Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CLIFF'S NOTES  (Read 21970 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:CLIFF'S NOTES
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2003, 09:03:23 AM »

DR MATTH - CC Music has two soundtracks on one CD!

http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=SOU41042
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2003, 09:17:12 AM »

I strongly admire Fellini, and I'm particularly fond of "Amarcord" and "La Strada."

JRand:  "Contempt," for all its style, leaves me cold.

Other foreign films I love: "Black Narcissus," "Life and Death of Colonel Blimp," "The Red Shoes," "A Matter of Life and Death" (aka "Stairway to Heaven").

And "Plein Soleil" ("Purple Noon") is a masterpiece of style, color, story, acting, directing, editing.  It takes my breath away!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 09:18:29 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2003, 09:29:59 AM »

French films, French films, not foreign films, foreign films.

Did anyone else have a prob with the second page of the notes?

She of the Evil Eye is actually a bit late today.

Michael Shayne - I love Repulsion, too, but it was an English production, shot in England.  Some others: The Bride Wore Black of Mr. Truffaut, L'Homme de Rio of Mr. de Broca (a wonderful movie), several of Mr. Jean Pierre Melville's films including Bob Le Flambeur, Le Samourai, and Le Circle Rouge, and how could I not mention Riffifi.  I also like the very talky Claire's Knee by Eric Rohmer.  And Wages of Fear by Mr. Clouzot,  and Judex by Mr. Franju.  It's amazing how many French films I've seen, really, but I was very enamored of them in from the early sixties on.

Emily

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2003, 09:31:32 AM »

Good morning everyone!

I hope you all realise what comes from allowing people karma - they can eventually use it to hold us all hostage ;)

Jennifer: those VISA savings look veeeeerrrryyyy interesting.  I also got your e-mail re: NY and I will most definitely be inquiring about the hotel situation

I am spending today and tomorrow turning an old paper about the Crimean War from CEGEP into a brand spanking new paper for my God awful Conflict, Crisis and War class.  I know it's not "right" on some level to recycle papers, but it fits so nicely! :)

After this, I have NO MORE PAPERS LEFT!!!!  The celebration can begin (until, that is, I realise I have five exams starting next Friday and continuing on until December 17th!)

My favorite French language films:

Le dîner des cons
Le déclin de l'empire Américain and Les invasions babares (IB being the sequel to deA)
Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (aka Amelie to you Yanks)
Jésus de Montréal

and last but not least...

La guerre des tuques (only because it is one of the first French films I can remember seeing and it is on tv here every winter like clockwork)

I'm off to write a paper, the wonderful paper of Oz! :D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 09:32:54 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2003, 09:37:56 AM »

I just tried again and this time had no problem getting to the second page of notes.  I guess the unseemly button had a brief hissy earlier, but all seems OK now.  
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2003, 09:41:41 AM »

Whew!  She of the Evil Eye has arrived and I must now beat it, daddy-o.  I'll be back and can't wait to catch up on all your excellent posts in about four hours.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2003, 09:48:25 AM »

I haven't seen many French films and the ones that I like the most have all been mentioned, but I'll mention them again:

Amelie
La Cage Aux Folles
Diva
Stavisky
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

I am spending today and tomorrow turning an old paper about the Crimean War from CEGEP into a brand spanking new paper for my God awful Conflict, Crisis and War class.  I know it's not "right" on some level to recycle papers, but it fits so nicely! :)

Emily, what do you mean it's "not right" to recycle papers?  I used to do it all the time when I was in school (lo, these 20 years ago).  There was one term paper I wrote in high school about the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II that I rewrote for my English 102 class in college.  I got an A on both versions.  I say go for it without guilt! ;D

...unless "on some level" there really is an ethical/moral reason that it's not right.  If there is, someone please enlighten me so that I can feel appropriately guilty (even though it's too late to do anything about it)!  ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2003, 09:52:25 AM »

Good afternoon all.  I was up very late so I slept very late.  The birds are singing, the sun is shining, I’m freezing my butt off. We had a cold front come through last night and it’s only 54 degrees at 12:12 PM here.  It’s very hard to go from in the 80's down 30 degrees in a 12 hour period and NOT be freezing your butt off.  Your body doesn’t have time to adjust.

So nice to learn that cooler heads have prevailed and after due consideration I can honestly say:

I HATE my hair this short!  And right when I need the most!  That’s my final (sob!) word on the subject.  

Quote from: Danise on Yesterday at 06:19:34pm
I hear the brown bag over head look is popular in some areas.

D

Quote From: TCB:
Yes, usually in my bedroom.

So you had a bad trim as well??  ;-)

d
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2003, 09:53:52 AM »

You're all still alive! You didn't kill each other! I got onto HHW today! Good job, guys :).

I went to the mall, and I bought new sweatpants, jeans, a gift I have to give to a local retirement center for Class Council, new Pumas, the Finding Nemo soundtrack, and a little Cinderella snowglobe.

The Nemo soundtrack is so much fun. The music is just so perfect for the movie, it combines the beauty of the film and the sorrow of the story seamlessly...I'm listening to it again.

I don't know a single French film. At least I THINK I don't. I've never even sen Chocolat or Amelie. But I LOVE that I can read these titles and understand what they mean! Love, love, love it. Francais est la langue de l'amour, n'est-ce pas? (Pardon all missing accents, I haven't got a clue how you do them.)

I watched The Exorcist for the first time last night. I thought it was kind of boring. My parents kept telling me that back in the seventies, that was the scariest thing anyone had ever seen. I guess movies have gotten scarier over the years...? The only good parts were when she was completely possessed and going crazy, in the room, and those were too far apart for me.

Sandra: www.pinkmonkey.com has everything you want to know about book summaries. If it isn't there, it's probably at www.sparknotes.com too.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 09:57:29 AM by SwishySarah »
...Walk in the sunshine...

Danise

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2003, 09:55:31 AM »

Jay said:
I guess the unseemly button had a brief hissy earlier, but all seems OK now.  

I'm not surprised. That's just the boards way of saying she misses her Daddy.

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2003, 10:16:30 AM »

I can assure you, Sarah, that at the time, THE EXORCIST was unlike ANY mainstream horror movie ever made, and I left the theater feeling utterly disturbed, destroyed emotionally, and overall just plain creepy. My stomach and psyche felt like they would never recover. It had a profound psychological effect on me - yes, just a movie. But I have stated here before on many occasions, I am a GREAT audience for films and theater. I believe it ALL; I can't ever sit there and tell myself it's only a movie. Linda Blair's makeup, the gritty, ugly look and sound of the film, and that demonic voice dubbed by Mercedes McCambridge all worked their "evil" on me.

This was long before the stream of HALLOWEENs, FRIDAY THE 13ths, and every possible slasher, possession, and creepfest film had been put out there and when horrendous language can find its way into PG-13 films. So, it may seem tame now, but I can assure it it was the stuff of nightmares in its day. (Of course, so was FRANKENSTEIN in 1931 and it's almost funny now.) It's all in the perspective.

Sorry, DR Sandra. I looked through all my old school textbooks, and that story wasn't in any of them. I haven't checked my own college texts. They're in another part of the house, but I can look for them later. I truly am not familiar with the title or author of the story.

Forgot all about "D'obolique," another French chlller that gave me nightmares.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 10:24:59 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2003, 10:24:56 AM »

I agree...the karma blackmail is done!  Now change partners and dance with me!

DR Ron.  I am not the one that programmed failsafes into this fershluganah system. Blackmail it is not. It's not even bluemail or redmail.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2003, 10:29:31 AM »

THank you, DR JRand, for finding those and giving me the addy, but I'm suspicious that those are not actually soundtracks but instead RCA Victor studio recordings of his songs from the films, and that's not really what I want.

That Rhino release was definitely MGM soundtrack recordings, and was selections from his first five films, not just those first two.

I REALLY appreciate your finding this for me, however.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2003, 10:35:41 AM »

A French film most people probably haven't heard of is the comedy Un elephant ca trompe enorment (An elephant can be extremely deceptive).  Originally released in 1976, it told of a happily married man (Jean Rochefort) who spots a woman in a red dress, and in spite of all the trouble he knows will follow he also knows he must know more about her.  Of course his buddies try to cover for him.  Of course his wife certainly acts like she knows what's going on.  Of course he's caught with his pants down...on television.

It was released in the USA as Pardon Mon Affaire, one of the many films released here after the unexpected success of La Cage aux Folles.  Personally, I think it is a much funnier film, with funnier situations and characters, mainly because they are truer to life (including the buddy who is gay, which none of the others suspected but then accept because he is, after all, their friend).  I also enjoyed the sequel, Nous irons tous au paradis (We will all meet in paradise), which was released here as Pardon Mon Affaire, Aussi.  And, as happened a lot in those days, an American version was made in 1984, under the title The Woman in Red, with Gene Wilder in the Rochefort role.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2003, 10:37:36 AM »

The only French film that I can think of that I have seen is ALPHAVILLE. I was just a kid and I don't recall much about it. I have seen several Italian sword and sandal films that were French co-productions, but other then that I am very French film ignorant.

I do like French actor Jacques Bergerac if that counts for anything! LOL!

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2003, 10:38:07 AM »

DR Ron.  I am not the one that programmed failsafes into this fershluganah system. Blackmail it is not. It's not even bluemail or redmail.

DR Craig, I think I can tell you why everyone here is confused.

Last night you wrote:

ATTENTION:

When Mark removed himself as the Administrator, he made it impossible for him to regain administrator access unless I (as the new administrator) granted it back. So I will now need all the Hainesies and Kimlets to clap their hands and say I do believe in Mark Bakalor to bring him back.

Should my Karma hit 50, the deed shall be done....

Do you see how it sounds like you are able to make Mark Administrator without the karma. When I read this, I thought you could do it, but you just wanted the karma.

It's all in the wording.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2003, 10:38:31 AM »

By the way Emily, did I ever tell you that your picture always makes me smile?

Emily

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2003, 10:42:52 AM »

By the way Emily, did I ever tell you that your picture always makes me smile?

MBarnum, what do you think if I change my picture to this to be more representative of today's blizzardy weather:

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2003, 10:45:59 AM »

Jennifer: those VISA savings look veeeeerrrryyyy interesting.  I also got your e-mail re: NY and I will most definitely be inquiring about the hotel situation

Re: the Canada Visa savings

It is cool. Although I don't think I will use any of them besides amazon.ca.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2003, 10:46:48 AM »

DR Danise - as bad as things are, just remember there are those without ANY hair who would be glad to share your problem.

DRMATTH - now that I look at the description a bit closer, I think you are right, they are described at RCA Victor soundtrack albums, strange.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 10:47:52 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2003, 10:48:08 AM »

Ha ha very funny Emily. But hopefully the snow that is now falling will MELT. I don't think there will be much accumulation. There is very little right now where I am.

Emily

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2003, 10:50:09 AM »

Jennifer: the HIGH for next Tuesday according to Environment Canada is going to be -9C

The snow won't melt if we keep having days like that!

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2003, 10:50:17 AM »

And btw, DR Emily: your pic makes me smile too. It's my favorite. But I think the snow flakes would make me dizzy.

Andrea

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2003, 10:56:28 AM »

Just a short note to say hello...

I won't be posting as much for the next few days, but I will be on reading.
Emily can explain the situation.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2003, 10:57:48 AM »

Jennifer: the HIGH for next Tuesday according to Environment Canada is going to be -9C

The snow won't melt if we keep having days like that!

Yeah it is supposed to get very cold. But I don't think there is supposed to be snow except for today.

We have been lucky so far. No real snow yet.

Michael

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2003, 11:00:38 AM »

Sooooooooooo glad that Bruce mentioned The Red Balloon. Saw it as a child and what a glorius film it was especially the finale.

Which immediatly makes me think of two classic French films of all time la Grande Illusion and La Belle et la bette and Un chien andalou which is a short film that I studied in school.

Here is a partial list as I am sure I will remember some more later but these immediately come to mind.

Les Adventure de Rabbi Jacob with great French comic Louis De Funes which unfortunatley I believe is his only film ever to receive a main stream release in the USA.

Les Uns et Les Autres which they renamed stupidly Bolero in the USA after the music the play in the final scene. (It was released after the American film 10 which used the music brilliantly and should not be confused with the awful Bo Derek film of the same name)  It played over three years in Montreal and was able to see the director's original theatrical version unlike in the USA which was edited. There is also a six hour mini series version for TV that used footage left out of the theatrical release.

Trafic with great Jacques Tati in the persona of his great film creation Monsieur Hulot. Other films that I have seen with the character are Mon Oncle and Playtime.

Les Miserables Claude Lelouch reimaging of the story during WW2 with Jean-Paul Belamondo.

Jesus de Montreal,  Le Déclin de l'empire américain two films by Quebecois director Denys Arcand.

Kamarouska, Mon Oncle Antoine. Both films by Quebecois director Claude Jutras. The first one starred Genevieve Bujold.

Le Roi du Couer the Phillipe de Broca film a great anti war comedy.

and of course La Cage Aux Folles (but not any of the sequels)

oh I almost forgot La Nuit Amercaine Francois Truffault film about film making. And also Le Dernier Metro

and another film I just remembered DIVA directed by Jean-Jacques Beineix one of my top five favorite Fench films.

Then I reminded of Catherine Deneuve films Indochine, Belle du Jour, Repulsion (Roman Polanski directed and not sure if was originally shot in French or not but have only seen it that way) Tristana

The great documentary Chagrin et la pitié, Le (The Sorrow and the Pity which lost the oscar to The Hellstrom Chronicle about bugs taking over the world)

I am sure there are alot more films that I have seen but they don't come to mind right away.

BTW I don't count Emmanuelle as one of the great French films

I would  like to add Salaire de la peur, Le directed by Clouzot remade as inferior Sorceror directed by William Friedkin.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 11:01:25 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2003, 11:05:14 AM »

Dear esteemed, gaelic, sinewy, and re-settled BK --

You get a big hug from the desert, for letting the air clear, and realizing that a lot of us humble H/Ks would really hate to see the door to the Living Room locked from the inside.  We have to look in and make sure that you don't run out of diet coke....we have to make sure that you eat enough varied and sundried foodstuffs..... we have to watch you plan arrangements and make sure that you don't leave out the harp parts and the French Horn counter-melodies...and we have to quickly wipe up, if ocassionly someone mistakenly pees on the floor a little bit.

Even though you might relish (or mustard) the peace and quiet, you are saddled with a crazed band of H/Ks who must circle your house and chant in Hindi !

MusicGuy

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2003, 11:06:30 AM »

DR Mark --  A hug from the desert for you as well.....karma points were sent out, to reinstate your good self.

MusicGuy

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2003, 11:09:02 AM »

Well DRs, and esteemed BK --    I will show how badly I can bend the topic of the day:

My favorite "French Film"  is "A Little Romance"  with a very young Diane Ladd, and a very old Laurence Olivier.  It is (for me) a real charmer, and I love to re-watch it with DR Kerry.

My second favorite "French Film" .... Funny Face !!!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2003, 11:10:28 AM »

Is the theme of NEIGHBORS "(How Can I Ignore) The Boy Next Store" by Martin and Blaine?

So many French films... most have already been mentioned like "Umbrellas...", "Young Girls...", "King of Hearts" and most "8 Women" but two fairly recent French comedies I loved were "The Dinner Game" and "The Closet".
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up