Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FULL SPEED AHEAD  (Read 23884 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:FULL SPEED AHEAD
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2005, 08:06:34 AM »

Yesterday, I made this up big order for Amazon for this week's DVD releases because there is a TON of stuff coming out this week.

Lo and behold, this morning I realized that the Barbra Streisand TV Special box also comes out this week and I had not ordered it yesterday. So, another order for it had to go out this morning. Argh!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2005, 08:07:20 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page 2 Dance!![/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2005, 08:07:26 AM »

It's drippy here in Rehoboth Beach, but not really rainy.

Cows in Speedos is an absurd image.  Everyone knows cows have an exclusive contract with Nike.  Sheesh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2005, 08:09:27 AM »

~~~CONGRATULATIONS ON 160,000 + HHW POSTS~~~[/color]

to BK
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2005, 08:12:16 AM »

Congratulations on The Last Starfighter's Success![/color]

to FJL, Skip & BK

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2005, 08:13:28 AM »

Then we ended up in Times Square at a stupid Applebees despite my efforts (with the aid of dear elmore.... I hope I didn't disrupt your work too much sweetie with my call) to steer then to John's pizza or Barymores or somewhere with a bit of local color qnd good food   but I was shouted down  so we ended up with overpriced crap.... ah well!  

Yes, this is absolutely THE thing folks do...seek out something familiar rather than open their minds to something extraordinary.

From 1987-1992, I was hauled into more MacDonald' and KFC's (in Italy!!!!) by visiting friends and family desperately seeking the comforts of home, only later to drag them (not QUITE kicking and screaming) into a trattoria where I FORCED them to endure a leisurely 4- or 5-course meal...which they LOVED, by the way, once it dawned on them there was no real rush to get back to a hotel or to my villa.

When I make my first trip to NYC, I know Applebee's is going to be MY eatery of choice.....NOT!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 09:35:29 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2005, 08:18:13 AM »

Yes, this is going to be quite THE week for DVD releases.

I've pre-ordered "War of the Worlds", "The Polar Express" and the Streisand TV box.

I have no delusions that I'll see any of them this week, as they've all been ordered to be shipped to my office address, and after Wednesday, no deliveries will be made here until next Monday.

Still....I have any number of box sets that I've yet to tap into -- the comedy set from WB/MGM is one of them.  I have both Harryhausen box sets and have only watched two DVDs from them.

Sigh.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 09:36:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2005, 08:19:40 AM »

There is also the Deep Discount DVD order I placed last week....holy moly!

I placed QUITE an order, but I opted for "leisurely class" shipping, so I won't see any of those babies until early December, more than likely.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2005, 08:21:45 AM »

I talked my mom into getting the new TV Guide so she would have 3-D glasses for tonight's "Medium" airing.

Her e-mail back to me was that she found the TV Guide in the grocery store, but it had no glasses.  She reckoned southern folks probably were considered too stupid to know how to make them work so they were spared the trouble.

I wrote back and described the cover to her, told her that there are no longer "regional" issues, and that she might have confused TV Guide with TV Digest or that the store might still be selling last week's TV Guide.

Haven't heard back yet.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 08:22:11 AM by Ron Pulliam »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2005, 08:23:06 AM »

I've just got a couple of minutes before heading off to work.  Just a few comments about Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, with der B and I saw last night.

First, it's the best of the films so far.  There's a lot that was left out from the book, of course; the books are now a totally different animal.  The films are kind of Harry Potter Lite.  (Tastes great, less filling.)

However, with the script approval that Rowling has, to ensure that what absolutely needs to go into the films is included, what becomes interesting about what was left out is that we readers can now do some reverse-detecting and eliminate the plot threads in the newer books that aren't included in the film.  No SPEW.  No older Weasley brothers.  For that matter, no Percy Weasley, at least not this time around; this could be interesting, particularly when it comes to Order of the Phoenix (which is not about Harry working at a restaurant and serving up a dish of fowl).

Point two, or maybe three, particularly of interest to DR Elmore: I thought Patrick Doyle took over the music composition duties very well, taking from John Williams' lead and expanding in ways quite appropriate for the film.  There is a scene towards the end of the film, when Mad-Eye Moody takes Harry into his office, where the music also hit certain chords that reminded me of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, not an actual quote but very similar in chord formation in the strings.  Did you hear this, too, or was this just in my imagination?

Finally, unlike most people, der B and I are credits watchers.  We will stay through the end of the credits, seeing if there are any names we remember from other films, even in the stuff behind the camera.  Towards the end of the credits, a song is sung, fairly good in fact, a ballad that struck me as an obvious bid for a Best Song nomination.

Must dash; I'll try to catch up again later.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2005, 08:26:57 AM »

I'm hoping my Deep Discount order comes today. It was shipped last week.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2005, 08:29:05 AM »

I talked my mom into getting the new TV Guide so she would have 3-D glasses for tonight's "Medium" airing.

Her e-mail back to me was that she found the TV Guide in the grocery store, but it had no glasses.  She reckoned southern folks probably were considered too stupid to know how to make them work so they were spared the trouble.

I wrote back and described the cover to her, told her that there are no longer "regional" issues, and that she might have confused TV Guide with TV Digest or that the store might still be selling last week's TV Guide.

Haven't heard back yet.

Or someone might have just taken the glasses out of the TV GUIDE not wanting to pay for the entire magazine. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people didn't do that.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2005, 08:29:46 AM »

Well, I must hop in the shower now and get ready for the rest of the day.

WBBL.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2005, 08:45:43 AM »

Re: last night's DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

I didn't really enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the last two episodes. There were a few funny things last night, but not enough good stuff.

I liked the Bree storyline.  Lynnette's storyline with teaching her kids not to get into cars with strangers was also cute. But I thought they really glossed over what happened with Gabrielle (would have liked to see what happened as opposed to hearing about it after). And I didn't really care for the Susan storyline (with her father).

I did read one interesting thing this week.  Marc Cherry only wrote one episode of DH this season so far, and it was last week's episode.  I think one good thing about last year's shows was that many of them had grand endings (as did last week's show). I miss that!

Michael

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2005, 09:08:24 AM »

Monday's quick hello.

No show today.

Maybe some more walking around.

Having dinner tonight with at Barrymore's with the usual haines his way suspects.

Yesterday I saw Alter Boyz, I highly recommend. a great afternoon of theater.

Last night it was Forbiddeb Broadway, which I haven't seen a vesion in over 10 years,

The spoof of Light in the Pizza was the killer. Had the audience rolling in the aisles.

After the show I walked passsed the Gershwin and they were just going in for the 2nd act! And the started a half hour before FB started.

Now I don't know if this was mentioned or not but on the extras for State Fair they had a early 70's failed 1hr drama pilot called State Fair. BORING!

But the guest star was BK's friend Linda Purl and she sang on the show.

Her BF was Mitch Vogel who was hot in the 60's and 70's and then disappered. What ever happened to him??

Bye
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2005, 09:20:24 AM »

I didn't even watch that STATE FAIR pilot. It didn't sound interesting to me at all.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2005, 09:21:48 AM »

DR Michael Shayne, what kind of crowd did the theater have for FORBIDDEN BROADWAY? I didn't have time this past summer to see the new edition of the show at the different theater. Thanks for the report.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2005, 09:47:37 AM »

Monday greetings!  Like several other DR's, I have a short work week - just today and tomorrow - then I'm off for 5 days in a row.  Should be 6, but that's a rant I'll avoid here.

Anyway, also like many others here the first major trip I remember was to Washington, DC, in the fall of 1956 or 1957.  My dad had to be there on business, so near the conclusion of his commitment, my mother drove my sister and me (it took 2 days from Detroit) and we met Dad for a family vacation.  There were 2 pretty revolutionary things about this:  1) they took us out of school (my sister was in high school and I was in first grade) and 2) it was somewhat daring for 3 women to drive that distance, and stop overnight, without a man to protect them.  We stayed in the home of my mother's distant cousin and her husband, who was a muckety-muck at Riggs National Bank.  They threw some very fancy party at which I remember the grown-ups drinking a lot of champagne.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2005, 09:50:42 AM »

Oooo, I'm so excited!  DH Richard and I have started talking about what shows we want to see in NYC in January.  Just read that Jonathan Pryce is replacing John Lithgow in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels that very week!  I'm a huge Pryce fan, so we'll definitely put that on our list.  Question for those in the know:  Should we count on TKTS or make other arrangements?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2005, 09:54:03 AM »

While I'm very much looking forward to the burger DH Richard is going to cook for my dinner tonight, I'd also love to be eating at Barrymore's with MichaelS and other DR's!  Thanks for the on-scene reports, Michael!  Sounds like you're having a grand time.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2005, 09:54:21 AM »

Am trying to coordinate a birthday lunch for my boss, who was in India on her birthday (Oct. 31).  We need to do it this week, and Wednesday is the best day for everyone BUT one person who wants us to do it tomorrow, but we all have tight scheduling conflicts for the time period involved.

Sigh.  

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2005, 09:58:56 AM »

MattH, I forgot to mention, last night my next door neighbor came over with the package you sent to me.  

The mailman has misdelivered it, and he was away so he he only got it last night when he came home.  By time he dropped it off it was after 9 and I was just about ready fpr bed after this weekend, so I am going to try to watch it before tonight's Medium.  We're not really sure when it was delivered because he was away for several days.  He hadn't told me he was goingto be away or I would have picked up his mail for him! Ah well!

Thank you so much and I can't wait to see it!

Jason

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2005, 10:00:28 AM »

DR Ginny: You saw "The Greek" in THE FULL MONTY yesterday and you didn't even know it. He played the Minister. (I don't remember a minister in the show, but...there it is).

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »

Speaking of Medium, while walking through Times Square with the charming Michael Shayne we were met by persons handing out Medium 3-D glasses
I grabbed a couple of extras for tonight.  We were joking that we would have to express mail a pair to Jane so she and Keith could watch at the sme time!  

Jason

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2005, 10:02:14 AM »

Oooo, I'm so excited!  DH Richard and I have started talking about what shows we want to see in NYC in January.  Just read that Jonathan Pryce is replacing John Lithgow in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels that very week!  I'm a huge Pryce fan, so we'll definitely put that on our list.  Question for those in the know:  Should we count on TKTS or make other arrangements?

If you're a big Pryce fan - especially with it being his first week - I'd go ahead and secure tickets now. TKTS is hit-or-miss sometimes.

Consider seeing SPELLING BEE while you're up here, too. I think you'd love it.

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2005, 10:05:08 AM »

DR Ginny: You saw "The Greek" in THE FULL MONTY yesterday and you didn't even know it. He played the Minister. (I don't remember a minister in the show, but...there it is).

Yes, he got a pretty big laugh conducting a funeral in the second act.

And Spelling Bee is also on our list, along with Barbara Cook's concert at the Met on Friday, January 20.  Better get online and do some shopping, huh?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:07:10 AM by Ginny »

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2005, 10:05:19 AM »

Jason, did you get your birthday song?

Ben

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2005, 10:05:22 AM »

I know that much of what we read in columns, both gossip and non-gossip, is press release fodder but if this comes to pass, I will vomit, not just on the floor, but all over the floor!   :P

Brittany
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:05:59 AM by Ben »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2005, 10:05:58 AM »

Will you hold your breath til you turn blue?

Well then it would be Blue Christmas, silly.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2005, 10:07:06 AM »

Let us move on to Page 3, post-haste!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up