Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALIVE AND KICKIN'  (Read 16369 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ALIVE AND KICKIN'
« on: January 21, 2006, 12:34:39 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes are alive and kickin', and now it's time for you to post until the kickin' cows come home.  They're currently doing high kicks in anticipation of doing a cow version of the Rockettes.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 12:26:18 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ALIVE AND KICKIN'
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 12:36:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: BRAVADO!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 12:37:46 AM »

Welcome five GUESTS!  We're talkin' about cut songs and great songs from flop shows.  Join us.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 01:02:49 AM »

I've always been partial to "Two Fairy Tales" that was cut from A Little Night Music and "Love Is In the Air," cut from Forum.  I have actually used "Love Is In the Air" in a couple of auditions.  It's a perfect song (in my humble opinion) for The Boy Friend (I was cast as Lord Brockhurst after using this song). :) It has the line:  "Some are hasty, some are halting, Some are simply somersaulting" and coicidentally, the choreographer actually had Maisie doing a somersault with the boys...but not because of my auditioning with the song.  It was a lot of fun. ;D

« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 01:03:44 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 03:15:48 AM »

Cut songs:  "Sweet River" from "110 in the Shade" and "Mama's Talkng Soft" from "Gypsy".  I knew the latter as sung by Petula Clark long before I was familiar with the score of the musical.

Before the wonderful "Lost in Boston" series I learned and enjoyed much from the Ben Bagley albums.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 03:17:33 AM »

I fell for the charm of "Bride and Prejudice" this evening.  I may revisit some of MBarnum's CD compilations tomorrow.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 04:54:04 AM »

DR MattH, I loved the PACIFIER. :)  I thought it was so cute!  Definitely fluff.  But sweet.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 04:58:43 AM »

Good morning, all!  I see a new name this morning, so welcome, DR (Dear Reader) Gooie!  Tell us all about yourself.  

I watched, and should have taped for Charlotte, the Disney Channel's HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL, which struck me as a first draft needed a few rewrites before filming, but since I support the Promotion and Encouragement Of New Musical Theatre Audiences, I thank the Disney Channel for promoting a new musical for young viewers.

I'm going to Toyland this morning, and then I have a dance piece to work on for the Men's Chorus.

TOD:  I loved Ben Bagley!  He always made me laugh, and he had great anecdotes.  Arthur Siegel was one of my favorite people as well, and he and Ben in the studio were like a more neurotic version of our BK and Vinny.  Mayble like a cross between BK and Vinny and The Bickersons.  Ben was very cheap, which made him a lousy record producer by the time I knew him, and he had very low standards on his later recordings.   That said, I loved his earlier Revisiteds and Norman Paris' orchestrations.  Ben's first Rodgers & Hart Revisited is still one of my favorite albums

I'm too close to the Unsung Musicals and Lost in Bostons to be objective, but I can tell you which cut songs on Lost in Boston caught my imagination or moved me the first time I heard them:
  SWEETRIVER
  WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?
  COME DOWN FROM THE TREE
  JUST A MAP

I'm fond of a lot of the songs on all four Lost in Boston discs, and I'm quite proud of my involvement with them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 06:34:45 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 06:33:41 AM »

I forgot to mention my wonderful dinner last night with DRs FJL, Ginny and Ginny's DH Richard.   We all met at Artie's at 6:00, had a wonderful dinner, and DR FJL provided wonderful anniversary gifts, sparkling company, and picked up the tab!  I was happy to be the tax deduction, but happier to be in such sparkling company.

And now, to Toyland.  I've been away all week and I need to do some edits.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 07:38:04 AM »

Bravado - that is the name of my new musical.  Then of course, half of the songs will be cut and it will become a fable with music.  And then the rest of the songs will be cut and it will become a play.

Bravado - that is the name of my new play.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 07:38:21 AM »

Congrats on the Disney Channel gig!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 07:38:40 AM »

Well from cut songs - I only know from Mr BK's albums, so I will say:

NEW WORDS.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 07:39:13 AM »

Songs from flop musicals, I don't much from either, but I will say:

Sad Was the Day from DONNYBROOK!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 07:42:15 AM »

Good morning!

We've got a rainy, overcast day but with very mild temperatures which should continue throughout the day. TOmorrow is supposed to be much colder.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 07:44:23 AM »

Favorite song from a flop musical (ignoring Sondheim musicals which had long runs but didn't turn a profit in their initial productions) would be "When the Tall Man Talks" from WHOOP-UP. I just love that song.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 07:46:29 AM »

Yes, DR Jennifer, I will ignore the reviews that I read for THE PACIFIER and see what enjoyment I can squeeze out of it. Seeing a big lug trying to deal with household duties could be funny.

And HOSTAGE, the Bruce Willis-starrer which also got bad reviews and didn't do much in theaters, might be better than folks have given it credit for being, too.

At any rate, since I have STARZ and I never saw these movies in the theater, why not give them a try?

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 07:47:42 AM »

I really need to revisit the LOST IN BOSTON CDs. I loved them all, but haven't been back to them in quite a while. Then, I'd be better able to answer the other part of the topic of the day.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 07:48:35 AM »

Of course, "Water Under the Bridge," which never saw the light of a movie screen, remains my all-time favorite "lost" song.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 07:52:03 AM »

With nothing on TV tonight of any interest to me, I am sure I'm going to delve into one of those two STARZ movies today and possibly a DVD movie tonight as well. Just have to decide what.

And those SUPERMAN episodes await me, too. "Jet Ace" is up next, one of my favorites. Love Lane Bradford playing test pilot nephew of Perry White, Chris White.

Lane made several appearances on SUPERMAN, but he was usually a villain. Nice to see him playing the hero for a change.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 07:52:32 AM by Matt H. »

Michael

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 07:57:03 AM »

Favorite Songs From Flops
Disneyland (Smile)
Sherry!
New Words (1,2,3,4,5)
Smashing New York Times (A Broadway Musical)
The Kid Inside

Cut Songs:
Come Down From This Tree (Once On This Island)
Who Gave You Premisison (Ballroom)
When I Went Home (Peter Pan)
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 08:08:13 AM »

Off to work.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 08:09:26 AM »

Robert Armin who used to contribute here; reworked the musical. "What Makes Sammy Run?". It has had another production Off-Broadway and here is a link to the reviews,

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/ob/01_20_06.html

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/7510
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 09:12:14 PM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 08:20:03 AM »

DR BK:

I see the annual STAGE concert is being performed in March. Any chance Kritzerland will record it?
Never stop dreaming.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 08:30:48 AM »

Howdy, folks.

Re: less-than-flattering reviews... I scan them for nice bits I can use in publicity, and throw the rest away. Then I re-read every nice word, over and over, with immense admiration for the intelligence, perception and clarity of writers who are able to appreciate my work. My ex, who was an exceptionally fine singer, NEVER read ANY reviews, and would not permit ANYONE to read or even speak of his reviews in his presence. He stayed nearly sane with this strategy...

Okay, favorite songs from "flops" (by the way, Harold Prince says there are "Hits and Flops" which have nothing to do with "Successes and Failures"... ponder that) would have to include "Stay With Me, Nora" sung by Peter Gallagher in A DOLL'S LIFE, music by Larry Grossman, words by Comden and Green. A soaring, heavenly melody to poignant and heart-rending lyrics. Directed by the aforementioned Mr. Prince.
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2006, 08:31:38 AM »

Off to get started prepping lunch and doing some other miscellaneous chores.

WBBL.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006, 08:33:03 AM »

How happy I am for you about the disney gig, Bruce! And that it comes right when your new show is opening is a great synchronicity. Another brilliant Hal Prince habit: On the morning of an Opening Night, he has a production meeting for the next piece he's working on. Pass or Fail, he has moved on by the time the critics see what's behind him...
PennyO

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2006, 08:57:45 AM »

Good Morning!

Just been taking my time this morning.  Some stretching.  Some yoga.  Some breakfast - I actually sat down at the table with my parents which I haven't done in a while.  *And as I walked into the kitchen, my Mom greeted me with, "Oh, you look good.  What are your down to now?  [waist size]"  That was a very nice way to start the day.

And now I need to get ready for today's show.  And I have a couple of friends coming in to see the show today too.  -Should be a nice between-show dinner.

Well... And I'll have to think about cut and lost songs... but the ones that come immediately to mind are:

"New Words"
"I Wanna Go Home" - Which was cut from big for the post-Broadway tour, but, I believe, it has been reinstated now.

...And does anyone know if "Not Meg" from Damn Yankees has ever been recorded?  *My apologies if it actually appears on one of the "Lost in Boston" albums.

;)

OK - Gotta run...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2006, 09:08:02 AM »

Hmmm...was BOMBAY DREAMS  flop musical? I liked some songs from that one.

I don't know from cut songs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2006, 09:20:56 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

I dare say that the Lost In Boston series would not be what it is without elmore's work.

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2006, 09:52:32 AM »

Well, it is 9:50 am and I am the only one in the jernt. That is most unseemly, isn't it.

Tonight my buddies Ron and Patrick, and James (without Mark, who is in Seattle on business) will go to the Elsinore Theater to see Bea Arthur's show. This is the show that was cancelled last October due to Ms. Arthur's illness...but now she is back, and better then before!

James is very excited as he is a huge fan of THE GOLDEN GIRLS.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up