Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: AUTHOR'S NOTE  (Read 20927 times)

Danise

Re:AUTHOR'S NOTE
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2003, 10:08:20 AM »

That's funny.  I worked for a Waldens bookstore and the store number was 666.  Do you know that there were people who wouldn't buy a Bible or any kind of religious book from that store?  They wouldn't write a check because they didn't want the "666" on the check and they didn't want the receipt either.

Had to add--there are 46 copies of Careers on E-bay.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 10:13:12 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2003, 10:13:47 AM »

Just call me "Damien."   :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2003, 10:17:07 AM »

How about Mystery Date? Yeah, it was just for girls, but I mentioned to my last lover one night how much I had always wanted to play that game, but I couldn't now that it was out of print. Well, what do you think I got for Christmas? And you've never seen nor heard a campier scene in your life than four gay men playing Mystery Date over drinks.

Diane

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2003, 10:18:01 AM »

Danise: Thanks for the very creative welcome! ;D

When I was little I loved Hungry Hungry Hippos and Don't Break the Ice. I wonder if they even still sell those games?
I LOVE A Piano....

Diane

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2003, 10:19:25 AM »

:D ohhh! I got Karma Points! Yea!!! :D
I LOVE A Piano....

William E. Lurie

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2003, 10:28:45 AM »

666 is supposedly the "Devil's Number".  I have no idea where that started, but it was probably by people who are very superstitious about a lot of other things too.

By "internet sellers" do you mean individuals who sell on the sites like e-bay or companies that sell their goods through the internet?

I found the Newsday NEVER GONNA DANCE review.  If the link in these here notes doesn't work (it didn't for me) just go to the www.newsday.com home page, go down the list on the side and click "Entertainment", and you can get it that way.

It's interesting that Newsday's main critic, Linda Winer, did not do the review, but she didn't do I AM MY OWN WIFE either today, so she may be on vacation.

The review is mixed, but more positive then negative and the words "old fashioned" did appear.  The critic liked the dancing, but failed to mention that they are dancing 2/3 of the time.  I expected Peter Bartlett to be disliked, but both he and David Pittu did get laughs with almost everything they did.  However am I incorrect in thinking that designer Robin Wagner is a him and not a her as referred to in the review?

I have a confession to make.  I have never seen ANGELS IN AMERICA and despite the awards the play got and the advance raves the HBO movie is getting I still really have no desire to see it.  I don't like drag queens, don't believe in angels and saw an excellent movie a few years ago about Roy Cohen.  I will probably tape all six hours but don't know if I will get through the whole thing.  Can any DR explain why this is supposed to be such a great work and why I should watch it?  The critics haven't convinced me.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2003, 10:32:58 AM »

Wow, best current movies to see?  I'm afraid I am not really up to date on what’s playing in the theaters.  Is Intolerance still at the Bijou?

Ice cream however is a subject I can discuss.  Ben & Jerry make the absolute best ice creams flavors in the world, if you like different treats and textures in your dessert.  Tops on my list are Karamel Sutra and Peanut Butter Me Up.  However, when pressed, I can be swayed by some Haagen-Daz flavors, particularly Dulce De Leche (oh a “Guys and Dolls” reference).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2003, 10:33:38 AM »

I had the  Mystery Date game and always got the "bum".  LOL!

Your welcome, Diane!   Tell us about yourself!

As far as the games,  E-bay might have them.  I think I saw Hungry, Hungry Hippos yesterday when I was looking at the games.  

I think it is a good idea for families to sit down with a board/card game at least once a week.  

The games that I played the most were in my early 20's.  I found a group that did the role playing games--D&D, Vampire, etc. and later, the card games like Magic.  I still have my decks.  I LOVED them.  They weren't as bad as people made them out to be.

It depends on who your playing with and what rules you set.  Like poker.  You can play for match sticks or strip or lose your house on the turn of a card.  It just depends on you.

We never did the burn the village, rape, loot (well we did loot the dead when a character died) murder stuff.  We always had a quest like Lord of the Rings.  We only went off the path one time and it was soooo funny but we never did it again.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2003, 10:40:39 AM »

666 is supposedly the "Devil's Number".  I have no idea where that started, but it was probably by people who are very superstitious about a lot of other things too.

It "started" in "Revelations," the last book of something called the "New Testament" that is the second part of the Christian Bible.

"...and the number of the beast was 666..."

It has been the entire basis of stories and films dealing with satan, most notably "The Omen" films.

It is well-known to those superstitious people with more than a passing reference to The Bible.

: )
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 10:48:17 AM by Ron Pulliam »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2003, 10:42:24 AM »

Re Mystery Date: If you go onto a high school or college campus now, it appears that The Bum is the desirable fella these days.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2003, 10:46:48 AM »

DR Jrand wrote:
DRJennifer - I know what you mean about those form replies.  I used to get them from my ISP - and if you use PayPal if takes you forever to get to a page so that you can send them an email!  And EBAY is terrible, too.  They send you in circles before you get the "Contact Us" option, even though no place you go before that can answer your question.

Yes it is sometimes very hard to find the contact options. So I just save the address to send complaints to (cust.serv@amazon.ca for amazon.ca).  See why they hate me :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 10:49:32 AM by Jennifer »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2003, 10:50:12 AM »

666 is considered the Mark of the Beast as described in the Book of Revelations in the Bible.  As for who is responsible for the words and ideas in the Bible, well, I'm not getting into that discussion.
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2003, 10:50:15 AM »

DR RonP wrote:
I can't speak to amazon.ca practices, but Amazon.com has been extremely reliable, user-friendly and helpful every time I've encountered a problem.

Bad copy of something received -- immediate dispatch of item via 2-day delivery and easy-to-acquire return mailing label.

Problem with getting order in a timely manner when eBay says all items should be available within 24 hours?  They always upgrade my shipping to two-day delivery and never charge me for shipping at all.

Compared to Amazon.com, all the rest are amateurs, IMO!

They are reliable that is for sure. And if you have a problem they will help you.

But my problems have mostly been with shipping delays (items that might say 1 or 2 weeks taking longer) or things like what I described in my other message (trying to add an item/ or their system eating my discount code).

They do always answer within 24 hours. But sometimes you just need help sooner.

But not only that their form letters are a HUGE problem for me.  If I ask them why MY ITEM is delayed, I don't need to get a form letter saying that occasionally there are delays. I want them to check into my item.

But all this said, I actually love buying from the amazons. I do realize that they have SO many customers. So that considered they are great.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 10:55:22 AM by Jennifer »

Emily

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2003, 10:50:49 AM »

Good afternoon everyone!

T minus 23hours and counting until exam #1!!! Am I studying?  Nahhhh... that'll happen frantically tonight and tomorrow morning... ;)

*oh we oh we oh we oh we oh we oh we oh* = SURVIVOR tonight

I spent the morning working out the final kinks to my travel plans.  Andrea and I will be in NY from Dec. 30-1.  We leave Montreal at 10pm and travel by bus overnight.  Oy.  Why do I get the impression that the bus ride will become hellish fairly early?  I am planning to sleep the minute we clear the border - which should be around midnight or one o'clock in the morning.  

The hotel I THOUGHT we were going to be in changed to the Park Savoy which I think may be slightly nicer.  So yea!  Plus it's near  the Canadian Consulate if we need to bail Andrea out of Guantanamo or something...

My favorite type of ice cream is Chocolate Mint Chip without a doubt.  B&J kicks some serious booty - there is one (of less than 10 in all of Canuckistan... I guess we aren't that fond of frozen desserts) five walking minutes away from my house.  I love their free cone day!  Such a great hippie-ish idea!

I'm off to tackle the Arab-Israeli Conflict... I'll let you know how I plan on solving it singlehandedly (I swear that is going to be an essay question on the final exam!) :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2003, 10:51:51 AM »

I think I might take a religious studies class on eschatological imagery in the book of Revelations next year.  If I do, I'll send you guys some info. on 666 :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2003, 10:51:58 AM »

Oh, I almost forgot, welcome Dear Reader Diane.
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2003, 10:53:31 AM »

I have very fond memories of playing board games with my cousins when I was a kid. Saturday nights my aunt and uncle would come over, and while the adults were having cocktails and playing cards us kids were in the family room watching the Saturday monster film (H-Man, Voodoo Woman, Godzilla) and playing Aggravation, Monopoly, or The Game of Life. I also remember vividly when my cousin Molly got Concentration for Christmas...I was so envious! Chinese Checkers, Battle Ship, and Candy Land were other favorites.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2003, 10:55:10 AM »

What wonderful interesting posts.

Yes DRMaya - Trivial Pursuit is fun, but it seems to take forever to get to your turn, something I don't remember in Monopoly or the other "action" as opposed to "question" games.   And of course in Clue everyone's turn is important because you can learn something!  ;)

DRDanise - I am so tempted to bid on a Careers game!  ;D

And while I was complaining earlier about some online shopping services, I must agree that personally I have gotten mostly outstanding service from them all.   And as my computer skills improved, my internet shopping got easier.  And it certainly beats going out, fighting the crowds, parking, and going inside to find what you wanted sold out - if you could find a person to help you. The only person who is really suffering is my mailman!  :P

Oh heck!  I did it.  A 1965 version - complete - was going for $2.00.   I think it was the 1955 version we had...here is that box, but I will take the later one.  Remember this board, guys?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2003, 10:55:41 AM »

I have never recieved one iota of help from Ebay or Paypal when I have had trouble (in other words the buy took my money and ran) with an Ebay purchase. Thankfully that has only happened twice. Once last year and one that I am dealing with right now.

That said, I still LOVE Ebay and would never dream and think it has been a huge boon to mankind!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 11:58:01 AM by MBarnum »

Emily

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2003, 10:58:22 AM »

Trivial Pursuit was invented in a Montreal bar...

betcha all didn't know that! :)

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2003, 11:01:26 AM »

I spent the morning working out the final kinks to my travel plans.  Andrea and I will be in NY from Dec. 30-1.  We leave Montreal at 10pm and travel by bus overnight.  Oy.  Why do I get the impression that the bus ride will become hellish fairly early?  I am planning to sleep the minute we clear the border - which should be around midnight or one o'clock in the morning.  

I have taken the overnight bus many times. It's not bad at all. Just be prepared to be questioned by the customs people.

For some reason they hate single girls travelling alone. They will probably think you are trying to marry an American.I kid you not. I have these discussions EVERY time I go to the US.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2003, 11:03:53 AM »

When can I come over and play, DR JRand? That picture brought back SUCH memories.

Speaking as a gay male, I have to say the bum in MYSTERY DATE is the most desirable of the men behind the door. Yes, you lose if you get him, but you lose only the game if you know what I mean. We had hours of hilarity about that fact.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 11:05:35 AM by Matt H. »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2003, 11:21:09 AM »

As soon as I get it, DRMATTH, I will have a Careers party.

And, not that I have ever played it or anything, but I think the loser in Dream Date is not called a bum, he is a dud....as in:  "Will your date be a... dream.........or a....dud?"  8)

And DRLaura is correct in her observation about the "bum" being the most sought after.  It is thus in most cultures!  ;D

DRDiane - Don't Break the Ice and Hungry Hungry Hippo are great games...and don't forget their companion...Ants in Your Pants!
 :P

TCB - watch your tape!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 11:22:40 AM by JRand53 »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2003, 11:40:15 AM »

TCB - watch your tape!

I will, JRand, I have it scheduled for Sunday afternoon.  I am really looking forward to seeing the whole tape -- especially The Boat Trip.
“One thing’s universal,

Diane

« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2003, 11:43:47 AM »

DRTCB: Thank You!  :-*

DRJrand: I don't think I ever played Ants...Now  I'm gonna have to go and find it!

Remember Shoots and Ladders? Me and my sister could play that for hours...

What do you all think of Video Games? Killing kids imaginations? Giving them better hand / eye cordination?
I LOVE A Piano....

Emily

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2003, 11:46:15 AM »

Has anyone here ever played the Grand Theft Auto Games?

Definitely are NOT for children but also definitely cathartic.

But what does it say about a society when you get such enjoyment out of stealing cars, shooting cops and beating up prostitutes? :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2003, 11:53:12 AM »

It's always so funny to see so many people perusing the board - I always think, "Oh, good, there'll be lots of new posts to read" and then I go to the posts and there's like two posts to read.  Yes, it's always so funny.

Very busy crazy day at work, but I'm going to Cafe Bizou later, so I've got a rainbow waiting at the end of the day.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2003, 11:55:28 AM »

Just another day in the neighborhood, DR Emily.

DR Diane the only computer game I really have ever played is Pong!  

LOL TCB!  Unfortunately BOAT TRIP does not feature Gale Storm.

What was Benjamin Kritzer's favorite board game?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 11:56:32 AM by JRand53 »

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2003, 11:58:16 AM »

DR Ron, UNCLE WIGGLY!!!!  I LOVED UNCLE WIGGLY!!!

I had forgotten all about him until you mentioned it.  Yay!  Brings back lovely memories!

I think Life is a fun game, and I think it would be a great gift, depending on the age limit of the kids.  Might want to check that out.

I had this game called "Yotta (Know Mammals)" (as in, You Ought To), which was an educational game about some rather obscure mammals.  Because of this game, I know the difference between the Hoary Marmot and the Olympic Marmot.  Great game.

At the moment, I love Cranium.  And when I was a kid I LOVED loved loved Mousetrap.  Now they have a cruelty-free (read: lame) version called Mouse Roundup.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2003, 11:59:50 AM »

Welcome, DR Diane ;)

Glad you found us.

To everyone else, FYI, Diane and I met on our My Fair Lady tour and have been friends for about 2 years or so.  She also did Camelot, which DR Jose is doing right now, right?
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up