Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CLIFF'S NOTES  (Read 22313 times)

Jed

Re:CLIFF'S NOTES
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2003, 01:32:41 PM »

Hello, hello there! (Oh, a Bells Are Ringing reference!)

I am home again after a quiet Thanksgiving back home.  More later, but I have 3 days worth of posts to catch up on!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2003, 01:45:38 PM »

Welcome back Jane and Jed. Just skip yesterday's notes and post about the delights of your last few days. (There is not an assumption that you were away together - Keith is probably reading this too!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2003, 01:47:08 PM »

I’m back from Portland where I had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  It didn’t rain and the sun was shining at times.  Hope you all had a nice holiday.

I was not on last night.  You might have seen my name as if I was lurking but I wasn’t.  We purchased a new keyboard and Keith was programming a direct link for me.  Now I just press a button and here I am.  After reading the posts today, maybe I should pass on reading yesterday’s posts.  

Now that I’m home I have lots of work to do before I leave for L.A. again.   I need to get the work done at my father’s condo so we can sell it.  I might be reading more than posting but shall try to keep up.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2003, 01:50:45 PM »

Hello, fellow dear readers.  I don't know from French movies.

One of my favorite things about Christmas is the tacky decorations. Here's one I found yesterday: an inflatable snowman.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2003, 01:54:53 PM »

isn't it bad luck to see the bride before the wedding? ;)

I don’t think it gave me bad luck  :) -still happily married after 34 years.  Not only did we have the photographs taken before the ceremony (so true Craig) but Keith picked me up and drove me to our wedding.

Jane

« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2003, 02:00:29 PM »

Welcome back Jane and Jed. Just skip yesterday's notes and post about the delights of your last few days. (There is not an assumption that you were away together - Keith is probably reading this too!)

You posted while I was typing.

LOL  Nope,  Keith just returned from the gym so I will now have to turn the computer over to him.  I'll return later.  

It's raining and Echo still can't walk.  I think we can start taking her for walks in a couple of days.  She keeps begging to go but we need her shoulder to completely heal before we risk it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2003, 02:14:36 PM »

Fosca and Magnus send the best of shoulder vibes to Echo. Fosca will soon be in hiding as a thunder storm approaches! I guess that means I should turn off the computer soon too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2003, 02:16:05 PM »

Hey can someone please tell us why DR Andrea will not be posting for a while?  I hope it's not because of that CYCLOPS guy. :)

Good vibes to you!  And be careful in the snow. It doesn't seem slippery. But my car went sliding down the street (luckily there were no other cars). But it was scary.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2003, 02:16:57 PM »

I read today that Judy Garland is going to get some attention on DVD during 2004. Among her films that will see DVD releases next year are MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME, ZIEGFELD GIRL, FOR ME AND MY GAL, and I COULD GO ON SINGING. Looking forward to all of those. Still no word on EASTER PARADE or THE PIRATE (imagine how fantastic those are going to look on DVD), but those five are still good news indeed.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2003, 02:19:15 PM »

DR Craig wrote:
Ok.. who's the wiseguy that boo'd me? Now I only have 49 posts and can't bring Mark out of the dark (that rhymes AND sounds so Harry Potter)

Was it you or you or you? (a Mary Rodgers reference)

Oy...
Okay am I the only one who finds this just a bit amusing :)

Hey, it wasn't me because I couldn't.

But you know I wouldn't have even if I could've done it!

Well you seem to have 50 again.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 02:21:46 PM by Jennifer »

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2003, 02:22:51 PM »

I karmaed Craig last night when I first read he needed 50, so I couldn't do it again. Glad someone else made up the difference.

Jennifer

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2003, 02:28:39 PM »

isn't it bad luck to see the bride before the wedding? ;)

Ha ha. Yes, this is true.But I think the groom is supposed to have seen you at least once! :)

Btw, what a terrible story about that woman at Walmart. I can see how people standing in line for hours would be obsessed with getting the item that they came for. But to trample a woman knocking her unconscious is crazy.

But to me the worst part was Walmart called her to offer to hold one of the dvds for her. Huh? They should have brought her a whole case of dvd players since it happened on their property. She could sue them.

Matt H.

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2003, 02:34:28 PM »

Speaking of DVD players, I have really been astonished at DVD player prices I've seen this season. I saw one advertised for $29. There would really seem to be no reason any longer for someone who wanted a DVD player not to have one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2003, 02:39:03 PM »

S. Woody - I not only know of the Jean Rochefort film, I have its delightful soundtrack by Vladimir Cosma, a wonderful French composer.  I believe it's an Yves Robert film, the same guy (unless I'm totally mistaken) that did The Tall Blonde Man with One Red Shoe and Salut l'Artiste.

I see fifty karma points for Craig.  I see dead people.  But I do NOT see Mr. Mark Bakalor.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2003, 02:56:54 PM »

Woo hoo!  So where are we going to register?  Hopefully some place that does not sell gourmet pepper (as Noel and Joy can attest is NOT A GOOD WEDDING PRESENT!) :D

Just I attest.  Joy thinks that was a perfectly fine wedding present.  From one of our bridesmaids, in fact.
She's up for the party, so I must join her now.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2003, 03:01:51 PM »

Oh, and I picked up a barrel-full of new DVDs, even though they hadn't gotten in all of the ones I wanted (like Ship of Fools, The Great Gatsby and Alias, second season).  But, I did get Hud, This Property is Condemned, Odds Against Tomorrow, He Walks by Night (great noir), Crime of Passion (low budget Babs Stanwyck, directed by the great Gerd Oswald), To Live and Die in LA, a very early copy of Mr. Donen's Kiss them For Me, and most importantly, Mr. George Axelrod's totally surreal Lord Love a Duck.  

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2003, 03:03:01 PM »

Speaking of BELLS ARE RINGING, with the release of IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU coming up soon, that's only going to leave BELLS ARE RINGING as the only Judy Holliday film not released on DVD. (Wasn't PFFFFFFT! released a year or so ago? I never got it.)

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2003, 03:07:54 PM »

bk, I think I read that SHIP OF FOOLS was going to be a fullframe edition only which made me angry. I think it was filmed at 1.66:1, so even that minimal distortion of the aspect ratio is going to make me mad. GGGGGGGGRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2003, 03:18:01 PM »

I see fifty karma points for Craig.  I see dead people.  But I do NOT see Mr. Mark Bakalor.

I dunno, maybe he's waiting for someone else to take another point away so he can whine some more!

just kidding :)

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2003, 03:22:24 PM »

Nah, I just looked it up. Judy Holliday's 1956 comedy FULL OF LIFE hasn't been released yet either. I always forget that one. I'm not sure I've ever seen the whole thing.

Jennifer

« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2003, 03:22:28 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/29/arts/theater/29DISN.html

Interesting article in the NY Times today about Disney and Broadway. They have 3 new shows: Mary Poppins, Tarzan and Little Mermaid.

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2003, 03:24:02 PM »

Here is the New Year's Eve/ New Year's Day Broadway schedule for DR Emily:

http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/82799.html

Emily

« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2003, 03:27:13 PM »

thanks Jen!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2003, 03:33:12 PM »

Well, I answered another of my own questions. PFFT, Judy Holliday's second comedy with Jack Lemmon, has not yet had a DVD release. So that will leave three of her films not available on DVD once IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU comes out. I has been announced for early next year (I want to say February, but I may have mixed up the dates. I read a lot of upcoming announcements this morning.)

Jennifer

« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2003, 03:43:56 PM »

Hey DR Emily: I want to order something from amazon.fr. Do you know how I could get a $5 off coupon from them? :)

Jennifer

« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2003, 03:45:47 PM »

Hey everybody look!  It's NewYorkMayaPapaya!

Hi Maya!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2003, 03:48:21 PM »

Hey, everyone!  Here I am at the EasyInternetCafe on 42nd Street after having seen Wonderful Town and fulfilling a long-time dream of mine...eating at SARDI'S (which was too cool for words, if not easy on my mom's wallet)!  There were tentative plans to meet up with Emily's fiancee, but he had to work later than he thought he would, so I will be demanding a raincheck, Craig, next time I am up here!  

Hmm....I want to wait on giving my Wonderful Town review until I've seen Nine (which will happen in about an hour and a half now), so I can comment on both!

I've scanned through the last few day's posts, and am just very grateful that things were resolved and that Mark is still an Administrator after all.  Conflicts do happen between people, but being able to resolve them in a mature manner is not always the easiest thing.  I love this site and I love the people here, even if we don't always agree on every little thing.  I really do hope that things are okay now, and that we can not only return to the status quo, but forge better bonds than ever before.  

Hmmm...favorite French films...Les Parapluies de Cherbourg, Amélie, Jules et Jim, Pierre le Fou, Les Enfants du Paradis, La Belle et le Bete, 8 Femmes, La Cage aux Folles and probably many that I'm forgetting!!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 04:15:02 PM by Maya »

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2003, 03:51:03 PM »

Hi to you too, Jennifer!  :D

Danise

« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2003, 04:19:43 PM »

SwishySarah–I LOVED your bug poem.  I used to love the fire flies  but then  we got the stupid love bugs (if you don’t know what they are, believe me, you don’t want to know) so they started spraying for them.  Did it kill the love bugs?  No.  Did it kill the fire flies?  Yes.  Breaks my heart.

I would like to offer my services as photographer for the upcoming wedding.  I have a digital camera and work for cheep, cheep, cheep.  Price of plane ticket, room & board–I’ll even sleep in the closet.  

DearReaderLaura:

Your so right about those new blow up lawn ornaments.  I think they look so horrible.   I give kuddos to those who can come up with something ORIGINAL.    

I heard about that poor lady and the DVD player on the news.  I'm showing my age here but does anyone remember when some other woman got her arm broke trying to get a cabbage patch doll for her kid's Christmas?  I wonder if it was worth it.

I also want to make a small correction to something I said --Craig, I hope you weren't offended when I said the board misses her Daddy.  I meant no slight to you, your doing a fine job of it.  

Thanks again for the discount code.  If you only knew.  I had the DVD's I ordered in my hand at Best Buy and something made me put them back.  I'm so glad I did.

D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2003, 04:20:04 PM »

My mom and I are off to the Eugene O'Neill Theatre...(only 7 blocks filled with impenetrable swarms of people to walk!)

I just wanted to say goodnight to everyone!

I should be home by tomorrow evening to post!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up