Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TITLE BOUT  (Read 28202 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TITLE BOUT
« on: November 23, 2003, 12:27:13 AM »

Well, now that we're all done reading the notes, let's have loads of lovely topics so we can have loads of lovely posts before we have loads of lovely CHAT.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 12:08:25 AM by bk »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THE TITLE BOUT
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 12:37:41 AM »

I will post and then I will go to sleep, then I will post more tomorrow.  I probably won't make it to the chat...rehearsals prevent it...

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 12:58:56 AM »

No pressure to write fascinating information in the first post. Thank you Ann. Yet another documentary programme on Egyptian civilization and the search for treasures is on TV as I type. They all blend in to one yet such information was not at our disposal when I was a kid at High School. Information overload yet still I would love to travel to Egypt to look at these wonders. Maybe in my next lifetime.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 02:10:09 AM »

Too sleepy to come up with something interesting to say right now, but I will try to post this picture that I've been trying to post for the last 48 hours...
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 02:15:12 AM »

Lulu:  That's priceless.  And it's precisely his look(s) and all he has done to attain them that make him a perfect figure for mockery and droll commentary and absolute ridicule.

This, of course, is how he originally looked:

Which, I suppose, proves that you can also turn a silk purse into a sow's ear!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 02:24:41 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Lulu

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2003, 03:36:06 AM »

OK, I've had my coffee (actually, am having it), so I can now make a stab at posting something insightful or, at the very least, something that makes at least a teensy bit of sense.

My, what an opinionated column today, and all about DVDs.  Not that I mind; on the contrary, I love it.  I am in total agreement about scholarly commentary - I once tried to listen to the scholarly track on Criterion's Rebecca (a truly incredible two-disc set that any fan of Hitchcock's first American film should buy; and soon, as Criterion is letting it go out of print this year) and it was good for nothing but a soporific.  We're talking Snoozeville, daddio.  The guy appeared to be reading his master's thesis.  A good professor can speak interestingly about film, given the chance.  But not when he's allowed to read his treatise on the subject.  Avoid that like the plague.  Strangely enough, a professor of mine did the commentary for the LD of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.  Though his class was always engaging and interesting, I'd be willing to bet that his commentary was just as tedious as the other scholarly ones.

Plaza Suite.  That brings back fond memories.  I did the beginning of the third act (the Lee Grant one in the movie) as a one-woman thingy for an acting class I was in around three years ago.  I just did the part up to where the husband shows up (my last line was something like, "There's your father at the door.") We had to do our scenes over and over in front of the class, and the weird thing was that around the third time I ran through it, some weird magical thing happened when I was pleading with Mimsy to come out of the bathroom and I got BIG laughs.  On the third run-through!  Either I experienced that transcendental moment where performers rhapsodize, "I became the character" or my audience had just noticed I had spinach caught between my teeth.  I'm hoping the former.

Naturally, on the fourth run-through I tried to replicate all the nuances of my third performance, but it was for naught - can't catch lightning in a bottle.  Ah, well...it was grand for that one moment in time. :)

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003, 03:41:11 AM »

Mr Barkalot: most of the movies will not hit OZ until easter. From what movies are the "Brother Bear" and "Mona Lisa Smile" or are they in fact he titles?

All of the 15 contendors, in each of the categories, I listed in yesterday's notes were the title of the film followed by the individual/s resposible for the score/song.

Brother Bear is an animated movie from Disney coming out on December 26 in Oz with voices including Joaquin Phoenix, Rick Moranis and Michael Clarke Duncan. Though it's received mediocre reviews dubbing the film pleasant, if unremarkable, it's one of four films this season vying for the three slots in the Animated Feature category.

Mona Lisa Smile is a 1950s period dramedy starring Julia Roberts wth Kirsten Dunst, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Julia Stiles and Marcia Gay Harden directed by Mike Newell (Donnie Brasco, Four Weddings and a Funeral). It'll be released on February 19 in Oz and December 19 here in the States.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 03:41:48 AM by Mr. Mark Bakalor »

Lulu

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003, 03:53:18 AM »

I've changed my .sig in honor of today's column.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2003, 05:16:49 AM »

May I just mention that MJ was VERY good looking before he...umm...what DID he do, exactly? Before he "changed". I wonder if he was still as weird back then, or if that came after the surgery. You couldn't PAY me to go to his ranch unsupervised. Looking at that face gives me chills...normal people don't look like they're about to pounce at you!

I'm working from 9-2, and then I have a room to clean and homework to do, so don't expect too many posts until those things have been finished.

The Swishy Shorts, blue teeshirt, and socks with moons on them.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Michael

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2003, 06:16:30 AM »

Below is a photo from an alternate ending for Finding Nemo that they did not use on the DVD
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2003, 06:18:15 AM »

Too sleepy to come up with something interesting to say right now, but I will try to post this picture that I've been trying to post for the last 48 hours...

Don't you love farce?
My fault, I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want...
Sorry, my dear!
And where are the clowns
Send in the clowns
Don't bother, they're here.

Isn't it rich?
Isn't it queer?
Losing my timing this late in my career.
And where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns...
Well, maybe next year.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 06:19:42 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2003, 06:19:08 AM »

I have to head out to a meeting at work now, but, before I left I wanted to thank Mark for his posting to HHW2 of the Oscar rundown.  It's been a couple of weeks since I visited Mr. Mark's own Oscar site, so his input here was great to see.
Now, like Tom from Oz, I shall try to track each track down and make myself a compilation disc of those nominees.
Has the Annie Lennox song been released yet?
Well, off to the meeting to see what changes lie in store for the restaurant as of January 1.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2003, 06:53:07 AM »

For Mr. Mark Bakalor

I have some questions about your Academy Award picks.

Have you or will you factor in the situation that there will be no screeners this year and that will effect the indies getting their films seen?

When an actor has two or more films (sean Penn for example) in contention for best actor honors will the major studio release get chosen over the indie or will the "duke it out" with the possiblility that he won't get the nomination?

Also when you have three strong lead performances as in Mystic River will the studio desiginate Lead and Supporting like they did with the ladies in Chicago?

Johnny Depp's performance in Pirates was wonderful in my opinion but because it is a comedic performance is this why he is further down in the list?

In the documentary category what about Lost In La Mancha or was it released last year?

How does Looney Tunes: Back In Action qualify for the animate category when it is mixed with live action?

I thought that I read somewhere that Warner Brothers was only going to promote one of the Matrix sequels for Oscar contention.

Do you also factor in when a film was release in the year as part of your equations?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 06:54:22 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2003, 07:02:34 AM »

Updating my question regarding Looney Tunes. Went to the Academy Award official site and yes it is eligable, but Sinbad: The Legend of the Seven Seas, Lil Pimp and Cowboy Bebop are not in contention. Jester Till and Tokyo Godfather are. I am sure this will change your listings
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2003, 07:24:55 AM »

Now why in the world wouldn't SINBAD's studio place it in contention. True, the movie was a notorious bomb, but from everything I've read, it was not the quality of the animation or performances that made it die at the box-office. I would think an Oscar nomination would be some solace from the drubbing of low box-office numbers.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2003, 07:27:23 AM »

Hey good morning all.

BK, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I love that you have a cute smiley in each first post!  Yeah for smilies.

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2003, 07:29:53 AM »

Btw, I also love the term demi-god.  Does that make me a demi-goddess? :)

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2003, 07:29:54 AM »

SOme scholarly commentary can be fantastic, however, when done with grace and without pretension. The two best laserdisc commentaries I've ever heard were John Fricke's on THE WIZARD OF OZ and Ron Haver's on SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. These are scholars who don't talk down to the audience, and their enthusiasm for the film in question is catching. Miles Kreuger's track on Criterion's SHOWBOAT is also very good, but I still like Fricke's and Haver's the best.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2003, 07:32:30 AM »

For DR Andrea: Ah the Queen Elizabeth. I was just there last weekend. Nice place.

Btw, before I go can someone please tell me what RonP and Mark were talking about in yesterday's notes. Something about  not being able to see a "tree" when looking at the previous day's notes????

Michael

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2003, 07:34:50 AM »

SOme scholarly commentary can be fantastic, however, when done with grace and without pretension. The two best laserdisc commentaries I've ever heard were John Fricke's on THE WIZARD OF OZ and Ron Haver's on SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. These are scholars who don't talk down to the audience, and their enthusiasm for the film in question is catching. Miles Kreuger's track on Criterion's SHOWBOAT is also very good, but I still like Fricke's and Haver's the best.

I would love Criterion to release Show Boat on DVD. I would actually pay the price for one of their cds if that was released.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2003, 07:35:23 AM »

For DR Andrea: Ah the Queen Elizabeth. I was just there last weekend. Nice place.

So was Prince Phillip/
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2003, 07:39:24 AM »

Good morning all!  I hope everyone slept well.  I know I did.  Had a really weird dream composed of things I saw, listened to  and did yesterday. How many people have Antonio Banderas and Michael Ball try to put together an end table for you?  Operative word there is try.  It looked like a transporter accident.

I sitting here sipping on a new brand of tea that I got yesterday at Sam’s Club.  It’s called Mystic Chai Spiced tea.  It’s very good.

One thing I love about going to Sam’s is the free sample section in the food department.  You get to try so many yummy things–that’s how I learned about the tea.

I LOVE the Michael Jackson mug shot! It is sooo on target.  LOL!

Have a good day all!  If theres a chat, I'll try to be back!

BTW--Many thanks for the Karma!

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2003, 07:49:06 AM »

On the recommendation of BK I went out and bought the Groucho Marx DVD set. The outtakes and "stag reels" are so funny. I thought I pass on one classic exchange from a radio show.

An Interview with  Mr. and Mrs Story of Bakersfield, CA. They had 20 kids!!

Groucho:Why do you have so many children? That a big responsibilty and a burden.

Mrs. Story: Well, because I love my children and I think that is our purpose  here on earth and I love my husband.

Groucho: I love my cigar too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2003, 08:06:13 AM »

That's a classic Groucho line. God, how I miss him!

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2003, 08:09:57 AM »

Speaking of the Marx Bros, Universal let its Paramount Marx Bros. films go out of print. I am certainly hoping they remaster them and put them out for the public to buy again. No person interested in comedy should go through his life without having experienced THE COCOANUTS, ANIMAL CRACKERS, MONKEY BUSINESS, HORSE FEATHERS, or DUCK SOUP.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2003, 08:17:05 AM »

I agree with Matt and even later Marx Brothers was better than no Marx Brothers.

I would also love to see Laurel and Hardy shorts release on DVD. I remember on Sunday afternoons that the CBC would air Laurel and Hardy films. Those were the good old days.

BTW the I have the Chaplin film collections on DVD Highly recommended.  But I do have a question. There are a couple of box sets of Chaplin shorts from his mutual days.
Is one set better than the other. I am looking for quality and remastering over content as both have basically the same selection of movies

Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2003, 08:17:25 AM »

Watching How to Suceed in Business Without Really Trying on TCM this morning.  One of  my favorite movies.  ;D

I haven't even begun to think about The Academy Awards yet....hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

It is a beautiful day here ... the last before cold weather and snow tomorrow.

The Indiana PBS stations did NOT show Oklahoma! last night and are saving it for their beg-a-thons no doubt.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2003, 08:22:00 AM »

I noticed that the Charlotte PBS station is showing OKLAHOMA! this coming Friday in a four hour block. The NC network PBS stations did it last night along with many other PBS stations.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2003, 08:25:58 AM »

I never got to see the original HOW TO SUCCEED on stage, so the movie was really exciting for me to see original people and Broadway replacements doing a good job with the material. I wish the DVD had been anamorphic, but it's better than nothing.

I think the most recent Chaplin Mutual releases have the best quality, but I got the first three disc releases of the Chaplin Mutuals, and they looked great to my eyes. Either way, you can't go wrong, DR Michael.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 08:27:15 AM by Matt H. »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2003, 08:43:10 AM »

Good morning!

<sniffle, sniffle>

Ah, the joys of sinus infections!

UGH!  :-[

I'll be all right.  I think part of this sinus crap is my exhaustion level after this opening week.  Who knew orchestra part editing could be so grueling at times?  -Well, I knew it would be, I just didn't think it would take so much out of me this time around.

Well... as for DVDs... Maybe I'll be able to comment on some DVDs after tomorrow... Maybe I'll actually unwrap(!) and put a DVD or two into my DVD player.... Which I don't think I've used in months at this point!

I'll be in the middle of Camelot tonight during chat, so, please accept my regrets.  I'm heading back home to Richmond after the show, and I'll check back in then... There may still be some lively and sparkling chat going on!

Until then...  -WOW!  Another BEAUTIFUL day here in the DC area!!!  Of course, I'll be inside...  but at least I get some nice knights to look at.  ;D

-Boy, did this ramble... Gotta run....
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up