Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: IN A STATE  (Read 29533 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:IN A STATE
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2006, 07:23:11 AM »

Reading the geographical discussion from DRS CILLALIZ and DAKOTA CELT reminded me of this shocking and X-rated newspaper headline:

NEWLYWEDS LEAVE DAVENPORT FOR HOT SPRINGS
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2006, 07:24:19 AM »

DR MATTH - I have the Golden Boy LP - had it for YEARS - but have never listened to all of it.  If I can find someone who can put it on cassette for you, I will make you a copy.  I will keep you posted.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2006, 07:26:16 AM »

Frances Farmer - Broadway Golden Boy Page Two Dance!

Looks like they might be ice dancing!  ;D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2006, 07:38:57 AM »

Good morning!

It's cold here, but not ridiculously cold, and very overcast (but I'm starting to see some blue peep through the clouds). We didn't get the bad weather they had predicted. Actually, no precipitation at all here. The mountains were supposed to get snow again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2006, 07:41:19 AM »

DR MATTH - I have the Golden Boy LP - had it for YEARS - but have never listened to all of it.  If I can find someone who can put it on cassette for you, I will make you a copy.  I will keep you posted.

Thanks, DR JRand. Be sure it's the one with Sammy Davis' raspy vocals. I have the reissue with his redone vocals on both LP and CD.

I wouldn't want you to go to any trouble for no good reason. Thanks.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2006, 07:41:56 AM »

And speaking of Broadway cast albums, my BAKER STREET CD hasn't arrived yet! Good lord, what's keeping it?

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2006, 07:48:56 AM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES spoiler - - - -

Yes, DR TPunk, I think Bree's plight is interesting and certainly dramatic. I just felt that first incident, with her passed out on her lawn and her son being typically mean to her, was played for laughs, and I just didn't find her predicament funny. Kids can be cruel to their parents (and Andrew has certainly measured up to that description in numerous ways over the last year and a half), but something about it just struck me as a cheap laugh about something deadly earnest.

But the show is called DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, and I guess they need to keep the ladies in various stages of desperation to earn that title.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2006, 07:51:13 AM »

I just read a review of the new LADY AND THE TRAMP DVD coming out next week. Was the original Cinemascope film actually made with only mono sound? I didn't know that!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2006, 07:55:04 AM »

DR MATTH - what is the LP number of the reissue - just to make sure I don't have the same one....mine is on Capital.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2006, 07:55:17 AM »

DRMBARNUM - what about THE SECOND GREATEST SEX?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2006, 08:05:15 AM »

The Second Greatest Sex...sounds like the title of a Whitney Houston power ballad.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2006, 08:05:49 AM »

Time to get ready for work...Later.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2006, 08:10:51 AM »

DR MATTH - what is the LP number of the reissue - just to make sure I don't have the same one....mine is on Capital.

They're all on Capitol.

The originals were VAS-2124 and SVAS-2124 (mono and stereo)

The reissue was STAO-11655

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2006, 08:12:35 AM »

For fans of HOUSE, don't forget that a new episode is coming on tonight at 8 (rather than tomorrow night when it's preempted by the two hour AMERICAN IDOL semifinal round).

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2006, 08:14:18 AM »

And for those who like COURTING ALEX, I guess you read that CBS is moving it and OUT OF PRACTICE (the show it temporarily replaced) to WEdnesday nights at 8 and 8;30 starting next month. They will replace YES DEAR and STILL STANDING whose seasons will have ended.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2006, 08:15:15 AM »

Well, at least one of my friends that I normally have lunch with on Mondays is NOT at home babysitting his children, so we will be able to have lunch today!

I guess I need to get up from here and head down in order to clean up a bit before heading out for lunch.

WBBL.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2006, 08:38:17 AM »

I posted about the Kritzer books on the Cinema Treasures site, on the pages of several of the movie theaters that appear within the books.  Well, Benjamin Kritzer went from being number 1,200,000 in the sales rank to number 69,000 in the sales rank.  Quite a nice little jump.

Good idea bk!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2006, 08:42:14 AM »

DR JRand55, THE SECOND GREATEST SEX is on tap for today. I was planning to watch it last night but then realized I was using the VCR to tape some stuff...so had to watch a DVD..Bollywood DVD of course.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2006, 08:44:17 AM »

First R rated movie was probably something along the lines of SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE or another of those early 1980s teen horror films.

First X rate movie, I believe, was WANDA WHIPS WALL STREET starring Veronica Hart, who I had seen on the Phil Donahue show a few years earlier and became fascinated with.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2006, 08:44:44 AM »

Re: last night's Olympics Ice Dance competition.

I love Ice Dancing. If done well it's my favorite of all figure skating.  But last night was a disaster.  I'm glad they've changed the scoring system, so it's not pre-determined who will win.  But what I saw last night was extremely unimpressive.

First off, I don't think I've ever seen someone fall in Ice Dance. But last night at least 3 or 4 teams fell.

Second, DR Jose, I know exactly what you mean about the stare. OMG, that italian woman (they were leading) was vicious. Although her partner probably deserved it.

I was really heartbroken that the Canadian team fell, since I"m sure they would have been in the top 3. They were truly my favorites.  Their fall was really bad (since they were doing a difficult lift). It wasn't the man's fault (she lost her grip on his arm while in the air). But they've been showing it a lot on tv here.  And they are not sure if she will be able to skate.

I was not impressed with the russians now in 1st. I watched them without knowing where they were from or what place they were in, and I think that gave me a very unbiased view.  I thought their unison was really poor (they replayed it and it was completely off). I thought their routine was not inspired. I thought their lifts were not that difficult or interesting. And I found they were skating so far apart. That is key for me. I like them to be so close (that's what makes it difficult).  Anyhow the announcers on CBC said after how great they were (no mistakes). But later they had someone review it and she was going through the mistakes. So at least i'm not crazy.

I did not like the italians that fell either (formerly in 1st). He was not a very good skater and had problems keeping up with her. Plus they skated very far apart.

I guess my favorites were the Canadian/American (skating for US) team. My gosh she has long legs. They were good, although really not as good as I remember past Ice Dancers as being.

Anyhow i'm looking forward to watching the rest. I really hope the Montreal woman is okay.

DR Jennifer, I saw the rebroadcast in the overnight hours and I have to agree with you on several points...

1. The Canadian/American pair of Belbin / Agosto was good..

2. That look that woman gave.... OUCH!!!

3. I also hope that the Canadian pair is okay. I had seen them skate before on the telly and I liked their routines in the past...

4. I also agree that some of the skating was uninspired. No electricity in the couples like you have seen in the past.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2006, 08:48:46 AM »

DR Dakotacelt - I'm not THAT far from you. We have lutefisk here too - and lots of Norwegians as well.  I like it baked not boiled with lots of boiled potatoes and butter

DR Cilla, perhaps we can meet up someday...

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2006, 08:59:51 AM »

Monday greetings!  Back from my overnight with Mom (Yes, DR TCB, we are very lucky still to have both mothers).  Her tests at the hospital went smoothly and afterwards she wanted to go to her favorite bakery (Central Pastry, Middletown, OH).  She's probably had her coffee and danish and is taking a nap.  I'm home catching up on last night's posts and trying to figure out the rest of my day off.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2006, 09:02:48 AM »

Thanks DRMATT....I will check my LP later today...I am thinking it is the reissue because I think it's an STAO number, but I am not sure.  Time will tell.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2006, 09:14:17 AM »

And for those who like COURTING ALEX, I guess you read that CBS is moving it and OUT OF PRACTICE (the show it temporarily replaced) to WEdnesday nights at 8 and 8;30 starting next month. They will replace YES DEAR and STILL STANDING whose seasons will have ended.

I didn't know about this. What will they put on Mondays? I think that COURTING ALEX really needed the 2 1/2 MEN lead in.   Anyhow is the episode tonight new or a repeat? (or not on). It's listed in my tv guide.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2006, 09:15:41 AM »

Thanks for the DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES spoiler alerts. I have not watched last night's show yet, but will watch it tonight.

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2006, 09:15:55 AM »

Last night, my mom had gone to bed before NBC got around to showing the last group of ice dancers.  The way I yelled when the Canadian woman fell on her hip, Mom thought someone had broken in and was beating me up  :-X
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2006, 09:24:40 AM »

I didn't know about this. What will they put on Mondays? I think that COURTING ALEX really needed the 2 1/2 MEN lead in.   Anyhow is the episode tonight new or a repeat? (or not on). It's listed in my tv guide.

I think this is a lousy time period for both shows. They're both sophisticated enough to be 9:30 shows, not 8 p.m. comedies. I think OUT OF PRACTICE is going in at 8 and ALEX at 8:30 if I read correctly.

The new Julia Louis-Dreyfus comedy is going into that protected hammock between TWO AND A HALF MEN and CSI: MIAMI. I haven't much liked the previews of that new show that I've seen, but I've read a couple of critics who have seen some episodes and say it's good.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2006, 09:25:26 AM »

Oh, COURTING ALEX tonight is a rerun of the pilot episode.

Cillaliz

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2006, 09:26:15 AM »

Reading the geographical discussion from DRS CILLALIZ and DAKOTA CELT reminded me of this shocking and X-rated newspaper headline:

NEWLYWEDS LEAVE DAVENPORT FOR HOT SPRINGS

Or better yet, when couple from the towns of Manly and Fertile were married

MANLY MAN MARRIES FERTILE WOMAN

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2006, 09:27:24 AM »

Actually, no precipitation at all here.

Nor here. Something like 122 days now.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up