News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: RANT  (Read 28052 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
RANT
« on: January 06, 2006, 01:33:40 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've heard the rant, the rant has heard you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're in Pomona, ranting.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 12:29:16 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:RANT
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 01:33:58 AM »

And the word of the day is:  BALDERDASH!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 02:04:38 AM »

In my CD player:  songs that I downloaded from iTunes:  the six songs written and performed by Nellie McKay for the soundtrack to "Rumor Has It," which is not available in CD form...only by download.  

I also downloaded from iTunes three Sondheim songs by Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley on their "Opposite You" CD, but they're part of a five-song medley!  I have to download the other two to get the whole thing because one song is the first song in the medley and doesn't end properly, the second song that I downloaded is the middle song of the medley and doesn't begin or end and the last song is the last song and doesn't begin!  It's Sondheim, so I don't mind too much, but it would've been nice if iTunes could've indicated that it's a medley. :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 02:06:36 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 02:56:06 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 03:00:46 AM »

DVD: 'I "heart" Huckabees '-  mmmmmmmmmm?

CD: "Blue Moves" -  Elton John.
        "Gold" - The Carpenters.

Vinyl: "The Ballad Of Lionel Rose" - Rim D Paul.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 03:10:57 AM »

Good morning, all!  And a special good morning to you, DR Tomovoz!  How can we survive for 10 days without you?  DRBen's absence was bad enough!  I was E&T most of last evening and missed the new plateau.  I think HHW should treat it rather like ships crossing the equator and make a huge special event of it.  My court hearing went well (I think), and the trip to Broad Street wasn't so terrifying as I anticipated.

This morning I'm up quite early to finish things for my accountant, then a visit to the recording office for more Toyland work and, hopefully, the beginnning of THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER.  I need to hit the NYPL Theatre Collection today or tomorrow as well.

Wasn't there a famous "Concert for Balderdash"?

TOD:
  CD:  MRS HENDERSON PRESENTS, Bach Cello Suites (Yo-Yo-Ma) Victorian concert overtures
  DVD:  SWIMMING WITH SHARKS, KING KONG (still!)
  VCR:  Lowest of the Low
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 03:16:27 AM »

I gave you 5 weeks practice in 2004 DR Elmore!!
And is your new DVD player mulitzone?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 03:20:14 AM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 03:47:47 AM »

Up early again...but not for long.

I watched four (count 'em 4) DVDs yesterday -- "Fantastic Four", "Mr. and Mrs. Smith," "Lady Sings the Blues" and "The Emperor's New Groove."

I, too, have "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Petulia" (John Barry) and "The Glass Slipper" (Bronislau Kaper) in my CD player, along with Kaper's "Lili,"  Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On?" (2-CD edition) and Legrand's wondrous "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg."

Standing by are Leigh Harline's "Warlock" and John Williams' "Memoirs of a Geisha."

« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 03:49:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 03:53:17 AM »

FYI (especially the concerned vixmom): I've had no more repeat episodes like the ones I had Monday.  

I stayed home yesterday with a touch of some crud or other that made it prudent for me to stay close to home/bathroom.  Otherwise, I was fine.  I would not have been able to watch four (count 'em 4) movies on DVD had I not been feeling well.

I went to bed early last night and my eyes popped open at 3:15 a.m.  My throat was a bit dry, so I've been up since then doing little things that needed doing, including posting here.  

But the lids are heavy...and I need a few more hours sleep before leaving for work.

Ciao-ders...!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 04:07:08 AM »

I gave you 5 weeks practice in 2004 DR Elmore!!
And is your new DVD player mulitzone?

Yes, and the 5 weeks were hell!  Stop it.

No, the DVD player is not multizone; I had needed one badly since the other was so old mothing new was playing well on it.  I would like to purchase one that will play anything but not at the moment.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 04:45:28 AM »

According to the list at the top I'm the only one in the room

It's a day full of Broadway, Off-Broadway and London cast recordings, with one exception. I have The Fantasticks (Off-Broadway), Follies (OBC), A Grand Night for Singing (BKs CD), Halleluham, Baby (OBC), Little Me (OBC), Marry Me a Little (Off-Broadway), 110 in the Shade (OBC), Romance, Romance (OBC), Oh, Coward (OBC) and Cowardy Custard (via Tom of Oz and London). I also have Barbara Cook's latest CD, Tribute. It's the one CD that is not a cast recording.

Right now I'm listening to the soundtrack of Call Me Madam. I put it together myself from the DVD so it's got more tracks than the release I found last year. I prefer my version.

We have nothing planned for the VCR or DVD but who knows what may pop in to the machines.

We have to do laundry after work and then we are meeting a friend and we will have Chinese take-away (I've been Europeanized) for dinner.

I will probably watch something as I begin to get back into my exercise routine. I have not done anything since December 15th and I must, must, must begin again.

Didn't someone here (maybe it wasn't here) post a link a while ago about finding the right code to make any DVD player multi-zone? Apparently the code is set by the manufacturer but if you know the correct code and how to plug it in, you can change your DVD player from one zone to multi-zone. The sellers and manufacturers don't tell you that but I've heard it's possible. Am I just repeating some urban legend/conspiracy theory or is there something to this post?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 05:59:52 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 04:45:54 AM »

And according to the top, Mr. Moore is back!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 05:08:03 AM »

And according to the top, Mr. Moore is back!

I'm just in the way, as the French would say, le trop
But if, baby, I'm the bottom, you're the top!

Take it away, TCB!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 05:45:43 AM »

Yes, DRRODZINSKI, you could have had sex with Miss Barbara Payton, if you had $2....according to her rap sheet.

Hmmm....EBB TIDE....well it's not the BEST Frances Farmer film to see....I guess I would call it torpid.  But it IS in color.  JMK might have a better suggestion.  COME AND GET IT or SON OF FURY are a couple of choices.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 05:47:10 AM »

Hmmm....good morning everyone.

Well I am off to work this morning at the World of Wisdom Bookstore.  Hopefully everyone will keep to the schedule, and I will be home around four o'clock.  We shall see.

MR BK - continued vibes on DECEIT.....it sounds as if you are working with people who are doing your show as a sideline!  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 05:50:31 AM »

TOD:

DVD: The Hunters - fun war movie with Mitchum and Wagner, especially the jet plane scenes

CD: The Iron Giant - original soundtrack with some fun 50's tunes.

VCR:  Solomon and Sheba - whew Gina Lollabrigida, can't understand a word she's saying, but this is a BIG production.  Yul Brynner took over after Tyrone Power suffered a heart attack....  Sheba, I guess, is somewhere near Italy....and even the Pharaoh looks confused sometimes when Queenie is talking to him.  But she has a plan....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 05:50:51 AM »

Have a great Friday....see you later.

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 06:29:23 AM »

Friday greetings!  It's Epiphany, the 12th day of Christmas, and what that means in our household is that I'm now allowed to start taking down decorations.  You know what I'll be doing this weekend!

TOD:  CD(car) - original cast recording of Spamalot.  We listened to this in DH Richard's car on our family trip to Indianapolis several weeks ago and my guys were aghast when I said I'd never seen a Monty Python movie.  While DS Rob was home we watched both Holy Grail and Life of Brian, the dumbest things I'd ever seen.  I do like the Broadway album, though.  For my CD player at home, I have 4 recordings by Angela Gheorghiu.  I saw her on the PBS rebroadcast of the New York Philharmonic New Year's Eve concert and wanted to hear more.

DVD - Empire Falls

VCR - those same Marge & Gower Champion movies I've been trying to get to for weeks now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 06:37:44 AM »

DVD: Episode of the 1950s TV series BLONDIE. It is much funnier then I was expecting. Also, the Akira Kurosawa film SCANDAL.

VHS: I have several movies taped but don't know if I will get any of them watched this weekend, but if I do it will be the JRand55 recommended THE HUNTERS (see his post above).

CD: Some KAMUELA AND THE SOUTH SEA ISLANDERS and a little RICHARD HYMAN.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2006, 07:12:00 AM »

Forgot to post this earlier.

We had dinner w/a friend in from out of town. We went to a new Greek place on 46th and 8th Avenue. It's been many things but now it's a Greek place. A little pricey for what they have but it's midtown and you can't escape it.

Anyway, as we were eating in comes Shirley Knight and Kathleen Widdoes. I didn't recognize Ms. Widdoes until we were leaving since all I saw was the back of her head during dinner. Anthony was using the facilities and my friend, Dick and I were at the door waiting. Ms. Widdoes was walking out ahead of her friends and I stopped her and said how much I enjoyed her in After the Ball. She thanked me and said, "you know, we've made a little recording of the show" I said, "yes I know. I have the CD. I'm a friend of Bruce Kimmel's" She was very pleasant and thanked me again as she walked out the door. My friend, Dick, said "You're braver than me. I couldn't do that" Hmmm, I guess I'm a real New Yorker :-)

Listening to A Grand Night for Singing right now. Even though the show was not great shakes, I do like this CD. Thanks for recording it Bruce!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 07:31:09 AM »

Hello!  Its a busy day in the office today so I don;t know if I'll be around much.  Glad to see RLP back.  Last night I dreamed he was lying on the floor of his apartment gasping like a fish on dry land and I couldn't reach him.

I am very happy to know it was just a bad dream.

Have a nice day all!!  
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 07:36:18 AM »

Good morning!

Gorgeous day out, but cold and likely to remain so a few days. Not getting out of the 40s today. So, the leather jacket comes out of storage and onto my back.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 07:38:02 AM »

And speaking of back, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN has finally opened here, and I'm going to the first afternoon showing today unless I find it's a sellout. Will post thoughts later.

I think it goes without saying that this is the movie I've most anticipated this year after it opened at the Venice Film Festival and won the Golden Lion. If I don't get to see it today, I won't brave the crowds for the weekend. I'll see it Monday or Tuesday afternoon when folks are at work.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 07:40:48 AM »

And tonight is NBC's controversial THE BOOK OF DANIEL. A couple of NBC affiliates have already pulled the show and refuse to air it. I'm petrified our NBC station will do the same. There was a news story last night talking about the flood of e-mails the station has received protesting the show (before it's aired, of course!) So, I wait and hope. I may have to ask some kind DR to record the show for me if I find the station here cancels it.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 07:43:02 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD: DUBARRY WAS A LADY (soundtrack)

DVD: CSI: NY Season 1 - disc 6
         CSI: MIAMI - Season 3
         CINDERELLA MAN

DVR: last night's CSI
        THE GANG'S ALL HERE

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 07:52:56 AM »

I must get the rest of the day underway now and head for the showers.

WBBL.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 08:21:35 AM »

Oh, Bruce, ain't Showbiz grand! You rehearse and rehearse, and it couldn't be worse, then outa the hat - the big first night... But, sheesh, your "process" actor sounds like quite a trial. I have given up being a trial. Now it's the director's show, and I'm lucky to be there at all. Younger actors, overripe with "talent" or (Godfibbid) "genius" can lean away from any direction at all - it interferes with The Performance.

Speaking of lucky to be there at all... last week's audition in San Diego has not led, by now, to being cast in that particular show... but I did get a call from a friend of those producers, who needs An Older Actress for a short gig in Colorado in February. So I'll shlep down there again some time next week to talk to this dude. His friends recommended me so highly, blahblah.

Note to you kidz just starting out: sometimes They can't cast you in THAT show, but they can remember/recommend you for another gig. And - life is long. Try not to annoy the director - said director can opt NOT to hire you again... or WORSE, will tell others how difficult/annoying you are in production.
PennyO

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2006, 08:26:11 AM »

There is actually a lot on tv tonight (which rarely happens on a Friday).

We have a new Ghost Whisperer.  And Close to Home.  And the show that many of us seemed to like from Sunday, In Justice.

I will also tape/watch The Book of Daniel, although not sure it will be my cup of tea.

So did anyone else watch Dancing With the Stars?  I liked it.  I was most surprised by Jerry Rice and Tatum O'Neal. I was least impressed with Master P (although in fairness he only had one week).

I had to watch the first hour on tape (since i was watching my niece at the mall while her parents had a bank appointment).

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2006, 08:31:20 AM »

Speaking of watching the baby at the mall, it was quite interesting.  This is one of the only times i've been with her without her parents.  And since she's been sick lately, it's the only time recently she's been at the mall.

It was so cool watching her experience all the lights. I guess now that she is 3 1/2 months she can actually see the stuff around her.

She was so interested in everything. And we had a great time!

Cillaliz

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2006, 08:31:42 AM »

Well I'm home one more day and then hopefully I will be well ok at least better.   I went in to the office this morning and was there about an hour doing what absolutely had to be done and delegating other things to those who are well and have time to do them.  

Then everyone said "GO HOME!" Ok I can take a hint, already. I did stop at the grocery store.  I must be getting better because I am quite hungry!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up