Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT EXPLAINS THAT  (Read 21696 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THAT EXPLAINS THAT
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2006, 05:51:22 PM »

And now, I'm off to my parents' house for dinner.  I want to talk to them about getting a loan...to buy a house!  Actually, I'm looking at a condo that's only a half a mile or so from where I work.  Since my credit cards are paid off, I now am (hopefully) in a position to start thinking about that.  I don't have any savings ::) but being a first-time home buyer, I think there are some certain kinds of loans where I might not need one.  Does anyone know for sure??  I know I have some research to do. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2006, 05:54:07 PM »

Jane!! I just saw the wedding pic!! Yipes, were we ever that young??? You still look almost exactly the same, I must say. And I hadn't noticed at the time how very much you looked like Peggy. May she rest in peace.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2006, 05:56:54 PM »

For all my squawking about it, I kept that dress for years, sang several concerts in it. And I don't remember the bouquets having been so pretty. Your mother did a lovely wedding. All a blur. But I DO remember that dress. What were we grumbling about???
PennyO

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2006, 06:13:28 PM »

Jane, that is a beautiful wedding photo. I think the dresses are lovely, which is a rare thing for bridesmaids' dresses!

Now I think we need Keith in his tux! ;-)
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2006, 06:21:25 PM »

Such a lovely photo, DRJANE.  Lovely ladies in lovely dresses with lovely flowers.  All weddings should be so....lovely.

Did you have a soloist....if so, what song was sung?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2006, 06:21:46 PM »

The LACC recording sounds intriguing.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 06:22:10 PM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2006, 06:29:27 PM »

For those who read Mr Rupert Holmes' novel WHERE THE TRUTH LIES - well the movie version ain't close to it, it's just okay.

For some reason I had thought I was going to see Clive Owen as Vince Collins - but it was Colin Firth....I kept thinking he certainly looked different than he did in CLOSER and KING ARTHUR, so I checked my CLOSER dvd....different guy.

Firth and Kevin Bacon were fine as Morris and Collins, and the music was pretty good, lots of source music - but the failure of the film was Miss Allison Lohman as the reporter.

AND the scene in the book that I wanted to see - that will always be in my memory is when Vince takes Karen to the Warner Bros studio and walks her down a long long flight of stairs on an outdoor set telling her not to turn around....when they reach the bottom, she does, and sees the set from CAMELOT!

AND - film opens in 1972...flashes back to 15 years later (1957) where Morris & Collins are doing a Polio Telethon and singing "Together Where Ever We Go" - two years before it was written for GYPSY.

Oh....well....if you liked the book, rent the movie, don't buy it.  THE scene is there - but pretty well messed up.   Mr Ertegon's reputation in these here parts are well known....so I will say nothing more.

HOWEVER there are lots of scenes that were filmed in my Dream Home of a few topics ago, and if they scenes outdoors were filmed on location, we get to see a lot more than just the usual exterior of the home....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2006, 06:30:52 PM »

And that's where the truth lies........  Whew!  I just realized what a double entendre that title was....I know, I know....I am SLOW!!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2006, 06:35:54 PM »

Jane, that is a beautiful wedding photo. I think the dresses are lovely, which is a rare thing for bridesmaids' dresses!

Now I think we need Keith in his tux! ;-)

Or Keith out of his tux!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2006, 06:52:00 PM »

Did you read that Penny!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2006, 06:54:34 PM »

Time for PWOJECT WUNWAY.  I think tonight is the episode where Tim visits the designers in their workshops at home - and next week is the FINALE.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2006, 07:04:52 PM »

And your wedding gown is beautiful, too, Jane. Simple and lovely.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2006, 07:15:34 PM »

Jane!! I just saw the wedding pic!! Yipes, were we ever that young??? You still look almost exactly the same, I must say. And I hadn't noticed at the time how very much you looked like Peggy. May she rest in peace.

People often said that.  Keith and my brother never saw it.  ;D

I hope she is in peace, didn't have much when she was alive.

Jane

« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2006, 07:18:54 PM »

Thank you for all the wedding compliments.

I loved the dress.  I looked so young & was so small it was hard to find a dress to fit.

Ginny

« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2006, 07:26:48 PM »

Jane - I love your wedding photo!  I knew right away which one was DR PennyO, too!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #225 on: March 01, 2006, 07:41:58 PM »

Jane - What a beautiful photo!  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #226 on: March 01, 2006, 07:56:05 PM »

OH!

And the Krispy Kreme in Chelsea on 23rd closed a little while back. -And I believe that was the first Krispy Kreme location to open in NYC.  Now there's just Penn Station and the East Side.

And the one on 72nd closed too.  Thank God.   ;)
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #227 on: March 01, 2006, 08:07:09 PM »

Enjoyed my evening of viewing tonight.

I began with a MURDER SHE WROTE rerun on the Biography Channel. Another one of those late-in-the-run episodes I had never seen. I guessed the murderer's identity not from following the clues but simply from the too obvious direction that practically pointed a finger at the guilty party through close-ups and zooms into an important piece of evidence that I probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #228 on: March 01, 2006, 08:08:22 PM »

DR Jane loved the wedding photo!

Re: TAR.

DR MBarnum, I cannot believe we have the same favorite team. This is a first!

Oh and also re: TAR, I don't think that couple (where one was afraid of flying was gay). I mean the fat guy was. But the other guy was just his friend.  I think he wanted everyone to know that since he said something like "we are JUST friends". :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2006, 08:11:17 PM »

DR Jane, I loved the photos too. It would be fun to see DH Keith

Cillaliz

« Reply #230 on: March 01, 2006, 08:13:33 PM »

It was a balmy 65 degrees here in Sioux City today.  Tomorrow it going to be much cooler, 40 and windy and rain sleet and snow over the weekend. Yikes!

Jennifer

« Reply #231 on: March 01, 2006, 08:15:11 PM »

I enjoyed monday's MEDIUM.

(spoilers i guess).

I didn't find it unbelievable at all.

And I don't think we were supposed to do the writers' work.  They assume we are intelligent and so they skip some of the steps.

I don't remember the vet necessarily saying that he didn't do any blood workup.  So i think we can assume he did whatever tests he needed to do to get the info.

Also, I didn't find the middle daughter's info about the dog (and how she knew he was sick) at all predictible.  I thought it was sweet and touching and a wonderful surprise.

As for the dead woman knowing that the doctor's son was hers from the name.  I believe that she had no idea the kid was her son. She only realized it when she saw the doctor (i could be wrong). But i found it totally believable that she could have remembered her.

And as for the alarm, I don't remember an alarm going off when alison went in, only that the door was locked, which could easily have been done. Although someone mentioned that the killing was done that night.

I guess i'm confused because the doctor drove off. Didn't she come back the next morning? I think that is what they said.

One thing someone i know wondered was about alison's dream. And why did her "son" choke to death in the dream. Did that mean anything?

Cillaliz

« Reply #232 on: March 01, 2006, 08:16:01 PM »

Think I may have to take tomorrow afternoon off to finish getting the stuff out of the old house. There isn't much there, I just can't seem to bring myself to do it after a full day of work. But I don't want to do it in the rain, sleet and snow...so...it's really busy at work, but I really MUST get this done.

Matt H.

« Reply #233 on: March 01, 2006, 08:18:57 PM »

AMERICAN IDOL featured the men tonight.

spoiler - - - - - -

I thought several men did outstanding jobs tonight. I loved Elliott's jazz riffs, something very unusual for IDOL, and I found them quite entertaining.

Will didn't get good feedback on "Lady," but I thought he did very well with it and didn't understand why they considered it such a "safe" choice. It's a good song, he sang it very well with expression and a maturity that belied his young years.

Chris got the judges' highest praise, but being unfamiliar with the song and not getting "metal" anyway, I had a hard time appreciating what he was doing. Once he gets to the finals and we have theme nights, I'll be better able to tell what kind of voice he has once he has to sing some other genres.

I was disappointed wih Taylor's song (very pitchy) though his line was busy every time I tried to call. Ace took some big risks with those extreme high notes, and though it was strained, I thought he did pull them off well enough to stay around longer. Bucky is from NC like Kellie, and though his country rock isn't my taste, he does it OK.

The two I disliked the most were David (Harry Connick with a goat vibrato and more sharp notes than should be legal) and Kevin who crooned a soulless "I Heard It Through the Grapevine." Sway's song wasn't very good either, but he does have a nice tone to his voice when he sings in his chest (we didn't hear any of that last week in that screachy song done almost totally in falsetto). Two of those three must be going.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2006, 08:19:46 PM »

Bee-yoo--tiful wedding photo, DR Jane!  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2006, 08:20:03 PM »

I shut off RENT and may try to watch it later in the week.  Meanwhile, I got a motherlode of upcoming stuff - I've just watched two episodes of the new Dick Cavett comedians box - Woody Allen and Ruth Gordon in one, Jack Benny and Bill Cosby in another.  Fantastic.  May try to watch the late 60s version of Ten Little Indians now.  Also got Lady and the Tramp, The Frisco Kid, the new three disc Ten Commandments, which includes the silent version, the American releases of Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, and Whisper of the Heart, two Studio Ghibli films, a French SE DVD of Phantom of the Paradise, a new SE of Love Me Tender, the three new Fox noirs and several others.

Jennifer

« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2006, 08:20:40 PM »

I did not watch American Idol yet. Although i did happen to see the last guy Chris.

I did however watch an extremely teary One Tree Hill.  They had been promoting this show for weeks (school shooting with a very severe outcome).

Matt H.

« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2006, 08:21:19 PM »

LOST had a fascinating memory play tonight (rather than the traditional backstory) which made for a nice change of pace for the show.

BTW, this week's issue of ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY offered some reasonable speculations about what's REALLY going on with the island. I won't mention any of their speculations, but I found them credible.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2006, 08:23:44 PM »

Wow - MR BK - that's a DVD Bonanza!!

And Fabian is in that version of 10 LITTLE INDIANS!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2006, 08:24:24 PM »

I think I will finish watching SONG WITHOUT END....aka Franz Liszt in The Valley of the Dolls - and then look at some of my $1 DVD's!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up