Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FULL SPEED AHEAD  (Read 23932 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:FULL SPEED AHEAD
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2005, 01:23:39 PM »

DR Joy, I didn't save the LOST episodes so far. But I would suggest taping the upcoming ones (so when you get the first ones you'll have these).  Plus i'm guessing that during the holidays they will be repeating many of the shows. And we can tell you which ones they are showing.

Hasn't LOST already repeated the season's first two episodes a couple of weeks ago when they ran repeats two or three weeks in a row? That doesn't mean they won't run them again, but I suspect not until summer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2005, 01:28:01 PM »

Page 5 Lucy Shrubbery Dance!!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 01:28:31 PM by Matt H. »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2005, 01:29:10 PM »

I'm eating at my desk today.

We all went to tour a new building that the County's Social Services Agency will be moving into next week.  One of my co-workers managed the project for the County and she is very proud of all she has accomplished, as she should be.

That said, we were unable to go out to lunch, so I stopped off and got some fried beef and tomato over rice....YUM.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2005, 01:30:33 PM »

My mom went back to her local grocery today to see about the TV Guide.  The one they were selling was last week's.

This week's come in tomorrow!

Small towns...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 01:30:51 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2005, 01:31:48 PM »

Finished GIGI this afternoon. My goodness, "I Remember It Well" was in astonishingly bad shape with scratches and dirt all over it. The rest looked pretty good, but I was really horrified by what awful shape that particular scene was in. The color throughout the entire movie varies too from overly saturated to less intense, and you can't dial down the color to make those red, red walls of Mamita's apartment less intense because the rest of the film would look truly drab.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2005, 01:33:12 PM »

JFL your aunt was a riot.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2005, 01:35:14 PM »

After GIGI, I put in HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS. I watched a tiny bit of it on ABC's high definition broadcast last Saturday night, but I noticed that ABC was showing a 16:9 framed high definition version of the film, so I didn't watch too much of it knowing I was missing some of the width of the picture. Throughly enjoyed the first half hour of the film once again and whetted my appetite all the more for the new one I'll see tomorrow.

I would have gotten farther along in the film if the phone had stopped ringing or if I hadn't answered it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2005, 01:35:37 PM »

The house seats for SPAMALOT came through so Dylan and I will see it this Saturday night.  Thank you, Larry Hochman!

Tonight is dinner with the NYC gang and DRMichaelShayne at Barrymore's and I hope the very tardy postman arrives before I leave; I ran out of checks and I've waited over a week now for the new ones to arrive.  Bills are waiting, and I'm not getting any younger.  Hopefully, they will arrive by Wednesday, but I'm getting sick of schlepping to the post office every day for money orders.

DR Jane, you should have read VANITY FAIR last night.  I love the story and I've read the complete novel, but I found it the most boring book I ever picked up.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2005, 01:36:50 PM »

I am now recalling a trip I took 31 years ago this week -- I was stationed in Vicenza, Italy, and was able to sign up for a weekend (Thanksgiving weekend) trip to London UK for $125...price included round-trip airfare, a shared room in the Kensington Hotel by Hyde Park, and breakfast for three nights.

We flew out on Thanksgiving morning and returned Sunday evening.  I had a new camera (Minolta ST1010) and two lenses (35 mm & 55 mm) and I covered the city while I was there.  I had a blast.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »

Finished GIGI this afternoon. My goodness, "I Remember It Well" was in astonishingly bad shape with scratches and dirt all over it. The rest looked pretty good, but I was really horrified by what awful shape that particular scene was in. The color throughout the entire movie varies too from overly saturated to less intense, and you can't dial down the color to make those red, red walls of Mamita's apartment less intense because the rest of the film would look truly drab.

Which DVD do you have?  The one MGM issued or the Warner Brothers issue?

Jane

« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2005, 01:44:39 PM »

I don’t remember my first family trip.  We took lots of little vacations to Palm Springs, Laguna, San Francisco & Tahoe.  My father was always cold and hated the snow, but one winter we went to the mountains for a few days.  I don’t remember where just that it was loads of fun.  

There was a trip to the Disneyland Hotel when my father attended a convention there.  Having older siblings was great.  I had so much freedom to run with them, minus our parents.  We spent two full days going on rides with short breaks to swim in the pool at the hotel.

Then when I was eight there was two week trip to Mexico I mentioned the other day.

Except for the small trips my parents traveled to exciting places around the world, leaving us at home.  In the summer they sent us away to camp.   I loved camp.

Jane

« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2005, 01:48:09 PM »

elmore LOL, so true.  I didn’t find it boring the first time around, about 34 years ago.  I picked it up again when the movie was out and it put me right to sleep.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 01:48:47 PM by Jane »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2005, 02:03:52 PM »

l hope the New York crew has fun at dinner at Barrymores!

I am off to brave the cold dark LIE... blech I hate driving home in rush hour in the dark.... could be worse... I could live in Alaska I suppose and have to deal with 66 days of darkness, then again I bet rush hour is a lot less crowded!!!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2005, 02:05:35 PM »

Which DVD do you have?  The one MGM issued or the Warner Brothers issue?

It's the MGM issue, but wasn't the Warners version the same disc in new packaging? (I don't know; I'm asking. I thought they did that with all of the MGM movies they got when they won the rights to the old MGM catalog.)

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2005, 02:08:32 PM »

I recorded off HBO the movie SPANGLISH. I remember when it came out last year around this time, there were high hopes for it including hope for Academy Awards, etc. Then the reviews were fairly mixed, and it didn't do great at the box-office so all talk of Oscars seemed to dissipate.

Still looking forward to seeing it anyway now a year after the fact.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2005, 02:11:57 PM »

I shall now be on my way to rehearsal (with a stop or two before arrival at LACC).  I'm glad I gave dear reader Jane a sleepless night!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2005, 02:26:30 PM »

I am now recalling a trip I took 31 years ago this week -- I was stationed in Vicenza, Italy, and was able to sign up for a weekend (Thanksgiving weekend) trip to London UK for $125...price included round-trip airfare, a shared room in the Kensington Hotel by Hyde Park, and breakfast for three nights.

We flew out on Thanksgiving morning and returned Sunday evening.  I had a new camera (Minolta ST1010) and two lenses (35 mm & 55 mm) and I covered the city while I was there.  I had a blast.

Photos from the London trip, please.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2005, 02:46:31 PM »

Okay, now that I've read the notes, I will amend my previous answer to the TOD:  When I was little, we used to go to the family farmhouse in western PA, which was in the middle of nowhere.  Those trips were always memorable for the stops at Tastee-Freez somewhere in Maryland, Hagerstown or Hancock or something like that.  And for the singing songs in the car with grandparents or my mom.  I never minded the four-hour drive.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jennifer

« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2005, 02:47:10 PM »

OMG Oprah is crazy.

Don't read below if you don't want to know what she gave her audience.

They were all Hurricane Katrina relief workers (although it would have been nice if the audience had been victims of the hurricane).

She gave out so much stuff, including the newest blackberry.  And a laptop/dvd player worth $1600!

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2005, 02:55:32 PM »

Here's a picture of my mom supervising me at the beach. I think I must have been possibly two or three here. I have a later picture where I'm a little older, but this looks like the first pic taken of me ever at the beach.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2005, 03:01:23 PM »

Off to clean the dining room now and then to continue with HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS until TV for me begins this evening.

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2005, 03:12:01 PM »

Great pic, DR MATTH!  Looks like both of you were having a blast!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2005, 03:14:27 PM »

Good Afternoon!  Good Evening!

BK - I have not disappeared.  Although, it was nice to know that my absence had been noticed.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2005, 03:21:45 PM »

Topic of the Day -

My most memorable childhood trip was when my family went to the Philippines when I was six.  We went over Christmas Break.  It was all sooo strange and sooo wonderful.  First of all, being someplace in December and having the temps somewhere in the upper 80s and 90s - and humid!  We slept under mosquito netting.  -And were "warned" to keep our mouths closed while we slept in order to prevent roaches and other critters from crawling in our mouths while we slumbered.  Yikes! - The things one remembers from one's childhood.  We celebrated Christmas and New Year's there.  Fireworks!  And there was also a wedding while we were there.  I still remember the team of manicurists descending on the house, and getting everyone in the wedding party all ready for the ceremony.  OH!  I still remember choosing which pig would become the lechon for the wedding feast.

There are still some pics from that trip that when I look at them, I can still remember where we were.  Even when my parents can't.

Another random memory from that trip: Going to the fish market with my grandfather, my Dad's father.  He smoked cigarettes, and always had one in his mouth.  Well, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, so I asked for a cigarette, and he gave me one.  He lit it.  I tried to puff on it.  Coughed.  Yuck!  Then left it in the mouth of a fish that was on display.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2005, 03:26:04 PM »

DR Joy - Cameron Station is still there.  However, I believe the military base part of is now smaller than it was, but the whole park area is still there.  The Coast Guard still uses it for their Annual Coast Guard Day Picnic.  -My Dad would take us there regularly - and he still goes.  Quite the "picnic": enough food for at least a thousand people, pony rides for the kids, live music, and other entertainment.

But if you head down Route 7/Duke Street in Alexandria, Cameron Station will be on your right a few blocks after Pickett Street.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2005, 03:34:16 PM »

Alas, I am not in NYC today.  Even though I had toyed with the idea of heading up there this "weekend".  However, after I left yesterday's rehearsal, I just felt so tired and exhausted.  These six-day work weeks are killers!  Actually, I had even fallen asleep during rehearsal - I believe Brad Oscar woke me up from my impromptu nap.  ;)  So...

I've been having a "me" day today.  After getting up around 11:30(!), and figuring out the DVD/TV/VCR connections, I put in a DVD and worked out!  It was my first actually work out in months.  I figured that after two weeks of getting my diet back on track, I should get some more physical activity back into my "program".  I was very happy to find that starting with the "medium" level of the workout was not as hard as I thought it was going to be.  And it really did feel good to work up a sweat.

Then came breakfast/brunch.  Some online bill-paying.  Some catch up e-mails.  Four loads of laundry (the final load, whites, are now in the dryer. -Remember, always finish with your whites - the bleach helps to sanitize your wash tub.)  And I need to head out in a little bit to check my P.O. Box, and make a Trader Joe's run.

In any case...

I hope everyone has a wonderful time at Barrymore's tonight.  I'll be there with you in spirit.
Make Your Own Luck.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2005, 03:37:27 PM »

Thanks, Jose!  Good to know the ducks are still there!  Although, presumably not the same ones.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2005, 03:37:38 PM »

DR MBarnum - Great pics!

*If you have lost your camera's cord, just buy one of those USB multi-card readers.  That's what I did when I lost track of mine.  You plug the reader into your computer, take the memory card out of your camera, plug that into the reader.. and Voila!  It just acts like another external drive for your computer - just click on the icon in Windows Explorer (PC) or Finder (Mac).

And the card readers are relatively cheap too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2005, 03:42:35 PM »

Hmm... I guess my Dad cooked a pre-Thanksgiving lunch today at work.  Currently upstairs on the kitchen counter, baked ham, cranberry-apple-orange relish (I think it's my mom's recipe), sweet potatoes and stuffing.  Hmm...  Alas, I think I will be having salad topped with salmon for dinner.  But that's good too.

*I'm saving the "splurge" for Turkey Day.  I've never met a pumpkin pie I didn't devour.

**But I did splurge a little bit last night - some cookies, and some Chocolate Almond soy ice cream (which was surprisingly good).

*** And of this morning: nine pounds!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »

DR vixmom - Glad to hear that you and the vixter enjoyed Radio City!  Especially the live orchestra!

*Please, no more semantic-based discussion on the use of the word "live".

;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up