Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SO FAR, SO GOOD  (Read 32093 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SO FAR, SO GOOD
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2005, 09:06:03 AM »

I need Everybody Ought To Have A Maid from the Vocal Score - the show version with the encores.  FJL, if you have it, or Jason, if you have it, can one of you fax it to me?  If so, drop me an e-mail at haineshisway@aol.com and I'll give you the number where to do so.  

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2005, 09:06:27 AM »

I read this amongst the list of requirements for US citizenship

"Language

Applicants for naturalization must be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language. "

You MUST be a US citizen to vot e in a US election... or even just the local school budget

So WHY oh WHY did I go to my polling center this morning to see

"Vote Aqui"  signs plastered all over and only ONE lonely "Vote Here" sign?   Why did I receive in the mail a voter's registration card that was entirely in Spanish on one side and English on the reverse?

I am becoming increasingly infuriated with seeing this country bend over backwards to accomodate one set of immigrants over all the other groups which have and are entering this country.  Why not Korean? Or Vietnamese? or Farsi? or Hindi? Italian? German? Hungarian? Russian? Hebrew? Egyptian? the list goes on and on.....

I believe that this "enabling behavior" only marginalizes the people in that community both by keeping them  "out of the mainstream" (as it is much  easier to stay where the language comes easy)  and secondly by angering the general populace who themselves had to learn the English language when they came here or are the children of those who did

Surely I am not the only one to whom this seems to be a problem... or am I?  

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2005, 09:11:05 AM »

DR Vixmom:  Politicians (i.e. Congress) see Mexican-Americans as the single most lucrative voting bloc out there and what you see in the polling places reflects their bid to woo the voter whose first language is Spanish.

I am with you, however.  To be a citizen of this country, you should be able to read, write and converse in English.

I also believe citizenship should be required of all parents whose children use our schools and for anyone/everyone on the public dole.

Call me non-PC, but call me a patriot!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 09:11:41 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2005, 09:14:26 AM »

Dan (the man) hit on the major thing that is wrong with movies...the lowly status of the writer.  When his vision is constantly perverted and pissed on, when he is thrown off the picture, and anywhere from two to twelve other writers can be thrown at the movie to fix it, when his voice is not equal to or more important than the director's, the star's, the producer's, or the studio head's will continue to get hodge-podge, thrown together flotsam with no distinct vision.  The vision of a film comes from the screenplay.  Writers write screenplays.  If it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage.  I've seen plenty of great screenplays ruined by bad directors, bad actors, bad producers, and studio executives.  I've yet to see a great film made from a bad script.

The next improvement would be to sweep out the twelve-year-old boy mentality that is entrenched in the studio ranks.  It would go a long way to eliminating mindless testosterone carnival thrill ride movies and this penchant for re-making bad sixties and seventies TV shows into features.

Here's some of the stuff that is seriously being developed right now in Hollywood (that doesn't necessarily mean that it will ever see the light of day).  How much of this would you pay good money to see:

TV:  Green Acres; The Jeffersons; Swat 2 (Did Swat 1 make money?); The Monkees; Sherman & Peabody; It Takes A Thief; Magnum P.I.; Hawaii Five-O; The Iron Chef; The Equalizer; Streets of San Francisco

Re-makes or sequels (Some of these movies are barely 20 years old, if that):  

Bunny Lake is Missing; Cooley High; House of Flying Daggers; Halloween: The Retribution; Children of the Corn; Fantastic Voyage; Star Chamber; Angel Heart; Gumball Rally The Hot Rock; Robocop; Kind Hearts & Coronets; Bell, Book & Candle; Toy Story 4;

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2005, 09:15:30 AM »

Today is voting day in California...a useless, expensive ego trip of the so-called "Governor" to pass a bunch of initiatives that are unnecessary and only serve to give him more power than he has been able to grab.

Polls show all the initiatives pretty much failing, from close to rout.  But low turnout could cause some upsets, depending on how well Arnold did in his campaigning over the past week.

I hope they all fail miserably.  If they do, his political future may also be finished.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 09:16:03 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2005, 09:18:38 AM »

Billy Wilder was lashing out at directors for failing to make good pictures back in the 1970s.

Critics at the time thought he was correct, only they correctly pointed out that he, himself, was making mostly stinkers.

"Fedora" anyone?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2005, 09:38:16 AM »

We had rain all night, and this morning was dark and ominous-looking.  The clouds were positively portentous.  But, they are clearning out.  There are patches of blue, rays of gold sunshine streaming out of them, and I hope we'll get cool breezes as a relief from the recent "still" air.

Jason

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2005, 09:41:47 AM »

BK: Your FAX is en route. Shall I mail this to you, too?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2005, 09:43:16 AM »

SPOILER:

"Medium" -- I watched last night's episode after having nodded off several times during the previous hour watching a PBS show on a megaflood in the Missoula Basin.

The opening was a stunner, and I was right there with Allison as she screamed herself awake!  I thought the show was pretty good, although it didn't go in the direction I thought it would.  I was very pleased it involved Joe more...and in clothing, albeit a loud Hawaiian shirt.   I cannot honesly say it held my attention the full hour because I was up and about doing various things preparatory for bedtime.

I'd get up during a commercial and not turn my attention immediately to the show once it returned, so I missed visuals, although I heard it all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2005, 09:46:10 AM »

Jason - if the fax comes through clearly, that should be fine.  I'll let you know when I pick it up, which won't be until about two.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2005, 09:46:20 AM »

Wonder where they got the character name Allison?  From Peyton Place no doubt.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2005, 09:49:23 AM »

DR Vixmom:  Politicians (i.e. Congress) see Mexican-Americans as the single most lucrative voting bloc out there and what you see in the polling places reflects their bid to woo the voter whose first language is Spanish.

I am with you, however.  To be a citizen of this country, you should be able to read, write and converse in English.

I also believe citizenship should be required of all parents whose children use our schools and for anyone/everyone on the public dole.

Call me non-PC, but call me a patriot!

Okay I must admit I am married to a non citizen so half the time the Vixter would have to stay out of school if citizen ship was required to attend   ;D

HOWEVER he is a LEGAL RESIDENT ALIEN which unfortunately a good portion of the populace on Long Island cannot claim.  >:(

As the spouse of a legal resident alien I will admit to be predujiced in favor of allowing them to attend our schools, receive our benefits as they are also generally working tax payers who do not enjoy the privilege of voting  

HOWEVER as far as allowing ILLEGAL aliens to have drivers licenses, attend outr schools, receive benfits etc etc etc etc

I am right there with you Ron!!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 09:53:36 AM by vixmom »

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2005, 09:53:51 AM »

JRand55, don't get rid of ALL the reality shows...I need something to watch on TV!

I don't mind remakes or movie versions of TV shows...as long as they are done well. The Brady Bunch movie was wonderful fun...the Bewitched movie was horrible.

I am hoping that the King Kong remake will be enjoyable....but even if it is bad, some good will come of it...they are releasing every King Kong movie under the sun on DVD to coincide with the new movie and that alone makes me very happy!

vixmom

« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2005, 09:55:09 AM »

eeew DR Pogue to almost all those movies

and I cannot imagine Kind Hearts and Coronets being done as well by anyone else.....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2005, 09:56:27 AM »

Children born inside the U.S., whether the parents or citizens or not, are U.S. citizens and entitled to full school, other benefits.

Legal Resident Aliens are not who I am talking of, or U.S. citizens married to non-citizens who reside here.

My concerns are those who cross the borders illegally with their families and then get full benefits of welfare, plus schools and driver's licenses, etc.  They do not have the benefit of formalized training in citizenship and they do not embrace the U.S., necessarily, as home.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2005, 09:57:27 AM »

Wonder where they got the character name Allison?  From Peyton Place no doubt.

Her character is based on a real person, also named Allison.

Jason

« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2005, 10:00:17 AM »

BK: I just realized that in my haste I wrote down the wrong acct. number on the cover sheet, so I just refaxed it with the right number. I hope that's not too confusing for Kinko's or whoever...

Jason

« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2005, 10:03:34 AM »

You won't be charged for having it FAXed twice, will you???

vixmom

« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2005, 10:03:41 AM »

Re TOD I would have to agree with DR Laura

The language thing is unnecessary  we do not need to hear F*** every few seconds or S*** or any thing else.  Movies got along fine without bad language for years and years and I don't think that language is necessary for us to figure out that the guy killing everyone with a machine gun is a bad man.. that's what acting is supposed to do fopr us.  I think throwing that language around is more than anything else a sign of a badly written show.  

Can anyone remember any vulgarity in the LOTR trilogy?  Vixdad and I were talking about that the other night, and all those battles -  but there were no bucketfuls of blood  and guts needed to get the point across that thousands were dying !

As for sex scenes, I must admit there have been a few bottoms that crossed the big screen that got my pulse racing... but really in the long run less is more.... I think seeing a couple starting to disrobe and sinking below the "eye level" of the camera can be much more sexy in the long run....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2005, 10:09:50 AM »

I think the problem with Chita is that she's done basically nothing in her long career as far as screen work is concerned.  She never picked up any chops.

Have you seen her in SWEET CHARITY?  She was never a beauty!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2005, 10:13:43 AM »

DR Elmore: Liz's "Meadowlark" was truly one of the major highlights of the evening. In fact, she very nearly succeeded in stealing Ms. Salonga's thunder with that piece. The arrangement sounded great!! I wondered how many of those charts last night were yours...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 10:16:47 AM by Jason »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2005, 10:15:45 AM »

Billy Wilder was lashing out at directors for failing to make good pictures back in the 1970s.

Critics at the time thought he was correct, only they correctly pointed out that he, himself, was making mostly stinkers.

"Fedora" anyone?

I recall that I liked FEDORA.  But it's been so long since I've seen it I can't say for sure why.

Is it on DVD?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2005, 10:30:23 AM »

I'm here, I'm here... I may walk a little funny, but I'm here!  Last Wednesday while getting up from the lunch table, someone said something funny and I laughed mid "getting up" and pulled something in my lower back.  I was down for 4 days or so.  Sunday, I went to work and sat through "West Side Story" with the lovely Diana DeGarmo as Maria - which wasn't bad... she has a great head voice, but some of the keys were lowered for her and she belted things she could have sung in her lovely head voice soprano.  All in all she was not bad.  However her "Oh no, Anita no" - the second one - was not sung well, she tried to belt that one, too and it just didn't work.  Anyhow, my back is slowly healing, driving is the worse.  I'll try to catch up with the posts I've missed, but it's hard to sit for a long period of time!!

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2005, 10:33:18 AM »

My concerns are those who cross the borders illegally with their families and then get full benefits of welfare, plus schools and driver's licenses, etc.  They do not have the benefit of formalized training in citizenship and they do not embrace the U.S., necessarily, as home.

Warning RANT ahead!!!

EXACTLY!!  We have  been having a big brouhaha out here recently because the  local Township evicted over 40 illegal immigrants who were living in a three bedroom, single family residence that was clearly in violation of local building codes. (The owner, BTW, had received several summones, warnings, notice of evictions etc over the past 18 months... but the $300 + a month she was getting from each tenant  was more enticing than the idea of playing by the rules).  

The next week a couple of more similar houses were treated the same way in the same area... and neighbors and supporters of the Township's actions have stated that they can point to at least another 30 houses that have not yet been closed down.  

The illegals and supporters of  "undocumented workers" had the nerve to protest (literally!  They picketed the County Executitive Building)  that  the evicted men should be compensated and free housing should be provided to them and they set up a tent city in a local park!

Where is INS in all of this?  Oh wait... they are using their considerable resources to dispatch a young man who came here with his parents (l1 legal resident alien , 1 citizen) when he was 12, grew up on Long Island,  attended the schools here,  joined the US ARMY, served honorably for 5 years, was honorably discharged... his crime?  After he was discharged form the Army, which happened while he was stationed in Germany, he spent too long out of the country (18 months) while working in a civilian support post  FOR THE US ARMY... which he only did because his son, who was born with a serious heart condition, was receiving a series of heart  operations and could not be moved back here to "home" without danger....when he came back he immediately applied to continue his resident alien status (which had only just lapsed) while awaiting citizenship and has been denied for being  "too long abroad"

This is literally blocks away from where a tent city of more than 100 self declared "undocumented workers" are living... untroubled by so much as a glance from the INS!

>:( >:( >:(

Okay I'll get off my soapbox for a while now....

end of rant

for now..... :D  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2005, 10:35:53 AM »

I'm here, I'm here... I may walk a little funny, but I'm here!  Last Wednesday while getting up from the lunch table, someone said something funny and I laughed mid "getting up" and pulled something in my lower back.  I was down for 4 days or so.  Sunday, I went to work and sat through "West Side Story" with the lovely Diana DeGarmo as Maria - which wasn't bad... she has a great head voice, but some of the keys were lowered for her and she belted things she could have sung in her lovely head voice soprano.  All in all she was not bad.  However her "Oh no, Anita no" - the second one - was not sung well, she tried to belt that one, too and it just didn't work.  Anyhow, my back is slowly healing, driving is the worse.  I'll try to catch up with the posts I've missed, but it's hard to sit for a long period of time!!

Oh my, DR MATtHEW.  How are you at walking AND chewing gum?  I have days when that is a problem.  8)

Oh, well....then she couldn't have been named after Allison you-know-who.  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2005, 10:36:33 AM »

~~~Quick Healing Back Vibes~~~~

vixmom

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2005, 10:37:13 AM »

Which reminds me... DR Michael Shayne, how is your back doing?

vixmom

« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2005, 10:38:18 AM »

Oh my, DR MATtHEW.  How are you at walking AND chewing gum?  I have days when that is a problem.  8)

Oh, well....then she couldn't have been named after Allison you-know-who.  ;D
Well maybe the original Allison was ..... ya never knows...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2005, 10:40:44 AM »

Does anyone here have the full score to A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum?

I do, BK!  what do you need?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2005, 10:41:48 AM »

Helpful Hint for the Day:  Never EVER sneeze while in an untoward position.

You can throw yourself some serious hurt.

Define untoward position?  Well, let's say you are in a book shop, and a book you want to see is on a lower shelf.  You squat down, pull the book and, while squatting (or hunkering), you stir up some dust and sneeze.  You can throw out your back by being in that position and sneezing.  I've seen it happen.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up