Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FULL SPEED AHEAD  (Read 22716 times)

Jason

Re:FULL SPEED AHEAD
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2005, 10:07:30 AM »

Jason, did you get your birthday song?

Yes, I did! Thank you so much!! I got TWO birthday songs, actually - the loverly one from you and DD the Vixter and one from my maternal grandparents and all of my little cousins (they range from 3-13 years old). What nice birthday surprises! :)

And tell DD the Vixter she has a LOVERLY singing voice...as does her mom.  ;D

Ben

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2005, 10:08:09 AM »

Not only Brittany but her husband, the talentless, scumbag, I'll leave my wife for you while she's pregnant with our child, Kevin Federline!

Alright, I'll stop now.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:14:49 AM by Ben »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2005, 10:09:12 AM »

We also travelled regularly when I was a kid.  I remember Vernal, Utah (where all the dinosaur fossils are).  And I remember regular visits to Bear Lake in Northern Utah/Southern Idaho, as well as Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, etc., etc.  We also had regular summer visits to semi-lovely Yakima, Washington, where my father had summer camp in his role as a U.S. Army General.  I remember one summer in particular when I was probably 4 or 5 when I was out playing in a big field and an Army helicopter flew down about 5 or 6 feet above me, and my Dad jumped out and greeted me!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2005, 10:10:06 AM »

Not only Brittany but her talentless, scumbag, I'll leave my wife for you while she's pregnant with our child, husband Kevin!

Alright, I'll stop now.

;)Don't hold back, Ben, tell us what you really think!  What will you do if they ask you to review it for BBC?  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2005, 10:13:59 AM »

Luckily I just gave them a review with the Christina Applegate cast so I doubt I would have to suffer through the excruiating pain of watching Miss Spears try to sing, dance and act all at the same time. As much as I love seeing really bad theatre I don't know if I could sit through that.

Jason

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2005, 10:14:08 AM »

DR Ginny: I totally forgot about the funeral scene. That's where he'd be playing a minister. I chatted with him last night. He hopes you enjoyed the show. :)

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2005, 10:18:44 AM »

DR Ginny: I totally forgot about the funeral scene. That's where he'd be playing a minister. I chatted with him last night. He hopes you enjoyed the show. :)

We did enjoy The Full Monty - more than we expected.  It's not a show for which I'll run out and buy the CD to listen to over and over, but it was fun.

And how did he enjoy Dayton, OH?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:19:25 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2005, 10:18:54 AM »

DR Ben, I read about Ms Spears replacing Christina Applegate this past weekend.  And while I would not rush out to see this, I think it would be great for the show! Imagine how many people would rush out to Broadway because of it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2005, 10:19:32 AM »

My childhood memories are not the same as the stories my mother tells me about things we did.

For instance, at some point in my first few years, my parents travelled from Johnston SC to Chicago IL where we visited his brother, my late Uncle Andy, and his family, and we all went to a Cubs game.  I have ZERO memory of that.

I do remember taking a bus with my mom and we rode and rode and rode and rode...Johnston SC to Winston-Salem NC where my grandfather and step-grandmother were living at the time...sometime in the early 1950s (probably a year or so after the Chicago trip).

Vacations I remember as a child were always to Daytona Beach, FL...I have lovely memories of those trips.  I also remember a Sunday drive from Johnston SC to Folly Beach SC (near Charleston).  My paternal grandmother was with us and had never seen the ocean.  Her reaction was, "Hmmmph!"  My mom and I found a conch shell (with inhabitant) on the beach.  The beach was pretty littered up with debris as a hurricane had bypassed only the week before and lots of stuff washed up.  We took the conch with us and my grandmother got the beastie out of it (but not till after it was dead and stinky).

We moved from Johnston to Greenville SC in 1957 prior to my 9th birthday.  It was then we started making several trips a year to Asheville NC where my dad's brother, my Uncle George and his wife (Aunt Belle), lived in the community of Biltmore NC.  I travelled through all the national forests/parks of western North Carolina during those years.  It was lovely.

And, we still made our annual jaunts to Daytona Beach...although one year we went to Myrtle Beach with a bunch of people my parents knew from work.  

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jason

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2005, 10:22:01 AM »

DR Ginny: How did he like Dayton? Well...the first thing he said last night was, "Only 28 more days!" Yes, he's counting the days til he can come back to New York. That doesn't necessarily reflect on Dayton - mostly on the tour in general - but they were 2 weeks in Dayton, which is weird since most of their stops are one or two nights. He liked staying in one town for a couple of weeks, but he said he got bored. Oh, well. They're travelling to Canada today.

Glad you liked the show! I'm not a huge fan of the score - I think SCOUNDRELS is much better.

Jason

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2005, 10:24:22 AM »

DR Ben: I don't think you'd be able to get a ticket if Britney actually went into CHARITY, so I doubt you'll have to sit through her doing it. I can't fathom the box office sales if she actually goes in... And I can't imagine how high they'll jack the ticket prices if she signs on. And I can't imagine that she could pull of 8 shows a week... I just...well...I just can't imagine.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2005, 10:25:42 AM »

I remember a visit I made to Johnston from Greenville one summer in 1960 or 61.  I went to spend a week with my Aunt Doris, Uncle Rock and three cousins.  During my visit, we drove to Myrtle Beach for a Sunday outing.  We rode in my my uncle's pickup truck.  My two male cousins and I rode in back.

During the outing at the beach, I remember feeling very warm, and then I felt like I was burning.  This continued on the trip back.  It also rained on us, which felt pretty good to me.

I had a MAJOR sunburn.  My back and shoulders were covered with large blisters for a day or so.  Then, there were small blisters.  I slept sitting up.  By the end of the week, my back was a huge "peeling zone"...strips of skin would come off without prompting.

My mother was furious that my aunt didn't take me to a doctor.  But...everyone got over it.  

I don't do "sun" any more.   I still worry that one day, a bunch of skin cancers might pop up on my back.  
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:27:56 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2005, 10:25:47 AM »

I'm not a Brittany fan by any means, but--to be fair--didn't she start out by doing RUTHLESS for over a year?  That was about ten years ago, I think, but she should still have some chops.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2005, 10:28:02 AM »

Back from a busy morning.  First breakfast with Mr. Grant Geissman (who plays beautiful guitar on the new Burt Bacharach album), and then we went to get our resale certificates - we filled out the paperwork and we'll have them in three days.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2005, 10:28:53 AM »

I'm not a Brittany fan by any means, but--to be fair--didn't she start out by doing RUTHLESS for over a year?  That was about ten years ago, I think, but she should still have some chops.

Assuming she actually exhibited any at that time???

:)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:30:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2005, 10:28:55 AM »

I watched the awful State Fair pilot - Linda was (and is) so beautiful.  Maybe I'll try to find a copy to buy and I'll give it to her tomorrow, since she probably has no idea it's out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2005, 10:29:16 AM »

Doesn't the Harold Lloyd set come out this week?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2005, 10:29:23 AM »

TOD:

I used to go on trips to my Nana's house all by my lonesome from the age of about 3 to about 28 (when she passed on)

I would go for about a week or two at a time.  Up until I was 9 or 10 she lived in Fresh Meadows, here in Queens (which is about 35 miles from where I lived)

and Nana and I would take the bus or the subway into NYC and "do' the Herald Square Macy's and Saks Fifth Avenue & walk through Rockerfeller Center .  She would take me to her stockholder's meetings (I rememerb the Domino Sugar one best because they were giving  a box of sugar cubes to each stockholder on as we left the meeting. The man gave one to my Nana and then one to the man behind me and I spoke up as only an indignant and overlooked 4 year old could and said "I think you forgot SOMEBODY!"  I got my own box of sugar cubes and an apology.

Nana took me to Radio City Music Hall to see movies and Chinese acrobats and best of all the "Dancerinas"  my term for the Rockettes.

The very first and only time I remember the whole family going away together for a vaction that wasn't a trip to a relatives house ,was in June 1974, just before my senior year of high school when we drove down to Florida .

We visited the battlefields in Gettysburg. We stopped in at Washington DC to see the Smithsonian, in Virginia where we toured some underground caverns, (is Howe Caverns right?)
I remember a wonderful restaurant in Charlotte SC it was pirate themed... a old tavern that had been expanded, they said it had underground passages out to the shore and that smugglers used to use them to get contraband by the British.  They had these huge torches all around the outside of it.  It was a very memeorable and enjoyable dinner, in fact so much so that when my Mom , the Vixter & I took out ladies only trip to Florida in 1995 we sidetracked off I-95 to go found the restaurant for lunch.

MattH, you could probably tell me the name of the place!    

We finaly ended up at the newly opened Disney World in Florida,  only the Magic Kingdom was completed back then, Epcot was still a couple of years from opening the whole MGM studio thing hadn't even been announced (or perhap thought of) yet.

While in Florida we also toured an aquarium (I'm not sure if it was Sea World or some other Aquarium) and an old Fort the name of which escapes me, and NASA.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2005, 10:32:34 AM »

I remember a wonderful restaurant in Charlotte SC it was pirate themed... a old tavern that had been expanded, they said it had underground passages out to the shore and that smugglers used to use them to get contraband by the British.  They had these huge torches all around the outside of it.  It was a very memeorable and enjoyable dinner, in fact so much so that when my Mom , the Vixter & I took out ladies only trip to Florida in 1995 we sidetracked off I-95 to go found the restaurant for lunch.

MattH, you could probably tell me the name of the place!    

Hmmmm....Charlotte SC?  Or NC?

There is a Charleston SC.

There is a Charlotte NC.

If the pirate-themed place was in Charlotte, those passages to the shore would have run for hundreds of miles, I think.  That's about how far Charlotte is from a beach.

:D  :D  :D

Ben

« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2005, 10:32:53 AM »

I admit I'm reacting as much to her image as anything. I didn't know that she was in Ruthless. As much as I enjoyed Ruthless (I saw it in New York and I worked in the late 80s with Joel, now Joal, Paley, one of the creators) it's a camp fest. Sweet Charity is not Ibsen but I think it would take a little more work, IMHO, to pull off 8 shows a week for Charity than for Ruthless.

I will (seriously) stop after this next comment. I'm also annoyed that they would seriously consider putting her husband into the show as well, especially if he replaced Denis O'Hare as Oscar. I am open to change and experimentation and out of the ordinary casting but this kind of thing just makes me sad.

End of long, drawn out rant.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2005, 10:33:56 AM »

Am trying to coordinate a birthday lunch for my boss, who was in India on her birthday (Oct. 31).  We need to do it this week, and Wednesday is the best day for everyone BUT one person who wants us to do it tomorrow, but we all have tight scheduling conflicts for the time period involved.

Sigh.  

Ron, just remember this quote from Spock:  The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2005, 10:33:58 AM »

I remember a visit I made to Johnston from Greenville one summer in 1960 or 61.  I went to spend a week with my Aunt Doris, Uncle Rock and three cousins.  During my visit, we drove to Myrtle Beach.  We rode in my my uncle's pickup truck.  My two male cousins and I rode in back.

During the outing at the beach, I remember feeling very warm, and then I felt like I was burning.  This continued on the trip back.  It also rained on us, which felt pretty good to me.

I had a MAJOR sunburn.  My back and shoulders were covered with large blisters for a day or so.  Then, there were small blisters.  I slept sitting up.  By the end of the week, my back was a huge "peeling zone"...strips of skin would come off without prompting.

My mother was furious that my aunt didn't take me to a doctor.  But...everyone got over it.  

I don't do "sun" any more.   I still worry that one day, a bunch of skin cancers might pop up on my back.  

I had a similar experience during my visit to Florida with my grandparents. We went to Fort Myers Beach and I, being the fair-skinned Anglo-Irish kid that I was, got fried. And I lost a tennis shoe - just one - but that's another story for another day. Anywho, we headed up to Orlando the next day to go to Disney World and when we got to the hotel that night, I started vomiting and had a bit of a fever. My grandmother tried to pull my shirt off so I could get in the tub and I started screaming bloody murder. I couldn't raise my arms above shoulder level. We finally got the shirt off and found that I had egg-sized blisters on both shoulders. My grandmother cried the rest of the night.

We cleaned up the blisters and bandaged them and headed to Disney the next morning. I was fine for the most part, but every time one of the costumed characters came up to say hello, I wanted to run - they all put their hands on your shoulders when they pose for pictures with you. I still remember the pictures from that trip. I was wearing a red shirt, and in the pictures that were taken later in the day, you could see that the blisters had...well...you know. It basically looked like someone had poured some sort of liquid down the sleeves of my shirt.  :-\

I haven't been to Florida since.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2005, 10:38:48 AM »

TOD:

The earliest out-of-town trips I can recall would be to cities like Philadelphia, Washington DC and NYC, though I can't really remember what the exact purposes were.

My favorite childhood vacation was a week in a campsite next to Kerrywood Amusement Park in PA.  My parents and my aunt and uncle rented a humongous camper which turned out to be off-limits to the kids once we got there.  But it was fun to sleep outdoors in and out of our pup tents.  I mostly hung out with the two cousins who were around my age, and we were allowed to go off on our own throughout most of the day (I can't imagine that happening nowadays.)  We went swimming in the early morning, hit the rides until dinnertime, and went back for a more leisurely visit to the park at night with the adults.  A good time was had by all except for my oldest sister, who kept getting caught smoking cigarettes with my older cousins.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2005, 10:42:38 AM »

Doesn't the Harold Lloyd set come out this week?

Yep, and I must get it.  I watch the first two movies on TCM's Lloyd-athon last night and I laughed my head off (well, I would have laughed my head off if it were actually detachable.)
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2005, 10:46:05 AM »

DATIN' OHIO - a new musical comedy about someone who ends up dating everyone in an Ohio town.

vixmom

« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2005, 10:47:09 AM »

Because we live on Long Island we are only about 20 minutes away from a beach, north shore, south shore depending on whether you're looking for the smooth waves and rocky beaches at the Long  Island Sound or  the smooth sandy beaches and the Atlantic ocean waves.  So just about every weekend in the summer my Mom would pack up the cooler and Dad would load the car and off to the beah we'd go.   When I was ten dad bought his first boat and then we would go out every weekend fishing or riding  over to Fire Island or go to one of the deserted barrier beaches and spend the day over there grilling hotdogs and fresh caught fish and fresh dug clams and scallops and boiling fresh caught crabs over a little hibachi stove.  

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2005, 10:48:52 AM »

DATIN' OHIO - a new musical comedy about someone who ends up dating everyone in an Ohio town.

DR FJL:   ;D

vixmom

« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2005, 10:49:17 AM »

Hmmmm....Charlotte SC?  Or NC?

There is a Charleston SC.

There is a Charlotte NC.

If the pirate-themed place was in Charlotte, those passages to the shore would have run for hundreds of miles, I think.  That's about how far Charlotte is from a beach.

:D  :D  :D

I meant to type Charleston!  Well spotted Ron!

vixmom

« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2005, 10:54:47 AM »

Another smash hit in themaking and we were there to see it!!!!

Ben

« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2005, 10:55:34 AM »

Time to turn the page again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up