Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NERD ON MY BACK  (Read 26578 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE NERD ON MY BACK
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2005, 12:44:02 PM »

You're skipping Hedwig?!  I am sure you aren't talking about Harry Potters'  dear owl?

BTW

How many of our esteemed HHWers plan to see HP this weekend?

Saturday night, 8:30, you must have missed my post on the great day I had Monday.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2005, 12:47:06 PM »

Dansssse, Salome!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2005, 12:47:36 PM »

Happy Birthday to a good friend and close companion of the Last Starfighter.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2005, 12:48:14 PM »

Kudos to the costumer and prop man on the above production.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2005, 12:48:51 PM »

Another passing in the entertainment industry. I remember hearing of Fifi Oscard when I first moved to the city 25 years ago. She was an agent in the business for a long time. Here is a Playbill On-Line obit:

Fifi Oscard

She's gay, you know!

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2005, 12:49:53 PM »

Did you have a silver spoon with you for protection?

That's FOUR
Good line Vixmom.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2005, 12:50:11 PM »

Skip's birthday is today??????

Is that why he didn't answer the phone when I called this morning?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 12:50:26 PM by elmore3003 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2005, 12:50:44 PM »

I'm happy to report that the play is cast.  Whew!  I'll announce the actors in tomorrow's notes.

I had a big note sitting next to my computer about Skip's birthday, but apparently I was SO zonked last night that not only did I lock the today's discussion, I forgot to put the birthday in the notes.

So, let's put on our pointy party hats and our colored tights and pantaloons, let's break out the cheese slices and ham chunks, let's dance the Hora and the Wooly-Booly, and send a big haineshiswway.com birthday cheer to the wonderful Skip Kennon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2005, 12:51:02 PM »

ROW, baby, ROW!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2005, 12:54:21 PM »

So, on Saturday afternoon I'm heading uptown to American Girl Place to purchase some accessories for her doll. She wants the pajama set for Kit or the accessories for the sweater set (apparently this is a hat, purse hanky and necklace).

Well you have to go in the front door, turn left, then a quick right to the escalator take that up to the 3rd floor where the American Girl Collection is located. The Kit stuff should be directly on your left hand side.  :D    

http://store.americangirl.com/pls/ag/AG_pagethumb?catid=376024

We'll (the Vixter & I ) will be in the city on Saturday,  first the 9 AM Christmas Spectacular with her Girl Scout Troop (BTW does anyone know if the musicians will be back by then?) then possibly some adventuring with the GS Troop before possibly going off on our own to try to meet with DR Michael Shayne for afternoon tea

and who knows... a trip to AGP might end up being a part of our exploring so look out for a small troop of Girl Scout Cadettes....(there's only 5 girls in her new troop) while you're there! :D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Tomovoz

« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2005, 12:56:09 PM »

Resorts:
Capri
Montreaux

I like to go "up market"
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2005, 01:01:05 PM »

Larry, just to check, your message didn't sound like he was supposed to call you back.  He was at the gym when you called, I guess, fulfilling one of his birthday resolutions.  Does he owe you a call?

Ben

« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2005, 01:01:33 PM »

Deb, it doesn't say anything about the strike being over or going on at the Radio City Web site. I haven't heard anything about it but I assume the musicians are still locked out.

vixmom

« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2005, 01:03:04 PM »

Saturday night, 8:30, you must have missed my post on the great day I had Monday.

Nope I knew you were planning to go with your beloved goddaughter!  The Vixter is raring to go, but after getting up at the crack of dawn for the Radio City thing on Saturday and tooling around NY all day I suspect that we wil not make a Saturday night showing  without one or the other of us falling asleep, and the Vixdad wants to see it with us, but he HATES opening weekends, and Sunday after church we have a birthday party we must attend for our friends' 2 year old son, and Sunday evening is the Vixter's church Youth Group, and Friday night is Vixdad's D&D night, plus the Vixter has a Santa Lucia rehearsal at church until 8 and then we need an early night ( I refer you back to the Radio City debacle).

I knew that MattH was anxious to see this (where has HE been today I wonder?  Did he give up when he saw he was locked out  earlier?)

But I wasn't sure how many of us would actually get there this weekend.

We will probably be going over Thanksgiving weekend so I beg of those of you who DO go and see HP this weekend to post SPOILER ALERTS  before any critiques etc etc.  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 01:18:42 PM by vixmom »

Ben

« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2005, 01:03:28 PM »

I take that back. They mention that the show will feature a 55 piece orchestra recorded for use in case of a walkout.

vixmom

« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2005, 01:04:25 PM »

Good line Vixmom.

Thanks! I'm here all week! ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 01:19:17 PM by vixmom »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2005, 01:10:02 PM »

I was on the site for two hours off and on waiting for it to be unlocked, but I finally gave up the ghost. Glad others came back and got some posting done.

I did enjoy some private messages with several hks, so we DID keep the home fries burning, just not on the forum!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2005, 01:14:15 PM »

My favorite resort was Acapulco. Heavenly place to play and relax. We stayed in bungelos on the side of a mountain. The "hotel" was called Las Brises, and a guest was given pink (yep( jeeps to go up and down the mountain to your particular bungelo. Every two bungelos shared a swimming pool, too, if you didn't want to subject your skin to ocean water. This place really was heaven (and the gorgeous male bellboys who brought continental breakfasts up every morning I will NEVER forget.)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2005, 01:19:33 PM »

Says who? Says you!

Says me.  I still haven't recovered from all the excitement.  :)

Jane

« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »

Ginny, Flanigan’s Inns looks nice.

vixmom

« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2005, 01:21:17 PM »

I was on the site for two hours off and on waiting for it to be unlocked, but I finally gave up the ghost. Glad others came back and got some posting done.

I did enjoy some private messages with several hks, so we DID keep the home fries burning, just not on the forum!

Speak of the devil! (as my Nana would say)

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2005, 01:21:54 PM »

I spent much of the afternoon with the new OKLAHOMA! package.

I honestly think Fox packed the Cinemascope version of the movie on the first disc because they KNEW it was far superior to the other version IN THIS PACKAGE. The sound is strong and the color and sharpness are excellent. As DR td commented last night, when I want to see OKLAHOMA on DVD, this is the version I will play.

I don't think the Todd-AO version of OKLAHOMA on this release is merely soft. I think it is a total catastrophe of the highest order: out of focus, pale, it even FLICKERS, something that Todd-AO was famous for NOT doing in a movie theater.

I synched up the laserdisc of OKLAHOMA with this new version (didn't you just KNOW I'd do that!), and there is absolutely NO comparison. The laserdisc is a hundred times more colorful and sharper even though the laser is working with considerably fewer scan lines (and no anamorphic enhancement). This is THE DVD disaster of the year, and I have every intention of letting Fox know my EXTREME disappointment. They should hang their heads in shame to release such a calamitous transfer as the definitive disc for this movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2005, 01:28:19 PM »

I did listen to some of the commentaries on both discs. Nick Redman and Shirley Jones sounded like they were having much more fun on their commentary. Ted Chapin and Hugh Fordin I have the greatest respect for, but their commentary was pretty dry from the fifteen minutes or so of it that I listened to.

I was just so upset with the Todd-AO transfer (which has always been my preferred version of the film in terms of camerawork and performances), but perhaps I am not being fair to Chapin and Fordin.

vixmom

« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2005, 01:28:36 PM »

I take that back. They mention that the show will feature a 55 piece orchestra recorded for use in case of a walkout.

dang I feel disloyal to Jose going to see a show with recorded music... I hope we don't have to cross any picket lines...

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2005, 01:30:36 PM »

I spent the last 45 minutes of the afternoon (before getting back on-line) with MY NAME IS EARL/THE OFFICE.

This is the bestg hour of comedy on television, and they couldn't be more different shows: one a redneck comedy with heart and the other a brittle social satire and character study.

This week, both shows had me laughing pretty much nonstop.

vixmom

« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2005, 01:31:34 PM »

Okay my friends... I have a few things I must attend to pronto before I can go home and go home at 5 on the dot I must to get the Vixter to her confirmation class on time... so laters!!!

Jane

« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2005, 01:31:46 PM »

Matt H.  When I was eight years old my parents took us to Mexico during our two week Christmas break.   We spent Christmas at a resort in Acapulco.  I loved water skiing, hated the milk we had to drink and the fishing trip I insisted on going.  The plan had been to leave the kid that always got sea sick at the hotel with a sitter.  I protested loudly, went and got very sick.  Just as my parents finally decided I had ruined the trip & requested the boat be turned around, my father hooked a shark which he immediately lost  when the boat turned.  Recently my brother told me he was happy I was there to ruin the trip as he was also sick.   I'm happy to have saved a life. :)

vixmom

« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2005, 01:31:53 PM »

I lost count, did I make my quota?

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2005, 01:32:43 PM »

In talking with friends about when we would find it best to see HARRY POTTER, we've pretty much decided Tuesday of next week in the afternoon. The kids should be in school still (Thanksgiving vacation starts on Wednesday) and the first show of the day should be relatively empty compared to what the crowds will be like over the weekend.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2005, 01:34:22 PM »

DR Jane, have you not been back to Acapulco since then? I think you and Keith would love it now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up