Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG  (Read 58660 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2006, 10:28:18 AM »

Didn't really get any extra sleep today.  Trying to figure out who I can coerce into coming to help me run lines today.  Matt and I will work every day during the week - I suppose I could just sit and do them myself, but I don't think that's as good as having lines fed to me.

I will add my congratulations to you for this move.  It's very courageous...and daunting.

All the very best theatrical mojo is being vibed your way!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2006, 10:48:55 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm now caught up on the past two days of Notes and Posts, as well as today's Notes.  Now to read Today's Posts so far, and then...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2006, 10:57:39 AM »

All caught up, so... Time to post myself, I guess...  I got some catching up to do... Let's see what I remember... And what I forget.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2006, 11:13:35 AM »

DR Matthew - As DR elmore suggested, the Leontyne Price recording of Aida with Vickers is a worthwhile investment - especially now that it's been issued in Decca/London's budget, 2for1 line.  -I have the original 3-CD full-price box.  However, she recorded the role twice, and her second recording for RCA with Domingo from the early 70s would also be a worthy addition to your library - and it's available in the mid-price range now.  At least I think it's still available.

However, the Montserrat Caballe recording is also very nice, and you get Domingo again as Radames - I believe he recorded the role three times.  And Ms. Caballe's breath control is awe-inspiring.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2006, 11:14:04 AM »

:)

Happy Birthday, DR Jay!

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2006, 11:15:10 AM »

DR Danise - I hope that now that you have your TV/satellite working again, that you'll enjoy some quality time in front of the TV... Relaxing... And doing nothing.  Rest.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2006, 11:15:53 AM »

DR elmore - I'm sorry that DR Jason and I missed you the other night.  Next time...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2006, 11:16:50 AM »

Going over lines, and going over lines, and going over lines.  Now I'll take a break.  Some of it is very natural for me, and some of the lines are just not coming to me at all - I usually know the beginnings and ends of everything, but some of the middles are eluding me.  I think I always know what it's about, but the actual words are just not coming into my head.  It is getting better, though and I do have five more days.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2006, 11:17:13 AM »

It's also difficult not to have someone throwing the cues to me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2006, 11:19:49 AM »

Mornin', Jose!

Bon appetit as you indulge in a petit dejeuner!

Or will you go out for a run first?

Thank you, DR Ron Pulliam.

The one thing I did do last night before heading to bed was to get my steel cut oatmeal set for this morning.  Bring four cups of water to boil, add one cup of steel-cut Oats (Irish oatmeal), and let sit overnight.  Very easy.  Then I just simmered it for a couple of minutes to bring it up to heat and desired consistency.  -And I now have oatmeal ready for the next couple of days too.

Once it was ready, I scooped some into a bowl, dashed it with some cinnamon, added some raisins, dried cranberries and almonds... Yummy!  And very good and healthy.

As for going for a run... Well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2006, 11:27:03 AM »

As I was saying...

I probably would have gone for a run today if my foot was feeling back to normal.  However, this time, it's my left foot that is being bothersome.  Over the past week and a half, I was having issues with my right foot due to a callous.  When I woke up Friday morning, I noticed that my right foot was feeling pretty good, feeling "normal".  However, the reason I woke up was that I felt a cramp in my left foot.  And then it seemed that my left foot was sort of stuck in the cramp.  Most unseemly.

I got up, showered, dressed and headed down to rehearsal.  My left foot still felt "cramped", but it was bearable.  During my lunch break, I called a friend of mine, and joke to him that maybe I just need to kick my foot to get it working again.  So...  I kicked the brick wall of the nearest brick building, and, lo and behold, my left foot began to feel a bit better.  So... I gave it another kick... And so on and so forth.  By the time the afternoon rehearsal session was over, I was actually walking normally.  My left foot still felt a little tight, but I wasn't limping like I had been earlier in the day.

It still felt a little "off" yesterday, and it still feels a little "off" right now.  -However, it's the rest of the muscles in my left leg that feel tight due to all the compensating I was doing during my limping.

In other words, I'm taking it easy today.  And since it's my day off, that's not such a bad thing to do.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2006, 11:27:38 AM »

Congrats to everyone for reaching and surpassing 190,000 posts!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2006, 11:29:47 AM »

DR Elmore - sorry you had to cut your workday short.  Feel better!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2006, 11:30:43 AM »

Things are getting pretty serious in my kitchen, so I'll log off until after the taco party.

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2006, 11:32:57 AM »

In other news...

Lestat orchestra rehearsals continue to go well.  The new charts sound greats, and we've had the luxury of time already to go back and nitpick - and correct - some things here and there.  We move into The Palace tomorrow, Monday.  It will mainly be a sound check, and "pit fit" rehearsal.  No real playing.  And once we're done, we're done for the day - which is scheduled to be done at Noon.  However, I think I shall take advantage of the time in the theatre tomorrow afternoon with the keyboard set up to start going through my part and working out fingerings - I got lots of runs and scales!

And I also have to say, that the group of players contracted for this orchestra pit are a truly a great group of people.  It's been nice getting to know them and bonding with them in the rehearsal studio over the past couple of days.  They've made me - the newbie - feel very comfortable.  Alas, once we're in the theatre, most of them will be in the pit, and I'll be up on the seventh floor.  -However, there's already been talks of bringing in goodies, and potluck dinners, so...  I think I'm going to like it here.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2006, 11:33:40 AM »

DR elmore - Maybe you need some rice pudding from Artie's.  I had some the other night, and it made my foot feel better.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2006, 11:39:21 AM »

I've also been playing some auditions for The Williamstown Theatre Festival this past week.  Again, lots of good people.  The auditions this week have been for the Apprentice and Non-Equity company members, so we've been seeing a lot of college students and recent grads.  We did have some amazing auditions, and we also had some "amazing" auditions if you get my drift.  ;)

Roger Rees had a great comment after one audition yesterday, "I believe the melody he sang was better than the one Irving Berlin wrote."

;D

Alas, I wish I could share more details of the past couple days of auditions, but since their season has not been officially announced yet, I must remain tight-lipped for now.  But it's looking like they will have quite a wonderful line-up this summer up at Williams College.
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2006, 11:48:54 AM »

Puffin? PUFFIN?

PUFFIN!!

THAT makes me think of the Barry (John) show.... "Billy!"
and dear reader Tomowoz!!

http://www.bowkera.com/puffin_billy.htm

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2006, 11:49:00 AM »

DR elmore - Maybe you need some rice pudding from Artie's.  I had some the other night, and it made my foot feel better.

Thank you, DR Jose!  I believe Artie's rice pudding can perform many miracles.  I am also sorry that I missed you and DRJason.

I just had a bit of cola, and I think I will lie down for a bit and read the newspapers.

Last night I watched, for the first time, William Wyler's film of CARRIE with Jennifer Jones.  It's a beautiful film, although I don't know why Laurence Olivier couldn't be seen gassing himself, as Hurstwood does in the book.  It's implied, but the book's more brutal than this beautiful film.  

The film reminded me a bit of the Olivier-Greer Garson PRIDE AND PREJUDICE:  the characters are there, the story's similar to the book, but the tone is vastly different.  CARRIE is much more romantic than the novel, but I liked Jennifer Jones much more than the heroine of Dreiser's novel.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2006, 11:49:37 AM »

Congrats to BK for making the decision to correct a lingering problem in a pretty nervy way.  I'll bet once you get the lines down and out of the way that you are going to have a blast.

I don't remember anything in the notes, but does this mean a possible extension?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

François de Paris

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2006, 11:50:19 AM »

Cats, in the bag and out of it, like to feast on puffins, I'm told!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2006, 11:51:43 AM »

DR Dan (the Man) - Your Oscar Pool Sparkling Prize(s) should be reaching you on Monday.  :)

Sorry for the delay.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2006, 11:52:50 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR JAY  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2006, 11:53:11 AM »

Thank you, DR Jose!  I believe Artie's rice pudding can perform many miracles.  I am also sorry that I missed you and DRJason.

Well... I actually was ringing your bell in order to present you with a tub of Artie's rice pudding the other night... Ah, well... It made a rather nice breakfast for me yesterday.

Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2006, 11:55:22 AM »

DR Dan (the Man) - Your Oscar Pool Sparkling Prize(s) should be reaching you on Monday.  :)

Sorry for the delay.

No need to apologize, good sir.  The joy was in the winning.

Prize(s)?  Prize(s)?!?  Yippee!!!
-- Anaïs Nin

François de Paris

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2006, 11:56:01 AM »

Happy Birthjay Day!

Errr... Happy Birthday, Jay!

Cats also like to feed on jays!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2006, 11:58:06 AM »

Vibes and Cues to BK!!!

François de Paris

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2006, 11:58:08 AM »

And on their next to last recording called "Couldn't Be Hotter," they had a song called, "Nothing Could Be Hotter Than That."  I always thought that that was cool, that they specifically didn't name their albums after the name of a song.  

George you're getting me confused!!

"Hotter" is cool?!?! ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2006, 11:59:41 AM »

OH!  And here's something totally random - and frightening - I saw while walking around the city the other day...

I was walking down Broadway, and started to cross 37th Street.  I noticed a woman pushing a stroller with a baby in it coming towards me.  She also had a two or three year-old son walking with her.  When she got to the middle of intersection - well, when we all got to the middle of the intersection, it was rush hour - she noticed that her little boy had sort of held back and was not crossing with her.  So, she ran back to get her little boy, leaving the stroller and her baby in the middle of the intersection.  I'm not exactly sure just how much time passed before she came back to the stroller, but it seemed too long - well, any time passing that type of situation is too long.

And I wasn't the only one to notice what she was doing. There were other people walking besides us who just stopped, and we all had the same look of horror and confusion on our faces as we looked at the abandoned stroller.  However, in retrospect, I guess her baby had a wall of protection around her with all of us standing there in amazement.

Again, just frightening.
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2006, 12:00:47 PM »

Re: Rodzinski's comment last night:

"To the theory of murder, the experts did say, "Tut tut."

I can only say:

G R O A N !

Scofflaw! :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 12:03:02 PM by Rodzinski »