Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CLIFF'S NOTES  (Read 22159 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CLIFF'S NOTES
« on: November 29, 2003, 12:08:25 AM »

Well, you've read the notes so now all there is to do is post until the cows come home, not necessarily in that order.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 12:20:54 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:CLIFF'S NOTES
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 12:56:29 AM »

I tend to forget so many names of French Films but will always list the following in my favourites" Manon De Source, Jen De Florette, My Mother's Castle, My Father's Glory, Le Bonheur Est Dans Le Pre, Stavisky (I wonder why? -Italian/French), Indochine (beautiful star and beautifully filmed), Tante Tati and Madame Rosa. (Apologies to François for the spelling). I think it is the pacing of French films that I really love. I really did not like Amelie as much as I had anticipated - just too cute! The "new" version of Les Miserables - 20th Century setting was wonderful. Ou est les vaches? (I hope that my memory of high school  french lessons has not led me to ask something unseemly).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 04:12:54 AM »

Lord, Mabel.  Go away a day and all hell busts loose!  

It was like a Republic serial reading yesterday's notes, and I am glad glad glad that things are now worked out!  :P

DR Noel - I think Lorenz Hart did a show with a composer named Emmerich Kalman.....but I will have to check!  ;D  I am not sure where it fell in the time line.

French films?  La cinema?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm:

8 Women

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Breathless (original)

Contempt

I am sure there are a few others....but these are my favorites!

Bonjour Tristesse - yes, I think Jay is correct, this is about a brassiere factory, and I think it is a musical because I certainly remember the title song!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 04:56:20 AM »

2.. 2 more karma points! (oh, a count from sesame street reference!)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 05:43:42 AM »

DR Noel - I think Lorenz Hart did a show with a composer named Emmerich Kalman.....but I will have to check!  ;D  I am not sure where it fell in the time line.

Ding ding ding: We have a winner.

And now, hopefully, Jennifer understands why she'd have an easier time than most answering it.  (If not, look up my original phrasing of the question.)  Kalman is the answer.

I'll go with Children of Paradise for my favorite French film.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 05:48:05 AM »

;D

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 06:09:32 AM »

Sooooooooooo glad that Bruce mentioned The Red Balloon. Saw it as a child and what a glorius film it was especially the finale.

Which immediatly makes me think of two classic French films of all time la Grande Illusion and La Belle et la bette and Un chien andalou which is a short film that I studied in school.

Here is a partial list as I am sure I will remember some more later but these immediately come to mind.

Les Adventure de Rabbi Jacob with great French comic Louis De Funes which unfortunatley I believe is his only film ever to receive a main stream release in the USA.

Les Uns et Les Autres which they renamed stupidly Bolero in the USA after the music the play in the final scene. (It was released after the American film 10 which used the music brilliantly and should not be confused with the awful Bo Derek film of the same name)  It played over three years in Montreal and was able to see the director's original theatrical version unlike in the USA which was edited. There is also a six hour mini series version for TV that used footage left out of the theatrical release.

Trafic with great Jacques Tati in the persona of his great film creation Monsieur Hulot. Other films that I have seen with the character are Mon Oncle and Playtime.

Les Miserables Claude Lelouch reimaging of the story during WW2 with Jean-Paul Belamondo.

Jesus de Montreal,  Le Déclin de l'empire américain two films by Quebecois director Denys Arcand.

Kamarouska, Mon Oncle Antoine. Both films by Quebecois director Claude Jutras. The first one starred Genevieve Bujold.

Le Roi du Couer the Phillipe de Broca film a great anti war comedy.

and of course La Cage Aux Folles (but not any of the sequels)

oh I almost forgot La Nuit Amercaine Francois Truffault film about film making. And also Le Dernier Metro

and another film I just remembered DIVA directed by Jean-Jacques Beineix one of my top five favorite Fench films.

Then I reminded of Catherine Deneuve films Indochine, Belle du Jour, Repulsion (Roman Polanski directed and not sure if was originally shot in French or not but have only seen it that way) Tristana

The great documentary Chagrin et la pitié, Le (The Sorrow and the Pity which lost the oscar to The Hellstrom Chronicle about bugs taking over the world)

I am sure there are alot more films that I have seen but they don't come to mind right away.

BTW I don't count Emmanuelle as one of the great French films
Never stop dreaming.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 06:26:17 AM »

Hmmm.  When I clicked on the unseemly button on today's column, I got that annoying "Page not Found" message.  Tried it several times, too.  I've deduced the topic of the day, however, from today's early posts.  I'd have to say that my favorite French film is The Rules of the Game.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 06:41:22 AM »

You guyzzzzz!!!!! You're making it hard for me to read all the notes. I'm not around much this weekend and I thought the day after Thanksgiving would be light! No such luck:-)

Oh, well, it's just more for me to read when I get back in the city. No thoughts on French films yet. Maybe if I get a chance later to pop in, I'll have a choice or two.

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 06:43:11 AM »

DR Noel this is not fair. I knew the answer as soon as I logged off last night. And I was coming here to tell you. :(

When you said "say your name OR answer this" it didn't hit me that my name WAS THE ANSWER.

And the show was called MISS UNDERGROUND.

My my I can't believe that clue didn't hit me right away. I think it was only when you said, "I thought Jennifer would have the best chance to answer it" that the answer started to sink in. My first guess was cause I was Canadian. But then I remembered there was a composer with my last name.

Good question.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 06:49:32 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2003, 06:53:00 AM »

DR Craig do you really need 50 karma points to re-appoint Mark? :)

btw, I tried to give you karma, but it wouldn't let me. I must have already given you some within 3 days :(

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2003, 06:56:16 AM »

Yes, DR Jennifer. To re-instate (and country) Mark, My account must have 50 karma points.  It's similar to a sacrifice to the hungry g-ds of the internet...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2003, 07:11:30 AM »

I think that did it Craig!  And Mark!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2003, 07:23:55 AM »

Oh, so that's how it works!?!?  -I wondered what the "applaud" and "boo" thingies were for....

Good morning.

Well, I woke up myself up around 7:30 with a coughing fit - damn post-nasal drip.  So, I got up, got a drink of water and took my meds...  And then found myself very much awake, so...

It's been a nice morning of web-surfing.. Just catching up on things and chatting with some friends.

And it's sooo nice to be "home" again here on HHW!  :)

As for French films:

The Red Balloon - We would watch this every year in grade school around Christmas.  I haven't seen it in ages... Is it available on DVD?

Diva - I investigateded the "rest" of the Catalani opera, La Wally - interesting.  "Ebben..." really is the best thing in it.  And what an interesting title for an Italian opera?!?!?  But the movie was a favorite video rental of mine.

Un Coeur Un Hiver - Heck, it's about musicians, so....

The Music Teacher - Technically, I think this is Belgian, but en francais, so...  And Jose van Dam does a nice acting job.

La Lectrice - What a great, quirky movie.  Who knew Lewis Carroll could be so erotic.   ;)

Amelie - A great film to watch with a room of Francophiles.

And many more I can't recall right now...  I have a bunch on VHS, but since my VHS collection is not in sight right now...

WOW - Didn't realize I had dawdled so long this morning... gotta run...  See you later!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2003, 07:31:20 AM »

Thanks to all who provided me with the Mario Lanza information I requested yesterday. I had NO idea that CD had been done so long ago. Naturally, it's out of print now.

Favorite French films. Some have already been named: RULES OF THE GAME and THE GRAND ILLUSION are both masterpieces. I also adore Truffaut's THE 400 BLOWS, DAY FOR NIGHT, and especially THE LAST METRO. (Never been a fan of his JULES AND JIM though I know others consider it a masterpiece.)

I like THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG but I've never seen the semi-sequel with Gene Kelly in a supporting role. One of the days, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 07:33:46 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2003, 07:41:14 AM »

Oy. Another paper. Does anyone happen to know the theme of a short story called "Neighbors?"
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2003, 07:56:11 AM »

Anything by Resnais or Cocteau would make my list, so, Last Year in Marienbad, Hiroshima, Mon Amour, the Orphic Trilogy, etc.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2003, 08:10:33 AM »

French Films or French Toast?  I can tell you my favorite type of French Toast, well, I actually haven't had it yet, but Mom promised this caramel-cinnamon French Toast cassarole thing for Christmas Brunch this year, I don't see how anything could beat that.  But French Films, I know nothing.  

Matthew

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2003, 08:11:13 AM »

That was my 50th post, what happens at 51?  Let's see and find out.

Matthew

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2003, 08:11:39 AM »

Wow, Jr. Member.  I'm touched.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2003, 08:16:19 AM »

I like my French toast with butter and cinnamon sugar. Mmmmm...

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2003, 08:19:44 AM »

OMG, thank you for mentioning Cocteau, DR JMK! I completely forgot about BEAUTY AND THE BEAST or ORPHEE, two masterworks. I wouldn't give anything for my original Criterion issue of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. Contained on that disc is an SCETV production called "Cinematic Eye" with a former professor of mine, USC film professor Bernie Dunlap, lecturing on the film. This program was on the Criterion laserdisc, too, but when Criterion reissued B&TB on DVD, the program was missing.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2003, 08:20:22 AM »

Sandra, who wrote "Neighbors"?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2003, 08:25:08 AM »

"Neighbors" was written by Raymond Carver.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2003, 08:27:36 AM »

I going out to lunch now, but I'll look through some of my old textbooks when I return and see if I can find anything.

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2003, 08:33:27 AM »

Where is everybody today?

Btw for DR Emily: if you go to http://www.visasavings.ca you will see there are a number of places that have discounts if you use your Canadian visa card.  The amazon.ca one is good till dec 25th.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2003, 08:35:10 AM »

Thank you so much, Matt!

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2003, 08:36:49 AM »

Yes, DR Jennifer. To re-instate (and country) Mark, My account must have 50 karma points.  It's similar to a sacrifice to the hungry g-ds of the internet...

Okay I believe you :)

It just seems so weird!  When you made the offer last night wasn't there another option you gave people (other than the karma?).

Btw, since you have 50 now GET TO WORK :)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2003, 08:53:21 AM »

I agree...the karma blackmail is done!  Now change partners and dance with me!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2003, 08:59:05 AM »

Ah yes, I forgot INDOCHINE.

So many wonderful films, but it looks as if I am in the CONTEMPT corner all alone.....  ???
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up