still existed) and that gifts were not required but key chains (which I did and still do collect) were requested.  And since I was the only 21-year-old in the suite, I had to buy the keg of beer.  I didn't have to pay for it, just get it.  

So we had the party and no one threw up and we didn't get into any kind of trouble.  I didn't (and still don't) drink, but that night I forced myself to drink a large-ish cup o' beer.  It took me all night and I never even got a little buzz, but I drank it.  For the gifts, I got a lot of key chains, some even homemade, most of which I still have in boxes my extra bedroom.

It really was quite the evening.  People were coming and going the whole time.  We made a lot of noise, but no one complained...probably because the people who might've complained were there! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2005, 02:03:59 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - apparently I was TIRED!

Hey, elmore, didn't I have a somewhat amusing Thanksgiving dinner when I was in town doing Unsung Musicals and two other albums - at Marshall Mason's apartment, which I was subletting.

Yes, dear friend, you did!  It was a strange gathering of folk as I recall.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2005, 02:05:56 PM »

VARIETY gave a very positive review to the new 3 disc THE WIZARD OF OZ set that comes out this week. Looking forward to receiving mine at some point this week.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2005, 02:09:45 PM »

My 2002 New York State Theatre Institute intern Dylan and his friends just left; we watch the 1931 German film "M" for their film studies class, and then they caught the train back to Purchase.  I hadn't seen the film in years and the Criterion edition has a sparkling new unbawdlerized translation.  Now, if we can only get a new edition and translation of CARNIVAL IN FLANDERS.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2005, 02:11:49 PM »

Yes, dear friend, you did!  It was a strange gathering of folk as I recall.
A gathering of strange folk perhaps.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2005, 02:14:06 PM »

The first time I ever saw 'M' was in a film studies class as well. I took this particular class in the 1970s. That class introduced me to a lot of the foreign classics I had never seen before: THE BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN, 'M,' RULES OF THE GAME, GRAND ILLUSION, and so many others.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2005, 02:15:29 PM »

Off to do my cleaning chore but will be back later after a full evening of network TV.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2005, 02:32:10 PM »

A gathering of strange folk perhaps.

That, too!

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2005, 02:33:16 PM »

MY favourite kind of people DR Elmore. It's easier to mingle!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2005, 02:34:10 PM »

Did Lola dance the "Harangue" at the Copacabana?
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2005, 02:57:47 PM »

And she did the "Cha-Cha!"

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2005, 03:41:10 PM »

I am in the mood for some lunch and some Clint Walker.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2005, 04:02:35 PM »

I am in the mood for some lunch and some Clint Walker.

I just bet you are!

Jason

« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2005, 04:09:38 PM »

Good day, all. I've been lazing about all day and I have loved every second of it! This weekend has been fraught - fraught, I tell you - with Alfred Hitchcock films. Apparently I'm attempting to see them all in a very short period of time. I don't know why. Thursday night was VERTIGO at the cinema with Ben & Ant, Friday night was SHADOW OF A DOUBT and THE 39 STEPS, which I fell asleep about mid-way through, and today was the rest of THE 39 STEPS, THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH and SABOTEUR, or at least PART of SABOTEUR. The disc from NetFlix has a flaw and quit playing about 1h45m into the movie. Oh, me unhappy!

I'm still waiting for the Masterpiece Collection to arrive so I can revisit a few of my new favorites. Perhaps while my parents are here this coming weekend I can get them to spring for the first season of Alfred Hitchcock Presents as an early birthday gift. :)

Michael

« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2005, 04:17:43 PM »

Its dark and wind is starting to blow. The rains will be coming soon. If you don't hear from me it may be that there is no electricity.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2005, 04:22:40 PM »

Its dark and wind is starting to blow. The rains will be coming soon. If you don't hear from me it may be that there is no electricity.

Michael, best wishes!  

Danise

« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2005, 04:29:21 PM »

Hi folks,

Sorry to be E & T most of the day.  I was picking things up in the yard and then went out and bought some things.  Some batteries, some water, a few can goods and lots of dog treats and dog food.

It's starting to rain and lighting.  They say there is a tornado in Polk county.  Not heading our way.

Like Michael S, I would say that if you can't reach me, it's because the power has gone out.  Even though we won't get the hurricane force winds, we will get tropical force winds.  Enough to do a lot of damage.  

I heard they closed the County down so I wouldn't have gone to work tomorrow either way.  The only thing is that since I already scheduled it off as a vacation day, I won't get that day back.  I'm not to upset by that.   I'm just glad to be safe at home with Mom and the dogs.

Good vibes your way, Michael S!   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2005, 04:31:19 PM »

Best of thoughts to DRs Danise and Michael.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up