Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I KID YOU NOT  (Read 13194 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:I KID YOU NOT
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2006, 10:43:11 AM »

Normally we don’t sit through an entire play we dislike.  Since we had company visiting a few years back we had to sit through an experimental version of Macbeth.  It was terrible.  

The idea was the actors would dress minimally, play multiple roles (women playing men) & identify the different characters simply by adding a cape or hat to the costume, making it difficult to keep them straight.  The lead actress played her two or three characters, male & female, exactly the same. The result was we often didn’t know which character she was.  It is possible we might have retained who wore the cape or hat, etc. if we hadn’t been shivering so hard from the air conditioning.  

Jane

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2006, 10:47:39 AM »

JMK-how rude of Dale.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2006, 10:54:36 AM »

Hi, Jane!
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2006, 10:59:21 AM »

All time worst would have to be Caveman with Ringo Starr and Shelly Ladd.... Yes I am ashamed to say I was forced to watch and god it was bad. The sound track consisted of bad music, grunts and farts.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

:D

Lots of fun, a terrific score (that has been issued on CD in the past year!!!).  First time I ever saw Shelley Long on film.  Dennis Quaid also in it.

It was high silliness a la Monty Python....LOL.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2006, 11:10:26 AM »

My sister Rikki invited me to a belated dinner birthday partay for her most excellent son Jeremy - a real Macher! - whose 29th b'day happened on April Fool's Day. a restaurant of his choice - can't for the life of me remember the name, but I sure do WANT to! In Westwood, Italian. GREAT food, great ambience. We had a great time; we had wads of wonderful cuisine; my sis had apoplexy when she got the bill. Six courses - THEN dessert. OY! My nephew waves the menus away, and asks his friend, the chef-owner to do his thing. Okay - so it's an incredibly light and tasty fresh mushroom potage to start. Then a salad of some uniquely wonderful fresh Mozarella-like cheese over fresh tomato and sauteed peppers. Then we got the pasta dish, of fresh pasta mixed with asparagus and cheese and something suspiciously like ham - more trafe ya couldn't get, but mmmmmm..... Then we got the meatball risotto... then the fish course - a nice piece of sea bass done up with baby spring vegetable... Okay, so finally comes the entree... a soft and flavorful medium rare steak, sliced over something indescribably divine in a peppercorn sauce. We finally had to give up - one taste of the steak - the Star of the meal - and everyone had to put down the forks and just STOP. Well, no way this stuff was gonna be thrown away, I tell ya!!! hey, Cameriere! wrap it ALL up - I'm taking it with me!

Then comes this astonishing cake, made of egg pastry and filled with egg custard and whipped cream - a special birthday cake for the Maestro's special friend. Okay - so the forks were lifted again... (gag) and we choked down as much as we could.

All of this splendor was accompanied by the right wines, you understand: Dom Perignon champagne for the toast, before the soup. A wickedly expensive Chardonnay for the next two courses. A mild red for the meatball/pasta things... another white to go with the sea bass... and a very hearty red - sheesh, what was the name of THAT one?? - for the beef. Then a bottle of grappa for the cake, and apertifs.

I'm still gagging, and my other sister invited me to lunch! Maybe I'll watch her eat something small, while I gag quietly into a napkin...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2006, 11:14:37 AM »

Oh - here's the finale of the story...

We're outside, waiting for the car, Penny clutching the sack of steak... homeless guy comes along, asks us for money.

Rikki says quietly, I'm not giving him money to go buy drugs or booze.

Guy sees my brown paper bag, says I'm hungry. Got anything to eat there that i could have?

So I say, yup - here you go, it's some wonderful steak. Enjoy!

We all (gagging on WAY too much food) say, enjoy!

He says, God bless you! and walks away.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2006, 11:15:49 AM »

And a fine time was had by all. What was the NAME of that place???
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2006, 11:16:29 AM »

Gonna hop in the shower and go join my sisters to look at granite for Rikki's kitchen, then watch 'em eat... bye.
PennyO

Jane

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2006, 11:24:08 AM »

Penny find out the name of the restaurant.

Jane

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2006, 11:27:57 AM »

JMK while Keith’s aunt & uncle were visiting we took them on a walk through Lithia Park.  Later I gave them a slide show of the park in autumn, and then just continued through my personal photos from my hikes.  Included in the show were photos of BeeGee.  Of course they think he is a real cutie.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2006, 11:35:27 AM »

DR DAKOTA CELT - glad you liked Carroll's character in CHEYENNE AUTUMN...her 60's hair just about did me in, but she does do a nice job.  And I have to agree about Malden.....Montalban and Mineo and Del Rio were okay....but all I could think of was....they're NOT Indians!

Being 1/16 Cherokee myself, well I don't know ENOUGH about the American Indian, but it's interesting when a major movie gets SO MUCH wrong....that even I know it.

JRand, it took me two nights to get through Cheyenne Autumn.

I agree with your comments JRand.  I have a several freinds who are Metís or have American Indian background and they have also opened my eyes to many things. DF who I mentioned several days ago is part Northern Cheyenne and had a word is his language referring to that movie that is not repeatable.  DF was much more positive towards House Made of Dawn and Powwow Highway.

It is never to late to learn....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2006, 11:41:22 AM »

Good morning. Just stopping in to say hi. I'm waiting for my parents to arrive, which should be any moment. I got things straightened up a little. It's a lot better than it was yesterday. I have to preserve my energy to try to keep up with mom shopping. She may be 78 but she's a terror at the mall. She must be the original power shopper!

I used to know a lady with energy like that. She sometimes put me to shame... Have fun shopping!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

:D

Lots of fun, a terrific score (that has been issued on CD in the past year!!!).  First time I ever saw Shelley Long on film.  Dennis Quaid also in it.

It was high silliness a la Monty Python....LOL.

Ron, I did not see any redeeming qualities of it. I love Monty Python and the two are not the same calibre. Maybe it is me....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2006, 11:46:32 AM »

Hello Jane, Penny, JMK!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2006, 11:47:57 AM »

I know that many people consider this film to be an art house treasure but I loathe with every fiber of my being

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover or whatever this stinking piece of shit is called.

I think it is the most prentious waste of celluoid I have ever seen. The people I was with loved it. I thought it stank worse than a decomposing body on a hot August day.

Don't hold back, Ben!  Tell us how you really feel!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2006, 11:50:11 AM »

This week is Ashland’s Independent Film Festival.  In honor of the festival the Bad Film Society will premier MAN WITH THE SCREAMING BRAIN, produced, directed, written by and starring Bruce Campbell. The paper calls him a local resident, IMDB says he lives in a neighboring town, whichever I’m a fan of his from THE ADVENTURES OF BRISCO COUNTY JR.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2006, 11:51:23 AM »

Hi DakotaCelt.

George

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2006, 11:53:19 AM »

Worst movie? Well, I'd say probably a tie between INCHON and BATTLEFIELD: EARTH. They were both ineptly made, hideously boring to watch, and a complete waste of time.

"Battlefield:  Earth" is one of the worse movies that I've ever seen. :P Every time I read about John Travolta playing Edna Turnblad, the only image that I get in my mind is him in "B:E"...not in any other movie that he's made (and he has made some very good movies) but that's the only thing that I can think of, so I really don't want to see him play Edna.  Just my 2¢. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2006, 11:57:09 AM »

One of the worst local productions that I've seen was Little Shop of Horrors several years ago (not the one I saw last week).  The Audrey couldn't stay on pitch and the voice of Audrey II was a local politician who thought he could sing (he couldn't) and the only thing that they did for the "Closed For Renovations" song was bring on one little vase with two or three plastic flowers...nothing else!  There was NO "renovations" at all.  Very bad.

George

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2006, 11:59:58 AM »

The worst actor in an otherwise great production was when I was at Western Washington University and they put on Macbeth.  It was wonderful...the sets, the costumes, the performers...except Macduff.  He was totally channelling John Wayne!  The way he spoke and the way he walked was pure John Wayne!  I couldn't believe that the director really wanted that or would let the actor (who I was told, was NOT like that in real life) get away with it.  He was totally in another play.

George

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2006, 12:13:04 PM »

Well, I'm off to work.  I want to make up a little time, so...be back later! ;D

Jane

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2006, 12:15:37 PM »

George-LOL, at least your production of Macbeth was good for a laugh.

Jane

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2006, 12:27:21 PM »

I’m doing it again, this time checking out a Bernese Mountain Dog rescue group.  There is a 4 ½ year old girl on there that would be perfect for me, she LIKES to be brushed and groomed.  She will probably find a family before we are ready to bring a dog home.  First we need to finish the remodeling and take our trip to Alaska.  It wouldn’t be right to get a dog now.

Yes, I know I said “no more pets” and I still feel that way.  Keith said I’m not to mention he is “pinning” for a dog anymore-oh I just did it again.;D  He would also love another Main Coon cat, so we shall see.  If he didn’t want another pet & I did, I would expect him to get one or two more, heck I surprised him with the last three cats.  

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2006, 12:30:48 PM »

The worst actor in an otherwise great production was when I was at Western Washington University and they put on Macbeth.  It was wonderful...the sets, the costumes, the performers...except Macduff.  He was totally channelling John Wayne!  The way he spoke and the way he walked was pure John Wayne!  I couldn't believe that the director really wanted that or would let the actor (who I was told, was NOT like that in real life) get away with it.  He was totally in another play.

Maybe he was possessed. That is funny.

That is the same feeling i had about the version of Little Shop of Horrors I saw.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 12:31:35 PM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2006, 12:32:42 PM »

This week is Ashland’s Independent Film Festival.  In honor of the festival the Bad Film Society will premier MAN WITH THE SCREAMING BRAIN, produced, directed, written by and starring Bruce Campbell. The paper calls him a local resident, IMDB says he lives in a neighboring town, whichever I’m a fan of his from THE ADVENTURES OF BRISCO COUNTY JR.

Jane, I also liked The Adventures of Brisco County,JR.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2006, 12:34:52 PM »

I’m doing it again, this time checking out a Bernese Mountain Dog rescue group.  There is a 4 ½ year old girl on there that would be perfect for me, she LIKES to be brushed and groomed.  She will probably find a family before we are ready to bring a dog home.  First we need to finish the remodeling and take our trip to Alaska.  It wouldn’t be right to get a dog now.

Yes, I know I said “no more pets” and I still feel that way.  Keith said I’m not to mention he is “pinning” for a dog anymore-oh I just did it again.;D  He would also love another Main Coon cat, so we shall see.  If he didn’t want another pet & I did, I would expect him to get one or two more, heck I surprised him with the last three cats.  

Poor Keith...

Bernese Mountain Dogs are beautiful animals. I used to have a Norwegian Forest cat that I got from a freind. They are on the same size as Maine Coon. Sadly I had to put him down when he was 5 years old due to renal failure. His name was Ace.

Jane

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2006, 12:49:17 PM »

Dakota, Echo was ten when we lost her.  We have videos of her taken before her eyes were open.  She and I went to nursing homes for almost ten years.

Jane

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2006, 12:52:46 PM »

There should have been a photo with that.  I'll try a different one.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2006, 01:06:48 PM »

Dakota, I can't seem to be able to post a photo.  This happens from time to time.  Echo was a perfect Berenese Mountain dog except she was on the small side, only 60 pounds.  If we get another one it will be much larger.

Norwegian Forest cats are also beautiful.  Five is way too young-sorry.  It was hard enough loosing Bogie (our Main Coon), to the complications from chronic renal failure, at fifteen.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 01:10:07 PM by Jane »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2006, 01:17:37 PM »

Dakota, Echo was ten when we lost her.  We have videos of her taken before her eyes were open.  She and I went to nursing homes for almost ten years.

Sorry for your loss... Echo sounds like a true gem and it was wonderful of her to be such a healer so to speak. Animals are truly amazing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up