Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BLEARY-EYED ME  (Read 34551 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:THE BLEARY-EYED ME
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2005, 08:40:35 AM »

It is also National American Teddy Bear Day!

So if you go out in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2005, 08:47:04 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
                    ;D
                    ;D
               ;D
          ;D
              ;D
                   ;D
                   ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D [/move]
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2005, 08:52:11 AM »

Good morning, all.

My vehicle is with AAMCO all day.  Hopefully, no complications will arise and all will go as predicted.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2005, 08:52:14 AM »

Vixmom, did the Vixter sing this version???

We Three Kings of Orient Are
Tried to Smoke a Rubber Cigar
It Was Loaded
It Exploded
Now They're on Yonder Star

Hope no one took offense  :)

She doesn't know that version, she knows the one Vixdad taught her

"We three kings of
Leister Square
selling women's underwear
how fantastic
great elastic
Three and eleven a pair"

(Neither was that the version she sang at the ocncert although she laughingly threatened to a couple of times)

Oh dear, now I've probably gone and offended elmore as well.....

« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 09:01:05 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2005, 08:56:53 AM »

This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.  
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2005, 08:57:19 AM »

Well, that worked.
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2005, 08:57:22 AM »

Had a busy, busy weekend.  Did a bit of cleaning/clearing out -- made tons of room in a hall closet by throwing stuff away and putting stuff aside to get rid of via donations.

Also eradicated my piles of DVDs by doing some filing and rearranging and such.  It's great to have things in their proper places.

Watched on DVD over the weekend:

"Nicholas and Alexandra" (Franklin Schaffner)
"Summertime" (David Lean)
"The Four Feathers" (Alexander Korda)

They were all three splendid entertainments.  It was the first time I had ever seen the original cut of "Nicholas and Alexandra" -- quite a few scenes were new to me and added quite a bit to the drama, intimate though it was.  The main problem with this film is that the two main characters aren't really admirable or lamentable.  They screwed Russia and her people and destroyed themselves in the process.  The death of the children is what moves me the most.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2005, 08:58:22 AM »

Well, that worked.

Yes...but what was the point????

:D

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2005, 08:59:48 AM »

BTW, I don't really watch WEST WING and am not much in the know about it, but what was the general concensus about which character won the debate? And who was congratualted on the show last night as having won it? (Probably both sides think his candidate won since last night's episode was shot weeks ago, I'm guessing.)

There was no West Wing this past Sunday because of "Penn & Teller's Special" followed by "SNL's The 80's" Special

I am annoyed that Arrested Development was cancelled,. It seems if they want to kill a show, they take it off it's usual they keep putting it  on hiatus and then they act suprised when a huge amount of people don't tune in when they finally deem fit to air it again

Malcolm In the Middle is another one I expect to hear is cancelled.  I haven't seen a single episode this year although we were regular viewers when it was on on Sunday nights , now I think it's been moved to Fridays... but when ever I tried tuning in it wasn't there because of some "special programming"...

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2005, 09:03:28 AM »

It was just the picture attachment I tried to post that wouldn't work, I guess.

Howsomever, now to more important things.

_________________________________________________ __

I was channeling the ghost of Emily Littella the other day, and she said to me, she said:

"What's all this talk I keep hearing about A Reptile Dysfunction?  If some lizard is dysfunctional, why the heck should I care?  

"We have enough dysfunctional human families around we should be worried about.  I say, let's take care of them and let the reptiles take care of themselves!"
--Wayland Flowers

FJL

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2005, 09:03:42 AM »

Jose - Yes, Kay is right.  Skip's birthday is this Wednesday, Nov. 16th  (almost exactly nine months to the day after Valentine's Day.)  I'm hoping Do-Re-Milla will once again mention him on those sites where she posts theater-related birthdays, and that (ahem! cough! cough!) any other sites that mention birthdays will follow suit.  :)  

vixmom

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2005, 09:05:41 AM »

This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.   This is a test.  

I am sorry.  I am afraid you are going to be receiving a poor grade on this essay.  Sentence structure is simplistic and repetitive.  Writing does not display evidence of originality of thought or expression.  The topic sentence is not  supported. The writing does not fully explore the topic.  Weak conclusion.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 09:07:52 AM by vixmom »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2005, 09:06:34 AM »

OMG - and I didn't study!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2005, 09:07:42 AM »

She doesn't know that version, she knows the one Vixdad taught her

"We three kings of
Leister Square
selling women's underwear
how fantastic
great elastic
Three and eleven a pair"

(Neither was that the version she sang at the ocncert although she laughingly threatened to a couple of times)

Oh dear, now I've probably gone and offended elmore as well.....

I am so offended by these perversions!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2005, 09:07:43 AM »

My first apartment:

Picture it -- Vicenza, Italy.  1973.  It's summer.  One Navy Journalist/Broadcaster has been assigned to the U.S. Army post Caserma Ederle to work in the Southern European Network radio station, a division of Armed Forces Radio.

One of two Navy men assigned -- a proportional billet, along with Air Force personnel as the station served all military facilities in Italy -- I was single and there was no room in the barracks for me on a permanent basis as I was not assigned to the Army.

I found an apartment building a little under two miles from the post, beautifully situated between two cornfields on a road parallel to the main road entering town.  I had a third (top) floor apartment just over the landlord's...there were six apartments total...two on each floor.  I had a balcony off my living room and a balcony off my bedroom (in the rear).  It was a two-bedroom apartment.  All the floors were marble.  The apartment was generous in size, but the kitchen was small.  

This was where (and when) I began learning to cook.  My mom sent me my favorite recipes.  For my first Christmas, my folks sent me a crockpot (which I still have) and my first New Year's in that apartment, I cooked a "boeuf bourguignon" from a recipe that came with the crockpot.  It was delish.

It was my very first home away from home, and I loved it with all my heart.  I had a view from my living room across the cornfield to the Caserma.  From my bedroom balcony, I had a view of a structure (called "La Rotonda") built by architect Andrea Palladio...it was sitting in the middle of surrounding fields with no structures nearby.  This building was the inspiration/model for the central part of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello.  Behind it were some hills, atop which was a monastery.  To the right, I could see the city of Vicenza.  

I could walk to work in just under 20 minutes, if I had to.  I had a bicycle at first, and that took me all of 10 minutes to ride to work.  But I often worked nights.  I had read, a year or so before, Tom Tryon's "Harvest Home", so riding my bicycle after dark on the road that cut through cornfields was an "experience."  Often it was foggy, and my imagination was fertile, but I never freaked/wigged out. Just gave myself a fit of giggles every now and again.

I also bought a second-hand car -- from my conversational Italian instructor.  It was a 1963 Fiat four-door.  It didn't have much get-up-and-go, but it didn't need much.  I drove it on rainy days, or when I wanted to shop in the commissary.  Mostly, my forays into the city of Vicenza were on bicycle, along with the majority of other citizens there.

I had lived in the building several months when, one fine crisp autumn day, I looked out and to the right, and beyond the city I could see the Italian alps, aka the Dolomites, in the distance.  

Living in the industrial north, one had many days of fog or smog blocking such views.  But when it was on, it was ON!

I lived in this apartment two years.  I had many wonderful times there, and it's one of my fondest memories.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 09:18:35 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2005, 09:07:51 AM »

DR BEN - that's the version WE sang in grade school.  FOR a long time I thought Oryentar was where they were from!

I like the women's undies version as well.  New to me!  Where else on ALL of the internet can you learn NEW words to an familiar carol?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2005, 09:09:28 AM »

My first appointment:

Picture it -- Vicenza, Italy.  1973.  It's summer.  One Navy Journalist/Broadcaster has been assigned to the U.S. Army post Caserma Ederle to work in the Southern European Network radio station, a division of Armed Forces Radio.

One of two Navy men assigned -- a proportional billet, along with Air Force personnel as the station served all military facilities in Italy -- I was single and there was no room in the barracks for me on a permanent basis as I was not assigned to the Army.

I found an apartment building a little under two miles from the post, beautifully situated between two cornfields on a road parallel to the main road entering town.  I had a third (top) floor apartment just over the landlord's...there were six apartments total...two on each floor.  I had a balcony off my living room and a balcony off my bedroom (in the rear).  It was a two-bedroom apartment.  All the floors were marble.  The apartment was generous in size, but the kitchen was small.  

It was my very first home away from home, and I loved it with all my heart.  I had a view from my living room across the cornfield to the Caserma.  From my bedroom balcony, I had a view of a structure built by architect Andrea Palladio...it was sitting in the middle of surrounding fields with no structures nearby.  This building was the inspiration/model for the central part of Jefferson' Monticello.  Behind it were some hills, atop which was a monastery.  To the right, I could see the city of Vicenza.  

I had lived in the building several months when, one fine crisp autumn day, I looked out and to the right, and beyond the city I could see the Italian alps, aka the Dolomites, in the distance.  

Living in the industrial north, one had many days of fog or smog blocking such views.  But when it was on, it was ON!

I lived in this apartment two years.  I had many wonderful times there, and it's one of my fondest memories.

DR RLP - you must post photos of this place!

vixmom

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2005, 09:10:38 AM »

I am so offended by these perversions!

Will a kiss or seven make you forgive and forget?

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2005, 09:11:07 AM »

DR Jason, that story cracked me up! :)

Jason

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2005, 09:13:44 AM »

Jose - Yes, Kay is right.  Skip's birthday is this Wednesday, Nov. 16th  (almost exactly nine months to the day after Valentine's Day.)  I'm hoping Do-Re-Milla will once again mention him on those sites where she posts theater-related birthdays, and that (ahem! cough! cough!) any other sites that mention birthdays will follow suit.  :)  

All the cool kids were conceived on Valentine's Day. Well, Skip and I were, at least. :D

td

• td
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2005, 09:17:46 AM »

DR td - As for you being a "tramp"...  Well, get in line, boy, get in line!

;D

*That was for you DR elmore.  :)

**And, actually, I'm currently working with Christopher Sieber's equally hunky - and fellow Advocate cover-man (one of the gay marriage issues), Kevin M. Burrows in Damn Yankees.

I'm a tramp
But they love me
Break a new heart
Ev'ry day
I'm a tramp
They adore me
And you only hope
I'll stay that way
I'm a tramp
I'm a scoundrel
I'm a rounder
I'm a cad
I'm a tramp
But theylove him
Yes, and even they
Have got it pretty bad
You can never tell
When I'll show up
I give you
Plenty of trouble
You guess I'm just a
No 'count pup
But you wish that I
Were double
I'm a tramp
I'm a rover
And there's nothing
More to say
If I'm a tramp
I'm a good one
And they wish that they
Could travel my way

(apologies to Miss Peggy Lee)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2005, 09:18:32 AM »

Yes, you can count on MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE getting canceled this year (though it may play out the season). It is absolutely dying in that Friday time slot. Almost no one is watching it or THE BERNIE MAC SHOW.

As for ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, though its comedy hasn't registered very strongly with me, I've been watching this season (1) because there is nothing better for me on at 8 p.m. as I wait for other shows at 8:30, (2) it's interesting to see where they go with the outrageousness of the characters.

Yes, it hasn't offically gotten the dreaded term "canceled," but it's as good as dead having its episode order slashed from 22 to 13.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2005, 09:21:28 AM »

My first appointment:

It was my very first home away from home, and I loved it with all my heart.  I had a view from my living room across the cornfield to the Caserma.  From my bedroom balcony, I had a view of a structure built by architect Andrea Palladio...it was sitting in the middle of surrounding fields with no structures nearby.  This building was the inspiration/model for the central part of Jefferson' Monticello.  Behind it were some hills, atop which was a monastery.  To the right, I could see the city of Vicenza.  

DR RLP

What was the address of this apartment?  It sounds eerily familiar... my BFF joined the Air Force  and she and her husband (whom she met in the service) were Air Force  weather forecasters.  They were also stationed in Vincenza, Italy, although  this was in 1985 - 1989 they lived there....I myself never got there although I have never forgotten her description of it. marble floors, two bedrooms, two balconies , a view of the Italian Alps.....wouldn't it be funny if she lived in your apartment?

I have to call her and see where it was....!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 09:25:07 AM by vixmom »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2005, 09:21:46 AM »

DR RLP - you must post photos of this place!

I've done some editing/amending to the original, JRand.

As for pix, I have quite a few, but alas! Alack! Alarum!  My scanner is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD!

When we get around to getting a new one, I'll try to post some "select" views.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2005, 09:22:06 AM »

I got my 3-D glasses in the new TV GUIDE that came in the mail this morning. They're the red-blue kind, and since I have a couple of pairs of these from previous 3-D TV broadcasts of BWANA DEVIL and GORILLA AT LARGE, I may go ahead and use them instead. I just glaned at them, but they look like they have to be "put together" before they can be used, and it'll be easier to just use what I already have assembled.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2005, 09:22:24 AM »

Welcome five GUESTS!  We're talkin' about first apartments.  More importantly, we've got us eleven USERS on the board.  If each of the eleven users made ten posts, how many postings would we have?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2005, 09:23:25 AM »

I suppose I shall go pack up some CDs and get that out of the way.  Then I'll probably scan through Star Wars and Play It Again, Sam for clips of Mr. Hamill and Mr. Jerry Lacy.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2005, 09:24:34 AM »

I haven't read a single decent review of the new OKLAHOMA! set. Mine should be here in a day or two. How very, very disappointing. Thankfully, my laserdisc still plays just fine.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2005, 09:26:02 AM »

Dino and his wife are on DAYSTAR right now!  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2005, 09:26:43 AM »

DR RLP

What was the addressof this apartment?  It sounds eerily familiar... my BFF joined the Air Force  and she and her husband (whome she met in the service) were Air Force  weather forecasters.  Ther were also stationed in Vincenza, Italy, although  this was in 1985 - 1989 they lived there....I myself never got there although her desctiption of it. marble floors, two bedrooms, two balconies , a view of the Italian Alps.....wouldn't it be funny if she lived in your apartment?

To be honest, it would be a trick to find any apartment at that time that wasn't two bedrooms with marble floors and a view.

But, yes...it would be very funny if she had lived in this building, but I don't recall the address and don't have any paperwork on which it would still be.

But...my landlady was named Vittoria, and she was a feisty woman with a big heart and free with her advice.  She spoke no English, but loved Nescafe coffee.  I recall she and her husband both had medical problems during the two years I lived there...so I couldn't even say whether she might have still been wearing the pants in her family some 10 years later.  She was very much "the boss' in the apartment.  And she managed it for a lady who lived in Rome.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up