Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OVERLOAD  (Read 24372 times)

Ben

Re:OVERLOAD
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2005, 07:30:50 AM »

Mr. Mahler says Welcome!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2005, 07:32:16 AM »

I shall now be on my way to breakfast with Mr. David Wechter.  After that, I shall do my shipping, and after that, I shall return.

Jason

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2005, 07:33:12 AM »

DR Ben: Thank God - I was gonna back out of "Giant," too. Phew! I just don't think I could sit through four hours of movie tonight. I've just been exhausted (for some reason) this week and need a night to rest before my very full weekend.

"What's happening this weekend," you ask? I'll tell you. Friday night: THE WOMAN IN WHITE. Saturday (my birthday): SEE WHAT I WANNA SEE and THE COLOR PURPLE. Sunday: SOUVENIR. Monday: SEASCAPE. Oy!

TOD: I think I've been on overload a couple of times. Well, as overloaded as one can get in your mid- to late-20's. When I was dealing with that horrible mouse infestation last winter and working 75-90 hours a week on what turned out to be about 1 1/2 hours of sleep a night...I'd say I was on overload. I felt like a zombie, just kinda walking through the day but not remember much of any of it. I was becoming forgetful and impatient and irritable - well, OK...I'm always impatient and irritable...I live in New York! - and I just wasn't having a very good time at all. I never saw my friends, I went a year without seeing my family and I hated my job(s) and living situation. Wait...has any of that changed? Yes, it has...I get to see my friends more often than I used to and I've already seen my family twice this year. I guess things are slowly looking up!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2005, 07:33:22 AM »

Good morning!

Yesterday we had a totally overcast but very warm day (highs in the mid-70s).

Today, we have cloudless deep blue sky and COLD temperatures (it's 46 right now).

I prefer this kind of cold - not bone chillling but rather bracing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2005, 07:35:07 AM »

Yes, Ginny, I don't regret leaving the position at all. The money I would be getting now would not make up for it in the least because I see the person who was eventually hire to replace me and what she has to do just confirms my belief that I would have self-destructed had I hung on as manager.

As a contented peon, I often refer problem patrons to our managers, saying to myself, "That's what they get paid the big bucks for!"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2005, 07:36:13 AM »

When I was working a full-time job (teaching), reviewing films part time, and doing a play at night, I'm sure there were many times when I was on overload and close to burn-out.

But I'm into my fifth year of retirement, and all that is a distant memory now. Life is very leisurely, and this is how I prefer it.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2005, 07:37:37 AM »

I think GIANT is a wonderful film, too, but after a long day at work, it's not really the kind of movie I'd want to sit through in the evening.

Better it for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2005, 07:38:18 AM »

DR Jason - What a lovely birthday weekend you have lined up!  It's a good thing you got all your laundry done last weekend  ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 07:38:58 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2005, 07:38:40 AM »

I suspect I will get no DVDs watched today since I have three hours of television shows on the DVR to catch up with.

First up will be VERONICA MARS followed most likely by LAW & ORDER. SUPERNATURAL might be saved for the weekend.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2005, 07:39:50 AM »

DR Jason, I'm hoping your OPRAH DVD comes today. I'm really more anxious to get your reactions to the two extra snippets I put on the end of the DVD.

Consider them an early birthday present.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 07:41:16 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2005, 07:42:06 AM »

And Vixmom, your DVD should arrive today, too, if it hasn't already. Geez, I mailed those things first class so they should be there!

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2005, 07:43:58 AM »

DR Jason - What a lovely birthday weekend you have lined up!  It's a good thing you got all your laundry done last weekend  ;)

Yes, indeed! We will want to read your opinions on these new shows.

Jason

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2005, 07:44:05 AM »

DR Ginny: It will be quite the weekend. I'm looking forward to it, though these theatre-filled weekends can be quite exhausting. Who knew you could get tired out just from sitting in a theatre??

And come hell or high water - though they're forecasting light snow!! - I'm going to the Bronx Zoo next Thursday. :)

DR MattH: I'm very much looking forward to it. Thank you again!!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 07:48:59 AM by Jason »

Jason

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2005, 07:46:36 AM »

MattH: I've already seen SEE WHAT I WANNA SEE and THE COLOR PURPLE (twice), but WOMAN IN WHITE will be new to me and SOUVENIR will be slightly different than what I saw when it was off-Broadway, so that should be fun. And Ms. Judy Kaye is reliably wonderful. I'm a little unsure about Edward Albee's SEASCAPE. I don't know the play at all, but the cast is great (Frances Sternhagen & Frederick Weller), so that'll be fun, too. And Monday night is the official opening - my first Broadway opening night!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 07:47:34 AM by Jason »

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2005, 07:48:09 AM »

My thoughts on last night's LOST.

SPOILER SPACE.

I did sort of enjoy learning more about these new characters.  And it was nice to get to know Ana a bit more (so we don't completely hate her for the killing).

But I thought most of the scenes were way too disjointed. Normally you don't really notice when scenes change.  But the way they were showing one abrupt scene here (and then going to a new day) started to drive me crazy.

I did love the day 45-47, quick flash sequences. Although I sort of wanted to see those scenes play back again in full time but through the others point of view (sort of like what they did with the bunker and jack/locke/kate earlier in the season).

I liked the end. And the preview for next week looks good.

It was also interesting to get to spend so much time with some of The Others (without necessarily knowing they were The Others). Made them seem sort of normal.

What was the name of the creepy guy who Jack and company ran into last year (who took claire's baby). That wasn't nathan, was it?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2005, 07:49:27 AM »

DR Michael S:  Thanks for the clarification.  It is strange, indeed, that the 2005 film restoration is noticeably different from the digital transfer of same.

I've had so many different versions of SOM and all -- save the 5-Star DVD -- have had problems.  Chief among all of them, for me, was the brown grass in the opening title song -- never in any of the 30 or so times I saw the film upon its first release (I was an usher at a local theater and had an usher's pass for all theaters) was there any brown grass on view.

When Fox did its 25th anniversary VHS release, many sins were corrected, but when they issued the laserdisc -- widescreen, mind you -- they never used the restored anniversary version...and the cropping was horrific.

I'm still not sure this latest release has any possible advantage over the 5-star DVD issued a few years ago.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2005, 07:50:11 AM »

I'm back at work.

Oy!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2005, 07:51:08 AM »

Oh and re: LOST, I don't think they could have had more episodes of just the new castaways without annoying people.  If there was a way that they could have shown their story WHILE showing Jack/Kate and the bunch we know, that would have been okay.  But it would be too confusing. So I'm sure we will see more of themas we get their backstories.  And I'm guessing both groups will merge, so we will see a lot of the new people.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2005, 07:51:47 AM »

We are having a virtual heat wave here in Oakland this week.

Temps are in the 70s all around the Bay.

Skies are stunningly blue.

Folks are running around in shorts and sandals.

I know this is typical for Southern California, but it's just absurd here in the land of fog and chill winds.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to work up any "Seasonal" fervor.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2005, 07:54:19 AM »

My thoughts on last night's LOST.

SPOILER SPACE.

What was the name of the creepy guy who Jack and company ran into last year (who took claire's baby). That wasn't nathan, was it?

SPOILER RESPONSE!

No, Nathan is the guy we saw get killed in the camp of the Tail Survivors...killed by Goodwin, one of "them."

The guy who took Claire (who was pregnant) was killed by Charlie.  The French woman later took Claire's baby, but the baby was recovered, also by Charlie.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 07:55:20 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jason

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2005, 07:55:26 AM »

It's becoming increasingly difficult to work up any "Seasonal" fervor.

I know what you mean, Ron. The temperatures were in the high 60's/low 70's yesterday afternoon (I think Newark hit 74 degrees), which is completely off for this time of year in NYC. Of course, today we're down to more typical temperatures (low 40's with supposed wind chill of 25-30 degrees). We were wearing short sleeves yesterday and winter coats and scarves this morning. That ain't right!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 07:58:43 AM by Jason »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2005, 08:02:35 AM »

The most "overload" I've ever experienced, as I recall, was while serving on USS Kitty Hawk in the Gulf.  We (the carrier) were the launch platform for all the air strikes against Iraq in 1992 after Hussein had repeatedly violated the no-fly zone.

For two solid weeks, the ship was a home for more than 20 international journalists on a daily basis.  By home, I mean they lived on board.  My boss and I (Public Affairs Officer and PA Assistant, resp.) were responsible for getting them around the ship, setting up their interviews, getting their film/tapes off the ship quickly, and keeping them berthed (i.e, with a place to sleep), in clean clothes (having their laundry done) and well fed (ensuring they made all the meals).  They set up satellite dishes on either side of the ship to transmit video and audio and were quite an attraction for the crew.

I averaged 4 hours of sleep a night (if that) for the duration of their visit.  While we averaged 20 people staying overnight, we had daytrippers, too, and sometimes had as many as 40 media on board at any given time during the day.  They, then, had to be booked to fly off at various points.

In addition to that, I was still responsible to ensure our dailly newspaper got published and that our television schedule stayed on track.

I've never been more tired -- or satisfied with the end results -- in my life.

I've had other "overloads" that were more mental than anything else.  And always because of dimwits I had to work with or around.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2005, 08:04:17 AM »

I know what you mean, Ron. The temperatures were in the high 60's/low 70's yesterday afternoon (I think Newark hit 74 degrees), which is completely off for this time of year in NYC. Of course, today we're down to more typical temperatures (low 40's with supposed wind chill of 25-30 degrees). We were wearing short sleeves yesterday and winter coats and scarves this morning. That ain't right!!

Fings sure ain't wot they used to be!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2005, 08:05:36 AM »

If I had sent anyone a CD-R or DVD-R in the past week, I am certain it would be arriving today.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2005, 08:15:55 AM »

I must clean up now for my lunch appointment.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2005, 08:29:15 AM »

Golly!  My work day is just starting and you east coasters are off to lunch!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2005, 08:30:42 AM »

Oddly enough, there are only two people in my office right now, and neither of us is feeling very chipper.

I can account for two others, one of whom is at home nursing a bad back and the other is at a construction site.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 08:31:48 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2005, 08:32:57 AM »

I just ordered IN OLD CHICAGO and NIGHTMARE ALLEY and JEANMAIRE DANCES ROLAND PETIT with my second and last deepdiscountdvd 20% discount code!

I watched LOST as well - lots of stuff going on.  I liked it!  But I did miss the regulars characters!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2005, 08:33:40 AM »

Heat wave here....up to 21 degrees.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2005, 08:39:37 AM »

And your official page turner for Page 3 is
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up