Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS  (Read 21155 times)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2003, 09:49:50 AM »

Ann--I forgot to congratulate you!  I'm glad the recital went so well!

Dr. Maya: NKOTB: I loved them, adored them, had the dolls even ! Didn't like Jordon's rattail so I cut it off:)

But let me tell you, Barbie was much happier with them than with Ken!

60s and 70s? I was pretty much born mid 80s!

LOL...ya know...one of my girlhood friends had a crush on Danny.  I never understood it...I thought he looked like a monkey.  

Did Ken beat up all the NKOTB dolls for macking on his woman?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2003, 09:50:29 AM »

And congratulations to Tom From Oz on scooping Ann's announcement that her recital had been a success, and then for later following up with another announcement after-the-fact.

There is a huge mystery surrounding TomFromOz and we are starting to think he may be a time traveler!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 09:50:57 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2003, 09:53:33 AM »

I also really wanted to give DR Ann happy thoughts about her recital. But I cannot remember if I did. So if I didn't: HAPPY THOUGHTS FOR ANN.

And hi: Maya, Andrea, Jose, Ron, Jay and JRand!

Danise

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2003, 10:07:38 AM »

S. Woody White said:

On a less frivolous note, I went to see my new shrink today. (A necessity, since he's the one writing the scrip for the meds.) Nice fellow, I like him. But it seems strange to have a shrink who is clearly younger than myself!

At times it does seem like something is wrong with the world.  All those years of everyone being older than me and all of a sudden it seems in reverse.  People younger than me doing things I envy.  How did that happen?

I still remember the first time I got called Miss. Or Ma’am.   It was a shock–still shocks me .  I still say “Sir” or “Ma’am” to the check out counter  people at the grocery story and some of them are clearly only in their teens.   I don’t expect to be called Miss or Ma’am.  That's for a grown lady.   :)

Once you move into the 70's I remember more – David Cassidy, Bobby Sherman, the Osmonds–even then I had a “thing” for older men.  I didn’t want Donny–I wanted Alan the older Osmond.  I think he was 23 at the time.

I was also in love with Errol Flynn only to find he died about year before I was born.  Broke my heart that did.  I so wanted to grow up and marry him.  Sigh. But there were other loves waiting–Harrison Ford (Who I am proud to say I picked out the moment I saw him in American Graffiti as someone to watch) and now the 3 Michaels.

JRand said:
And what else is this at broadwayworld.com? Why it's a journal of a cast member of a Broadway show! DejaVu for HHW readers!

Yes, but remember, this really isn’t a first for one of Robs boards.  The same was done for DOTV on the fan site last year.

Warm vibes to everyone!  I'm sorry but I hate winter.  I hate being cold.  I can handle the heat far better.

Just got a post card in the mail with an ad for some Audio books featuring James Marsters ( "Spike" from  Buffy & Angel), eh) & Jason Carter ("Marcus Cole" from Babylon 5.  Purr).  Will have to check at least one of them out.
 ;D
D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 10:08:18 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2003, 10:14:22 AM »

Hey re: yesterday's mention that everyday is Queen for a Day at HHW:

You guys are very funny.

BUT, I meant we should have Queen for a Day for the women of HHW who don't get to be Queens everyday :)

Do you mean to tell us that being a Drama PRINCESS isn't enough for you???????
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 10:18:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2003, 10:17:42 AM »

Something really weird just happened. I was trying to give someone karma.  I clicked on "applaud" (and forgot to check how much karma they had), but after I did it, the "boo" feature was highlighted.

I am so sorry, if I accidently booed someone. When I am allowed to give karma again, I will just in case.

Oh and btw, it is freaking freezing here.  It's currently
-8C.  ButI don't even want to guess what it is with the windchill.  Brrrrr.  Send warm vibes please!

I am pretty sure you can UN-DO it, Jennifer.  Just go back and click on applaud...and you should see the Karma point restored.

Andrea

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2003, 10:20:07 AM »

Ann--I forgot to congratulate you!  I'm glad the recital went so well!LOL...ya know...one of my girlhood

Did Ken beat up all the NKOTB dolls for macking on his woman?

Actually.. I was so enamoured of Joe, that after my ken broke, I never got another one

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2003, 10:32:39 AM »

Please forgive spelling errors, my cold has turned into walking pneumonia.

BK – I agree with MBarnum.   I don’t know if you were kidding or not about a recording with that group of talent, but I would love to see you do it.  It would be great.

Heartthrobs, heartthrobs, heartthrobs!  So many throbs, so little time.  Brian Kelly was definitely a 10.  Chuck Conners was also on the top of the list.  Also, Doug McClure, James Drury, Robert Horton, Vince Edwards, and especially Denny Miller.  Didn’t someone mention that they knew Denny Miller?  What a hottie.

And, although he wasn’t a star of the 50s or 60s, Bruce Springsteen in his Dancing in the Dark video was damn near perfection.

Oh yeah, and what was the name of that hunk from The First Nudie Musical?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2003, 10:33:18 AM »

I am pretty sure you can UN-DO it, Jennifer.  Just go back and click on applaud...and you should see the Karma point restored.

I thought you can only give or take karma to a person once every 3 days?

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2003, 10:36:40 AM »

Jennifer wrote:
BUT, I meant we should have Queen for a Day for the women of HHW who don't get to be Queens everyday

Do you mean to tell us that being a Drama PRINCESS isn't enough for you???????

Ha ha. Very funny.  I like being a princess! :)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2003, 10:48:15 AM »

I thought you can only give or take karma to a person once every 3 days?

TRY it!  You can only give or take Karma every three days...but I think you can take back, or undo, a mistake.

TRY IT!  Go back to the person you mistakenly "booed" and click on "applaud" and see if the karma doesn't get restored.  That "undoes" your boo.  

I don't know if you can give another karma after that, but I think you can at least restore what was taken if you are the one who took it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 10:49:50 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2003, 10:55:27 AM »

Thanks DR Danise.  I read about that when I saw the WONDERFUL TOWN journal, but didn't know about it before.   That's just what DOTV needed - a little bit of internet buzz!  :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 10:56:00 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2003, 10:56:25 AM »

TRY it!  You can only give or take Karma every three days...but I think you can take back, or undo, a mistake.

TRY IT!  Go back to the person you mistakenly "booed" and click on "applaud" and see if the karma doesn't get restored.  That "undoes" your boo.  

I don't know if you can give another karma after that, but I think you can at least restore what was taken if you are the one who took it.

Well of course I tried it :)

It wouldn't let me. So either I did really "applaud" the first time. Or else you cannot restore if you made a mistake.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2003, 11:01:59 AM »

Wasn't Zorah Lampert in "Splendor in the Grass"?

And as for "Dancing in the Dark" I'll take Fred and Cyd's version over Bruce Springstein's any day.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2003, 11:15:49 AM »

Well as busy as I am with work - there are some definite fun moments here..  For example - I just had the pleasure of talking to, and seeing DION (of DION and the Bellmonts fame) perform in our space.  Last week MOBY was here for a party.  You just never know who's going to walk though the doors here!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2003, 11:16:26 AM »

TCB - watch your tape!

DR Craig obviously does not work for state government.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 11:17:14 AM by JRand53 »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2003, 11:25:30 AM »

Craig,  You got to meet Dion. Wow!  I loved him with or without the Belmonts.  Great doo-wop stuff.  Lovers Who Wander, Donna the Prima donna, the Majestic, Little Diane, Teenager in Love,  scads of others...

William E. Lurie

« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2003, 11:28:41 AM »

Attention Judy Garland Fans

In April (exact date not announced yet), Warner Home Video is releasing 5 of Judy's films on DVD for the first time.

The crown jewel will be a 2 disc
MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS with many extras.  Also being released are

FOR ME AND MY GAL

IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME

LOVE FINDS ANDY HARDY

ZIEGFELD GIRL

« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 11:38:44 AM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2003, 11:44:52 AM »

Great news DR WEL!

But when are we going to get Neely O'Hara's Love and Let Love!

It opened at the Radio City Music Hall the day after she got her Grammy for her Contribution to Music!  She sings some great new songs in it!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2003, 11:58:38 AM »

I have a very, very special place in my heart for "Ziegfeld Girl."

I remember seeing it as a kid and being totally blown away by all the glitz and glamour -- by Judy and her pop and all the great songs she got to sing -- by the glory of Hedy Lamarr looking ethereal at every possible moment -- and the most special impression made on me was Lana Turner, who became consumptive at the end of the film.  Her walk down that staircase before collapsing was one of THE GREAT STAR TURNS of the 1940s.  

If I recall correctly, Lana credited that scene in her biography to Roger Edens, film musical wunderkind who was the true talent at the top in the Freed Unit.  As I recall, there wasn't anything special in the original script. She was on her deathbed.  But she overhears someone talking about a big Ziegfeld review and sorrow that she cannot go.  Amazingly, Lana manages to elude her caretakers and goes to the theater.  She's broke, but hopes to get a cheap seat, and the ticketseller lets her in because "Mr. Ziefgeld wouldn't like it if I took your money."

After that, she watches a review of great Ziegfeld shows of the past, including one in which she was a major star.  Feeling ill, she gets up, leaves and collapses in the theater.

The way Edens envisioned it, the orchestra is playing the big "You Stepped Out of A Dream" number from her greatest hit and Lana, hearing it as she approaches the top of the stairs going down -- and ignoring her pain -- throws her shoulders back, lifts her head and begins her descent as she did on a spiral staircase when she was a showgirl.  She takes a few steps, falters, clutches the handrail and THEN, she collapses.

AND THAT IS SCREEN HISTORY, my friends!

For me, Judy Garland made a major leap from child/teen star to adult film star singing "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows."  

It's not exactly a major Garland vehicle, but it's top-notch soap opera dressed up in MGM musical glitz and glamour.  It features a bad-boy-with-a-good-heart performance by Jimmy Stewart.  And you won't believe how spectacular the young Dan Dailey looks as a prize fighter -- and you won't forget his line to Turner when he meets her in a skid-row bar:  "I know you!  You wuz there.  You see me when I done it!" (meaning when he won the title...she was in the first row protecting herself from blood with a newspaper).

"Yeah," Turner snarls. "I seen you when you done it."

Movie magic at its greatest!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 12:34:11 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2003, 12:04:44 PM »

Yes, broadwayworld has begun a journal.  I said it when we started Juliana's Journal that we would be imitated within weeks and there are now three or four show journals online.  It's good to be the leader, and I'm happy to show these people the way.  They should feel free to come here and usurp all of our special features (oops, they already have).  Yes, indeedy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2003, 12:06:14 PM »

DR RON - of the movies on your list, and they all have their charms and champions, I also look most forward to ZIEGFELD GIRL...  For the reasons you mention, and particularly for Hedy Lamarr.

My friend Patrick Agan is working on a new biography of Lamarr that will be published next year, I think - it's about time!

Danise

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2003, 12:09:11 PM »

Thanks DR Danise.  I read about that when I saw the WONDERFUL TOWN journal, but didn't know about it before.   That's just what DOTV needed - a little bit of internet buzz!  :P

LIttle bit of internet buzz.   I take it you didn't read Broadway.com very much last year.    :)

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2003, 12:13:20 PM »

I love your new picture DR Danise!  You are using your vacation time wisely!  It rivals DR Emily's!   ;)

I was using irony....LOL...how could I have escaped the DOTV wars?  LOL.  :P

Oh, and I keep forgetting - congratulations to DR Ann on her recital (NOT rectial) last night.  The program sounds terrific!  Something for everyone, and everything for music lovers!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 12:16:36 PM by JRand53 »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2003, 12:18:57 PM »

Yes, TRIO will have episodes of QUEEN FOR A DAY at 8 pm and 11 pm EST on Wed, Thurs, Fri.  I think.  WWW.triotv.com for their complete schedule!

No, DRJANE I didn't cry this time, the first four ladies didn't have such heartbreaking stories.  Although it was nice to see the lady win and get a wheel chair and exercise bike for her son with cerebral palsy, along with a freezer, a month's supply of frozen tv dinners, aluminum cookware, a sewing machine, some fashions, makeup by Merle Norman, and a drive in a golden Imperial to Universal International for her own private screening of SPARTACUS!

We watched the same episode last night and agree with you.  I suppose the lady who just wanted beds for her guest was bound to loose. ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2003, 12:21:58 PM »

True DR Jane - and how could the model look sew-fisty-kated rolling out bunkbeds?  She barely could when she brought out the wheelchair?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2003, 12:25:48 PM »

OK, here's my very first crush. Sorry for the quality of the picture. It's Guy Madison.

Oh yes!

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2003, 12:32:50 PM »

Ah yes.. Bruce, you are a pioneer. A pioneer and a visionary (who is also bemused) and many will follow in your footsteps....what's a feller to do...

I'm just glad you weren't the one that created fire. I can just hear subsequent conversations at your camp.

"Did you see that cro-magnon at the other camp. Did you see him make fire? You see how I made fire first and now all the tribes are making fire? No one on this planet was making fire until I made it. But that's ok...They should feel free to come here and usurp our fire  Yes, indeedy.

:)

Please note the above post is snarky, but tongue in cheek. For those who might otherwise not understand that it's meant to be humorous, it is meant to be humourous. So there ya go....

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2003, 12:37:30 PM »

The difference between us and them is that they TRY to be snarky at all times, while we are only snarky when snarkiness is called for/needed/required.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2003, 12:40:40 PM »

Ron.. with all do respect. There is no US v. THEM. There just is what is.  How are they trying to be snarky at all times? I'm curious....
And snarky is as snarky does...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up