Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: TURKEY LURKEY TIME  (Read 21056 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:TURKEY LURKEY TIME
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2003, 05:18:15 PM »

Mr Mark Bakalor is upset?  :-\

I am now watching OKLAHOMA! on PBS.  Oh my it is pretty and the singing is good - but Aunt Eller sucks!  And Laurie in pants?  And what's with that ice cream maker doubling as a butter churn.  And why does everyone think that an Oklahoma accent is the same as an Arkansas accent?

Urgh!  Watching mostly for the choreography, so after "The Farmer and the Cowman" I can make a graceful exit!

Turkey and noodles delicious!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2003, 05:19:11 PM »

I'm about to go off to have dinner.  When I come back I hope we've had some guest posts and I hope we've had some food reports and such.  I was very concerned we'd hit a new low today but I'm happy to say that unless everyone drops off the face of the earth like Mr. Mark Bakalor, then we should be fine.

François

« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2003, 05:19:18 PM »

DR Ron,

Anybody anywhere in the world can order from all the Amazon.com... and yes; UPS or FEDEX -- which is VERY expensive -- would deliver anywhere as well... or so do I believe! Well, I'm quite sure... Except maybe "touchy" places like Iraq right now....

Food?

Well, for lunch I had some chicken with purée de pommes de terre... and I'm going to have -- it's 2:15 am -- some pork "prepared" by Paul Bocuse!

Dandy dish, hey, and NOT dindy dish (turkey being "dinde" in French!

Jennifer

« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2003, 05:20:52 PM »

Ron - if we bought the cd from amazon.com it will cost us $25.50 CDN including shipping and handling (international rates apply)

If we buy it from amazon.ca it will cost $22 CDN including shipping and handling and with our handy dandy discount.

Without the discount it would be better for us to use amazon.com.  It would mean being less patriotic though :)

Jennifer: I didn't know about that visa code.  Thanks for the info :D  

But don't you have free shipping from amazon.ca? (since I know you'll be ordering $39Cdn, right?) :)

Plus our $5 off coupon. Now if only we could use both coupons together. Try it! (yeah i found the visa code with my visa bill, but it may only work in december?)

Wow, I just checked amazon.com and it is $6 US to ship one cd.

Jennifer

« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2003, 05:24:45 PM »

DR Emily: I think amazon.ca went on a binge, cause they also added the new Little Shop of Horrors cd.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2003, 05:50:36 PM »

Miss Juliana Hansen on onstage right now!!!!

François

« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2003, 05:55:07 PM »

Wanted to share this with you!

Christopher Reeve appeared before a New York audience and pointed out what he was missing: the ventilator he has used since the horseback riding accident in 1995 that left him paralyzed. "To breathe normally, to be able to smell! Anything that makes you feel more normal is psychologically so important," Reeve told the crowd at the annual benefit for his Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation. In February, Reeve became the third person in the United States to undergo a surgical procedure called diaphragm pacing, which involves threading tiny wires through the diaphragm and connecting electrodes to a control box outside the body that allows him to breathe without a ventilator for hours at a time.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/Entertainment/Christopher_Reeve_031114-1.html

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #127 on: November 27, 2003, 05:56:52 PM »

Dinner was fine indeed.  Nobody could get up from the table.  My apple pie went over well.  I achieved the desired lightness with the crust, which I make without shortening.  Dried fruits seemed to be part of everything: dates in the goat cheese salad, something - perhaps a prune - in the stuffing, and, best of all, apricots in the cranberry sauce.  I liked that sauce a lot and also the tasty bacon wrapped around the green beans.  That was the fanciest thing.

Then - and nobody's explained to me why - we started a bonfire.  DW Joy led the construction, and we got a lot burned before it started to drizzle.  It's still burning now, and everyone's out there watching it.  But I thought I'd get out of the rain, as it didn't mix with torpor.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: November 27, 2003, 06:00:05 PM »

Do all the PBS stations use these generic hosts?  I know WFYI here used to use local people on air and on the phones, but for the last couple of years, the hosts have NEVER mentioned the station by call letters, the logo and numbers were on the bottom of the screen, but they seemed to be national hosts....lady with short blonde hair...and some guy named Tom.  And Mary Rodgers - I know she isn't in INDY.

No I will not give to PBS because of the way they do their fund raising.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2003, 06:15:59 PM »

The cookie weekend is coming along just fine!  We need more cookie sheets, though.  And I need to figure out how to adjust the Oatmeal Cookie recipe for a chewier cookie; the recipe I tried came out too crispy/crunchy.  Working out timing differences between regular and convection ovens is going to be a hoot, too.  The mixer is a blast to work with, however.

On to some other kind of cookie.  I made up some colored sugar for decorating sugar cookies, so perhaps some of those.  Or Toll House.  I love Toll House.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #130 on: November 27, 2003, 06:25:02 PM »

Noel---
You are right... no prize.   I just wanted to see if anyone else was familiar with the music of Al Carmines.  You got the show (PEACE) right and Carmines was the composer.  Tim Reynolds was the lyricist and the song was "You've Got Yourself A Hunk Of Woman".

JRand --- I haven't watched OKLAHOMA! yet (I hope to get to it this weekend) but I was surprised by your comment on Aunt Eller.  You may be totally right but she is Maureen Lippman, a big star in English musicals who played Ruth in the original British Cast of WONDERFUL TOWN and I would not have expected her to be that bad.  Maybe she didn't age gracefully.

The guests have gone.  It's cleanup time.  I'll report more tomorrow.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2003, 06:49:41 PM »

WEL - her accent bugs me....and her line readings are off....and she isn't funny....but other than that she's okay.  I haven't gotten to THE FARMER AND THE COWMAN yet, so she may redeem herself.  But that's just my opinion...and Charlotte Greenwood was so good, hard to get her out of my head....

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2003, 07:13:09 PM »

A Gracious Good Evening ( a Lily Tomlin reference),

DR Kerry and I & Sugar are back from the family dinner, and the food was yummy.  His younger sister is a very good cook.  My green beans turned out very well also, and there was a very respectable home-made pumpkin pie at the end.

Sugar was well behaved, and we all had a pretty relaxed time.  I hope all the DRs had a lovely day, and that our esteemed, fearless, lithe, and guapo BK has sated his gaping maw with a plethora of exotic edibles.

Hey BK....watch the mail, my little sparkling violet.....that's all I can say.  Just watch the mail....... :o

Andrea

« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2003, 07:31:21 PM »

Well... thanksgiving dinner was interesting...

Please send bad vibes to CYGOPP-- he was being stupid tonight and I AM NOT VERY PLEASED!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2003, 07:31:45 PM »

Dear Reader Tom from Oz:

I got to listen to one of the June Bronhill recordings today.  (The one with the assorted selections on it.)  Nice voice and well selected material.  She has just the right sound for operetta and Gilbert & Sullivan and music of that ilk.  Somewhat Jeanette McDonald-ish, only warmer.  Wonderful diction and agility.  Thank you again for your kind generosity!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Emily

« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2003, 07:34:14 PM »

Bad vibes to CYGOPP!

Bad bad bad "this is my hot, female best friend who I am now going to spend the whole evening goggling over and let her wrap her legs around me in a very flirtatious manner while my martyred and ignored girlfriend who I know does not like my hot, female best friend looks on" vibes to CYGOPP!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````

(those are bad vibes in case anyone was wondering)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 07:34:43 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2003, 07:36:45 PM »

Dear Reader Andrea:

Sorry to hear that the pretty young man was a source of consternation for you tonight.

Does this mean the "G" will have to be traded out for a different letter?  Perhaps "O" for "oaf?" "L" for "lout?"  Or perhaps "B" for "boor?"

Andrea

« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2003, 07:38:13 PM »

Bad vibes to CYGOPP!

Bad bad bad "this is my hot, female best friend who I

You forgot to mention skinny.... she's def. skinny
Oh and the wrapping over the legs occured last time when she interrupted our date.

Andrea

« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2003, 07:39:48 PM »

Dear Reader Andrea:

Does this mean the "G" will have to be traded out for a different letter?  Perhaps "O" for "oaf?" "L" for "lout?"  Or perhaps "B" for "boor?"

Or A for.....

François

« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2003, 07:41:36 PM »

Some of you might remember that column by Art Buchwald! :D

It's new to me and I got quite a kick out of it ;D

WARNING :-\  LONG TEXT!

[   In 1953, during my tour of duty with the French Foreign Legion in the Sahara, my tough sergeant from Marseilles said to me, "Why do all the American recruits refuse to eat anything but turkey on this day?"

I told him I was sorry but my lips were sealed. He then poured honey on my head so the ants would get me. That's when I broke down and talked.]

One of the most important holidays is Thanksgiving Day, known in France as le Jour de Merci Donnant.

Le Jour de Merci Donnant was first started by a group of pilgrims (Pelerins) who fled from l'Angleterre before the McCarran Act to found a colony in the New World (le Nouveau Monde), where they could shoot Indians (les Peaux-Rouges) and eat turkey (dinde) to their hearts' content.

They landed at a place called Plymouth (now a famous voiture Americaine) in a wooden sailing ship named the Mayflower, or Fleur de Mai, in 1620. But while the Pelerins were killing the dindes, the Peaux-Rouges were killing the Pelerins, and there were several hard winters ahead for both of them. The only way the Peaux-Rouges helped the Pelerins was when they taught them how to grow corn (mais). They did this because they liked corn with their Pelerins.

In 1623, after another harsh year, the Pelerins' crops were so good they decided to have a celebration and because more mais was raised by the Pelerins than Pelerins were killed by the Peaux-Rouges.

Every year on le Jour de Merci Donnant, parents tell their children an amusing story about the first celebration.

It concerns a brave capitaine named Miles Standish (known in France as Kilometres Deboutish) and a shy young lieutenant named Jean Alden. Both of them were in love with a flower of Plymouth called Priscilla Mullens (no translation). The vieux capitaine said to the jeune lieutenant:

"Go to the damsel Priscilla (Allez très vite chez Priscilla), the loveliest maiden of Plymouth (la plus jolie demoiselle de Plymouth). Say that a blunt old captain, a man not of words but of action (un vieux Fanfan la Tulipe), offers his hand and his heart -- the hand and heart of a soldier. Not in these words, you understand, but this, in short, is my meaning.

"I am a maker of war (Je suis un fabricant de la guerre) and not a maker of phrases. You, bred as a scholar (Vous, qui êtes pain comme un etudiant), can say it in elegant language, such as you read in your books of the pleadings and wooings of lovers, such as you think best suited to win the heart of the maiden."

Although Jean was fit to be tied (convenable à être emballé), friendship prevailed over love and went to his duty. But instead of using elegant language, he blurted out his mission. Priscilla was muted with amazement and sorrow (rendue muette par l'étonnement et la tristesse).

At length she exclaimed, breaking the ominous silence, "If the great captain of Plymouth is so very eager to wed me, why does he not come himself and take the trouble to woo me?" ("Où est-il, le vieux Kilometres? Pourquoi ne vient-il pas auprès de moi pour tenter sa chance?")

Jean said that Kilometres Deboutish was very busy and didn't have time for such things. He staggered on, telling her what a wonderful husband Kilometres would make. Finally, Priscilla arched her eyebrows and said in a tremulous voice, "Why don't you speak for yourself, Jean?" ("Chacun à son gout.")

And so, on the fourth Thursday in November, American families sit down at a large table brimming with tasty dishes, and for the only time during the year eat better than the French do.

No one can deny that le Jour de Merci Donnant is a grand fe^te, and no matter how well fed American families are, they never forget to give thanks to Kilometres Deboutish, who made this great day possible.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2003, 07:42:51 PM »

What a day this has been... and, no, I haven't spent it in the highlands of Scotland  ;)

After sleeping in until noon, I helped my sister-in-law prep her candied sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes - ONE WHOLE STICK OF BUTTER!  I read through some of the newspapers from the past days - just needed to catch up on some things - then took a nap.

My cute-as-a-button nephew woke me up a little bit later, and I showed him some of the new Christmas ornaments I had bought the other day.  He was very impressed, and, of course, asked which ones he could have.  -We're still bargaining.  I then nibbled on some cookies and such... then took a nap.

Then I heard my c-a-a-b nephew call, "Uncle Jojo!  It's time to eat!" from downstairs, so I got up, and headed downstairs.  Nice spread on the table.  Turkey (deep-fried using one of Emeril Lagasse's recipes), Ham (spiral cut), Mashed Potatoes, Candied Sweet Potatoes, Gravy and my mom's Cranberry-Orange relish.  Now, the cranberry-orange relish has always been a favorite of mine.  Not too sweet, not too sour, not at all puckery.  And I usually eat the leftovers plain, sooo good.  I think my mom found the recipe in an issue of Better Homes and Gardens back in the mid-70s.  It's actually been the one constant at all the holiday meals since then.

-Of course, since this was a family gathering, my mom wanted pics... Needless to say, since this was a day off for me, I was just in my "house clothes" - shorts, t-shirt and a sweat shirt.  And with about a four day growth of "scruff" on my face.  After the first set of pics, I took over the camera - a good thing.

Well, after dinner, I took a nap.

-Do you see a pattern here?

Part of my nap-iness to day is that I'm still dealing with this sinus stuff, and part of it is is that I just wanted to rest today, so resting I am doing.  I don't think I'll be heading to Tower tonight, although, I may just shop on-line - which is usually better since I find more sales on-line, and I don't have to pay tax - and usually no shipping either.

OK - time to browse away... and I promised my nephew that we would "open" one of the Christmas ornaments.  It's kind of like those grow your own crystal science experiment kits.  But they come in the shape of a snowman and a Christmas tree.  We'll be pouring the "magic water" into the base dish in a little bit... and by morning, we should have a nice little holiday display...

Off to nap-land... maybe...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2003, 07:44:37 PM »

Hi all
Happy Thanksgiving.
For the first time that I can remember, I did not have a thanksgiving feast on thanksgiving.  Since it was just me and my folks, we decided to go out...only to discover that every restaraunt in town is closed.  So we went home for a quick meal of chicken and rice.  Simple, but did the job.

Emily

« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2003, 07:44:37 PM »

François - that was hilarious!

I especially loved "kilometres deboutish"! :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2003, 07:44:50 PM »

"A" and "P" are good letters, too, but this is a family site.

Jay

« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2003, 07:47:19 PM »

Sorry.  You beat me to the punch with the "A."

Emily

« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2003, 07:47:33 PM »

I think that CYGOPP deserves a nice "F" and then an appropriately placed "O"

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2003, 07:49:45 PM »

DR JRand, I have to disagree about Maureen Lipman. I thought she and Hugh Jackman and Shuler Hensley were the three strongest members of the cast. But to each his own.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Andrea

« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2003, 07:55:29 PM »

Sorry.  You beat me to the punch with the "A."

I think I need to learn some good yiddish swear words.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2003, 08:35:12 PM »

I had no problem with Maureen Lippman in the part of Aunt Eller.

Jay

« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2003, 08:55:56 PM »

Momzer = the coarse word that means "illegitimate child"
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 08:57:04 PM by Jay »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up