Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NICE MAN COMETH  (Read 18510 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE NICE MAN COMETH
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2006, 02:23:49 PM »

And one for Mahler! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2006, 02:27:12 PM »

Now I've got the song "Back To Before" from Ragtime going through my head. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2006, 02:44:50 PM »

I didn't know Janet Margolin was dead. :(

Tomovoz

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2006, 03:31:37 PM »

DR Michael S.  I shall be listening to Anna Russell on my long drive north this week.  Many thanks.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2006, 04:39:32 PM »

Killing two birds with one stone department:  Well, I wasn't still a total hippie (JR couldn't picture me as one a few weeks ago), but I wasn't quite the button-down man I was to become in a few years, and I think I still had a relative amount of buff-ness in this pic from probably the summer of 1985 taken in my backyard at the time with my Dad.  I planted all that corn, believe it or don't!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2006, 04:43:58 PM »

Proof positive for JR department  ;D:

Me circa 1978 or so when I was living in San Francisco.  Chicks really dug the hair, believe it or don't.   ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2006, 04:48:20 PM »

And yet, a mere two months later, I was a Master's student at ultra-tony Reed College here in Portland and had decided the preppie look suited me (I think this was the last time I shaved my beard, IIRC):

JMK

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2006, 04:49:19 PM »

And there you have 3 stages of JMK.  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2006, 05:33:41 PM »

OH!  And know it's too late for this right now, but before I forget again...

DR SWW - As for the mac 'n' cheese at the Hard Rock Cafe, it actually may be the Kraft stuff from a box.  My mom is in food service, and they do make those packets available for restaurant use.  They know how picky kids can get.  And, on a practical note, the "meal" can be prepared to order instead of sitting under a heat lamp or in a water bath to keep it warm for hours on end.
Ohhhh, don't get me started....

Which means, I'll get back on this one.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2006, 05:43:56 PM »

...Almost didn;t recognize John Barrowman with Blond Hair. He looked rather good as a blond. And it seemed he dyed all his hair blond....
Just what kind of costume was he wearing???   :o :o :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2006, 06:14:21 PM »

I HAVE HUMBUGS, MINT HUMBUGS FROM THRONTONS!!!   :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you DR Ben and DP Anthony.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2006, 06:16:25 PM »

Where to start...

Let's start with The Dinosaur Musical.

It's an original story, by the Reale brothers.  Willie writes the book and lyrics, Rob writes the music.  Basically, several years after a truce is made between carnivore and herbivore dinos in an effort to preserve both types of animals, a couple of Tyranosaurus Rexi (the plural, I hope) convince their new and naive king, Quincy, to break the truce.  They are met with resistance from a group called The Resistance, an alliance of herbivores and some carnivores, who liked how things were going with the truce.  In a sub-plot, Eleanor and Mindy, the teen-aged daughters of a Resistance T. Rex and a lovely Parasaurolophus chanteuse named Reginald and Carlotta (respectively), plot to bring their parents together romantically.

Does the show work?  Yeah, for the most part.  The target audiences are kids aged five and up, and their parents.  There is singing and dancing, satire mixed in with some tender moments (Quincy's wish that his father, King Marcus, wouldn't die is given an entire Ashman/Menkin wish song).  The book drags a bit in spots, and could use some more work, but the target audience enjoyed the show.  (Good lighting and other special effects helped, of course.)

Four of the thirteen characters die (one by natural causes) in the course of the show, nothing too morbid or lingered over.  The deaths didn't seem to bother any of the kids watching.  Guess they're more resilient than their parents credit them to be.

Casting?  Two juveniles as the young girls, three other females (two doubling in roles), four men (again, two of them doubling).  Yes, TCB, you could easily play King Marcus, and could probably also handle the doubled role of Swifty Levine, a triceratops direct from the Borscht Belt.

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2006, 06:21:15 PM »

Nice pictures JMK...are you sure you weren't a hippie? LOL!

I think I like the preppie look best!

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2006, 06:23:10 PM »

Drove downtown and picked up some Chinese take out which I have now eaten while I am watching the Hong Kong movie FAIRY, GHOST, VIXEN (1965).

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2006, 06:24:08 PM »

At the moment I am slowly finishing my last almond macaroon, compliments of DR Jose.  I feel so lucky to get such wonderful treats sent to me.  The folks on this site sure are grand.

Once I finish this cookie I will be very good for the next few days and loose the few pounds I recently gained-blame it on Jose.  The trick is not to diet, but to eat properly and to burn off more calories than you consume.  Once the weight has been lost eating well and exercising have then become a way of life.  Also obsessing, as I do, about your weight helps.  The trick is not to gain more than a few pounds before going on a quick weight loss sprint.  It is so much easier to loose just a few pounds and doesn’t take long at all.

The wackiest or dumbest diet I have ever been on was the time I took diet pills.  I’m sure they were harmful to my system.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2006, 06:33:56 PM »

MY LAST ALMOND MACAROON

That will be the title of my next book.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2006, 06:34:47 PM »

Donna Migliaccio (who was thrilled to hear of your coming Broadway debut, DR Jose) was marvelously arch as the vile Mrs. Gapp, one of the plotting T. Rexi, and loveable as Mamma Lucredzia, the corythosaurus who invents "Spaghetti," which is also the very good number that opens Act II.  

Rounding out the cast was a Pteradon named Armando (doubling as the other T. Rex, Mr. Glut), and a couple of minor characters, again doubled, a cynical and French Pachycephalosaurus named Genevieve and a crafty Troodon named Gertrude.  (Gertrude gets a very clever comedy number in Act II, "I Don't Think You Really Want to Eat Me," another show highlight.)

The show has a lot of music, which is of course much better than the book at this stage.  Would it work on Broadway?  No.  Would it work off-Broadway?  Yes.  Would it work in regional theater?  Absolutely.  It's exactly the sort of show that kids need as an introduction to live theater.  (By the way, the theater was packed, with more kids than adults in the audience.)

Besides book-work, what the show needs is a cast recording.  It runs about ninety minutes, plus intermission; cut most of the book and you've got a good CD.  But, so far as Donna knows, there haven't been any nibbles.  It's a shame; most of the current cast lives in NYC, and would probably be thrilled to reconvene in a studio to give the show a longer life.

Or is that too blatant a hint?   ;D 8) ;)

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2006, 06:39:37 PM »

DR Jose--In answer to your question--

LA's fine, the sun shines most the time........

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2006, 06:40:01 PM »

...and the feeling is "lay back"

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2006, 06:41:35 PM »

Maybe we can get a little HHW group together in Feb. for Deceit--

Jose, maybe you and Michael S can fly out the same weekend in Feb?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2006, 06:43:35 PM »

**GASP***

DR JMK I am looking at your pictures and hearing Melanie and Graham Nash in the background.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2006, 06:44:09 PM »

This will NOT do....oh no this will NOT do.

If MR BK comes home to three pages of notes it will not be the NICE man cometh.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2006, 06:45:01 PM »

Diets - including the one I'm on now - are really just eating LESS and being more sensible....and cutting out the stuff that makes you fat!

AND exercising more!  I need to get into a musical so I can do some dancing!

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2006, 06:53:03 PM »

Uh-oh.

I only have 37 cent stamps and bills to mail. Can't the post office just raise the rate to 50 cents and leave us alone for the next 30 years?

Sort of like tearing off the band-aid all at once instead of s-l-o-w-l-y

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2006, 06:53:26 PM »

I had to add my 2 cents.

Literally.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2006, 06:57:19 PM »

Now, how was my day?

The Daddy was mostly very good today, except for his habit of tailgating at seventy-five mph.  I could have done without that.

William, the younger lad, was very very good today.  He was particularly happy to get a new Discman, which distracted him during the drive up to Philly and back.

The Mommy was on a hair-trigger most of the day.  If asked whether a glass of water was half full or half empty, she'd probably pour the water out out of spite.  And then blame you for her being thirsty.  Both lads were listening to their Discmen en route, but she still found several occasions to scream at them, because something was "bugging her."  

Alex, the older lad, is sullen, insolent, and uses his Discman and GameBoy to withdraw from the world at every opportunity.  He takes great offence at anyone telling him that he can't always be in withdrawal mode, such as not wearing the headphones when he's out on the street (he couldn't or wouldn't hear traffic around him, not a good thing for a country kid to try in a big city).  Put Alex and Mommy together, you've got a screaming match.  Not fun.

Der Grampa was, for the most part, his usual adorable curmudgeonly self.

I survived.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2006, 06:57:21 PM »

I didn't get to use all of mine either, DR IRIS*.  Oh well.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2006, 06:58:23 PM »

What do you do when the ONLY seller on EBAY that has the one item you want,  has a 96% Feedback rating?

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2006, 06:58:25 PM »

Hey, Vixmom--

My friend's daughter just got the part of Felicity in the new American Girl Place show that will open this spring in L.A.!

They will be rotating 4 casts of girls, and are taking reservations towards the end of this month.

Is there a theater at American Girl Place in New York also?

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2006, 07:02:52 PM »

JRand-

I'd go for it. Must not delay gratification.

Unless, of course, a large sum of money could be lost if the seller doesn't adhere to the rules....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up