Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: IN A STATE  (Read 29614 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:IN A STATE
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2006, 01:13:32 PM »

Please DR Matt, tell me that this is the end of both series, and not just the end of their seasons!

I would say that the decision to renew them will be based on how OUT OF PRACTICE and COURTING ALEX do in these timeslots. If there is a significent improvement from the ratings those other two shows generated, then most certainly CBS will end them. On the other hand, I think they have KING OF QUEENS, YES DEAR, and STILL STANDING, all of which are on the bubble and probably not all will be renewed for next year, but they're going to keep the ones that rate the highest in these early slots. I think OUT OF PRACTICE is far superior to any of the others in quality, but CBS is only interested in ratings, and to the victor goes the renewal.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2006, 01:14:37 PM »

Good Afternoon!

-I would wish Good Morning greetings to the West Coast contingent, but since it's already Afternoon there too...

;)

I ended up staying in bed until 2:00... Just felt tired.  Actually, I've also been feeling something going on in my sinuses and throat the past few days, and it feels like it felt when I would get chronic low-level ear infections... I never felt any pain in my ears, but my sinuses and throat would get a little sore... So... I was always advised to rest as much as I could when I got them, so... Just playing it safe.  However, I'm pretty sure the rather rapid return to winter weather has also contributed to my possible malady.

I am feeling better this afternoon, but if I happen to still feel a little "off" when I get up tomorrow morning, I may try to sneak in a visit to my doctor/uncle before heading back up to NYC.

GOOD HEALTH VIBES, JOSE!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2006, 01:15:53 PM »

Page Four SLEEPING BEAUTY Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2006, 01:16:20 PM »

Feel better, DR Jose!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2006, 01:17:07 PM »

I see many many people but I do not see many many posts.  Perhaps a nice group bitch-slapping from here to eternity and hell and back would get people off their butt cheeks, especially that bad boy William F. Orr who's been here for hours and hasn't posted.  Don't make me come over there.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2006, 01:17:59 PM »

Speaking of illness, my fella started out with a cold and sniffles about 10 days ago. He pushed himself to go to work and not miss any days plus continuing to do his very active volunteer work as a museum tour guide and volunteer at a community theater.

He now has a full blown case of the flu and is very sick. Of course, he DID take a flu shot this year. Just goes to show what overwork and not getting enough rest will do to you!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2006, 01:19:20 PM »

DR elmore - Sorry about your troubles with the cabaret singer.  :-\

And, yes, alas, unfortunately, 1099s have a later deadline than W-2s.  Most companies will send them out by January 31 since their computers will just print them out with their W-2s, but then there are others...

I also believe that one can file a tax return without an actual copy of a 1099 - or at least it was that way at one point and time.  -Maybe DR FJL can confirm or deny this.  There was one year I had lots of 1099 income, and my accountant just ended up doing a listing on a separate piece of paper with the companies and amounts, and sent that in with the return.  As long as she and/or I had a copy of the 1099 or at least proof of the income, that's all that was needed (since no taxes were withheld, they fall low on the government's tracking list, so to speak.)  -At least that's what I told at the time... And since I was not audited...

Well, at least for amounts lower than $600... But..

OK.. I'll stop rambling and digging this hole now...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2006, 01:20:10 PM »

Lunch ran very long this afternoon (driver had several errands to run while we were out), so I only had time to dub a DVD for a new acquaintance. One down one to go of the dubs that I must get done today so they can get mailed tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2006, 01:21:31 PM »

I did manage to watch about 20 more minutes on the Barbara Cook/Bell Telephone Hour DVD. Quality of the excerpts isn't great, but I'm just delighted they still had this material. Many of the TONIGHT shows from the same period were erased by NBC, so I'm surprised they hung on to these old tapes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2006, 01:21:56 PM »

Awww... You guys are the best.  Thanks for the Good Health and Feel Better Vibes.  I'm actually feeling OK.  Just being cautious that's all.  However, if I'm feeling sub-par tomorrow morning.... Well... Vibe Away!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2006, 01:23:59 PM »

I think the first X-rated film I saw was Russ Meyer's film VIXEN, which I saw surprisingly enough at a drive-in in Ellensburg, Washington.

Ahh yes, the old Ellen Drive-In.  How I wish it were still there.  Sadly that land is now filled with some condos for residents age 55+, as well as a little complex of offices containing a doctor or two, a chiropractor, and some school district offices (that's what was there about a year ago, anyway).
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2006, 01:25:43 PM »

The friend who drove today started having sniffles and a cough over the weekend, too. There seems to be something in the wind (a Deanna Durbin reference).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2006, 01:30:01 PM »

The friend who drove today started having sniffles and a cough over the weekend, too. There seems to be something in the wind (a Deanna Durbin reference).

Good Lord!  Maybe we should call you Typhoid Matt!
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2006, 01:31:31 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I was going to say "Jaws", but according to the IMDB, it's only a PG.  Then I was going to say "Orca", but, again, just PG.

Then I realized that I'm pretty sure my parents would not have taken me and my brothers to an R-rated movie - and I remember seeing both "Jaws" and "Orca" at a drive-in movie with my parents.  So...

I guess the first R-rated movies I can recall seeing would be ones I saw while I was in high school.  And I watched them in class.  And this was in a Catholic High School too!  I remember watching "Ordinary People" in Father Luis Valdivieso's Sociology Class, and "Apocalypse Now" in AP English - with a nun in the room!

Hmmm... Now I'm wondering if "Ordinary People" was released today if it would still receive and R rating?  Hmm..
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2006, 01:32:39 PM »

DR elmore - Sorry about your troubles with the cabaret singer.  

And you know who this is!  All that nachtmusik!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2006, 01:38:04 PM »

Mission Figs & China Gunpowder.

That is the name of my new novel.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2006, 01:42:09 PM »

...But I do remember some of the hushed conversations that my parents would have with my adult relatives and their friends after they had seen a movie that they did not take me and my brothers to.  I specifically remember them trying not to talk about "The Exorcist" in front of me and my brothers.

We were living in Seattle at the time, and my aunt, Tess, was staying with us at the time.  My parents saw the movie one night while my aunt was the babysitter, and then my aunt saw it another night while my parents stayed home.  I remember her being sort of freaked out, but didn't know why.  And there were a few times when I would walk into the living room and they - my parents and my aunt - would stop talking...  Hmm...  Eventually, my aunt told me she had seen the movie.  At that time, I didn't really know anything about it, so I just figured it was an "adult" thing and left it at that.  However, a couple of years later when I found out what all the fuss was about, well...  Ah!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2006, 01:42:46 PM »

And you know who this is!  All that nachtmusik!

Preaching to the choir!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2006, 01:45:40 PM »

Back from my jaunt to Wall Street.  I was literally a block from Ground Zero, so I walked over in search of a subway on my return, took my first look at where the Trade Center once stood, burst into tears and left.  

I'm so glad this happened after my meeting.

I remember driving up to NYC a few months after 9/11 with some friends...  Seeing the WTC was always the sign that I was very close to The City...  It truly was a different landscape, different skyline...  And still is.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 01:52:02 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2006, 01:46:33 PM »

Of all the cars I have seen, I wish I had a 1958 Chrysler Imperial convertible.  *sigh*

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2006, 01:48:01 PM »

I shall now be on my way to listen to some tapes, and then to have dinner with Miss Tammy Minoff, after which I shall return.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2006, 01:50:50 PM »

Now, as for X-rated movies... Hmm...  Let's just say my father did not hide his video tapes very well from me and my very curious brothers.  Oh, and my cousin, Alex, was quite the "adult" at age 14, and he managed to have some films on 8mm, and would show them to his friends in his bedroom.

And then he also managed to de-scramble some of the adult channels on the cable system.  And there were those inevitable evenings spent watching the scrambled transmissions while hoping for a few moments of clarity every now and then.

HA!  Boy were we immature!

*Of course, after a while, I realized I was not being entertained by the women in those movies...

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2006, 01:53:46 PM »

Back from my jaunt to Wall Street.  I was literally a block from Ground Zero, so I walked over in search of a subway on my return, took my first look at where the Trade Center once stood, burst into tears and left.  

I'm so glad this happened after my meeting.

When I lived in New Jersey, the WTC was the last thing I saw at night before I fell asleep, and it was the first thing I saw in the morning when I opened my eyes.  Well, most mornings!  I have not been back to New York since 9/11, so I still don't know how I will react.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2006, 01:57:26 PM »

DR ELMORE - I think the next time I get to NYC, I will feel the same way.

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2006, 01:58:36 PM »

The lutefisk or the Norwegians?

Depends on the day and the Norwegian

Ginny

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2006, 02:04:19 PM »

When I'm sitting here at my home computer, just to my left is my WTC "triptych," a 3-photo frame that contains 3 photos that I took of the lower Manhattan skyline :  Before (1967), taken from the Staten Island Ferry; During (1999), taken from the Statue of Liberty boat; and After (2004), taken from the Staten Island Ferry.  Helps me keep things in perspective.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2006, 02:04:19 PM »

Concerned Clergy wants Perry Meridian High School to cancel its production of RAGTIME because it contains the "n" word.  Concerned Clergy said that asked the school to change the word (which of course contractually, they CAN'T do).

The Superintendant of the school system says the play will go on.  The Concerned Clergy will stage protests when the play opens on Thursday.

I only know that the bit of rehearsal they showed featured hip hop choreography and some inarticulate spokespeople from the cast....I think they may have been speaking English, but I'm not sure.

More when it becomes available.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2006, 02:06:02 PM »

The question is, DRJOSE - where is cousin Alex today?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2006, 02:09:27 PM »

MR BK did you send my PDF file?  It's not like you have ANYTHING else to do. :)

Ginny

« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2006, 02:11:15 PM »

TOD - I never saw Deep Throat, but one of the first local news stories I remember from when I moved to SW Ohio was the Hamilton County authorities agonizing over whether or not that movie was obscene.  The sheriff and his deputies had to go see the film and then - just to be absolutely sure -

they had to go see it again  :o
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 02:13:31 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up