Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CLIFF'S NOTES  (Read 22312 times)

Jed

Re:CLIFF'S NOTES
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2003, 04:25:02 PM »

Well, I'm now totally caught up post-wise.  I'm kinda glad I wasn't around for yesterday's drama... much nicer to read its beginnings and its happy ending within 15 minutes. :D

As I mentioned, Thanksgiving was rather low-key for my family this year.  Due to state high school football playoffs, and also due to medical problems in another branch of the family, our usual Thanksgiving dinner for 15 ended up being only 6 of us (my mother, sister, grandparents, and one uncle, along with my very own self).  But all was quite pleasant, and my cousin won his football game, so all is good.  Also, since my grandmother had prepared for 15, I got to bring home a sizable chunk of leftover turkey. :)

French films...  Haven't seen all that many, but of those I have seen, I've greatly enjoyed 8 Women and Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

To DR Andrea...  Never to fear, your HHW paramour has no women who drape all over him to provoke your wrath. Not that I'd object if I did, but... wait... never mind... ;D  Hope whatever is preventing you from providing a plethora of posts passes quickly so you can rejoin us in full force!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2003, 04:26:40 PM »

Bk...I love LORD LOVE A DUCK.  What a wonderfully wacky film!  

Just for Francois a recent French Film I loved was entitled En Garde over here. I believe it's original title was Le Bossou (feel free to correct my spelling) or, translated, The Hunchback, a wonderful period swashbuckler.  I also loved Queen Margot.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2003, 04:46:28 PM »

I should be listing my favorite French movies-I’m just soooooo sleepy.  For the most part I believe they have already been named.  I see a selection of new movies to watch.

Off to feed the pets.

Tomovoz

« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2003, 04:50:33 PM »

It has taken me 14 hours but I have been trying to remember the name of a French movie we really enjoyed this year. WW II drama mostly set in and around a nursing home for people with TB - I think the film was in fact "Lisa" Almost an anagram for "asile" which I thought rather clever. WEL also listed two more recent films which I also found enjoyable. "Delicatessen" is also worth a mention.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2003, 04:54:45 PM »

Thanks for the link François - brought back some memories of my brief visit to Angouleme twenty years ago. (when you were but a small child).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2003, 04:59:05 PM »

Thanks. Francois - what a lovely site and sight!  ;D

I am looking for a nice holiday picture to replace Mr Gordon Scott, so do not be surprised what may turn up later.  I am watching The Pink Panther on TCM....and thinking of lovely Maya watching Nine!  How exciting it must be to be sitting in a Broadway theatre at this very minute!!!   :o
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2003, 05:13:13 PM »

DR Jennifer:  Well, I totally understood that you were asking about a coupon from the Amazon.fr site and not about using a .Ca coupon or .us coupon.

But we have to make allowances for François, you know.....

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2003, 05:15:52 PM »

DR MattH:  Busy, busy boy!  

Be grateful you aren't "into" film scores!  I have a pile of those I may get to in another year if I am lucky and if they don't issue many more "must haves"!

I think someone ought to invent a "piles organizer" for DVDs and CDs!  Something that would allow us to put things away in a special place until we get around to experiencing them.  All I have is a floor, and that's because every other square inch of space is overflowing with CDs and vids.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2003, 05:16:15 PM »

DR Tom from Oz:  Nothing like a summer storm!  Ahhhhh......

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2003, 05:18:04 PM »

Aughghghghghgh!  I have done so very little over the past three days that I feel terribly guilty.

I haven't addressed my Christmas cards.

I haven't packaged my early Christmas gifts to family!

Aughghghghghghghgh!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2003, 05:23:55 PM »

Here's an interesting item being auctioned on eBay!  It's up to $41.  It's an "EP", which I think is another way of saying 45 rpm.

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2003, 05:31:51 PM »

EP Extended Play 45 rpm disc with 4 tracks instead of the usual 2.  There were often film scores and the "hit" tracks from musicals released in that format in thew late 1950s in particular.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #132 on: November 29, 2003, 05:32:12 PM »

DR HHW Sr. Member François:  Are you into film soundtracks without songs?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2003, 05:36:09 PM »

EP (extended play) have more cuts than the standard two on 45s.  Usually four, but sometimes up to six.  At one time I had the largest collection of foreign soundtrack EPs (for many films it was the only release - no LP) of anyone in the US - I had virtually everything, including Plein Soleil above, but also including everyone's two holy grails - La Notti di Cabiria and Mr. Herrmann's The Bride Wore Black.  I made tapes of all of them when I finally got rid of everything - of course, now I wish I'd waited because it would have been nice to burn them directly on to CD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2003, 05:38:15 PM »

Pogue: I am watching Lord Love a Duck, enhanced for widescreen TVs (what MGM chooses to do enhanced is so arbitrary as to be totally annoying - Odds Against Tomorrow is not only not enhanced, it's full-frame.  Crime of Passion from the same year is 1:66, but not enhanced.  Totally nuts.  Unfortunately, the LLAD transfer is also a bit soft, out of focus more than I think I've ever seen any other DVD - maybe it will get better after the first reel change.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2003, 05:38:43 PM »

Oh, and the good news about the majority of the discs I got today were that they cost under 12.00.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2003, 05:39:01 PM »

Who wants to go get pancakes?

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2003, 05:39:56 PM »

Possibly the oldest EP in my collection:
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2003, 05:40:12 PM »

I read today that Judy Garland is going to get some attention on DVD during 2004. Among her films that will see DVD releases next year are MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME, ZIEGFELD GIRL, FOR ME AND MY GAL, and I COULD GO ON SINGING. Looking forward to all of those. Still no word on EASTER PARADE or THE PIRATE (imagine how fantastic those are going to look on DVD), but those five are still good news indeed.

Great News!  I have the remastered soundtrack CD of EASTER PARADE that includes (as a bonus track) Judy's "Mr. Monotony," that was cut from the movie...and a couple of other projects.  Debbie (then Shapiro) Gravitte also sang it in her Tony winning performance of Jerome Robbins' Broadway.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2003, 05:48:33 PM »

I'd love to join you for pancakes, BK, but unfortunately I must be off.  Off to see a production of On Golden Pond, that is.  Hope it's a good one, but if not, at least my ticket is free. :)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2003, 06:08:30 PM »

Dear esteemed, elfin-like, deep, and frivolous BK,

Ah'd luv tuh go git pancakes, but Ah jest washed mah hair!

Actually, I just put a home-made casserole of elbow macaroni, 2 cheeses, and ham chunks sauteed in Port into the oven....can you be over here in 45 minutes??

We have Diet Coke also.

A Bien Tot, mah little pretty.

:o

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #141 on: November 29, 2003, 06:10:11 PM »

DR Tom )of Oz fame) --

Please know that DR Kerry and I both send you the very best and healthy vibes to pass on to Colin.  We will hold all good and positive thoughts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2003, 06:11:36 PM »

Ham chunks - now we're talkin'.  I had a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich for lunch.  Not sure about dinner.  Doesn't ANYONE want to go get pancakes?  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2003, 06:12:56 PM »

I love EP's!   ;D

I have a few....this is one I like the most....from Australia....still with the title of the book Lovers Must Learn, but with the scene still and music from US version titled Rome Adventure.

Al Di La!!!!!!!!!!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2003, 06:16:35 PM »

Chatty, chatty, chatty (that's three chattys) you've all been today.  How delightful!  How delicious!  (Oh, never mind.)

I saw an interesting film today, called 21 Grams.  All of the major characters in the film are rather anti-heroic, and I found it somewhat difficult to become engaged with them.  I caught myself checking my watch a couple of times, which is never a good sign.  Still, the film's story is told in a non-linear jig-saw puzzle sort of way, and I must give credit to the writers and director for their success in making that approach work.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2003, 06:28:13 PM »

And for today's trivia: "Al Di La" was an entrant in the 1961 Eurovision Song Contest. (It came 5th). Emilio of course managed to make a hit out of the song in the USA as did the Ray Charles Singers. The song was a total 'bomb" in Australia as was "Lovers Must Learn" (despite the presence of td. No sorry, TD)
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2003, 06:34:25 PM »

AH yes, DR TOM - but it is a HIT with me!  I also have the WB LP of the soundtrack and score!  And of course the video.  I hope soon that all the Delmer Daves 1960's WB films will be on WIDESCREEN DVD!

Emily

« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2003, 06:34:35 PM »

Tom - is it just my eyes acting up on me or is one of the artists on the KISMET album listed as having the first name "Chimp"? Hmm... what was HIS mother on when she named him...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2003, 06:43:29 PM »

Mmmm, pancakes. I can be there in 28 days.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 06:45:36 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2003, 06:46:16 PM »

Champ Butler - he had a few successful discs in the early 50s: "I Apologize", "Down Yonder" and "Be Anything".(all songs recorded more successfully by other artists)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 06:49:39 PM by Tom from OZ »
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up