Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TURKEY LURKEY TIME  (Read 20749 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:TURKEY LURKEY TIME
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2003, 09:20:52 AM »

A Happy Day to everyone!

Yesterday, the immeasurable der Brucer and I went out, sizing up our options for a kitchen table.  We really do need one, since there is this great big area in the middle of the kitchen that is crying out "Fill me with a table!"

There is a major consideration that I had to demonstrate to him, and that is the height that said table should be.  As BK can attest, I'm fairly tall, der Brucer being far easier for BK to see eye-to-eye with (at least physically, and BK is far from short).  This tallness leads to my arms being proportionately long, but the key here is proportionately.  When I stand next to our kitchen counters, which are 36" high, I can rest the palm of my hand flat on the counter without bending my elbow!  So, you ask?  Well, this means that in order to work at the counter, for any chopping or kneading or whatever else Mrs. Lovett might do, I have to lean down, because most of those actions involve bending the elbows!  She may stoop to conquer, but this laddie finds stooping to cook a royal pain in the back!  Therefor and QED, I ergonomically require a table higher than standard, I'd say 38" should do it.

So, of course, most of the tables we were looking at were designed for Cathy Rigby.

The good news is that there is a place in town that will custom-build tables.  I just hope we can find a basic design that fits my needs.  (We haven't even begun to discuss how large a table we need.  I fear the engineer in der Brucer isn't going to understand that walking around a table isn't such a big deal, and that having a decently sized workspace is the next thing I'll be aiming for.)

We also went out pricing turkeys, but plan on eating out tonight.  We were out pricing turkeys to get a general idea on what our outlay will be come Christmas, if we roast turkeys in our new ovens to be distributed to needy families.  Personally, I think the general idea is a good one, but we might be better off finding out what charitable organizations need help and then offer, adapting to what help they need.  Still, the notion is a good one, as I say.

Time to bake cookies!  (Yesterday was spent table shopping, no time to bake.   :P)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2003, 09:28:11 AM »

I know you've all been wondering, Dear Readers, whether I ever fell back asleep.  Well, I did, and ended up sleeping in much later than I wanted to.  Isn't that exciting?  Isn't that too too?

Just checking in here during a commercial break during the parade.  I agree with Dear Reader Lulu, the thing has become very commercialized.  Still, I enjoy the excerpts from the Broadway productions, and any event that features the Rockettes can't be all bad!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2003, 09:35:46 AM »

I haven't watched the parade for years, but at 8:55 this morning, I got a frantic call from a dear friend who had promised a friend of ours that he'd tape the parade for him since The friend's VCR was broken. He had forgotten to set his VCR and now he and family were on their way to church, so he asked if I would tape the parade. I did, so I guess I'll get to see the Broadway excerpts for once. (I never watch the parade. I had to march in too many of them growing up and never want to see or be a part of another one.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2003, 09:45:34 AM »

Well, I'm off to my Thanksgiving dinner. I should be back late this afternoon or early evening, so keep the home fires burning and everyone enjoy their day!

:)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Andrea

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2003, 09:50:31 AM »

1. Emily, CYGOPP asked you to come! You said no! So there. I'm bringing a hot and sexy former debutante for CYGOPP's friend.

2. Swishy, I'll start handsewing the linens for you.

3. Thanks for the good vibes. The puppy was found.

Music of the moment: The Idiot, Stan Rogers.

Clothing: turtle neck and pj pants ( I just got into something more comfy but I still have to go out, so I'm not completely in pjs.

Thanksgiving tonight: I'll give you the update on thanksgiving-- It is because of CYGOPP's canadian thanksgiving that we got together.

kisses~

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2003, 09:51:55 AM »

I shall travel to the County of Orange later today, Dear Readers, where I shall join my mother for a Thanksgiving celebration.  I shall whisk her away in my vehicle to the Beach of Laguna, where we shall dine in a restaurant called Splashes, inside the Surf and Sand Hotel.  The restaurant and hotel overlook the Pacific Ocean, and with a 4:00 p.m. reservation, we should have a lovely sunset to entertain us as we consider all the many, many, many (that is three manys) things we have for which we are thankful.

As it happens, I have found A LINK!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2003, 09:58:01 AM »

Gobble-Gobble!

It was sooo nice to be able to sleep in today.  I got up around 10:00 initially, then put my head back on my pillow... I got up again thinking it was only a few minutes later...  I headed downstairs to watch some of the Macy's Parade, and, lo and behold, Santa was entering Herald Square!  It was just a little before Noon!  Now that's sleeping in!  And, best of all, I get to do it all again tomorrow if I choose to.

-Now if I could just get my sinuses to behave... but I can tell the rest has helped.

As for Thanksgiving memories... Hmmm...  Nothing really stands out in my mind.  Which I guess is actually a good thing.  I've always been around family and/or friends - even when I was on the road for two Thanksgivings.  I've always had turkey and all the fixings.  I've always been thankful to be able to enjoy the feast.

As for today's feast... I think my brother is going to deep-fry a turkey.  He did it last year, and it came out well, and our backyard/porch area is set up nicely for the whole rig - all safety precautions are in place.  And I guess we'll eat when it's ready.  No real big to-do around here - we save the big to-dos for Christmas - but there will be three of the four boys (myself and two of my brothers) home, as well as the three grandchildren in addition to my parents/grandparents.  It should be a very nice late lunch, early dinner.  And then I think I may be heading to the movies or going to Tower Records to do some shopping - Christmas and otherwise.

Now this is actually sort of a tradition for me... When I was in my late teens, driver's license in hand, my cousin, Sarah and I decided to head down to the new Tower Records in DC to see if they were really open 365 days a year.  And, yes, they were!  We then proceeded to do the same thing on Christmas day - that's when we discovered the Tower calendars - hmm... just how many can we take at once?  It was such a nice way for us to get away from the big multi-family gathering - and after the big dinner, the whole affair usually turned in the father's playing pool and/or poker in the basement, and the mother's gossiping ("cheese-meese-ing") and/or playing mahhjong in the kitchen.  Meanwhile, the "kids" were left to their own devices - usually in front of the TV.  So... I will most likely head to Tower later today - they are even having a pre-early-day-after-Thanksgiving sale tonight for a couple of hours.  Some pretty decent sales.
And, if I don't head to Tower tonight... Just means more money for tomorrow!  *I've actually be contemplating braving the crowds and the madness tomorrow - I haven't done it in years, but one of my brothers is up at the crack of dawn, and my father usually takes advantage of some of the great deals at the post exchange (he's retired Coast Guard).   But that would mean I wouldn't get to sleep in again, so...  We'll see...

Well, time for me to head back downstairs and start nibbling on whatever's down there...  Back in a bit...

Oh, and as for the Parade... Has it always been carried on two networks?  I always thought one network showed the Macy's one, and then another showed some other city's festivities - ??? But, this year, both NBC and CBS were broadcasting the parade - and each one featured different Broadway shows.  Lots of channel flipping for the show-tune diehards.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2003, 10:01:15 AM »

DR Jay - When I was out in LA in September, the GM took us out to Laguna - I hadn't been there in years - and we had a lovely dinner at Las Brisas.  Unfortunately, since it was a very overcast day, our oceanside/oceanview table didn't afford us a view of the sunset since it was obscured by all the gray.  Ah, well...  In any case, it was a nice restaurant - high end Mexican - and we had a lovely meal regardless of whether or not we had the sunset to go with it.
Make Your Own Luck.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2003, 10:13:28 AM »

I feel so powerful with my new status and yet confused all at the same time. Mark? Mark.. are you there?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2003, 10:20:13 AM »

Ah, what a glorious sleep I had.  And what glorious posts to wake up to.

All right, I apologize for all the snarky comments about MSN last night (even though I was joking - a clue to when I am joking is when I use the same word four hundred times) - I thought when I mentioned it the first time and then all those folks who said they'd been doing the MSN thing before all logged off at exactly the same time, well, I mistakenly thought that was a sure sign that nefarious things were going on.

I've written Mr. Mark Bakalor about the fact that he seems to be a guest rather than the admin but he has not deigned to respond.  No, he has not deigned to respond so maybe one of the bevy of bountiful beautiful haremettes could ask him to do so.  I'd written him about this topic (jokingly) last night and so had Mr. Guy Haines, so maybe he's feeling angry, but Thanksgiving is not a time for anger it is a time for thanks so someone tell him to put it back the way it wuz.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2003, 10:26:31 AM »

Wait.. Guy emailed Mark? He has time to do that but not post here? That seems Snarky to me!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2003, 10:33:07 AM »

Guy is totally snarky.  He's the snarkiest.  Well, hopefully one of the bevies of bountiful, beautiful bodacious haremettes will get him to respond, but he does like to sleep in so he's probably still in dreamland.  I had a glorious sleep and I am feeling my oats, which I like to do in the morning.  I like to feel my oats and I always have a generous supply of Quaker's Oats to do so.

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was Thanksgiving or something.  I want more Thanksgiving memories please, and let's keep the Thanksgiving spirit alive here at the snarkiest website on all the Internet.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2003, 10:36:38 AM »

Turkey's in the oven
and the vegetables are comin' along fine.

Can any DR tell me what song in what musical those lines are from?  If anyone has posted the correct answer when I check back later (probably not for several hours) I will confirm it.  If not I'll give the answer tomorrow.

I am thankful that in about eight hours all the guests (who will be arriving in about two) should be gone and I will have the rest of the weekend to recover and eat leftovers.

I am also thankful that good old fashioned musical comedy is back on Broadway and that when the critics see NEVER GONNA DANCE next week I hope they will agree.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2003, 10:41:35 AM »

Music Guy:  No! Really! DO TELL US the story!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2003, 10:43:30 AM »

Say, I have an idea.  Say, why don't those who are having company or who are going places where there is a computer, log on to HHW and have your guests make a post - isn't that a lovely Thanksgiving idea?  Let's do it.

And please, one of the bounty of beautiful bubbly haremettes go tell Mr. Mark Bakalor to respond.  Tell him I've taken back all my snarky comments and tell him it is snarky to ignore e-mails.  Tell him on a Thursday, please.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2003, 10:45:10 AM »

Oh, and Juliana sends her love and wants everyone to send her good vibes and xylophones this evening.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2003, 10:53:55 AM »

Thanksgivings:  I haven't had a "family" Thanksgiving since 1969.  THAT's how long it has been, sorry to say.  I entered the Navy in the summer of 1970 and spent all my military Thanksgivings (until 1994) either on base, at sea or overseas.  There were plenty of good ones during those times, though, especially overseas.  I spent many warm, wonderful Thanksgivings at the homes of friends in my earlier years.  Later, when I was in a villa of my own in Italy, I had many folks over to my house at Thanksgiving, as well as being part of other families' gatherings.  Each was unique and special to me, but alas, also a little blurry.

What I recall from the Thanksgivings of my "at-home" years was having Thanksgiving with my grandparents, with me and my cousins sitting at the kitchen table while the "grupps" had dinner at the formal dining room table under my grandmother's chandelier!!  My maternal aunt has some home movie footage of one of these occasions, and my recall of it is rather accurate and spooky (including my thoughts while I was sitting at that table).

On the occasions when folks were coming to our house for Thanksgiving, I have my worst memories.  Most are memories of being yelled at to "stay out of the way" and then being yelled at to "come in here and give me a hand", then "go outside and leave me alone", to "make yourself useful and set up chairs" and "set these tables".  I vividly recall that on several of these occasions, I was in my late teens, and I was having serious issues about being treated that way.  Of course, after the dinner was over and folks had departed, I'd be asked if I hadn't had a really good time, and I'd always say, "No!"  Then, I'd have a lecture on the obligations of family and the responsibilities of being a good host and "you'll learn if it doesn't kill you first."

Sigh.

Thanks SO MUCH, BK, for allowing me to dredge up THOSE memories.

My family has continued Thanksgiving get-togethers in all the intervening years, of course, and they are much better coordinated/organized and much less a strain on any individual.  

Since getting out of the Navy, though, I haven't missed a Christmas back home and the Thanksgiving ritual is repeated, food groups and all, on Christmas in my mother's house.  And it's a whole lot more fun now (-- NOW that I haven't been killed by the personal experience of it all).  I look forward to Christmas, too.

I consider the Thanksgiving a dry run toward getting Christmas dinner exactly right!  I will be calling my home in the next couple of hours to chat with folks not too seriously turkey-impaired.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 11:03:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Andrea

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2003, 10:54:13 AM »

And please, one of the bounty of beautiful bubbly haremettes go tell Mr. Mark Bakalor to respond.  Tell him I've taken back all my snarky comments and tell him it is snarky to ignore e-mails.  Tell him on a Thursday, please.

Your wish is my command... but his msn says he is away... so anything is anyone's guess!

Back to iser... I have ten pages of bad writing that needs to be editing down to 5.. oops.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2003, 10:54:51 AM »

Turkey's in the oven
and the vegetables are comin' along fine.

Can any DR tell me what song in what musical those lines are from?

I believe it's from Peace by Al Carmines.

What do I win?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2003, 10:55:47 AM »

I see our President took a short (and top-secret) jaunt over to Baghdad (oh, a Kismet reference) for his Thanksgiving dinner.

Jay

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2003, 10:58:53 AM »

I have been reminded this morning that the three-hour telecast of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is comprised of one hour of parade and Broadway show excerpts and two hours of commercials.  Yecch.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2003, 11:02:05 AM »

I am watching the Dinner For Five Marathon on IFC.  I think Mr BK should be a guest on this show.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2003, 11:03:18 AM »

Guess who I am?  Thankful for having him around

Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2003, 11:16:37 AM »

Happy Turkey Day, everyone!

I actually think I enjoy this holiday more than Christmas...less expectations, less pressure, and more laid-back.  We always seem to have good Thanksgivings...whether we're the ones having the local orphans in or being the orphans and going to someone else's house (Orphans being those various show-biz friends who have no immediate family in town to celebrate with).  In fact, celebrating with friends is guaranteed more fun than celebrating with family. We always feast royally, have great conversations, lots of laughs, play board or parlour games.

This year, however, the two of us are celebrating together alone.  It was intended that way.  We wanted some down time before the explosion of holiday parties and obligations.  Our own holiday party is only a few weeks away, so today we will be decorating our wrought-iron Christmas tree (already up with a Fall motif...we went wrought-iron to spare us the annual ritual of the tree-stand argument..."it's not straight yet" and falling pine needles.  We love it-- tree as Art).  

We are also having a non-traditional meal.  I'm having wienerschnitzel, hot slaw, spaetzel...all very Germanic and delicious.  Later we will go out to a movie...one of those award contenders that I can get in to see free on my WGA card (since I'm not getting any screeners, Jack Valenti!)  When it's just us, we often eschew the traditional...one dieting year I had a craving for pizza!

Several outstanding Thanksgivings come to mind, however.  

One from back in college when we had to rehearse a play on Thanksgiving Day, THE NIGHT THOREAU SPENT IN JAIL opening the following week.  So the cast and crew all had Thanksgiving together.  We went out and got a stud turkey to serve a legion of hungry theatre folk (and we all know how actors eat), cooked it, had delicious side dishes, and a grand old time.

In the mid-nineties I was invited to the Kentucky Book Fair in Frankfort, Ky. to sign my novel of DRAGONHEART.  This is a book-signing affair where ky. authors all come to sign their latest books.  I sat next to my oldest and dearest friend from High School, Gerry Toner, who is a lawyer and an author of three books of wonderful Christmas stories (Amazon.com).  Thanksgiving day was spent with our oldest and dearest friends from our college days in one of their houses...a beautiful log cabin out in farm country outside Lexington.  Snow on the ground.  Lots of laughs.

Probably the most memorable Thanksgiving was in 2001.  We were in the doldrums of 9/11, a month later, our golden beauty, Humbug, a cocker foundling we had saved from death nine years before, passed away suddenly from a blood disease.  We were miserable.  Then Virgin Airways came up with an interesting offer...Premimun Economy tickets (their business class) for an Economy price.  I told the lovely wife, Julieanne, "Terrorists be damned, how'd you like to spend Thanksgiving in London."  She liked.  We went...even though we had already our annual pilgrimage back in January.  On our flight over we got upgraded to first.  Seats that reclined into beds!  Julieanne had a massage by their on-board masseuse!

I also had a mission...on this trip I would surpass having seen one hundred plays in London.  And we saw some doozies:  Private Lives with Alan Rickman and Lindsay Duncan; The Royal Family with Judi Dench; Humble Boy with Diana Rigg, Denis Quilley, and maybe the best actor working in London today, Simon Russell Beale; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Ned Beatty as a brilliant Big Daddy and Brendan Fraser as Brick; Homecoming with Ian Holm; Joe Egg with Clive Owen and Victoria Hamilton; The Play What I Wrote, and several others, about 11-12 plays.  I saw my hundredth with a revival of the very first play I saw in London...Noises Off.  We had a wonderful and less than traditional Thanksgiving meal...Julieanne had caviar and her usual array of odd delicacies; I had Indian which I adore...all washed down with copious amounts of champagne.  I don't remember the specific play we saw that night, but I'm sure it was good.  It was a totally satisfying Thanksgiving.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2003, 11:19:53 AM »

Well, keep at it bevy of bountiful brilliant haremettes - one of you rouse him and tell the sultan to ease on down to the palace (it's on Broadway, next to the Doubletree) or the vizier will be turning snarky.

Michael

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2003, 11:30:24 AM »

The Missing sounds like a rehash of The Searchers. Why tinker with perfection?
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2003, 11:50:16 AM »

Hey Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Sorry this is my first post. It took me a long time to catch up on posts (and notes).

Btw, I saw some of the Macy's parade. I must say I hate lip-synching.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2003, 11:52:33 AM »

Dear Readers, and esteemed & non-snarky BK --

DR Kerry & Sugar and I are just about to set off for some good eats with the family.  We will be back later this evening, so hold the fort, feel your oats, and I send you all a warm hand on your opening.   ;)

See you all later.

8)

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2003, 11:53:34 AM »

DR Michael Shayne --

I'm dying to know who the picture is.....the cute little tyke in some kind of a "Jugglers Convention" shirt???

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2003, 11:57:01 AM »

I believe the picture is the famous Mr Mark Bakalor!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up