Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OPENING NIGHT 2: NIGHT AND DAY  (Read 19722 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
OPENING NIGHT 2: NIGHT AND DAY
« on: January 15, 2006, 12:27:15 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've taken note of the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will either be in the night or the day.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 12:13:51 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:OPENING NIGHT 2: NIGHT AND DAY
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 12:28:10 AM »

And the word of the day is: DELIRIOUS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 12:28:26 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 12:58:40 AM »

I must be delirious to be posting at thius time at night... or the morning...

I seemed to have been struck down by a severe cold that is causing me to sleep constantly... bummer since it struck on a three day weekdn when I had plans to get lots of stuff done

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 01:00:26 AM »

I was just awoken by the storm we're having outside.  The winds are so strong that all the windows are rattling.

Last night we had a thunderstorm with such loud claps of thunder that all the car alarms in the neighborhood were going off.

vixmom

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 01:00:56 AM »

I guess I'lll try to catch up on all I missed.

vixmom

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 02:03:42 AM »

All caught up!

Congrats to Tpunk on her ascension to the heavens and congrats to DakotaCelt on her rapid rise from newbie to full member!!

vixmom

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 02:04:30 AM »

I wish I could be there to see Deceit bk!  

When can I expect to see it off Broadway?!

vixmom

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 02:09:58 AM »

Oh as to TOD...can't be anymore fun bunch than the HHW'ers I met after PennyO's show last April

vixmom

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 02:10:39 AM »

5 AM... guess I'll try and get back to sleep

Michael

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 04:56:29 AM »

BK:

Yes the flowers were from me. Glad they arrived.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 05:02:06 AM »

As for the TOD

I haven't had an opening night in years. But the last one was for a play (Survivors) I directed, designed and co-wrote. But it really was my actor that got all the kudos and that's the way it should have been. (It was a one man show) Everyone loved it and that was good enough for me.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 05:18:24 AM »

Good morning, all!  It's so good to see our DR Jason back and to know we'll see him (and possibly our DR FJL) tomorrow night!  DRGinny, safe flight!

DR Jed, yes, you and our DR Ann should settle into your car for a long winter's drive and head east, young man!  I'm not sure there's room for two on my fire escape, but DR MBarnum's guest bed at DR Rodzinski's might be available, once they clear off the muscle magazines.  And if there's room in the trunk, bring along our DR TCB.

Too many NY theatre stories, but here's one:  after the opening of Max Morath's show at the York Theatre, I went with Tom Jones and his lovely wife Janet to the opening party.  We sat at a table with a lovely and vivacious woman who had me laughing with her stories and she and I gossiped terribly, offered Tom lots of unwanted advice on casting HAROLD AND MAUDE, and had a fantastic time together.  When I asked Janet who her friend was, I learned she was Pamela Myers of "Another Hundred People."  She raised her family in Cincinnati, and we had a lot of friends in common, which only increased the commotion.

Next time I'll tell about the randy vicar and the oscar.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 05:36:11 AM »

LOL....Pamela Myers!  I love her singing on COMPANY - and in the documentary after they listen to a take and she says:  "That was the BEST?"  LOL.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 05:37:41 AM »

Congratulations to DECEIT - all and sundry this matinee Sunday.  It all sounds Delirious!!! DECEIT = DELIRIOUS - there's quote for you, an internet quote.

Miss Rose Marie was NOT mentioned, so I guess she didn't make it - but I imagined her distinctive laughter at the show....maybe she will come to see it today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 05:39:24 AM »

DRJOSE running around the Tidal Basin....I always think of it as the Fanne Foxe Hot Tub....and if you are old enough to remember THAT, you are my age.

AND just exactly how to you plan on STOPPING the auditions for A CHORUS LINE, DRJOSE?  I suggest you walk into the theatre carrying a dog and yell:  "SIng out, Louise!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 05:45:22 AM »

Hmmm...I ALWAYS go to the backstage door and gawk at the celebriteeeees!  We live in Indiana, you know, and don't git much chance to see them big sturs, ceptin' when they show up hyer.

My favorites (we always go opening night) - and I have NEVER met anyone mean or rude - include:

Sally Struthers - who is beautiful and has lovely skin, she really looks like a porcelain doll....she was with her daughter and a bunch of other people.  She talked to us and signed our programs and was very nice....she is tiny...well...she is short.

Marie Osmond was very nice, and invited everyone inside to wait for her while she changed her clothes after THE SOUND OF MUSIC.  She let everyone take pictures and signed programs and chatted to everyone.

Donny Most was very funny.

Jane Powell was also very nice - although one of her two little dogs peed on my leg while she was signing my program....she was most apologetic, but there you are!  I liked the show anyway.  Another TINY little woman.

Met a few others - but these are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 05:47:00 AM »

I just listening to There's No Business Like Show Business from the the Bernadette Peters revival. This is the first time I heard it.
Two things:
1) Who wrote the new lyrics?
2) And this has to be the worst orchestrations/arrangements I heard since the Doris Say/Robert Goulet studio recording which I listen to once and never did again. What a travesty!
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 05:57:31 AM »

Donny Most was very funny.

DR JRand55, great stories!  I scored "Strike Up the Band" around 1988 for California Music Theatre and this dreadful director Gary Davis (?).  Donny played the villain, and he was a genuinely kind and sweet person.  Tom Bosely, who played Fletcher, the reason for the war, was the total opposite.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 05:58:06 AM »

DR SWW - i hope Fletcher's recovery is going okay....poor doggie.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 05:58:31 AM »

Hurray - DRJASON is back!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006, 06:01:02 AM »

DR JRand55, great stories!  I scored "Strike Up the Band" around 1988 for California Music Theatre and this dreadful director Gary Davis (?).  Donny played the villain, and he was a genuinely kind and sweet person.  Tom Bosely, who played Fletcher, the reason for the war, was the total opposite.

Thanks, DRELMORE.  Donny played Vince Fontaine in GREASE - and Sally was Miss Lynch.  Before the curtain, Donny came out a "spun" a few records for a dance contest for the audience.  When we talked to him one of the things he asked was where he could find a golf course!  LOL...  Too bad about Mr Bosley...oh well.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006, 06:06:38 AM »

Re: this week's IN JUSTICE (for DRs George and MattH especially).

SPOILERS.

I don't think I enjoyed this week's show as much.  I think that the sister will probably stay on and be part of the cases though. Her chemistry with the lead guy was evident.

I'm not sure (major spoiler here) .... if the jailed guy lying made me dislike him.  But I think it did (and made me not want to root for him).  Whereas last week I was in tears, this week I did not find myself caring as much (when he was released at the end).

The resolution was fast and ended up going in a direction that we had not seen too much evidence of happening.  DR MattH I think since you missed the last 10 minutes, you probably never even saw the guilty party.  It was quite bizarre actually. I mean they were gonna give up on the case.  And then the brunette girl offered to help the sister (the innocent jailed brother admitted he lied and that the dead woman had gotten a call before she died and kicked him out of the car).

So they went to the place the call had taken place, it was a drug place. That led them to finding out that the dead woman was involved in drugs. And they found the guy, questioned him and the brother was let go.  Really not interesting.

DR MattH have you ever seen the show CLOSE TO HOME.  IT has a similar format to many of the shows you seem to like (except here it's the DA and prosecutors who are doing the investigating).  It has a very woman oriented slant (the 2 prosecutors are women).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2006, 06:13:22 AM »

Off to get ready for a day at The World of Wisdom.

We must live harmoniously with our neighbors. - The Dalai Lama

FJL

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2006, 06:34:15 AM »

Elmore -  Didn't Pamela Myers end up playing Maude in HAROLD AND MAUDE in the Palo Alto prodcution in summer 2005?

FJL

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2006, 06:44:44 AM »

Elmore - One of my favorite meeting-celeb incidents of the past year is that I got to meet Tom Jones after a show, and he's such a delightful person as well as a great talent.  It by total coincidence just happened to be on my 45th birthday, and since I was born the day before THE FANTASTICKS opened, I knew to congratulate him on the next day being the 45th anniversaruy of the opening of THE FANTASTICKS.  He told stories of how another show had been the critic's darling at the time THE FANTASTICKS opened, and such stuff.  Really a joy to meet him.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2006, 07:12:50 AM »

Yes - Pamela Myers played Maude in the TheatreWorks production in Palo Alto this last summer.  In fact, we shared the same building as I was rehearsing "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" in the rehearsal hall and she was performing "Harold and Maude" in the theatre.  Alas, our paths didn't cross.

However, one of my actors in "I Love You, You're Perffect, Now Change" played Peppermint Patty for me in "Snoopy!!!" when she was in 7th grade, and I thought it was cool that we had two Lucy's in the building at the same time!!  And alas, their paths nevercrossed, either.

BK - I'm going to miss the stories about the play while you are off these next couple of days.  Have a great matinee.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2006, 07:28:54 AM »

Just got off the phone with Ron Raines who was telling me about Patricia Neal's 80th birthday party last night.  Among the guests were Patrice Munsel, Amanda Plummer whom I love, and her mother Tammy Grimes.  We settled on a key for an orchestration and now I'm off to work on THE GOLDEN APPLE for a bit.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2006, 07:50:15 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, I slept in... Which I expected I would do, so...  'nuff about that.

However, it was very nice to start the day by getting on the scale and seeing some more "progress"!  :-)

-And this was even after eating almost two pounds of See's Chocolates this past week!  I still have the "brick" of Victorian Toffee to break into - literally - and I believe I shall bring that it to the theatre this afternoon.

Hmm... The See's Chocolate Diet.  Sounds good to me!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2006, 07:52:39 AM »

I rarely go backstage to meet celebrities...only people I know in the show.  Those who've come backstage to meet cast members of shows I've been in have always been interesting.  Anthony Hopkins came backstage during Crucifer of Blood to see Ian Abercrombie, he brought the cast some Guinness.  Also Susannah York came back and I've always loved her.  Nanette Fabray came backstage once when I was doing a dinner theatre show with Nancy Culp...she stopped by my dressing room specifically to tell me how good I was and how amazing it was that I had just gone into the show that night on one day's rehearsal...replacing an actor.  I also met Jose Ferrer who came to one of our University productions of The Night That Thoreau Spent In Jail.  

But probably the biggest thrill for me was when Bob Shreve, a local TV personality in Cincinnati, came to see a production of Duchess of Malfi of all things (or was it Marat/Sade?) because he was friends with the parents of one of the girls in the show.  I grew up with Shreve as a fixture on Cincy TV.  He did Popeye cartoons, The Three Stooges, and my favourite which I watch all through high school and college...The All-Night Movies on Saturday Night.  It was brought to you by Shoenling Beer and Bob was the host.  The movies were generally terrible...often grade C horror programmers.  But Bob Shreve was hysterical during the extended commercial breaks and he had all kinds of schtick he used to do and he had a cast of props and characters that used to have us in stitches.   One was a simple rubber chicken.  He'd hold it up and say,  "Here's Chicky. Would you like to see Chicky a little longer."  At  which point, he'd stretch the chicken out.  Stupid stuff like that all the time.  A Cincinnati TV icon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up