Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DENSITY OF THE INTENSITY  (Read 26787 times)

FJL

Re:THE DENSITY OF THE INTENSITY
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2006, 07:17:12 AM »

Question for Ask Bk Day -

Is "waiver" theater in L.A. (or anywhere else for that matter) different from the "Equity showcase" code in New York?  

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2006, 07:22:43 AM »

What does "waiver" theatre mean?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

FJL

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2006, 07:32:01 AM »

vixmom - BK mentioned in the notes that certain things would happen in "waiver theater" that might not happen in other situations.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2006, 07:36:55 AM »

Good morning!

We've got a bright, beautiful day lined up here today. Blue skies with clouds and temps in the upper 50s. Perfect January day! The temps will be falling later in the week according to the forecast in the newspaper.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2006, 07:39:45 AM »

I know precisely what I'm watching at some point today: THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN. A new two disc DVD package is being released next week, and the quality is supposed to be miles ahead of the 2002 DVD I have. I'll watch it today to see how it looks because I don't remember thinking it looked bad or artifact-ridden the last time I watched it.

I love the movie, but unless it looks bad on the larger TV I have now, I won't be double dipping on this one (just like I didn't for THE SOUND OF MUSIC.)

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2006, 07:41:35 AM »

And I'll have plenty of time to watch DVDs tonight since the Rose Bowl on ABC will cause the other networks to air reruns. It should be a good game since the teams are both undefeated and are playing for the national championship, but I'm just not at all interested in college football.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2006, 07:42:43 AM »

I finally got my hands on used boxed sets of CSI - Season 5 and CSI: MIAMI - Season 3. So I have A LOT of CSI to watch over the next month or so.

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2006, 07:50:33 AM »

Well, I took my own advice and came home. The cats were very glad to see me. I am going to go to sleep.  Hopefully I can sleep off whatever it is that is causing cold like symptoms and making my entire body ache.   I had written it off to stress, but I'm beginning to think I may actually be ill.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2006, 08:07:40 AM »

Sorry to hear of your symptoms, DR Cillaliz. Feel better!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2006, 08:07:53 AM »

Good Morning!

Eating my cereal, yep, that's what I'm doin'.

(Heck, at least it's a post.)  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2006, 08:08:41 AM »

Feel Better Vibes to DR vixmom and Cillaliz.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2006, 08:11:06 AM »

Instead of applause, the audience stands up and raises their hands in the air, then sits down again.  They usually do this starting from the right hand side of the auditorium, and heading left, but on occasion they do it from left to right.  It's particularly spectacular when it happend at theater in the round.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2006, 08:13:22 AM »

Well, time for me to make a few phone calls, make a run to the post office, get my hair cut, etc., etc., etc...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2006, 08:18:33 AM »

Feeling better vibes to DRs CILLALIZ & VIXMOM.

Congrats on the skinny jeans, DRJOSE!  Losing weight is like getting a whole new wardrobe!  You will certainly make a splash at SPLASH.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2006, 08:18:57 AM »

We used to have a wastral, but now we have a trash compactor.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2006, 08:20:01 AM »

Set not dressed....important component missing until Thursday....my guess is that NONE of the people responsible for getting these things to the theatre are actors.  I think EVERYONE should act in a play so they understand exactly WHAT it means to have and to have not!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2006, 08:20:12 AM »

Der Brucer and I were both busy yesterday.  I had a long day at work, and he had Grampa-ing.

Today should be long, too.  Sure, I've got the day off, but (as usual) I'm booked.  Since we're taking the grandlads to Philadelphia on Saturday to see The Dinosaur Musical,  :D (and their parents, too  :P), der B decided we should head up ourselves today, as a test-run.  Better to be prepared than having Mommy screaming - oh, wait, she'll be doing that regardless.

So, esteemed BK, what are your favorite restaurants in Philadelphia?

And did you ever figure out how to properly eat a Philly Cheese Steak?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2006, 08:22:16 AM »

ASK BK DAY!!

I was watching a musical yesterday.  And in the final credits was the title Music Editor, and there were two of them.  Now....does a Music Editor edit the actual musical score after the picture is done OR does the Music Editor choose from the pages of the score what music will be used.....or does he SPOT the music in the movie!

What does a music editor do?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2006, 08:25:59 AM »

The tv was still on when I was stirring around 4am and I heard them saying they had a miscommunication.

What on earth were you cooking?

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2006, 08:26:42 AM »

Ron seems up rather early.  I hope he is not having health issues.  

Don't get me started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2006, 08:37:43 AM »

Actually, vixmom, I was fine.  

It was Monday that some health issues arose.  I've been sussing through my activities of that day and I think I've discovered what happened.

Let's just say that I had some breathing problems that scared the hell out of me.  Nothing I did seemed to help -- my inhaler didn't open the bronchial tubes.  I was breathing but NOT breathing.

I was about ready to drive myself to the emergency room, and then I thought I'd rather not drive but call 9-1-1.  I did neither.

I did two things that relieved the problem.  I used a Vick's "Vapor Shot" tablet in hot water to see if that would bring some relief...and it did.  And I stood outside on my balcony for about 15 minutes to get fresh air.  I was soon breathing fine.

This was an evening attack.  I had experienced a lesser attack earlier in the day.  And I also had an attack to come around 4 a.m. yesterday, which I managed to nip in the bud...and I did it with steam from a kettle.

Bottom line:  I have a stackable washer/dryer in my bathroom (next to my bedroom).  The wall separating that unit from my bedroom has a very light water stain on it that I'm told is the result of condensation from whenever the dryer causes the wall to sweat.  At the ceiling, part of the textured material has bubbled and broken open (my landlady will have to repair this after I move out).  Some of it fell on my dresser.  I, seeing this on Monday morning, cleared off my dresser top to dust and get rid of the powdery substance.  I touched it, and I swept it off with a Swiffer.  It was shortly afterward that I had my first attack.  Prior to my second, more severe attack, I was in my bedroom and doing some things around the dresser.  I recall dropping something and then picking it up.  

I think that the "dust" is the culprit...it may even have spores in it (since something caused it to bubble and break off the ceiling).  

I am being extremely cautious now.  I'm toying with dealing with it myself, but I may need to hire someone to test it and ensure I'm not risking my health in any major way.

Another thing I did last night was to buy a humidifier.  I set it up by my bed, and it worked wonderfully well.  I went to bed early, but I woke up a little after 2 a.m. for a nature call.  I checked on the humidifier which was pumping out warm mist like a champ.  While I was up, I remembered I had wanted to check my PC for something but forgot to do so before going to bed.  So...I logged on...took care of business...and came here for a minute.

So....my health is fine for the moment, but there's something evil lurking in my condo.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 08:50:59 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2006, 08:38:03 AM »

Set not dressed....important component missing until Thursday....my guess is that NONE of the people responsible for getting these things to the theatre are actors.  I think EVERYONE should act in a play so they understand exactly WHAT it means to have and to have not!

I think the opposite is also true--actors should have an opportunity to run lights, sound, build sets, and do props.  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 08:44:12 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2006, 08:43:53 AM »

Last month I mentioned those Shower Smoother tabs that are supposed to clear up nasal congestion.  I did finally get around to using one and it did absolutely nothing for me.  I got a bit of a whiff of the effervescent fumes but that was about it.  I think it would have been effective only if I had gotten down on all fours in the shower and put my face right up to the fizzing tablet.  Not a worthwhile product, as far as I'm concerned.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2006, 08:45:20 AM »

I need to get up from here and be productive.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2006, 08:46:22 AM »

When I was on Navy carriers, I could always tell when the heads were backing up.

Folks walking out of the head left little wastrels in their wake.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2006, 08:48:26 AM »

Last month I mentioned those Shower Smoother tabs that are supposed to clear up nasal congestion.  I did finally get around to using one and it did absolutely nothing for me.  I got a bit of a whiff of the effervescent fumes but that was about it.  I think it would have been effective only if I had gotten down on all fours in the shower and put my face right up to the fizzing tablet.  Not a worthwhile product, as far as I'm concerned.

Absolutely correct.  "Shower Soother" is a nice idea...but one tablet does nothing.

Been there, done that.  Over it.

On the other hand, I can recommend Vick's "Vapor Shot" to all and sundry as a wonderful aid for congestion.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2006, 08:50:14 AM »

Old TV show of note: That Wastrel Week That Was.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2006, 09:06:09 AM »

I Googled this and found part of a discussion.  Someone named Brian Lemming added this:

" Here in L.A. we call it 'Equity Waiver' theater. The union Actors Equity allows its members to participate in plays in 99-seat theaters for token payments--gas money, basically, for each performance.

"This system has resulted in a hell of a lot of great theater. (And a play I co-wrote, 'Bat Boy: The Musical', came out of this system--and resulted in high-paying New York performances for two Equity members of the original cast.)

"The Equity Waiver system has also created many more opportunities for actors to practice their craft in front of audiences than would otherwise have existed. It's a great system--and it would be a great disservice to their members if Actors Equity were not to have it. It's good for everybody--playwrights, directors, theaters, audiences."
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 09:07:05 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2006, 09:08:11 AM »

I think the opposite is also true--actors should have an opportunity to run lights, sound, build sets, and do props.  

Yes....yes.  It certainly works both ways.  I always tell actors in a show I direct that I will certainly listen to their suggestions IF I have to, but to please consider that I MIGHT know what I am doing AND that I have already considered the idea that they have and rejected it for one reason or another.

IF an actor is persistent in giving advice, notes, or suggestions, I tell them that when they direct their show, they can do it that way, but that I am directing this production and have decided how it is going to be.  I also let people know that there is such a thing as an UNASKED question or unexpressed thought.  :P

AND I am some people's favorite director.  LOL.   ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2006, 09:09:20 AM »

Today is the birthday of Louis Braille.  And in his honor, Google did this:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up