Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BLEARY-EYED ME  (Read 35481 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE BLEARY-EYED ME
« on: November 14, 2005, 12:17:50 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have made you bleary-eyed, and now it is time for you to post until the bleary-eyed cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 12:11:10 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE BLEARY-EYED ME
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 12:18:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: BILGE!

And let's have some word-of-the-day usage instead of everyone just ignoring it like so much fish.

BILGE, baby, BILGE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 12:26:45 AM »

When I first left home l lived in an attic "apartment" in West Hampstead London. I lived there for about six months. I loved the "flat" and loved the area and Hampstead Village. I shared the flat with two Australian girls I had met on board ship coming to the UK from Melbounre (via the Panama Canal).  I then moved to much cheaper"digs" near to Arsenal Football ground (Highbury). The flat was above a Chinese Cafe..  An "interesting" area and quite a contrast to my first six months in London. This time I was sharing with two Brits - one from Wigan and the other from Sommerset.   I went to visit the areas last year and in 30+ years they have not changed much at all. I could quite happily live in London. I know it better than my own home city here on the other side of the world.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 12:28:26 AM »

"Titanic" - wasn't that "The Battle Of The Bilge"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 12:47:42 AM »

My first apartment (other than on-campus housing at college) was during my second senior year (I was supposed to be going for a 5-year degree).  Anyway, I got an apartment at a converted hotel that had been built in the 1920s.  It was a studio with a trundle bed (that I never slept on) and an actual pie cooler in the kitchenette.  I lived there for a year and after I graduated, I stayed for the summer but I never got a job anywhere in Bellingham, so I moved back in with my parents.  After a couple of months, I got a job at the place I'm still working (but in a different job) and in less than a year, I got my first apartment with a roommate and have never lived with my parents since.  For about five and a half years (up until two years ago) I did live with my sister in the house that I'm now renting.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 04:41:36 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm suspecting our E&T DRJoey is waiting to board a plane for his TALE OF TWO CIRIES jaunt to NYCthis morning.  After the showing/whatever, it's back to LaGuardia and a return flight.  Send him a lot of smooth sailing vibes todat.  His schedule needs them.

I finished the two Mario Frangoulis orchestral pieces around 10:30 last night, wrote up an invoice and got them ready to deliver today.  I've now got a lot of songs to work on for him this week, and today I also find what fresh hell the Men's Chorus wants to dump on me for their Dec. 14 concert.

Apartments?  I had three different ones in Oxford, Ohio, one in Shippensburg, PA, for a year, then seven years chez Mom and Dad before moving to NYC, which was either the end of a really prolonged adolescence or the beginning of another.  

My first apartment on 94th Street and Amsterdam was huge:  2 bedrooms, living room, dining room, and kitchen,  The space was fantastic, but the ghost was terrifying and the landlord was insane.  Every night, around 4:30 am, my bedroom door would violently and noisily burst open, which scared the hell out of me.  The landlord was a young man but a total sleazebag who in the late 1980s was convicted of putting a hit on a tenant.  His mother was the owner of many upper West Side buildings but he "managed" them for her.  

My roommate at the time was a very pretty Irish lady, Melanie Cargill, stepdaughter of the actor Jack MacGowran who was in the film TOM JONES with Albert Finney and who died after filming THE EXORCIST.  The landlord was always hitting on Ms Cargill, and we both hated him for being both a constant nuisance and a total loss as a landlord:  about twice a week, around 2 am, water would pour from the lighting fixture in our bathroom ceiling and flood the bathroom.  Our complaints to the landlord and drunk super, and finally to the City's apartment control offices,  got us nowhere so Melanie finally called the board of health to complain:  she told them that no one was responding to our calls for help and that if the water turned out to be sewage, she planned to swe the asses off every New York City bureau dealing with landlord/tenant situations.  That afternoon the agents came to check out the bathroom and force the landlord to do something, after two or three months of this nonsense.

Melanie moved out shortly after that to marry her boyfriend and I went through several rounds of war over getting a roommate:  the landlord kept trying to bring in cute young ladies he thought might date him if he helped with an apartment and I wanted a roommate with whom I got along and, preferably, already knew.  A divorced friend from college was ready to move in but the landlord wouldn't accept the man's dog, although others in the building had pets.  One day the landlord let it slip about how angry he was at me for having to pay for the bathroom repairs, and I decided it was time to get out.  A mutual acquaintance of DRGinny's and mine ended up conducting the Richard Burton tour of CAMELOT in 1980, and he moved into the spare room.  He mentioned one day how the landlord was stopping by daily for visits, and even asked him how much he was being paid to conduct CAMELOT.  I started looking for a new apartment that day, found the one I now live in within a week, and by July 15, I had moved to this apartment.

The first night I was here, the phone rang, and it was my former landlord asking how the new apartment was.  I said to him, "Never call me again," and he hasn't.  I passed him on Broadway around 90th Street several months later ad ignored him.  Now I hope the bastard's still in jail and somebody's bitch.  I do miss the space, but my ghost here is much less terrifying.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 04:55:35 AM »

My first apartment was one I shared in Denver when I went to school there. I liked it but didn't care for the person I shared it with.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 05:11:07 AM »

My first living space away from home was a dorm room on the East Bank of the University of Minnesota campus. I loved it, even though I lived with Terrible Timmy Horgan from Hibbing Minnesota. He had never been off the Iron Range (an area in Northern Minnesota) and was determined to party his way through his freshman year. I ended up not being in my dorm room much anyway because I met someone and began staying with him at his apartment as much as possible. The summer that I was cast in The Streets of New York on the Showboat I lived in his apartment while he went to Colorado to be a camp counselor at his old youth camp. I lived on the 14th floor of a high rise in Minneapolis. It was a few blocks from Loring Park and a quick walk to the Guthrie Theatre and Walker Art Center. I loved it! The apartment was nothing special, just a box in a tall building but the freedom of living in my own place and doing a show was exhiliarating. When school was out I lived with my sister for a while and then while doing a community theatre show I met another actor who was getting divorced. His wife was moving out and he was keeping the house but needed roommates to help with the expenses. I moved in along with two other actors. It was a small house in Maplewood, just outside the border of Saint Paul. That was even better. We had wonderful times at that house. I still keep in touch with Jim (he lives in Richmond, VA now) and I hope to get down to DC to see him and Chris Bloch from Jose's production of Damn Yankees.

I didn't move around much when I moved to New York (not as much as other friends, that is). I initially stayed on 14th Street btwn 8th & 9th Avenues for about a month. Then I moved into my first real New York Apartment. It was on 92nd Street and West End Avenue (Magic Show). It was a small one bedroom. Two friends from Minnesota came out and we moved in together. Two gay men and a woman. She slept in the living room, I slept on the top of the big frame bed (it was not quite a bunk bed but almost) and Rich slept on a futon on the floor. Both Rich and Marianne HATED, HATED, HATED living in New York and by December (after moving into the place in October) Marianne was back in Minnesota. Rich left soon after (in February) and I had the place to myself which would have been OK if I had a job and didn't have to pay the exorbitant $600 a month rent. At that time it was very expensive. I did have an understanding landlord and I also asked Marianne and Rich (since they had signed the lease) to cough up a little money since they bailed on me. I finally did find a roommate but that didn't last and I call he spring and summer of 1981 my months of poverty. I paid the rent and phone each month (other utilities were included) but didn't have much left over. I had a job at an office on 30th Street and 3rd Avenue for a creepy man who ran an electrical supply company. I used to walk to and from work every day (from 92nd and West End to 30th and 3rd) because it was cheaper than taking the subway. I even walked in the rain. It saved me money and kept me in shape! Finally in the fall, two other people from Minnesota moved to NYC and were looking for a place. They stayed with me for a couple of months, then I got cast in Sesame Street Live and went on the road. They took over the apartment. When I returned I lived with a friend on 14th Street again but this time at the other end, between First Avenue and Avenue A (Alphabet City). I then moved into a sublet on 65th and First Avenue and then I got an apartment on 46th and 10th (awful neighborhood, hateful landlord, all around yuck!) and then I met my ex, who is now a good friend. He lived on 16th Street in Chelsea. We moved in together in 1983. When we broke up in 1991 he went to Belgium and I kept the apartment. I've been in this place since 1983 and love it. It's our home (me and Anthony). The thought of moving would make me shake in terror (especially because rents are so high, even in the outer boroughs). This is turning into a novella and I have to get to work.

Later!

FJL

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 05:46:38 AM »

Are we talking about after officially leaving home for good, or do dorm rooms count?  I lived in three different dorm rooms during law school, but then went back to live with my parents again for about three years.  

So the first place I lived in after "officially" moving out in 1986 was a studio apartment that came fully furnished on 57th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues.  I had worked part-time during college at 57th and 3rd, and had always told myself that I wanted to live in that area someday when I could afford it, and six years later, I could sort-of manage a studio in that area, so i grabbed it when I found it.  The furnishings were quite simple but sweet, and the move in was oh so simple, since I was able to leave so much of my stuff at my parents' place in Brooklyn, and move in slowly.  

My mother and father did everything they could to keep her 26-year-old baby from leaving home, but the situation was ideal.  Fully, tastefully furnished, rent not that exorbitant for Manhattan, lovely neighborhood.  Finally, with nothing else to say, my Mom (who has delicious comic timing, even when she tries to be serious) looked at me and said, starting off deadpan but hitting the word "Crazy" real hard:  "Well, to be honest with you, I don't know if this is such a safe block to live on, I mean, with that CRAAAAZY Eddie store right downstairs."  (Only my Mom could make CRAAAAZY Eddie sound like it must be some sort of nuthouse.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 06:00:03 AM »

Monday....36 degrees.  And the world didn't end!

I meant DR DANISE and her doghouse last night, but typed DR GINNY....whew!

Good travel and TWO CITES vibes for DRJOEY.  I am always happy for someone to get out of Indiana...even for just awhile.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 06:01:57 AM »

Hmmmm....37 year old WWE wrestling star found dead in his hotel room in Minnesota.  Sad.  As one wrestler said: "That organization has a great entrance program....but its exit program sucks."

FJL

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 06:01:59 AM »

Thanks, BK, for mentioning in the notes the LAST STARFIGHTER reunion party in honor of the CD's street date tomorrow.  13 of the 15 actors will be at the party (the two who will be E&T do have darn good reasons for not being able to make it), and we're thrilled that the group has stayed close since doing the show and recording the CD.  I don't know if I'll be set up to post about it DURING the party, although I'll try :) but we haven't had this much buzz here over a party since the HHW gang came over during the NY walking tour, and at some point we expect to do a toast to BK and Kritzerland and HHW.  So if you feel vibes being sent around 7:30 or 8:00 Eastern time or so, those will be emanating from Hell's Kitchen in New York.

Thanks again to BK and Kritzerland and HHW for all the support for the project.  Not to get mushy, and as I've mentioned before, BK, you've been on such a winning streak with the critical reaction to Kritzerland's releases thus far, and with the official street date of our CD actually a day away, Skip and I are thrilled that you've put your resources, your tremendous skills, and your name and the name of your company behind our project.  

« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 06:47:53 AM by FJL »

Ben

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 06:02:48 AM »

Oh, my. Crazy Eddie's. I remember that store. We got an air conditioner there at the Sixth Avenue and 8th Street location in 1986. Now it's an FYE if I recall correctly.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 06:03:19 AM »

Donna Reed! :)

Any actress who can play Mary Bailey (the proposal scene always makes me cry) AND Sacajawea is pretty special!

td

• td
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 06:25:53 AM »

"Titanic" - wasn't that "The Battle Of The Bilge"

Kate Winslet was not THAT fat!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 06:34:37 AM »

I like the soulful sounds of songstress Mary J. Bilge.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 06:35:05 AM »

Good morning.... I think we may have a modem problem rather than an AOL problem as I couldn't get a connection all weekend.  The vixdad is going to try to take a look at the innards of the home computer tonight .  So that's why I was E & T.

I also seemed to have developed the Vixter's laryngitis which has made this a very quiet weekend all around as I sent the Vixter & Vixdad out for the day on Saturday (a beautiful warm & sunny day ) to go and play and leave me in peace to try and clean out closets and drawers, swap the summer for the winter clothes etc etc

They went to see that new movie Zathura and quite enjoyed it!

Then Sunday the Vixter and I had church and Sunday School and then we went shopping to get the makings of  Thanksgiving dinner basket  (we took charge of that project for the troop) which took visits to several stores and then "putting it together" ( ooh!  snuck in a Sondheim reference!) and then she was off to Youth Group and I was off to slumberland, watched part of Penn & Teller's underwater magic show and then switched on PBS's Masterpiece Theater to see The Virgin Queen, but ... I was barely awake when Vixdad came home at  at 9:15 after picking the Vixter up from Youth Group.  Next thing I knew it was this morning and my voice, which had been taking little jaunts off on its own all weekend,  was nowhere to be found.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 07:01:19 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 06:45:56 AM »

First apartment: 2 bedroom, second story 1970s era apartment with ceiling heat (!). I moved in with my roommate Greg Swanson in 1983. Greg worked the front desk of the Mark Antony Hotel, which is also where I was working.

I only lived there for 6 months and then moved north to Salem in January of 1984.

The apartment was nothing to write home about, in fact the whole complex was a bit on the dumpy side now that I look back at it, but it is where I found my cat Boo Boo, a little black and white kitten who just wandered in the front door one day and never left! He was a cutie!

vixmom

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 06:46:54 AM »

TOD:

My first apartment (at the age of 21) was the basement of  my friends' house, we actually shared the house more than had apartments in it as I came in the front door and through their living room and kitchen to get down to my space, which was the finished basement where I had a livingroom, a bedroom and a study.  There was also a laundrey room which we all used and we shared the kithen and the bathroom.  

When I first moved in they were a young married couple, I stayed through the birth of two sons (I'm the godmother of the youngest) and the  subsequent divorce, the wife moved out leaving the kids and the husband. I am sure all the neighbors were very confused as to who was who in that house.  (especially as the boys were blonde like me, but both parents were brunettes, but she was trhe clearly the one that was pregnant as back then I still had a thyroid, smoked a ridiculous amount [tobacco products mind you], and weighed about as much as my left leg currently does.) By time I moved out the oldest boy was in first grade and the younger in nursery school.

I moved out to move in with vixdad to whom I had become enagaged.

FJL

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 06:56:46 AM »

Word of the day:  I used to make fresh BILGE-in' waffles when i worked in Coney Island.  They tasted great, and we advertised them as fresh Belgian waffles, but the bilge part was the copious amounts of lard that we put in the waffles, and we hid the chunk-o'-lard under the counter lest the customers see the lard and run away scared.  (Of course, if anyone asked , we had to say they were made with lard, but usually no one asked.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 06:57:05 AM »

Good Morning!

Well... I basically have a 16-hour day ahead of me... So...

Laters...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2005, 06:57:21 AM »

People move away from home?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2005, 06:57:59 AM »

Kate Winslet was not THAT fat!

She was zaftig.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2005, 06:58:44 AM »

DR td - As for you being a "tramp"...  Well, get in line, boy, get in line!

;D

*That was for you DR elmore.  :)

**And, actually, I'm currently working with Christopher Sieber's equally hunky - and fellow Advocate cover-man (one of the gay marriage issues), Kevin M. Burrows in Damn Yankees.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 07:03:39 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2005, 07:00:38 AM »

Jose - Just caught up.  Thanks for the greetings from Kay in response to our greeting.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2005, 07:04:33 AM »

Jose - Just caught up.  Thanks for the greetings from Kay in response to our greeting.

You're most welcome.  -And she believes that someone near and dear to you has a special day coming up soon, n'est-ce pas?
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2005, 07:04:51 AM »

Now to try to catch up

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2005, 07:04:58 AM »

OK... Now I really have to head to the subway...

Once again...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2005, 07:17:12 AM »

Those damn yankees!

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2005, 08:00:21 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It's my day off and I've already been to the doctor for a routine check-up that included blood tests - always an ordeal for me.  Now, I'm mainlining coffee which I couldn't have until after the appointment.  Later, it's off to pick up my car, which also had a routine check-up this morning, have my hair cut, and meet my mom and her sister for lunch at a local coffee shop.

TOD - Not counting University of Michigan residence halls, my first real apartment was here in Middletown, OH, when I came here to accept my first professional library job.  It was in a modern complex out by the interstate, ground floor with a walk-out patio.  A few years later, I moved into town, nearer to the campus where I worked.  That apartment was on the top floor of a building that sat high on a hill.  I loved the view - sat on my balcony one beautiful Saturday and watched the Blue Angels perform an air show.  I could also see the major intersection through which DH Richard drove when he came to pick me up for dates.  He proposed to me at the dining room table in that apartment.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up