Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CLIFF'S NOTES  (Read 21969 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:CLIFF'S NOTES
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2003, 06:51:59 PM »

Damn you all! ;D  Because Bruce asked for pancake buddies and all the pictures of pancakes that have been posted, I went to www.ihop.com looking for more pictures to post.  What did I find?  Very small pictures not really worth posting...but on the homepage, a new slogan:

The stuff dreams are made of.  New Stuffed Crepes (available for a limited time only!)

and the description that really got my attention:

Bacon and Cheddar :
Two light, golden crepes stuffed with scrambled eggs, crisp bacon and Cheddar cheese. Topped with sour cream and served with two buttermilk pancakes or hash browns.

Pancakes AND crepes!  I must consume!  There's an IHOP less than a mile from where I live so I'm off...and I was planning on staying in tonight.  ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2003, 07:07:50 PM »

Well I just "cashed" in on the deepdiscountdvd promotion with some dvds.. the most I ever bought at one time... anywhere...  

all that jazz, matrix 2, west side story, xanadu, evita, fiddler on the roof, seven brides for seven brothers, the court jester, the wiz, the sure thing, sleeping beauty and a few others...

Michael

« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2003, 07:08:01 PM »

Tony Dale by Proxy

Jean de Florette and Manon of the Springs favorite French Films

and then the Umbrellas of Cherbourg and the Young Girls of Rochfort
Never stop dreaming.

Emily

« Reply #153 on: November 29, 2003, 07:21:45 PM »

I just spent an awful evening ironing out wrinkles in my old history paper to make it into a brand spanking new political science one.

My thesis: the causes of the Crimean War can best be explained using the realist approach to international relations and conflict study

Sometimes my papers bore me... and I'm the one writing them!

After my big familial breakfast (two poached eggs, toast and fruit) and then a mid-afternoon snack (bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon) I was feeling mighty mighty full and so declined my sisters' invitation to go out for dinner.  A half hour ago the hunger pangs started up again but there was *gasp* absolutely nothing to eat in the house.  Well nothing except for half a frozen package of mini egg rolls that my mother served at KULINPALOOZA in September.  So I made my dinner out of them.  Not very healthy and I'm fairly sure that Jared would not approve.  Does plum sauce count as a vegetable/fruit? ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 07:23:20 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #154 on: November 29, 2003, 07:22:20 PM »

Craig - what? - no FINDING NEMO?
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #155 on: November 29, 2003, 07:24:27 PM »

Oh and Craig, when is the official switchover going to happen now that you have your 50 karma points?

Not that we are desperate to have things back to normal or anything... :)

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2003, 07:25:08 PM »

already have Finding Nemo

Also left out "Alice at the Palace"  - Love that Swados musical... glad it's on DVD!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #157 on: November 29, 2003, 07:27:02 PM »

Work was interesting. I got there at 5, and from 5-9, there were exactly 2 tables. I got $5.77 in tips, which is now gone, because I was thirsty, and I bought a caramel frap at Starbucks. Ah well, you can't blame people for not going out to eat Thanksgiving weekend. I just hope that tomorrow is busier, because I NEED money!

Pancakes sound excellent right now. Perhaps next Saturday, BK, it's a little late at the moment.

I am loooooving the NEMO soundtrack.
...Walk in the sunshine...

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2003, 07:29:54 PM »

I never even noticed that I'm now a full member. Kind of a nice little surprise.

#28 on the NEMO soundtrack is my new favorite. And numbers 1-27, 29-40 are good too :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jennifer

« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2003, 07:41:14 PM »

Dear reader Jennifer!

If you are ordering from Amazon.fr you can't use a discount coupon that is only good for Amazon.ca!

You see, you use CAN.$ while we use euros!

No, I don't want to use an amazon.ca coupon. I want to use an amazon.fr coupon!

The amazon canada people are constantly emailing us discount codes. I'm sure there must be those same codes for france, right?  Probably after I order something from there I will start receiving them.

Emily

« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2003, 07:42:11 PM »

crap

I just realised I need a passport to enter the US

bureaucracy here I come :(

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2003, 07:47:19 PM »

Fosca and Magnus send the best of shoulder vibes to Echo. Fosca will soon be in hiding as a thunder storm approaches! I guess that means I should turn off the computer soon too.

Did Fosca and Manus survive the storm?  Fortunately Echo isn't bothered by storms or fireworks.  Feathers on the other hand do scare her.  It is very strange and funny.

Jennifer

« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2003, 07:49:06 PM »

DR Jennifer:  Well, I totally understood that you were asking about a coupon from the Amazon.fr site and not about using a .Ca coupon or .us coupon.

But we have to make allowances for François, you know.....

Hee hee.

Well be nice to Francois. He is trying to help me with my order.  So all is forgiven.

Believe me, if I could use the amazon.ca coupon in France I would :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2003, 07:54:05 PM »

Finished Lord Love a Duck - Lord, what a totally weird film - a completely one-off wacko black comedy that is so all over the map that one can only wonder what its writer/director (George Axelrod) was on at the time of its making.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2003, 07:55:40 PM »

Thanks Jane. Fosca is the only one who is stressed (other than US). Lightning at night is what she really hates. Magnus only seems to become agitated because she is seeking attention. Strange world. The storm passed quickly but we did lose power three times for short periods of time.
DeepDiscounts! I want too much. It would have been all worthwhile IF they had extended free shipping this way!(I was hoping for "Castle in The Sky" which is still not available here and "1776" ). Oh well! Maybe I'll save enough money by about March to import a few DVDs.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2003, 07:57:38 PM »

DR George, you know some of us have that video footage of Garland's MISTER MONOTONY, and I tell you now it was criminal that it was cut from EASTER PARADE.

I guess they figured since she got "Better Luck Next Time" later in the film, it was two solos for her too late in the movie, but as EASTER PARADE stands now, the only number we see her do in her big hit show is "A Couple of Swells" with Astaire. It's cute and charming, of course, but hardly something that would make someone an overnight star.

If you've never seen it, keep your eyes peeled for "Last Night When We WEre Young" as an outtake on the SUMMERTIME DVD once it finally happens. It's another of her greatest performances both visually and through her singing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2003, 08:00:10 PM »

crap

I just realised I need a passport to enter the US

bureaucracy here I come :(

You should double check on that. I know for a while they were strongly suggesting Canadians use a passport.

But I think there is a chance that you could go with just your birth certificate and a picture id.

If you do need a passport then you will not like the trouble it takes to get one.  The passport office is not pleasant. I go to the one opposite Cote Vertu.  You take a number and wait for like 2 hours.

But the best part is this.  They are being VERY PICKY about what birth certificates are accepted for id for your passport. I've had 2 passports. When I got the first one (10 or whatever years ago) I used my regular little blue Quebec birth certificate. But when I went to get my new passport last year. They said those birth certificates are no longer valid. And I had to go downtown to get a new birth certificate made. And then I had to go back to the passport office.

The one good thing was when I went back they give you a special code so you don't wait. And then they mailed my passport by special delivery.

They can do the passports rush if you need them.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 08:04:59 PM by Jennifer »

Kerry

« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2003, 08:01:35 PM »

I'll have to go along with "The Red Balloon" as well as "The Last Metro."  I also liked "Get Out you Handke4rchiefs" as odd as it was.  And the the Cocteau "Beauty and the Beast" is such a classic.   There are others, but today was a tough at work, and my brain is not working.

Ward, are the boys getting along now?  You know how I worry about the Beav.
I like boat races.

Jennifer

« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2003, 08:02:30 PM »

DearReaderLaura:

Your so right about those new blow up lawn ornaments.  I think they look so horrible.   I give kuddos to those who can come up with something ORIGINAL.    

I'm going to go back and reread DR Laura's original comments. But here we have these blow up lawn snowmen. And I actually think they are so cute (probably cause I've only seen one house with them).

Me, I am sick of the icicles. Yuck.

But the snowmen are so cute. Yesterday it was windy and rainy and the snowmen broke (or popped or blew over). And I actually felt so bad. The people who live there must have been so upset when they realized what happened.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 08:07:28 PM by Jennifer »

Matt H.

« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2003, 08:05:06 PM »

I just finished X-2 tonight, and it was loads of fun. Great picture and the dts sound had the house shaking on a couple of occasions. Nicely developing characters and some interesting new ones made for a fascinating science fiction adventure.

I never reported on the other SHERLOCK HOLMES in that second boxed set either. I mentioned how astonishingly sharp and clear THE PEARL OF DEATH was. It remained the best of the four in terms of image quality, but THE SPIDER WOMAN was a very close second. I'd say THE HOUSE OF FEAR was a tick back in quality (still excellent), and THE SCARLET CLAW probably the worst of the four, but certainly looking far better than I've ever seen it anywhere else.

Darn! Have to wait until January to get the third boxed set of these. But for this quality, they're worth the wait.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 08:09:05 PM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2003, 08:06:13 PM »

Running out to get something to nibble on, then I'll watch another DVD and also post until the cows come home.

Tomovoz

« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2003, 08:08:42 PM »

Thanks to the many wellwishers who have sent  cheerful messages of support for a speedy recovery from my recent operation. Surviving the operation is of course only the first step in the rehabilitation process. I now need to survive Tom's cooking until I am well enough to get back into the kitchen!Both Magnus and Fosca have been less than happy over the past few days as "Daddy" has not been able to give them the attention that they consider they deserve. Hopefully though, all will be back to normal within a few weeks.
Thanks again for your kind thoughts,
regards
Colin
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2003, 08:10:53 PM »

Forgot to mention that I saw Haunted Mansion tonight. Not as inventive as Pirates. Afterall there is so much one can with a haunted house story and keep it PG which after seeing it I wonder how it was able to get that. There are some good scares and images that I would think be nightmare studd for younger children. Also they hit you over the head with a few plot points early in the film that you just know will come back later in the film. Eddie Murphy is now playing himself on film. Absolutely no characterization at all was attempted. The kid actors were annoying, but Terrence Stamp was good in his role as the butler. Unlike Pirates I don't think this is a keeperfor me on DVD. And oh if you do go to see the film stay to the end of the credits. There is another short scene.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2003, 08:11:27 PM »

Now, what to pick for tomorrow to watch. Probably THE MARRYING KIND since I've been talking about Judy Holliday for most of the day, and that Aldo Ray was also such a cutie back then.

Jennifer

« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2003, 08:12:27 PM »

I don't know Dear Reader Jennifer.... I might have eaten too many pancakes but it seemed to me that you were asking Emily how to get a $5 off coupon from amazon.fr.... hence my silly answer... and the remark by Dieu Ron that WE won't comment!

Now, from what I saw on Amazon.fr, they do offer a 5 EURO coupon for FIRST BUYERS EVER ....

But THEN.... I might be completely wrong!
Sorry!
I should mind my own business since you were asking Emily and NOT me!

And please, inspite of Dieu Ron's invitation, NO TOLERANCE -- allowance" HE said! -- with me; i'm not worth it! ;)

That "said": I'm rushing to finish my.... pancakes i got with a 5 peso discount coupon! :D

Hey, I don't mind anyone's answers.  The reason I was asking DR Emily (and maybe this will make more sense after I explain it) is because we both buy from amazon.ca a lot. And we are both obsessed with discount promotions.  She posted when she received one in the mail. And I told her about a Visa one I got.

I knew she couldn't help me find a discount for amazon france. But I thought she would probably be the only one amused by my request.

I'll have to check about the $5 off euro coupon. I think it is for something else. I'll go check now.

And any help is appreciated. You are not bothering me in the least.  And I didn't find your original comment silly either.

Jennifer

« Reply #175 on: November 29, 2003, 08:14:09 PM »

Hey, did anyone else see the commercial with Hildy for next week's Trading Spaces?  Too funny. She said something like, "if you saw me put records all over the walls ... and if you saw me put flowers ... then what will you think about feathers?"

OMG, feathers! Yuck!  This looks like a must see next weekend at 9pm!

Btw, I saw the pic DR Laura posted of the snowman. The ones I mentioned don't look anything like that. There are actually 2 of the them and they are bigger, much bigger. Maybe DR Emily has seen the ones I'm talking about.

Matt H.

« Reply #176 on: November 29, 2003, 08:15:23 PM »

Thanks for that review, DR Michael. When I first saw this advertised, I immediately thought that Eddie Murphy was now doing the same thing Bob Hope, Abbott & Costello, and Martin & Lewis did - doing a horror comedy. I know it was based on the Disney theme ride, but the idea of putting a funny man in a terrifying environment and watching his reaction seemed exactly the same to me.

Jennifer

« Reply #177 on: November 29, 2003, 08:16:31 PM »

And now I want pancakes too!  Good thing I am getting to eat blueberry pancakes for breakfast tomorrow. Otherwise I would be thinking about them for the next week.

MBarnum

« Reply #178 on: November 29, 2003, 08:16:32 PM »

Now, what to pick for tomorrow to watch. Probably THE MARRYING KIND since I've been talking about Judy Holliday for most of the day, and that Aldo Ray was also such a cutie back then.

Boy DR Matth, you and I do have the same taste in men! WE'RE NO ANGELS was always my favorite Aldo Ray film!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 08:17:21 PM by MBarnum »

Matt H.

« Reply #179 on: November 29, 2003, 08:17:02 PM »

I AM looking forward to getting PIRATES on Tuesday.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up