Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BUT ENOUGH ABOUT ME  (Read 23521 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:BUT ENOUGH ABOUT ME
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2006, 12:54:43 PM »

I hope BK is feeling much better....I'm getting all stuffed up.

It's what happens when you take a leisurely stroll to and from a lunch spot five blocks away....all that AIR and sprintime matter IN that air.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2006, 12:57:04 PM »

Maybe I'll just skip the cake.  

My lunch is digesting beautifully, and I don't feel distressed despite that last shrimp roll.

I'm hungry for something...but I think it's something cultural...or at least entertaining.

Yes, that's it, I hunger for entertainment.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2006, 12:57:41 PM »

And page 5 is here...and here's an "Aristocats" cel for the page dance:

Well...apparently not.  The picture is a .jpg and is the correct size for posting...but it doesn't seem "to post."

Are we "full" or do we again have picture posting disorder?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 01:07:36 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2006, 01:19:30 PM »

Hey, Matt,

If I recall correctly, Sam's was your restaurant when you came to NYC. Well, it, like the others, is now history. Here is the link from Playbill On-Line:

Sam's

The only surprise was that it happened so unexpectedly. It closed last night with no advance announcement. A friend of mine had dinner there about two weeks ago and he said the place was deserted and the service was terrible and the food was bad. He complained and said they kind of listened but didn't do much more. An omen. The places next to Sam's Puelo's and Puelo's Too will soon be gone and the Steakhouse next to defunt Barrymore's is still there but the days are numbered.

There is now almost nowhere to go in Midtown for a decently priced, pleasant meal before a show. Diners are fine but sometimes you want something a little more that still isn't Lutece. As much as I like Joe Allen's, I find it very expensive for what it is, a former chorus hangout that is now a higher class joint.

Yes, it was always my first eating stop after landing in the theater district, so this is a sad, sad day.

And this past August when we came to NYC, we didn't make it to Sam's because our plane was delayed for three hours and we were too late getting into the city to eat lunch there. We just decided to wait and have dinner before the show at another restaurant. So, I will have to keep memories of Sam's alive from previous visits from longer ago than 2005.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2006, 01:21:17 PM »

Got my chores done (bank, grocery store, gas station) amid lovely weather, if a bit too warm for April for me. Still, no rain and it doesn't look like any today. Wonder if it bypassed us.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2006, 01:22:34 PM »

I get it...it's the morbid fascination of it all that requires that it be looked at in disbelief!

Bingo!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2006, 01:23:29 PM »

Started my day watching THE TONIGHT SHOW from last night. Ace Young came on for a few minutes, and I wanted to see what Jay would do with (to) him. Made him spin the consolation wheel, and he won a trip to Paris. Of course, the Paris he won was a Paris Hilton videotape, and he took it in great good fun.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2006, 01:25:15 PM »

Watched last night's WILL & GRACE. Millicent Martin was playing Karen's new maid, and she's always a hoot. Will ended up becoming the flight attendant doing beverage service after he always broke up the two male attendants who were lovers. These were all funny plots. The Grace story was not the touching reunion with Leo that I think the writers thought it was.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2006, 01:26:25 PM »

Watched one more CSI: NY episode, this one involving the robbery of a Chinese bank which went bad. Involving episode which also included a kidnapped child so there were two investigations going on at the same time.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2006, 01:28:08 PM »

I finished the afternoon watching three MONK episodes from the third disc in the Season 3 box. This included the last episode that featured Bitty Schramm as Sharonna and the first two episodes with Traylor Howard as her replacement Natalie. Bitty was more ascerbic a character, but Traylor is pretty feisty herself and a good replacement.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2006, 01:49:29 PM »

The Grace story was not the touching reunion with Leo that I think the writers thought it was.

Let's see...Debra Messing looking like total hell and the unbelievable plot point of Harry Connick Jr. actually "wanting" her in any conceivable way on the airplane..while she looked the way she did...who on earth did they think would buy it???

:D

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2006, 01:49:41 PM »

DR Pogue:  I don't figure poor Kevin Sorbo ever had any clout when it came to the script you reference.

Or any script, for that matter.  I think he was thankful he had a role to play.

I don't think Pogue is suggesting that Sorbo had "writing clout", but rather that his star presense fatally changed the film's direction in terms of target audience:

KULL was intended to capture all that moody, visceral prose of Robert E. Howard's original stories. It was intended to take heroic fantasy seriously...think the tone of LORD OF THE RINGS. I was thrown off, Kevin Sorbo came aboard, the core audience of fantasy fans was forgot, Mr. Sorbo's twelve year old Hercules fans were embraced. The script became eviscerated. What had once been a glossy-hided beast, now became a maggot-ridden carcass. It became a cartoon. A rolling juggernaut of illogic. It died at the box-office.

The above are CP's own words, immortalized in an interview found elsewhere on this site. (And where you can learn some great Gaelic romantic phrases like "Pogue Ma Hones".)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2006, 01:50:15 PM »

I just moisturized my left elbow because it was flaking very badly.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2006, 01:51:53 PM »

TPunk, hope all went well at the job fair.  Do we get a pic of you you’re your spiffy new interview clothes?

Jane

« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2006, 01:52:30 PM »

Vixmom, it’s very scary having fires close to home, so glad all is well.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2006, 01:53:45 PM »

Started my day watching THE TONIGHT SHOW from last night. Ace Young came on for a few minutes,

DD went to the same high school as he did (in Boulder). I think he graduated when she was a sophomore. Her best friend had a crush on him (he was buddies with said friend's older brother) and was mortified when Ace saw some mock video that DD and she had done.
I'm the Hedda Hopper of HHW!

Got a very late start on the day. When I got up this morning, I could barely move. I've been ignoring my aching back for two weeks - ever since I got back from NY - the flight did me in. Called the chiropractor and he had one appointment left at 9:45. I took it. He was not happy with the shape I was in, but his adjustment helped enough that it won't be too much torture to sit at my desk this weekend. I'm going back early next week.
Sooo - I had some errands to run after the back and neckl crunching, and a brief coffee date with a friend. Now I'm finally sitting down to write.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2006, 01:53:56 PM »

I don't think Pogue is suggesting that Sorbo had "writing clout", but rather that his star presense fatally changed the film's direction in terms of target audience:The above are CP's own words, immortalized in an interview found elsewhere on this site. (And where you can learn some great Gaelic romantic phrases like "Pogue Ma Hones".)

That may be, but what he wrote today is:

BK, I expect you to go up to Mr. Kevin Sorbo at the Ray Courts Show and ask him why he allowed the great script he had for KULL THE CONQUEROR to be ruined.  You'll notice right after that movie (I  think still to this day his only one), he fled right back to TV.

I never knew Sorbo had any sort of "star" clout to allow or disallow scripts to be changed.  For that matter, where is the evidence that he'd know a great script if he saw one?

Taking Sorbo to task for something others did without any deference to him seems like placing blame at the wrong door.

I've never thought of Sorbo as an actor who could steer the course of any decision being made about a film.

I'm betting all the critics blamed the writer!  ;)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 01:59:07 PM by Ron Pulliam »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2006, 01:55:21 PM »

Everybody knows when you go to the show
You can't take the kids along
You've gotta read the paper
And know the code of GPG and R and X
And you gotta know what the movie's about
Before you even go
Tex Ritter's gone and Disney's dead
And the screen is filled with sex

Whatever happened to Randolph Scott
Ridin' the train alone
Whatever happened to Gene and Tex
And Roy and Rex, The Durango Kid
Oh, whatever happened to Randolph Scott
His horse plain as could be
Whatever happened to Randolph Scott
Has happened to the best of me....

There is a local radio station that plays old songs only (just about anything from the 1920s to the 1970s) and very little talking.  That song came on last week and I remembered that my sister and I used to watch a movie on late night TV called "Drive In" and that was the theme song!  We loved it  (back then...haven't seen it since) and both remember the first chorus (except that I didn't know that it was "Durango" instead of "Drango" ::)).  I actually bought the movie on video last year, but I still haven't watched it.  I guess that that will have to be in my VCR this weekend!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2006, 01:55:38 PM »

Finished watching the video of Deceit - there are still just a handful of shots that are somewhat problematic, and we'll look at those before we uprez the video and finish letterboxing it.  Overall, though, it looks pretty terrific.  The sound mix will take some finessing.

I'm still trying to decide whether to go to the cocktail party at the Renaissance.  I'm still full of phlegm and coughing and I look awful, but it would give me a chance to pick up my panelist badge and info and then I wouldn't have to get there earlier than necessary tomorrow.  On the other hand, the traffic will be horrendous when I leave.

Jane

« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2006, 01:56:49 PM »

Cillaliz you have never had mumps?  I know it’s scary you can still get it even with both vaccinations.  I do not want my boys to get this-I still have hopes one of them will make me a grandmother.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 01:57:17 PM by Jane »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2006, 01:57:52 PM »

Cillaliz you have never had mumps?  I know it’s scary you can still get it even with both vaccinations.  I do not want my boys to get this-I still have hopes one of them will make me a grandmother.

Send them to a "bank" just to be safe!!!

:D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2006, 01:59:32 PM »

BE AFRAID - BE VERY AFRAID!

'Star Trek' Franchise Set for Revival
2008 Film to Be Directed by Man Behind 'Lost'

Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

Has Shatner the vaniety to think he can play a teen-ager in flashbacks? Dare I ask!

derBrucer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2006, 01:59:56 PM »

Quick question because I seemd to have completely forgotten the rules of English Style Usage as taught to me by Miss Simms lo these many years ago....

When writing a paper  etc. and mentioning the title of the following things what is the proper way of writing them? Novels, Plays, Songs, Short Stories  etc etc etc..

so for instance, were I to be writing the following sentence:

In John Smith's novel Plays I Have Loved, the character Edmund was enraptured by the song Memory in the  Broadway musical  Cats.

Which titles should be underlined or italicized or put in quotation marks?  I knew this once but my poor befuddled brain cannot access the correct memory cells.

HELP!!!!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 02:18:20 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2006, 02:02:02 PM »

I just moisturized my left elbow because it was flaking very badly.

I have a left shoulder-blade that is a miracle of loveliness. People come miles to see it. My right elbow has a fascination that few can resist

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2006, 02:07:20 PM »

Sorbo was coming off a hugely successful show.  His clout changed a film that had been intended to be an "R" to a PG-13 and was dumbed down from the dark,moody Robert E. Howard  tone to accommodate what was his 12-year old fan base.  I was also told that  he wanted the two very strong women roles toned down, so he that his character would be "stronger."  What apparently was not understood was that having his character caught between two strong women made his character all the stronger.  I don't know if he was in anyway responsible for the whole film becoming one big rolling juggernaut of illogic.  

But he tried to placate me before the release telling how great the film was going to be and how great the script was and how they feel they remained faithful to the essence of it. I might have believed him more if the unrequested autographed picture he included with the note had been inscribed to Charles Edward Pogue as opposed to Edward Pogue.  I wrote him back and essentially told him that if they all had loved the script I had done so much, why had I been thrown off the film?  

Most of the blame though goes to Raffaella De Laurentiis, who  no one will be able to convince me didn't deliberately undermine KULL (which had been a script everyone at Universal had loved, including her) as revenge over a falling out we had during DRAGONHEART which she also allowed to be diminished.

Jane

« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2006, 02:09:46 PM »

Ben water is very good for your muscles, not a time to be skimping on it.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2006, 02:20:54 PM »

Trust me, Ron, Sorbo and his manager were in script meetings that I WASN'T present in.  I was just presented with a bunch of changes I suspect were designed to throw me off the script.  I got the whole truth from the very topline exec at Universal at the time who was overseeing the film.  Many of those actor ego "concerns" about the script were placated.

And, yes, in many quarters the writer got blamed.  But thanks to a very smart PR blitz I did (I was one of the first writers I think to hire a PR man...which has now become de rigeur for many writers), the truth came out in many genre magazines and articles.  That's why Sorbo sent me the letter; I had earlier beaten Raffaella at that game when I hired a PR person to handle my publicity on Dragonheart, which caused a big furor, including a huge article in the LA TIMES.  

Sorbo, probably at the behest of Raffaella, was trying to butter me up to keep me quiet during KULL.  Of course, KULL came and went so fast, there wasn't a need to do as much self-defense PR on it as there had been on Dragonheart.  I ended up in Cinefantastic being mentioned in the 50 most important stars of Sci-fi/Fantasy as a star on the rise, saying essentially I wrote really great stuff but didn't have the clout to keep it from getting destroyed.  Raffaella ended up  in the star descending section, mentioning I believe her desecrations of my two scripts.

The whole fracas is what eventually got me elected to the WGA Board where I ran on one issue...Creative Rights.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2006, 02:23:13 PM »

When writing a paper  etc. and mentioning the title of the following things what is the proper way of writing them? Novels, Plays, Songs, Short St  etc etc etc..

Briefly, titles should be underlined or set in italics (although many of us prefer putting them in quotation marks (we are "typists", not typesetters).

Another rule I do NOT like to follow -  periods and commas should always be placed inside of the quotes: I liked the play "The Lion King."

This rule can yield things like: I liked  "Rent!."

der Brucer

vixmom

« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2006, 02:24:24 PM »

Darn, Charles, you should have said something a couple of weeks ago, I could have  had the Vixter kick him the knee for you when she met him  last month
 ;D

vixmom

« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2006, 02:31:21 PM »

Briefly, titles should be underlined or set in italics (although many of us prefer putting them in quotation marks (we are "typists", not typesetters).

Another rule I do NOT like to follow -  periods and commas should always be placed inside of the quotes: I liked the play "The Lion King."

This rule can yield things like: I liked  "Rent!."

der Brucer

Thanks DerBrucer.. this was driving me nuts!!! So the following would be correct?

In John Smith's novel, Plays I Have Loved, the character Edmund was enraptured by the song "Memory" in the  Broadway musical  Cats
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 02:33:33 PM by vixmom »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up