Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TURKEY LURKEY TIME  (Read 20747 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TURKEY LURKEY TIME
« on: November 27, 2003, 12:10:26 AM »

Well, you've read the notes and now it's time to post until the turkeys come home.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 12:08:22 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TURKEY LURKEY TIME
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 12:51:07 AM »

Two film composers in one week - Michael Small has passed away.  Mr. Small wrote three of the best scores of the 70s - The Parallax View, Klute and Marathon Man.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 03:22:34 AM »

I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday. For those not in a holiday land - be safe and happy too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 04:05:00 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving one and all, and also all and one. We will go out for dinner, since most of my family won't eat turkey. After that, we plan on hauling out the old home movies and slides from my childhood and having a family video night so my parents will at least be with us in spirit.  Sometime during the day, Sandra and I will take our annual Thanksgiving Day Drive, where we simply drive aimlessly just for fun.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 04:13:18 AM »

Hello, HHW friends,

I haven't been posting because of computer woes. Both the scrolling and the typing are painstakingly slow. The only time I have some measure of success is at the crack of dawn, when the board is empty. But I have ways of keeping up (going to the member list and then accessing the person's last 10 or so posts), and, of course, I always enjoy the daily topics. I've had one computer doc try to help, but the problem persists. I'm persistent.

I wanted to talk about a favorite Thanksgiving memory (I grew up as Dan-in-New York). In the years before my dad passed away, we had a family ritual. My dad knew the owner of an upscale Manhattan restaurant, and the deal was that we could have a free Thanksgiving feast there - all the trimmings - provided we were out before the first lunch guests had arrived. So we were usually on the turkey and stuffing by 11:15 am, and eating our chocolate turkeys as we raced out at 12. We'd spend the rest of the day at a movie and then the penny arcade, before returning home exhausted. The year before my dad died he took us to the ecumenical Thanksgiving service at the Metropolitan Community Church. I was fifteen at the time, and we found ourselves sitting near Eleanor Roosevelt. She too passed away the following year, so astute readers can figure out exactly how ancient I am.

Thanks for prompting that memory. I'm thankful that you did. And a good holiday to everyone.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2003, 04:16:18 AM »

Please do not ask me why I am up at this hour, Dear Readers, as I know not why I am up at this hour.  I have no need to place a bird in the oven at this hour, the parade does not come on the television for another five hours, and I do not need to be anywhere for Thanksgiving dinner until much later today.  I am hopeful that I will be able to go back to sleep.

I have already checked today's New York Times on line and see that tension and squabbling over Thanksgiving holiday traditions are not limited to our own family gatherings.  Apparently Mr. Harvey Fierstein's op-ed column in yesterday's New York Times has evolved (or is it devolved?) into a Harvey Fierstein/Edna Turnblad/Mrs. Santa/Macy's debacle.

Click on the link for more details:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/27/nyregion/27CLAU.html
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 04:24:05 AM »

On the topic o' the day:

I shall travel to the County of Orange later today, Dear Readers, where I shall join my mother for a Thanksgiving celebration.  I shall whisk her away in my vehicle to the Beach of Laguna, where we shall dine in a restaurant called Splashes, inside the Surf and Sand Hotel.  The restaurant and hotel overlook the Pacific Ocean, and with a 4:00 p.m. reservation, we should have a lovely sunset to entertain us as we consider all the many, many, many (that is three manys) things we have for which we are thankful.

I have many happy Thanksgiving memories, ranging from the time I was a child to now, and am grateful to have arrived at one more Thanksgiving holiday.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 04:25:17 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 05:06:55 AM »

I have been catching up on posts that I have missed during the week. Mark Bakalor answer a question I posted and I have a followup to it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Michael Shayne on November 23, 2003, 09:12:11 PM
Is anyone having problems with the radio show? The last few shows there seems to be a minute or so between the clips is anyone else experiencing this?

Everyone is having this problem now that we've switched servers away from hijinks. Hijinks has a Real Media server which allows the real media format (ie., the Broadway Radio Show) to be streamed differently than on a server without. Because this new host doesn't have a Real Media server we're stuck with the download delay between tracks.

_________________________________________________ ______Is there another audio system that can be used so we don't have these pause between clips or should Mr. Donald Feltham record the show in on long clip?
Never stop dreaming.

Andrea

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2003, 05:47:33 AM »

oh Bk! We aren't abandoning you. Sometimes the younger folk need to be immature without cluttering up the board; sometimes emily needs to NOT send music to Swishy. And if it makes you feel better, Mark is online, but never, ever talks to us.

Me... I wasn't posting last night cause I was making delightful shortbread cookies. So delightful that I gave up halfway and started crying until my mom came home and repaired them. And then I burnt them.

I can not cook.

Emily

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 06:22:45 AM »

I think Andrea's Christmas present will be a copy of THE JOY OF COOKING.  That is, as long as they make ones that are flame retardent ;)

Happy Thursday everyone!  Did anyone see Mike Myers on Letterman last night?  His diatribe against American Thanksgiving being historically inaccurate was making me shake with laughter.

Tonight my parents are making hamburgers.  They will not be stuffed on come with gravy.

Andrea, I know, is going to her Yankee CYGOPP's apartment for a big kosher thanksgiving feast to which everyone and their cousin is invited EXCEPT FOR ME.  I am hurt.  I am appalled.  I would have liked an invitation my dear.  Maybe that way I could have helped you not-burn sugar cookies :)

Craig, why are you now an administrator and Mark "hormones" Bakalor is no longer listed as a member?  Weird things happen when you cross the 9000 post threshold...

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating it (if, albeit, on the historically inaccurate day - tee hee) and to the rest of us, let's try to be as bitter as humanly possible over the fact that we all have to go to work/school today AND tomorrow.

We will gain our revenge come Boxing Day, Victoria/Patriotes Day and Canada Day! :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 06:23:13 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2003, 06:25:18 AM »

This is the first year in very many that has not involved masses of relatives arriving from Florida and other parts south.  There are only 6 of us around my father’s table this year.  The other couple is marrying in July.

In other years, we were in a larger house, packed to the gills (a What is it, fish? reference) with relatives.  A cousin had actually gotten married here, such is our tradition of assembling in Eastern Pennsylvania, 99 miles frrom New York.

Then, this same cousin and his wife started having children, and boy, did that change everything.  A much-loved relative from British Columbia stopped attending, as he loathes children.  As the little boys grew, well, they just got louder and more obnoxious.  Worst of all, there was a third.  In our family, you have exactly two children and you stop.  Having any more would be unseemly.

So, my favorite of these Thanksgivings was the one in which my cousin, responding to somebody’s joking prediction that they’d continue to people this earth, said “Oh, you don’t have to worry about that.  I’ve had a vasectomy.”

We all broke out into sustained applause.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2003, 06:57:04 AM »

GOBBLE GOBBLE

A very Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving to all you DR's.

Warning---Don't eat the whole thing!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2003, 07:00:50 AM »

SWISHY-

You better get your dowry together.One year and four months is not a long time'

By the way--I know this is premature..but Welcome to the Family!!

Emily

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2003, 07:19:15 AM »

How quickly I am forgotten when a younger girl comes into the picture...

I feel like Haggis McBaggis. :(

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2003, 07:29:42 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

These are B I G vibes for Ms Juliana A. Hansen for her MILLIE performance tonight!  All of your H/K friends will be there in spirit wishing you well and cheering you on!!!  ;D

DR Jay...LOL....and it happened just that way last night at the Rangers/Panthers game!  8)

Thanks for the Hello, Dolly! info MDS!  Fascinating!

George your Thanksgiving Picture was very funny!

And I think I will give thanks that I didn't see this production of COMPANY at the Burning Coal Theatre, wherever that is.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 07:32:13 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2003, 07:32:19 AM »

I was NOT on MSN last night. OK, that's a lie, I was on MSN for a grand total of 5 minutes, but then my computer crashed...again. And again. And at about mindnight, I yelled a few explicitives and gave up. I now have a popup infestation and I have NO clue how to get rid of it, because everytime I try, I get MORE popups. AAAGH.

But to reiterate, I have talked to both Mark AND Andrea exactly once on MSN. Emily is more, but a TON of that is just sending music. So pish posh!

DR Arnold: I have been informed by Craig that you are forgetting about the dowry, which is nice, because (a) I have no spendable money, and (b), I know my parents aren't giving it...the whole idea of their 16 year old daughter marrying a man over thirty is going to be rather unwelcomed. And thank you for the welcome! :)

Emily, dear, Craig said that you could try again after having a "proposal lesson" from me. Now's your shot, don't freeze!

I missed the parade. Again. I always do that!

And now I'm off to hell for about 30 hours. Just shoot me now.
...Walk in the sunshine...

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2003, 07:35:37 AM »

Oh...best Thanksgiving memory would have to be 2 years ago, when my mom recieved an emergency phone call (she's a certified nurse), ran over to the neighbors house only to find a false alarm, walked BACK home angry, only to find that her food was burning....ALL of it.

So we went to Ruth's Chris instead, and it was wonderful. They even gave us a small discount after hearing our story. I should start burning food more often.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all, be safe and don't burst.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2003, 07:36:50 AM »

I will be at home today.....Molly and Jason and I are going to WalMart Midnight Madness tonight!

I am jealous that Mr BK has a DVD of "The Tales of Hoffman" - grrrrrr...I have only seen it once, but I was mesmerized!  "The Red Shoes" is one of my favorite movies....of ALL TIME....and if any of the younger DR's have not seen it, I recommend that you do...NOW!

DR Jason have you seen THE RED SHOES?

We are having turkey and noodles today......mmmmmmmm......

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2003, 07:40:30 AM »

;)   :o   ::)   :-*   8)  

Dear eteemed, editorial, erudite, enchanting, and erotic BK --  
A most Happy THanksgiving to you today.  I hope that work goes extra-smoothly, you have gobs of super-yummy food traverse past the gates of your gaping maw, and then have a contented little burp from your pupik while you relax.  Now, if I could just arrange for Leslie Parrish to show up on your front door, then the world would indeed sing.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all the lovely DRs here at HHW, and to the elusive and lovely Guy, himself.

We are going to DR Kerry's younger sister's house this afternoon.  She is a great cook, all I have to bring is a side dish of green beans with almonds and trafe...I mean bacon.  And Sugar can go with us and enjoy the holdiday as well.

So, it is a good day all around, and almost-all asquare.  

In answer to the QOTD from several days ago about what was the scariest or most horrible thaing that ever happened to you....Kerry was urging me to post an absolutely real event-story that happened to me years ago.  I was in a foreign country, it involved danger, buying illegal documents, sneaking my stuff out of a hotel at night, etc. .  But it is a little long and convoluted, and I didn't want to bore everyone here.

8)

Danise

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2003, 07:41:11 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY TURKEY DAY, EVERYONE!!![/move]

Even if it isn't a holiday for you, I wish you all a good and safe one.  

My fondest Thanksgiving memories were when I was growing up and my Dad was still alive.  I love stuffing, waited all year for it and it was a real family project to make it.  I remember the 3 of us around the kitchen table, chopping the onions, celery and green pepper.  And then the tasting to make sure it had enough of everything.  And then we went into the living room to watch the Macy's parade.  Those were good times.   :)

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2003, 07:42:45 AM »

Bk-
Do you have any idea when TALES OF HOFFMAN will be released in the USA?

Can't wait!!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2003, 07:45:39 AM »

Emily-

Craig has been known to be fickle...so don't give up.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2003, 07:51:14 AM »

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all who celebrate. Good morning to all others.

I am invited to a dear friend's house this afternoon at 1 p.m. where there will be six guys sitting around a dinner table more than likely gorging themselves into a stupor. Or, maybe I'm just talking about me. This is the one day that I will eat outrageously and not worry about calories, fat grams, or waistline. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to it!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2003, 07:51:27 AM »

DR Music Guy - enquiring minds WANT to know.

DR Jason - have a good time at your Thanksgiving feast....they would not have invited you if they did not think you would fit in!  

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2003, 07:53:38 AM »

I also want to thank DR Michael Shayne for that fascinating HELLO DOLLY information. I didn't know about lots of those dropped scenes and songs, and it was fascinating stuff, all posted after I went to bed last night. Jerry Herman's autobiography offers little information on the putting together of HELLO DOLLY other than his trouble with the legalities with the title song.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2003, 08:22:51 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving, DR's.  I think my best Thanksgiving memory was when an ex of mine and myself spent the weekend with his pal in Sacramento.  We did all the cooking and it was just so much fun.  Today, I will be dining with the "fun" half of my family, however all three of my siblings have taken off for parts unknown, so it will be my mother and I and her cousin's wife's family.  Be safe, and send good vibes that someone remembers the Broccoli-Cheese casserole.

Kerry

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2003, 08:28:43 AM »

WE don't have to have everyone over to OUR house for Thanksgiving this year (which has been the tradition for the last five years or so), so this will be a wonderful break.   This way, when my family (who I dearly love) get to be tooo much for me, we can leave instead of me hiding in some unoccupied room in my house for a few moments of solitude.
I like boat races.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2003, 08:30:25 AM »

HAPPY TURKEY DAY, EVERYONE!

It's been really fun reading the Thanksgiving memories.   Sad to say, I don't really have any one Turkey Day memory that stands out...they all kind of swirl together.  I do have dishes that are special to me, as I always ate them each year growing up.  I continue to make two of them: 24 hour salad (lettuce and onions and cauliflour in a mayonnaise/parmesan/sugar dressing, refrigerated for 24 hours before serving) and lima bean casserole, which sounds disgusting (even the ingredients don't sound good) but which is delicious.  No kidding, people always want the recipe after they try it.

For dinner today, we're having those two dishes along with the usual fare: turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing (not in the bird, but made separately so it's got a crispy crush rather than being mushy), cranberry sauce, corn, crescent rolls.  Pumpkin pie and whipped cream for dessert, natch.

Today The Hubby and I took a walk after breakfast and talked about all the stuff we're thankful for.  Corny, I know, but it was fun.  Then we came home and watched an hour and a half of the Macy's parade (more on that later) while I crocheted (I'm making afghans for family members for X-mas) and he drew.  Then he put the turkey in the oven (he always makes the turkey, and does a bang-up job) and then we went out on the porch (it's around 73 degrees, with a nice breeze) and had some brie, Carr's cracker assortment and red wine.  

The Parade:  Okay.  I haven't seen one of these in YEARS.  I have the 1984 one on tape (well, part of it), so it was interesting comparing the two parades, nearly 20 years apart.  In some ways it's exactly the same, but there are some differences.

First, the commercials.  I don't know, but I thought the commercials in 1984 made sense.  Toys R Us, Osh Kosh B'gosh (clothing for children), the ubiquitous McDonald's ads with Ronald McDonald capering about.  Lots of Christmas-y stuff with toys, kids, etc.  Cloying, in their way, but I could understand the logic behind their placement.

Now...the commercials in 2003.  MetLife.  Bank of America.  Carnival Cruise Lines.  One McDonald's commercial that was tied into some movie (Cat in the Hat?) but no Ronald, of course (they 86'd him two months ago).  Oh, and a weird commercial involving Santa injuring himself going down the chimney and ruing the day he didn't sign up for a worker's comp policy.  I honestly don't know who they're trying to appeal to, or why, but it just didn't feel all that Thanksgiving-y or Christmas-y.  

OK, and here's the other thing I wanted to ask about:

I haven't been on this board for awhile, so I know somebody or other has probably posted an opinion on this.  And apologies in advance if what I am about to say offends anyone who loves this show, knows personally anybody involved with it, etc.  BUT...the production number they showcased from The Boy From Oz made the show look absolutely wretched.  The Hubby and I stopped what we were doing and watched it agape.  Occasionally one of us would manage to gasp out, "I can't believe how AWFUL this is!", then we would fall into stunned silence again.  So what I want to know is...what IS the buzz on this show?  Was the number presented in the parade today a horrible aberration (I pray it was), or does it accurately convey the quality therein?

Whew...this is long.  If you've stuck with me thus far...THANKS!  And again, have a great holiday!
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2003, 09:11:31 AM »

In answer to the QOTD from several days ago about what was the scariest or most horrible thaing that ever happened to you....Kerry was urging me to post an absolutely real event-story that happened to me years ago.  I was in a foreign country, it involved danger, buying illegal documents, sneaking my stuff out of a hotel at night, etc. .  But it is a little long and convoluted, and I didn't want to bore everyone here.

You're right, MusicGuy.  That doesn't sound interesting at all.  We'll gorge on turkey, torpor will set in, we'll read your danger story, and heads will hit keyboards as we fall asleep.

In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2003, 09:16:02 AM »

DR Lulu, THE BOY FROM OZ did not get good notices for the show, but Hugh Jackman basically got love letters for his performance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up