Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CHEESY NOTES  (Read 18915 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE CHEESY NOTES
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2005, 08:53:26 AM »

Lucy Sunburned Page 2 Dance!!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 08:57:26 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2005, 08:56:34 AM »

A humongous HAPPY BIRTHDAY to DR Jason! I hope you have a fun day and a fantastic year! You deserve it!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2005, 09:11:17 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I'll hang out here as long as I can before the Evil Eye gets too too intense.  Then I'll perhaps go over to Aron's where they're doing the same things as Footlight - 20% off now, then 30, then 40, up until they close.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2005, 09:26:53 AM »

Happy Birthday DR JASON!!!!!!!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2005, 09:28:03 AM »

Happy B'day to Jason!

Cheese.  The standards cheddar, colby, swiss, etc....I love cheese on sandwiches, pizzas (of course, in salads, in a good tortilla soup onion soup, atop chili...

Exotic cheese and soft cheeses I'm not much for.  Just the words "goat cheese" turn me off.  I just don't understand how folks can waz rhapsodic over Brie.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2005, 09:29:02 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Jason![/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2005, 09:29:15 AM »

I got my 3D glasses today (in the Globe and Mail newspaper).  I am curious what the American version of the MEDIUM glasses look like. Ours come on a full sheet telling us to watch the show on CTV monday at 9pm. And the actual glasses have an eyeball in the middle. And a pic of Patricia Arquette on one side. And I'd have to go check to see what is on the other side.

They were easy to put together though. And they seem quite comfortable (not too big). I'm curious, are we supposed to wear them all show, or only when she looks at the paintings?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2005, 09:35:04 AM »

Brie wrapped in phylo dough, baked until really runny, and then served with something sweet and spicy on top, like a melted jalapeno jelly poured over...yummer time!

A slice of really good blue cheese on top of a freshly broiled steak...yummer time again!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2005, 09:36:04 AM »

I found a good way to use the 3-D glasses from TV Guide:
http://www.mickadesign.com/photo/stereo.html
Check out the anaglyphs from the Chiller Conventions.  
Some friends are present, as are some mutual friends of BK's and mine.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2005, 09:41:06 AM »

TOD - I'm enjoying mild cheddar and Triscuits for my lunch, along with a bottle of V8 juice.  Not a big fan of sharp cheese.  I like almost everything that has been mentioned, so I'll tell a cheese-related story of frustration:

About 15 years ago, following major surgery, I was advised to do 2 things:  1) watch my cholesterol and 2) increase my intake of calcium.  Dietary tips for 1) included "leave the cheese off your sandwiches."  Dietary tips for 2) included "add a slice of cheese to your sandwiches."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2005, 09:41:45 AM »

Thaw a package of chopped spinach, wring out as much of the water as you can, and blend together with a tub of riccotta cheese.  Stuff the mixture between the skin and meat of a roasting chicken, mostly over the breast meat but don't forget the thighs and legs.  Roast the chicken as you normally would.  Yummer time again!

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2005, 09:41:49 AM »

Successful book-signing vibes to bk!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2005, 09:43:53 AM »

Hello from NYC!!!

Happy Birthday Jason!!
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2005, 09:48:06 AM »

DR FJL - Thanks for the restaurant recommendations in your earlier posts.  I've made note of both of them for the trip my DH Richard and I have planned for January 16-22, to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.  Keep 'em coming!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2005, 09:57:51 AM »

Der Brucer has scored us a couple of tix for Goblet, for after I get off work tonight.  That means that, with the 9:30 pm showing, we'll be out of the theater past midnight.

So, we'll be having an extra late dinner tonight.  I'm figuring that turkey I roasted a few nights ago, which turned out fine, will give us some great breast meat.  Add some tomatillos cooked down with some jalapenos for a sauce.  Some zucchini for the veg (halved and run under the broiler topped with freshly grated Parmesan), and a pasta side (by Lipton; I will use packaged stuff when it passes my quality tasting and can be picked up in a bargain sale), and dinner will be served!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2005, 10:12:35 AM »

As for Goblet, I'm already hearing reports of fans of the books being disappointed by what was left out for the film.  Hey, kids, there's just so much you can pack into one film!

OK, from what I hear we'll be missing the subplot about SPEW.  And the older Weasley brothers, Charlie and Bill, won't be seen (kinda bummed on that, they've always sounded hot to me, like the older brothers I wish I'd had).  This could lead to Fleur's later...oh, that's spoiler material, sorry.

But I'm pretty sure Rowling has made clear what has to be included and what can be cut.  The Dursleys don't make an apperence here, but haven't they become repetitious by this point?  They should be back for Order of the Phoenix, as they're much more important in that book.  Peeves has never been in the films, I'm certain with Rowling's OK.

I am so looking forward to tonight.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2005, 10:28:14 AM »

Let me see. I like Swiss cheese with thousand island dressing. And of course cheese pizza. I was at the pizza place by my school a while back and when I said I didn't want a beverage, the guy at the counter said, "What, no Cherry Coke?" I think I've been there too often.

I had to crawl out of the proverbial woodwork today to say HAPPY ACTUAL BIRTHDAY, ACTUAL DEAR READER JASON!!! I'm due back in the woodwork in a few minutes so I can get back to the dreaded Dr. C's unseemly term paper.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

FJL

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2005, 10:42:48 AM »

Ginny - Both Pietrasanta and Pigalle are very nice and very moderately priced for what you get.  Unless you count the cost of liquor or dessert (which seem to be expensive everywhere), we get out of either of those places having spent less than $20 per person including tax and tip with a healthy-sized appetizer and main course.  (Of course, if you're willing to spend more, there's pricier stuff on the menu at either place).  Pietrasanta also has a great pre-theater brunch on theatre matinee days - very reasonable.

44 and X (at 44th and 10th), which we went to the other night for Skip's birthday, is expensive but REALLY great - even though it's in our neighborhood, we tend to save it for special occasions.  And as we discovered the other night, it can be a little noisy because of the way the place is set up.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2005, 10:51:05 AM »

I'm back home after a full morning of having my hair cut and doing some shopping.

I was so tired last night that I actually had a terrific night's sleep.  I didn't want to get out of bed, actually, but get out I did.

I have another roast in my crockpot and it's done and smelling up the house something fierce!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2005, 10:52:05 AM »

SPOILER

Re: "Titanic", the latest 2-DVD edition

SPOILER

I watched the deleted scenes and alternate ending last night.

I was SO disappointed by the alternate ending.

The ship STILL sinks.  What a tease!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2005, 10:54:14 AM »

I have to tell you guys that the weather here in Oakland has been phenomenal, spectacular and quite wonderful the past week.

The days are gorgeous and pleasant.  The evening's have just enough cool to make them luxuriously intoxicating.  

In the 12 years I've lived here, there has NEVER been a stretch of weather to compare with it.

It's nearly magical.

I slept with my bedroom window open last night and I awoke to a fresh-smelling breeze and .... golly!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2005, 11:22:24 AM »

I'm sorry....what was that again?

Who's having a birthday?

Ohhhhhh!  HIM?

AGAIN?

Didn't we just............?

Oh, that's right!  We had a pre-birthday day for him.

And now....?

More....?

Okay:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JASON![/move]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 11:28:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2005, 11:43:05 AM »

They were easy to put together though. And they seem quite comfortable (not too big). I'm curious, are we supposed to wear them all show, or only when she looks at the paintings?

I could be wrong, but I thought that just specific scenes (Allison's dreams) would be in 3-D.  I haven't heard/read anything about paintings...just the dreams that she has. :-\

Does anyone remember a few years ago when ABC did a whole night of 3-D episodes?  I didn't watch those shows regularly, so I don't remember too much about them, except that "Home Improvement" was one of the episodes.  The whole evening used the red-blue glasses and didn't work very well at all.  I'm sure the technology has improved considerably...at least, I hope it has. ;)

Anyway, that same week (if I remember correctly, IIRC in Internet lingo), "Third Rock From the Sun" also had an hour-long 3-D episode, but it used the clear/dark kind of 3-D glasses, so that when you watched the episode without the glasses, it still looked perfectly normal.  The 3-D effects were also a LOT better!  And the premise was that the 3-D scenes were their dreams...they (being aliens from another planet) were dreaming for the very first time.  I bought that video and it came with four pairs of the clear/dark glasses and it's really cool.  I still have it! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2005, 11:48:01 AM »

Td thanks for the 3D link.

Ron-LOL.  So what is the alternate ending for Titanic?  

Cillaliz

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2005, 11:52:36 AM »

I really love cheese.   I love fresh mozzarella and tomoato slices with fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil.   The Drake Diner in Des Moines has the best Maytag Blue Cheese Burger (they make Maytag Blue cheese in Iowa)  plus if you can get some of the help who have been there for a number of years talking, they will tell you the story of how they think the wrong man was convicted of a hold-murder that happened in the diner about...oh 20 years ago - maybe more, I don't really remember.

Cillaliz

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2005, 11:54:06 AM »

But I digress. There aren't too many cheeses I don't like, but if it's really sharp. I've got to eat it with something that balances the flavor

FJL

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2005, 12:01:27 PM »

In mentioning favorite cheese dishes, I failed to mention Haagen Dazs (sp?) strawberry cheesecake ice cream.   I think they call that one a limited edition flavor, which I assume means that if it's popular it will become a permanent part of the flavor pantheon.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2005, 12:07:24 PM »

I actually like the alternate ending for Titanic, which was the original written ending. I also like a lot of the deleted scenes, that fit in with the alternate ending. They changed it because they decided things were all a little too neatly wrapped up, or some such nonsense  

SPOILER TITANIC ALTERNATE ENDING

In a nutshell, the granddaughter and Brock see Rose climbing up the rail on the back of the ship, they rush to stop her from jumping, which she wasn't going to do anyway, she shows them the necklace, Brock holds it, she gives him a little talk about how the riches don't matter what is important is what's in the heart and that the necklace didn't give her her life or something like that.  Brock clearly gets what she is talking about. She pulls it out of Brock's hand and drops it overboard.  By this time the crew is there and they are having a tizzy fit, but Brock understands and actually let her pull it out of his hand.  

So you know more about why the necklace went overboard. Brock is a good guy, he and the granddaughter are interested in each other, there is something else about passing on the message of what is important and Rose clearly hopes that Brock and her granddaughter will have a romance like she had with Jack. Then it goes back to the other ending with her in her room and then going back to join those who died on the Titanic.

That's close anyway, I only watched the alternate ending once

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2005, 12:09:53 PM »

Well, I went to the Humane Society one too many times!

Yesterday Mark and James came down to Salem and we all went to get a bite to eat. They have been wanting to get a dog now that they have bought a house together so I suggested that we visit the local Humane Society.

Well, they found the perfect pet, a black lab/spaniel (I think) mix.........

Cillaliz

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2005, 12:11:05 PM »

There were several deleted scenes on the DVD that had a lot to do with the historical stuff in the film. A little more back story on some of the people who died etc. I can see why they weren't necessary for a film that was REALLY long anyway, but it was interesting to watch them since it was the history that made me interested in Titanic.

There is a complete commentary with the historical advisors to the film.  I haven't watched it yet. It will either be very enlightening or very boring.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up