Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT EXPLAINS THAT  (Read 21653 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THAT EXPLAINS THAT
« on: March 01, 2006, 12:06:02 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know both this and that and also that and this, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're doing a production of A Cowrus Line right now.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 12:19:48 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THAT EXPLAINS THAT
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 12:06:27 AM »

And the word of the day is: OCCLUSION!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 12:09:55 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to someone named Kurt.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 12:41:56 AM »

Happy Birthday Kurt. A JRand contact I think!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 03:41:34 AM »

Happy Birthday Kurt whoever you are
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 03:51:56 AM »

Just caught up with yesterday... Joy I love the red dress... very nice... and a dress you can actually REALLY wear again for something else!

vixmom

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 03:52:40 AM »

~~~HEALTH VIBES~~~~ for all HHW residents as we seem to have a cold going around the board!

vixmom

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 03:53:21 AM »

I join in the request for a picture of Jane's wedding complete with PennyO in her bridesmaid dress

vixmom

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 03:54:59 AM »

George , I bought the DVD set at Costco, maybe they can look up the transaction by my membership number! Thanks for the idea!

vixmom

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 03:58:29 AM »

All by myself..... well time to get the family up and moving  have a lovely day everyone!

Ben

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 04:32:11 AM »

Dan-the-Man said:

Zero Mostel died a few days after my parents saw him in THE MERCHANT, a play he was trying-out in Philly.  I think that was 1977.

I was doing a production of Forum (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to for those of you who don't know the abbreviated title) in Minneapolis in 1977. In my humble opinion it bit the big one. It was awful. The point being, Zero Mostel died during the run of our show and we all said that he had snuck into a performance one night and the shock of the production killed him.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 04:38:36 AM »

Jose, I know the publicist attached to the Judy Garland show. He said that Adrienne Barbeau is great and he's very excited to be working with her. He's a very good publicist because he refused to talk down the production, which from everything I've read doesn't sound like something I would run to go see. I'm a Garland fan but this holds no interest for me. Of course, if I can score a freebie I will go see the show with a completely open mind  ;D

The plot s a fictional backstage account of Garland's final concert appearance in Copenhagen in 1969. Barbeau's husband Billy Van Zandt wrote the piece and it's Ms. Barbeau's return to the stage (first time in 30 years according to the press).

Ben

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 04:45:19 AM »

And since I am all alone I will go wash my oatmeal bowl and begin the work day.

Oh, before I forget, Jose are you and Jason attending The Bad Seed at Chelsea on Thursday? And any other New York Readers, if you see this and want to come, fee free. Mr. Moore, Mr. Nondorf and Antonio, Joy, it's a classic camp movie, The Bad Seed with Nancy Kelly and Patty McCormack about a charming little murderess and should be a hoot. The ending of the movie was changed by censors (it's from 1956) to ensure that society would not be hurt by the sight of a youngster getting away with murder. You may even win a prize if you attend. Last week Jason won tickets to a show at the Public. It's $6 for the ticket and pre-show with Hedda Lettuce and the show starts at 7pm. It's at Chelsea Cinemas on the corner of 8th Avenue and 23rd Street across from Crispy Creme Donuts and next to East of Eighth restaurant.

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 04:53:55 AM »

Wednesday greetings!  Back to work today after taking 2 days off to attend to DH Richard (who's much better, by the way).  At least I don't have to be there until noon.

DR Ben, if I were in NYC I'd join you for The Bad Seed.  That was our school play my senior year in high school and I played Monica Breedlove, the neighbor.  This was spring 1968, 'way before videos and DVDs, so our drama teacher arranged for the whole cast to go to the studios of CKLW-TV in Windsor, Ontario, for a screening of the film.  We were infuriated by the ending.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 05:06:00 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm up, I'm moving, and I'm not happy about it.  I don't know why I'm discontented, maybe it's spring fever, cabin fever, or a mental disorder.  I've got some IRS things to take care of today (will it ever end?), a trip to the NYPL, a stop at the post office, and some time in Toyland.

I loved THE CLOSER last night, which seemed to be an exercise in black humor.  Since these law & order shows are rarely funny, I particularly enjoyed this one.  Speaking of LAW & ORDER, I saw my friend John Bolger on one of the reruns last night and my friend Ned Eisenberg, who's on quite a few of the episodes playing an attorney, is in the revival of AWAKE AND SING, which some of the pubescent nitwits on Boradwayworld.com think is a musical.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 05:25:44 AM »

Good morning.

Der Brucer and I will be travelling up to Philly, a dry run to make sure we know exactly where Joseph and the Amazingly Gaudy Dreamcoat is playing, where the best parking is located, and what the best offramp will be in getting there.  Of course, his son-in-law will insist on driving us to the theater, along with the grandlads and der B's daughter, who will prove once again that she can kvetch about anything.  And s-i-l will once again prove that he learned how to drive on a souped-up tractor.  But that's for Saturday.  For today, der B and I will have a fine time in his former hometown.  Maybe head over to the Reading Terminal Market.  Maybe do some other shopping, or at least browsing.  Maybe have a nice meal somewhere.

Which raises the question: with so much to do later today, why am I up now?  Shouldn't I be in bed, getting my beauty sleep?  Or at least my at-least-the-mirror-won't-crack-if-I-look-in-it sleep?

I'm blaming Jose.  Or maybe the dogs, who wanted first breakfast.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 05:27:11 AM »

I'm going back to bed.  I'll include today's car CD's on Friday's post.

Jesus's Kid Brother?  Who knew!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 06:04:05 AM »

~~~HEALTH VIBES~~~~ for all HHW residents as we seem to have a cold going around the board!

If we caught it here at HHW, I guess it would have to be

Wait for it

A virus
[/size]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 06:13:39 AM »

I came home yesterday after only two hours of work, having chills, aches and pains, and feeling dizzier than usual.  I have slept all but about two hours since then.

Got up this morning, and I actually feel worse than yesterday, so it is back-to-bed time.  Who started this virus?  I blame DR CP.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 06:15:47 AM »

I came home yesterday after only two hours of work, having chills, aches and pains, and feeling dizzier than usual.  I have slept all but about two hours since then.

Got up this morning, and I actually feel worse than yesterday, so it is back-to-bed time.  Who started this virus?  I blame DR CP.

It's all the fault of that fickle Filipino, DR Jose!  Everything.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 06:30:06 AM »

THE DONKEY

One day a farmer's donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do.

Finally, he decided the animal was old, and the well needed to be covered up anyway.

It just wasn't worth it to retrieve the donkey.

He invited all his neighbors to come over and help him.

They all grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well.

At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly.

Then, to everyone's amazement he quieted down.

A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the well. He was astonished at what he saw.

With each shovel of dirt that hit his back, the donkey was doing something amazing.
He would shake it off and take a step up.

As the farmer's neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up.

Pretty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and happily trotted off!

Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt.

The trick to getting out of the well is to shake the dirt off and take a step up.

Each of our troubles is a stepping stone.

We can get out of the deepest wells just by never giving up!

Shake it off and take a step up.

Remember the five simple rules to being happy:

1. Free your heart from hatred - Forgive.

2. Free your mind from worries - Most never happen.

3. Live simply and appreciate what you have.

4. Give more.

5. Expect less.

NOW --------

Enough of that Hallmark soppiness. .

The donkey later came back, and bit the farmer who had tried to bury him.

The gash from the bite got infected, and the farmer eventually died in agony from septic shock.

MORAL FROM TODAY'S LESSON:

When you do something wrong, and try to cover your ass, it always comes back to bite you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 06:31:27 AM by Vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 06:33:26 AM »

I wish I could join the NY contingent in a trip to see The Bad Seed,  but alas time constraints and family obligations prohibit it.  My (then) boyfriend played the janitor character in his senior play back in 1975....

vixmom

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 06:35:48 AM »

~~~Health Vibes~~~ for poor   TCB

He caught the HHW computer virus. Now, is everyone remembering to wash their hands thoroughly before touching the keyboard?!

vixmom

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 06:37:19 AM »

I wonder how DR Pogue is feeling today and if the Lovely Wife has remained germ free.

Did you explore the option of TheraFlu  (lemon flavored) to see if it measured up to your British LemSip?

Ben

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 07:20:19 AM »

Hmmm, just last week it was Stop the World...I Want to Get Off. Now it seems Mr. Jackman is connected to a revival of Pal Joey.

Hugh Jackman

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 07:35:17 AM »

Feel better vibes to DR TCB!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2006, 07:41:03 AM »

So sorry to read of your virus, DR TCB! Feel better soon!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 07:42:00 AM »

Good morning!

Absoluetly glorious day here with temps reaching near 80 (and tomorrow as well)!

One must get out and walk today! One simply must!

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2006, 07:42:10 AM »

Re: last night's AMERICAN IDOL.

I also think it was an off night for many. And my opinions of a few people have gone down a bit.

Lisa (the 16 yr old) who i used to really like seems too put together to me now.  It doesn't feel like it's real emotion but more fake and I don't care for that.

I still dislike Brenna.

I still love Paris, even if her song was "old" she sings with a lot of emotion (way beyond her years).

Kellie. Love her.  I know the winner of AI should probably have the strongest voice. But I just love her sweetness.  She is so real and when she sings I feel it.

Ayla.  I don't like her.  What simon said is exactly how i feel.  She might be working the hardest out there since she doesn't have the strongest voice.  And she did do well.  But to me it seems like she is the type of girl who excels at everything she puts her mind to.  She is trying the hardest. But it doesn't seem natural.  She is singing a sweet song and it almost looked like she was getting into it, and then she turned to the camera and gave this big grin.

Heather cox (blonde girl).  I know she doesn't have the strongest voice, but i like her.  I love her personality and how she goes on about being an AI fan. She seems nice and she also is clearly trying.

Katharine. Love her, but she was just okay last night.

Kinnik. Don't care for. Melissa, just okay. Mandissa, good voice just not my favorite.

I hope it's kinnik and brenna. But it could be heather or melissa (is that her name?) as well.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2006, 07:44:48 AM »

I just had a surprise looking at the DVDs to be released next week:

THREE GUYS NAMED MIKE.

First, it's a perfectly charming little MGM romantic comedy with Jane Wyman at her perkiest, Van Johnson, Howard Keel, and Barry Sullivan as the three Mikes in question, and directed by Charles Walters. Not a great film but certainly a pleasant diversion.

But when did this become a public domain item? I had NO idea! The DVD is being released by the Roan Group, not by Warners.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up