Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CLIFF'S NOTES  (Read 21968 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:CLIFF'S NOTES
« Reply #180 on: November 29, 2003, 08:19:23 PM »

Thank you for that pic, DR MBarnum. George Cukor started Aldo's career off in two showy parts: THE MARRYING KIND and PAT AND MIKE in support of Tracy and Hepburn. How difficult to start at the top like that!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 08:31:09 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2003, 08:20:07 PM »

Oh DR Francois: The 5$ off at amazon.fr is for "vendeurs seulement".  Only if you sell something there, your first sale gets $5 off.

Matt H.

« Reply #182 on: November 29, 2003, 08:21:30 PM »

WE'RE NO ANGELS: I did the play version of that movie last year - MY THREE ANGELS, it's called. I played the Leo G,. Carroll role in the stage play.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #183 on: November 29, 2003, 08:25:56 PM »

If you think inflatable snowmen aren't tacky enough, wait until you see what I found today that I'll post tomorrow.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #184 on: November 29, 2003, 08:26:12 PM »

François -- I will continue to make "allowances" even if you are in denial. although I thought you were supposed to be working and not frolicking through Egypt!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #185 on: November 29, 2003, 08:27:41 PM »

If you think inflatable snowmen aren't tacky enough, wait until you see what I found today that I'll post tomorrow.

Well, WHEW!  Do you know what a relief it is to find out that folks who buy and display these things actually realize the items are tacky????!!!!

It gives one pause to think...and reflect as to "why"!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #186 on: November 29, 2003, 08:30:15 PM »

The PBS "Oklahoma!" showings continue tonight.  We have about 5 local PBS stations that I get on cable.

Listening from my bedroom, I have to say that some of the singing is quite "pitchy"!

On another PBS tonight, Charlotte Church is desecrating Rodgers and Hammerstein.  Has no one ever told her that singing in a monotone is totally unattractive?

She needs to retire for a few years and study voice...and hopefully, she might find one.

Matt H.

« Reply #187 on: November 29, 2003, 08:34:03 PM »

LOL re Charlotte CHurch, DR Ron.

Among the DVDs I'll be buying and applying the savings to from DeepDiscount will be OKLAHOMA. But I have quite a few more. I'm compiling a list now and will order tomorrow.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #188 on: November 29, 2003, 08:36:03 PM »

Do you have the Angel issue of the original soundtrack to "Oklahoma!" with more music than had previously been issued?  This was a special treat for me!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 08:37:21 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: November 29, 2003, 08:49:44 PM »

DR (Dieu) Ron, no, I didn't buy the movie soundtrack reissue on CD though I do think it's a wonderfully sung version of OKLAHOMA (probably my favorite of all OKLAHOMAs). I did get the Decca Broadway reissue which also has some outtakes, etc. but is in mono, of course.

Here's a picture of Aldo clothed. I have to admit, MBarnum's is more titillating. This one is a little more up close and personal. It's from PAT AND MIKE.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 08:51:26 PM by Matt H. »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #190 on: November 29, 2003, 08:50:54 PM »

I must confess that I have very little viewing experience with French films.  Sadly when I was a child, I was diagnosed with a rare disease.  The Latin name for it is subtitleidleitis, it isn't fatal, but it does make it extremely difficult for me to understand the plot of any film while simultaneously reading the translation on the bottom of the screen.

I have made an attempt to overcome my affliction by occasionally forcing myself to see a foreign film.  I, of course, saw The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (released in Great Britain as The Bumpershoots of Berlin).  I also went and saw The 400 Blows, but I was disappointed because it wasn’t about what I thought it would be about.

So, I guess I would have to say that my favorite French film was the original, Diabolique, not only because it is a great thriller, but because itt contained an incredible performance by the fantastic Simone Signoret.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #191 on: November 29, 2003, 08:51:07 PM »

Welcome "home" TCB. How was the undertaking business etc today?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #192 on: November 29, 2003, 08:54:12 PM »

DR TCB: With comments like those I know why I miss you when you are not on board the board writing to amuse the bored. Can you ride a bicycle and chew gum at the same time?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: November 29, 2003, 09:17:09 PM »

Well, I must call it a night, good folks. Hope to see everyone back here tomorrow. Good night.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2003, 09:18:32 PM »

DR George, you know some of us have that video footage of Garland's MISTER MONOTONY, and I tell you now it was criminal that it was cut from EASTER PARADE.

I guess they figured since she got "Better Luck Next Time" later in the film, it was two solos for her too late in the movie, but as EASTER PARADE stands now, the only number we see her do in her big hit show is "A Couple of Swells" with Astaire. It's cute and charming, of course, but hardly something that would make someone an overnight star.

If you've never seen it, keep your eyes peeled for "Last Night When We WEre Young" as an outtake on the SUMMERTIME DVD once it finally happens. It's another of her greatest performances both visually and through her singing.

I think I've seen the footage of Judy's "Mr. Monotony."  Do you know if it was on one of the "That's Entertainment" movies?  A friend of mine loaned me his laserdiscs of all three installments and I taped them.  If it's on one of those, then I have it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #195 on: November 29, 2003, 09:19:30 PM »

Oh, and I picked up a barrel-full of new DVDs, even though they hadn't gotten in all of the ones I wanted (like Ship of Fools, The Great Gatsby and Alias, second season).  

I love Ship of Fools  It is one of my five favorite films of all times.  Mr. Kramer was at the top of his game with that one.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: November 29, 2003, 09:23:08 PM »

Watching To Live and Die in LA.  Didn't love this when I saw it originally, but I'm enjoying it now.

Tomovoz

« Reply #197 on: November 29, 2003, 09:25:37 PM »

Sounds like TCB is a Simone Signoret fan! And you missed "Madame Rosa"?
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #198 on: November 29, 2003, 09:28:03 PM »

I went to IHOP and had the crepes and pancakes and they weren't too bad.  Not incredibly wonderful, but worth what I paid for them (and the drink)...less than $7...but I they weren't so fabulous that I need to have them again any time soon.  I probably will try them again (they're available for a limited time only), but not too soon.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #199 on: November 29, 2003, 09:42:43 PM »

Friends and I have an ongoing debate about the worst Irving Berlin song ever...Mr. Monotony is right up there with Will Follow the Old Man and What Do You Do With A General When He Stops Being a General?  I myself have also had a particular distaste for Always.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #200 on: November 29, 2003, 09:53:19 PM »

TCB you are hysterical!  You had me going until you named your rare disease.

George, next time try and find and Original House of Pancakes, then your pancakes would be great.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #201 on: November 29, 2003, 09:58:44 PM »

Goodnight. :)

George

« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2003, 10:00:38 PM »

Charles, I've always liked "Mr. Monotony" especially sung by Debbie (Shapiro) Gravitte, and I think Sarah Brightman's version is pretty good, too.  Why don't you like it?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2003, 10:32:29 PM »

No, no, no. I do not buy these tacky things. I merely enjoy them when other folks buy them.  
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2003, 10:35:38 PM »

George:  Yes, "Mr. Monotony" was featured in one of the "That's Entertainment" films.

Speaking of Irving Berlin, "White Christmas" was airing on some station tonight, and I channel surfed onto Rosemary Clooney singing "Love, You Didn't Do Right By Me," supported dancewise by a young George Chakiris and three chorus boys.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2003, 10:36:36 PM »

No, no, no. I do not buy these tacky things. I merely enjoy them when other folks buy them.  

I'm sorry...you didn't buy that inflatable snowman?  I thought that when you said you "found it yesterday," it was while you were out shopping.  And I presumed you brought it home, inflated it and took its picture to share with us!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 10:39:27 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2003, 10:36:51 PM »

Funny, I've never really loved Always either.  But I do love Mr. Berlin in general and I must tell you that being one of the first people to be allowed to go through his trunk was one of the biggest thrills of my life.

François

« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2003, 10:38:31 PM »

Gee, i never knew Mr Berlin was an elephant!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2003, 10:41:13 PM »

Actually, François, we call them "Republicans."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2003, 10:45:04 PM »

Good evening!

Boy does it take me a bit of time to read through a day's worth of notes... And a nice day's worth it is.

Both shows went well today, and the lightboard behaved during both performances.  Whew!

Between shows, the conductor and I headed to Chinatown to get some dinner.  Originally, we had planned to check out a new wood-fired-oven pizza place - yes, in Chinatown - but ended getting sidetracked on the way there by an old favorite of mine that had reopened in a new location, Eat First.  It's one of those bare bones, no decor places, but the food is amazing!  And the food was amazing - except that our hot and sour soups arrived not so hot, more like lukewarm...  but the main dishes were great.  I got my usual, which is Fried Bean Curd Stuffed with Shrimp Paste.  It was like an old friend - not that I would eat an old friend... oh, nevermind.  Such a great dish - and a lot more tasty than the title of it sounds.  On the way back, we stopped into an asian supermarket and picked up some treats for later.  He got green tea ice cream, and I picked up a four pack of taro and coconut popsicles.  YUM!  And I also picked up a container of those lychee "gels", but in the new "safer" version since the original "design" was actually a choking hazard for small children.  *I know this will be amazingly confusing to a lot of you, but if it's not, you know what I mean.   ;)

So....

Two more shows tomorrow, and then another glorious day off.  And this time, I won't have to wake up early on Tuesday morning to head back up to DC since we don't have a noon matinee this Tuesday.  YEAH!!!!  -This will also give me more time to bake... and I plan to quite a bit this time round - have to make up for last week.  Of course, if I end up heading out to dinner with the same person I had dinner with last week....  We'll see... ;D

Well, it's late, and I've been up since 7:30... so... Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up