Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HARK! THE HAROLD ANGELS SING  (Read 49279 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:HARK! THE HAROLD ANGELS SING
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2005, 12:42:03 PM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2005, 01:09:43 PM »

Top shows that I've seen this past year:

La Cage Aux Folles (Capital Playhouse, Olympia)
City of Angels (Capital Playhouse, Olympia)
Miss Saigon (Fifth Avenue, Seattle)

I worked backstage for a touring production of The Full Monty, so I didn't actually see it (or anything ;)), but it was fun working on it.

Stephen Schwartz, Debbie Gravitte and Scott Coulter all performed together and I got to see their!  Fabulous!

Melissa Manchester in concert was also a wonderful evening.

Okay, that's six.

"The Chronicles of Narnia:  The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is the only movie that I can remember that I loved.

That's seven...and that's all for now. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2005, 01:16:35 PM »

Busy morning and afternoon. I wanted to pop in here for a few minutes before heading out again at 6 tonight. After Friday, I think most of the partying and busy times will be over.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2005, 01:19:52 PM »

I did find time while scarfing down a salad this afternoon to watch the first episode on the First Season DVD set of CSI: NY. During the first season of this show, the producers desaturated the color from the show to give the program a gritty, morose reality. In terms of tone, it certainly worked, but the show's ebbing popularity during its first season convinced them that the show was too much of a downer.

This season has seen the hues become more vibrant (not to match the Las Vegas or Miami counterparts, of course, but definitely brighter and more colorful). And the ratings have been much better this season as a result.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2005, 01:21:16 PM »

I've been very fortunate these part two nights that none of the shows I regularly watch have had new episodes being telecast. I can go to these parties and not worry about a DVR full of shows to watch when I return.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2005, 01:35:56 PM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?  This isn't a weekend, you know.  It's not the holiday yet, you know.  It's the Christmas season, you know.  

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2005, 01:38:17 PM »

I've been lucky that I can zip back home for a couple of hours between bouts of travel around town. Perhaps others stay out all day until their errands/work are finished.

At any rate, I still have an hour or so before I have to think about packing up the car with the gifts for this evening and heading out.

Tomovoz

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2005, 01:46:35 PM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?  This isn't a weekend, you know.  It's not the holiday yet, you know.  It's the Christmas season, you know.  
Some of us have just woken up. and have now caught up!

"Up" is difficult to catch when he has been woken suddenly.
There is now a hold up.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2005, 02:29:23 PM »

Heading out now for the shindig of the evening.

WBBL; we're going to attenmpt to watch a Christmas-themed movie after dinner. There was talk this morning of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, and if that wins the vote, I'll be VERY late coming back on-line.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2005, 02:35:31 PM »

Holy smokes, what in tarnation IS going on here?  I'm afraid this will NOT do.  I'm afraid there will be a little Christmas bitch-slapping going around.  

Has Ann caught up?  Certainly she was here last night reading but not posting.  Now it is time to read AND post, and that goes for the rest of you mugs.

George

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2005, 02:53:27 PM »

I'm here...ordering books at work.  Adult non-fiction (I work at a library).  I'm just about to listen to THIS CD that we got here a few days ago:

It's called "You've Stolen My Heart:  Songs from R. D. Burman's Bollywood" by The Kronos quartet and Asha Bhosle.  Has MBarnum heard (or even heard of) this??  I liked the few clips on amazon.com that I've listened to...so far.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 02:59:25 PM by George »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2005, 03:02:22 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from the Green Room!

...I did manage to get out of bed "early" today in order to get my workout in this morning.  Alas, since there were a few things I had to take care of after my workout - and before my shower - namely paying some bills online - I ended up greeting my friend, Justin, at the door in my underwear.  Rest assured, it was all very innocent.  Kind of comic actually.  So, while Justin watched the final hour of "The Today Show", I took my shower, got dressed, and then we headed out to breakfast at the Silver Diner nearby.

Breakfast was good - eggs, bacon, etc.  -And The Silver Diner now offers a substitution of strawberries with fat-free cinnamon sour cream for their hash browns and biscuit, so that's what I had with my eggs.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2005, 03:05:07 PM »

Justin has applied for a job at Arena Stage, and since I had to go in for understudy rehearsal today, he tagged along with me for a little bit of a tour and meet and greet.  It was sort of like a job pre-interview.  I'm hoping he gets the job, and he really wants to work here too.

Then after he went on his merry, marry, mary way - he was flying back home to Tennessee this afternoon - it was time for the rehearsal...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2005, 03:13:36 PM »

The understudy rehearsal went very well.  It was our first understudy rehearsal, and they were all pretty much on top of all their lines, blocking, music and lyrics.  We were able to basically run the show in real time.

The highlight of the day was when we ran "The Game".  The male swing, Sean, covers all the baseball players, so, when it came time to run "The Game", he played and sang all the parts.  It was a virtual tour-de-force.

Then after some notes from the stage manager, we did some detail work on the music and choreography.  And that was that.

We'll be having another understudy rehearsal next Wednesday along with a brush-up rehearsal right after that with the full company.  And, then, hopefully, that will be it until we have the put-in rehearsal for Sean in mid-January.  -Alas, we'll be losing one of our ensemble men to the tour of Spamalot.  But, Sean is more then up to the task.  -And then we hope and hope that no one else gets sick or injured for the rest of the run.

*Normally, we'd be having understudy rehearsal each week - five to ten hours each week.  Well, since everyone was so on top of things, the stage manager has just decided to only have rehearsals on an as needed, as requested basis.  HOO and RAY!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2005, 03:15:57 PM »

Greetings from home!  Left work at 4pm today - everybody was crabby there - and am now home for Christmas cocooning with my family until noon next Wednesday.  When I arrived, our house smelled wonderful with a beef stew DH Richard is making for dinner and Kiri te Kanawa is singing carols on the iMac.  Much better than a crabby library.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2005, 03:16:48 PM »

And one for Mahler!

May he RIP...forever.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2005, 03:20:30 PM »

I actually began thinking of posting around 9:30 a.m. est, but my mom suggested a shopping trip to get me shoes, shoes, shoes.

And we got shoes.

This afternoon, I watched "Jane Eyre" on the Fox Movie Channel.  Quite an atmospheric and wonderful film.

My mom has finally caught up on her soaps (Young and Restless and Bold and Beautiful) which she taped while we were out, and which she delayed her viewing of until I could watch "Jane Eyre."

There is always something going on, somewhere to go or something to do.  None of it urgent, consequential or essential, as those things go.

But...busy, busy, busy.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2005, 03:21:28 PM »

Topic of the Day...

In no particular order - well, it's the order that I'm remembering things...

"Brokeback Mountain"
The Color Purple
Sweeney Todd
See What I Wanna See
On the Razzle
- Up at Williamstown
"Millions"

...And a couple of other shows and movies I know I'm forgetting at this point and time.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2005, 03:22:44 PM »

I hope everyone who has ever gotten sick-to-death of a particular song can appreciate what I'm saying...I am so tired of "Mary, Did You Know" -- hearing it, hearing about it, and hearing "Mary" pronounced "MAY-ree".

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2005, 03:24:38 PM »

TOD:

"Irving Berlin's 'White Christmas'" (times 10)

That's the only theatrical event of my year, thus far.

Movie: "Brokeback Mountain" and "War of the Worlds" are the only two films I've seen in a theater this year.  Both are stunners, IMO.

DVDs: The Astaire-Rogers box set and the complete "The Thin Man" box set are my favorites of the year.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 03:25:51 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2005, 03:27:21 PM »

My mom, my aunt and I played two games of "Super Scrabble" last night.

That's the one with a bigger board, greater point values (up to quadruple word value), and 200 letter tiles.  It took us about 3 1/2 hours to play two games.

Most enjoyable.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2005, 03:32:19 PM »

OH!

And today was also the Arena Stage Christmas Party.  It was going on while we had understudy rehearsal.  Our stage manager graciously fixed me up a plate of food while I was playing.  And they had Thai food too!  YUMMY!  Chicken satay, Beef in Red Curry, Chicken in Yellow Curry, Tofu in Panang Curry, etc.

And then there was a table full of "naked" gingerbread men with cups of frosting, red hots, colored sugars, etc.  -And I actually ended up eating one of the them...  Well, two of them.   -Hey, I worked out this morning!

;)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 03:33:09 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2005, 03:34:44 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam and Matthew - Did you see my late night post from yesterday?  I'm San Francisco bound!  -Well, for at least one day.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2005, 03:42:17 PM »

I only saw two movies at the cinema this year - both were underwhelming:
Wonka and WotW.  Both missed the boat for me.

DVD of choice for the year
  "A Very Long Engagement"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2005, 03:42:33 PM »

...And I'm just wondering if there will be any public backlash in the coming days on the New York City Transit...  I'm imagining the number of dirty looks that the bus drivers, train operators and booth workers will be getting over the next couple of days...  Yes, I'm sure many people will be thankful to be able to ride the trains and busses again, but I'm sure many people will be riding them just for spite.  -Or something like that.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2005, 03:44:59 PM »

Best theatrical  perfomance: Judi Connelli and David Campbell in "Sunset Boulevarde".  The show is still nothing but the stars were wonderful.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2005, 04:04:46 PM »

GRJose, Jack Noseworthy is out of LESTAT!  I told you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2005, 04:07:58 PM »

My mom, my aunt and I played two games of "Super Scrabble" last night.

That's the one with a bigger board, greater point values (up to quadruple word value), and 200 letter tiles.  It took us about 3 1/2 hours to play two games.

Most enjoyable.

My parents got Super Scrabble and they love it.  My sister and I got them a large lazy Susan at Costco (for Christmas) so that they don't have to lift the board to turn it around (and move all the tiles).  My sister has the regular Scrabble game and got herself one, too.  It's quite a nice and large lazy Susan.

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2005, 04:14:21 PM »

Mmmm, just finished a yummilicious dinner of beef stew and a lovely whole wheat bread with sesame seeds on top.  I'm relaxing until after Jeopardy, and will then make shortbread cut-out cookies.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2005, 04:31:59 PM »

Oh....Jack is out of LESTAT....details, please.

DRJOSE ate a gingerbread man with a sugar cup - where was your camera!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up