Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NICE MAN COMETH  (Read 18538 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE NICE MAN COMETH
« on: January 07, 2006, 12:28:03 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've cometh to the notes, the notes have cometh to you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows cometh home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 12:38:10 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE NICE MAN COMETH
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 12:28:22 AM »

And the word of the day is: SURREPTITIOUS!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 12:45:45 AM »

The syrup Tish is pouring is 100% all-natural maple!

;)

Remember, no groaning allowed! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 12:53:20 AM »

After a not good year for a few reasons, I am in fact about to go on a sensible diet to prepare for the rigours of travel in September and to attempt to regain some physical well-being which has been absent for the past 8 months!

I have heard of people going on an eat nothing white diet.  My diet shall be of the non wacky kind! Some added exercise is also called for!  
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 04:11:12 AM »

DR. Vixmom asked if there were any tv series with a Rabbi and their family.

There was one.

Lannigan's Rabbi.
A detectiver series that was part of the NBC Mystery Movie franchise. It starred Art Carney and in the first episode Stuart Margolin played the rabbi and Bruce Soloman played the role in the remaining 4 episodes. The late Janet Margolin (no relation to stuart) played the rabbi's wife and Janis paige played Lannigan's wife.
The first episode was based on the book Friday the Rabbi Slept Late
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 04:11:48 AM »

Good morning!

The sun hasn't quite come up yet, but it looks to be a very clear, bright, but cold day.

A nightmare woke me up around 6, and I couldn't fall back asleep so I just got up, read the enwspaper, and now I'm here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 04:16:49 AM »

DR Vixmom, every awards organization has different ways of nominating potential winners for awards. Not every group does it the same way, and even the winners aren't determined the same way in every group. For example, once the Oscar nominations are made (by the individual segements of the academy - film editors nominate film editors, actors nominate actors, directors nominate directors),  then the entire Academy membership votes on the winners . The Emmys have "blue ribbon panels" that view every nominated show in a particular category and then vote for the winner.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 04:16:54 AM »

I dub thee Sir Reptitious!  Rise, sir knight!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 04:18:49 AM »

Dear DR Jose, if I get the chance I'll mention you to Donna!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 04:21:49 AM »

I don't know from diets.

I spent so much of my life string-bean thin that, after I finally gained some weight, I never thought of a need to lose any poundage.  I mean, I guess it was OK to have just 145 pounds stretched over a 6 foot 2 frame, but it was dang hard finding clothes that fit.  To be honest, it's still hard finding clothes that fit, but back then it was nearly impossible.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 04:22:31 AM »

Time to wake up der Brucer.  We've got to be out of the house in a half-hour if we're to keep to today's schedule.

Matt H.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 04:24:19 AM »

The very first time I ever realized I needed to diet, I was horror-stricken because I had always been one of those 98 pound weakling types who could eat anything and never gain a pound. As I moved through my 30s, I began picking up weight and didn't really notice. I had a partner who was an excellent cook, and he and I made big meals and over the years we were together (8), we both put on weight. But when you're happy and busy, you just don't pay them much attention when you gain a few pounds every year.

Anyway, when the first local production of A CHORUS LINE was announced for here, I was desperate to be in it, but I realized I'd never be able to dance that show weighing what I weighed and being as out of shape as I was, so I went on that Dexitrim diet. Those were the pills you could buy that would curb your appetite. Of course, I also had to change my eating habits and switch to diet drinks. People ahd told me that Dexitrim would make me too hyper to sleep, but that was never a problem, and I did lose the weight. Got down to 167, auditioned, and got the part of Greg in the show

Now, I find that a combination of exercise and not overeating at meals and staying away from sweets and snacks like potato chips except on rare occasions help me lose weight.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 04:29:34 AM »

I have no plans to leave the house today, so I should be able to get in some good video watching, especially since my morning started so early today.

I do want to see last night's IN JUSTICE that the DVR picked up, and there are several movies here that I'm anxious to sample. I also have some phone calls to make to friends which will occupy part of the afternoon, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 04:56:40 AM »

Off now to get some productive things done around the house.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 05:54:52 AM »

Good morning, all!  After two 5:30 am wakeup days, I slept in.  I watched THE BOOK OF DANIEL, which didn't grab me or repel me (hmmm) and went to bed.  Once again, however, the religious right prove themselves total morons in condemning a program with only peripheral knowledge of it (and our own DRMBarnum watches Bollywood based on the box cover!).

Today, a meeting at noon about the next NYCGMC concert; they want me to do a dance medley from Hollywood films and the meeting is with the choreographer, then a lot of work on a chart for Judy Kaye, and tonight goddaughter Charlotte and I see Ms Kaye in SOUVENIR, which closes tomorrow.

Last night DR MichaelShayne asked:

"Since I see dr elmoore on line I have a few questions for him.

Did you appear in the "documentary" about the recording of the recording?
Did you orchestrate Ron Raines' song Gigi on My Favorite  Broadway: The Love Songs.
Have your orchestrations ever appeared on Evening With Pops or any other program?"

1.  I was not in London for the recording of SHOWBOAT so I am not in the documentary; I was here running errands for the Maestro.  I was the one who went to the Secaucus warehouse, once ownership rights were cleared, to pick up the three pieces from SHOWBOAT that had only been discovered recently:  "The Box Office Scene," "Apache Dance," and "It's Getting Hotter in the North."

2.  No, I did not score "Gigi" for Ron;  I don't know who did, but I assume it's the same orchestration on his recording for JAY, where the tempo and performance are better.

3.  I've worked on three Evening at the Pops concerts:  Sarah Jessica Parker, Nathan Lane, and a holiday one in which Liz Callaway sang my chart for "A Place Called Home."

About the Grammys, I am a member of the NARAS and a Grammy voter.  I'm sure Dear Friend BK is as well, but I don't know if there are any other members on the site or not.

TOD:  Look at my photos:  you think I diet?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 06:33:32 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 06:12:23 AM »

Good vibes for MR BK's Triple Sec today.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 06:17:49 AM »

Mr BK - I found lots of good thunder here and used some of them for I'LL BE BACK BEFORE MIDNIGHT.  It says they are previews, but you can download and save the mp3's.   ;D

http://www.sounddogs.com/results.asp?Type=&CategoryID=1045&SubcategoryID=13

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 06:18:42 AM »

YAWN.

Getting ready for work.

DRJOSE - how can people be bored at a production of DAMN YANKEESS?  That is a good question....it's not the show - it's the people!

FJL

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 06:23:17 AM »

What's that old joke about the garlic diet?  You don't change anything you eat, just eat garlic with every meal.  You don't actually lose weight, but you look thinner from a distance.

My weight situation has been a matter of what Joan Rivers said:  "I got married and my body said Thank God!"  Or at least off by a few years, anyway.  For the first ten years of my adult life, I was obsessed with exercise and being at or near a perfect weight and build, but I was generally miserable about life in general.  Now, a decade and a half later, somewhere along the way I've become very content and happy as a human being, and concerned about my major weight gains only to the extent they'll create health problems, the effects of which I'm starting to feel.  But the long period of all that effort to look good was generally a terrible one, so maybe I associate the striving for physical "perfection" with some degree of restlessness and misery.  

There, that was cheaper than therapy!  :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 07:52:03 AM »

Misery.

That's the key word.

Misery is the surreptitious end-product of many religions.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 08:01:05 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 07:54:48 AM »

I'm up.

I went to bed early.

Exhausted.

Watched the first hour of "Book of Daniel"...not bad.  Has potential.  Certainly doesn't live up to the horrific fuss made over it by the clueless right.  

It certainly wasn't worth the withdrawal of freedom of speech by preempting it from airing, which would have allowed folks with brains to have decided for themselves whether or not they wanted to watch it.  I think NBC should cancel its contracts with the offending affiliates and offer affiliation to more intelligent, less-easily swayed-by-hysterical-fanatics independent channels in those areas.

Recorded all of "Book of Daniel," plus the two-hours Sci-Fi block of "Stargate, SG-1" and "Stargate: Atlantis."

I loves my Stargates, I do.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 07:59:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 07:59:53 AM »

I have a haircut appointment at 9 a.m., so I'd best shake a tail feather and start getting myself presentable for public display.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 08:13:23 AM »

Back on after doing some treadmill and other fairly light exercise. Always feel better about myself after I've done something, even if it's only 20 minutes' worth.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 08:15:34 AM »

My friend John called a bit ago to see if my late afternoon was free to help his nextdoor neighbor calibrate his new HDTV. Afterwards, John, his family, and I plan to go to dinner and then watch a movie in his home theater which I helped set-up. Always eager to see other folks' TVs and set-ups.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 08:17:54 AM »

All of a sudden, I'm all alone here. Yikes!

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »

Yes, the fundamentalists' outpouring of venom about THE BOOK OF DANIEL was similar to their outrage over THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST which I found to be very moving and VERY spiritual. A masterful story of temptation and faith's triumph over it.

Jesus' words in the show last night were so full of simple wisdom and love and concern. What's not to like? The fact that a priest has problems? Who doesn't? The Catholic priest in the show had Mafia connections? Comes with the territory in certain parts of the country (and besides, THE GODFATHER III got there first).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 08:30:40 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2006, 08:31:18 AM »

Now, off to go watch THE GANG'S ALL HERE.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 08:35:17 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well... I guess I'll workout between shows today.  Or not.  Hmm...

I slept in this morning.  More accurately, I let myself sleep a full eight hours.  Rest is good.  Sleep in good.  And since I was up late last night...

And even if I don't end up working out between shows, it'll be OK.  I'll be OK.  *If the weather was a bit warmer, I'd go for a run around the Tidal Basin - Arena Stage is just a stone's throw away from that area.  I'll be packing my running shoes and clothes to take to the theatre just in case.  -And I would really like to go for a run too, and it's been a while since I have.

Which leads to...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 09:06:17 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I've dealt with weight issues/problems since my pre-adolescence.  It was always sort of strange for me since my three younger brothers have never really been "fat".  (However, in retrospect, they were always more active - played team sports, etc., so...)  But I digress...

My mother is a registered dietitian, and, unfortunately, I have some rather unpleasant memories from my younger years of being 'reminded' how to eat and what to eat.  And since my father was in the Coast Guard, he would, from time to time, try to get me to exercise... Well, sometimes he would make me exercise.  -Sheesh, that sounds like I was abused - which I wasn't.  It was the age old situation of a parent trying to get their child to do something they did not want to do, something that was good for them.  I'm just saying that both my parents were concerned about my weight problems as I was growing up.

Of course, nothing compared to the pressure and various other assorted feelings I dealt with once I got into high school.  Kids can truly be very cruel at times.

Once I got into college, I was, more or less, happy with my weight, with my size.  Yes, there were many times when I tried to eat healthy food, tried to get in some exercise, but there were also times when that concern was just not a concern.

Fast forward a couple of years later when I'm in my late 20s and early 30s, well...  Let's just say that the gay culture can sometimes be crueler than kids.  So...

The only "name brand" diets/lifestyle plans that I've been on have been "Body For Life" and "Atkins".  BFL sort of worked for me, but I found planning the time to eat all those small meals throughout the day a major obstacle to sticking to the program, to it's success.  *I would really love to see a diet plan that is based on a different "clock" - one where one's day starts at 10:00am, and not 6:00am.  Atkins worked for me initially - I remember losing eight pounds in the first two weeks.  Eventually, that commitment slipped by the wayside, partly because I lost interest, and partly because I began to feel that the whole Atkins protein-heavy plan was not exactly right for me, not good for me.

I did try some of those diet pills a few times.  Bleh!  They did make me feel hyper, and I didn't like that constant feeling of always being "on".  It was just plain weird and unnatural.  So...

Last year, 2005, I made a conscious effort to get my life in order, get more things under control.  My body was one of those things.  There were various attempts throughout the year.  Small steps.  I had read various diet books and articles over the years, and just started taking the best things - the things I liked, the things that made sense to me - and letting those guide my daily habits.  Slowly but surely changing my mindset.  My priorities.  And then...

As I've been recounting here on HHW, I started a new "plan" the week of Thanksgiving.  So far, so good.  I had bought that "Slim in 6" series a couple of months back, and I started using it again.  And that's been the basis of my exercise routine.  The intermediate level is a 45 minute workout, and I used that for the first two weeks, and then advanced workout is just under an hour, and I've been using that since then.  Six days a week.  I chose the program since it focused on getting trimmer and not on bulking up.  Just getting more active, getting a good sweat in.

As for the eating portion of my plan, I've basically just been refraining from eating white sugar and white flour.  I haven't totally cut those things out, but I've been making a very conscious effort to keep those things off my dinner plate.  I also read Dr. Perricone's latest weight loss book which actually has one of the most sensible diets I've come across.  I think there's a bit too much emphasis on dietary supplements, but the part about getting more good fats and essential oils (mainly Omega-3s) back into one's diet really made sense to me.  More importantly, although, like in most diet plans, one can lose a "great" amount of weight in the first one or two weeks, after that the weight loss is very gradual, one to two pounds a week.  Which is a good thing.  The slower it comes off, the slower it is likely to come back on.  Not only is your metabolism up, but your mindset is also changed.  You're breaking old habits and developing new ones, better ones.

Presently, I'm not exactly sure just how much weight I've lost - and, frankly, after getting on the scale last week, and being disappointed with the numbers, well...  However, I'm over that.  I can definitely see a difference in my body.  I can tell that I've lost weight, and that I've also put on muscle.  -And other people are starting to see that difference too - which always helps!  I've lost a good inch - more like an inch and a half in my waist - and I can see that "V" starting to develop from my shoulders to my waist.

There was a little blurb on Men's Health about how for every pound of weight lost, you lose a 1/4 inch off your waist.  But you have to be careful where you place your tape measure since as you lose weight, your navel will start to shift "up".  And, lo and behold, mine has!

Well... This post is turning into a short story... And I do need to get ready to head in for the matinee...  So...

Have I said too much?....

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2006, 09:09:07 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  

The skies are blue and they're smilin' at me, nothin' but blue skies do I see.  I must shower and then head over to the El Portal for my thirteen hour day.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up