Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: RAIN  (Read 16094 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: RAIN
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »

I guess the days of home-cooked Sunday meals for the family are a thing of the past. 

Many of those went away when Mom started commuting an hour or more a day to a forty plus hour job.

Many working Moms would rather treat the Family to a nice Sunday dinner-out after church than to be busy in the kitchen while Dad watches football.

der Brucer

and Woody notes that many of the weekend diners in Studio City are weekend tourists that have no handy home for Sunday dinner.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:28:36 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2012, 04:15:33 PM »

It is a shame so many of the children couldn't sit through the show.  I'm glad your niece enjoyed it enough to cackle. :)

I was wondering why anyone would take a 2-4 year old to the theatre. My mom figured it was because the parents knew that this was the only time the show would play here. And so they probably thought their child could handle it.

I don't think that many kids left. But i could hear the girl behind me saying she was bored and she was asking if it was over. And like i said the kid in front of me left.

It is a kids show. But i don't think kids under 5 would really be able to handle it (being quiet, not fidgeting, not being bored).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »

Many of the younger kids did not really seem to be able to sit.

Then again I suspect there were some who sat still - enthralled by the whole experience (but they would probably go unnoticed). My four year old grandson was better behaved during Lion King then were some of the adults - he talked to no one, had no cell phone, and had no candies to unwrap. There was no question about taking him - you can’t take  the 7 years old and leave the 5 year old behind because he might not behave; you take the five year old and are prepared for a parent to take him to the lobby if he has trouble with theatre manners.

Kids will never learn theater manners if we do take them! Shows like Shrek are a perfect place to start - we adults should cut them a little slack - they will grow up to be the supporters live theatre so desperately needs,

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »

Congrats on those numbers, Ginny!

FJL

« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2012, 04:27:06 PM »

Max on castrecl sent out an email to the group on the new Kritzerland release.

Ben

« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2012, 04:33:13 PM »

June 17th: It seems everyone who has seen ONCE loves it.  Is this play based on the movie?  Keith & I didn't like the movie at all & especially didn't enjoy the music.

June 18th: I'm surprised on DR JMK responded to my question regarding ONCE.

Jane, I'm responding so you don't think we're ignoring you.

Yes, the musical Once, opening tonight on Broadway, is based on the movie. If you didn't like the movie you won't like the musical. They made some minor changes to the story which make it more theatrical and they added two new songs but, basically, the movie has been transformed to a stage musical.

I think Celtic/Folk/Roots music can be an acquired taste. That being said, I think the music in the movie and on stage added to the beauty of both pieces.

I respect the fact that you didn't like the movie. You're not the only one (or you and JMK are not the only ones) but it has garnered more praise than dislikes. It isn't a matter of right or wrong. That kind of response is rude and, I feel, useless. I liked it. You didn't like it. As BK says often, that's the horse race (or something like that). I've had the idea that I'm wrong because I didn't like something, or "I'm sorry you didn't get it" thrown at me too many times to buy the argument. It's art. Many people have different feelings and interpretations of art. It's not a one size fits all affair.

I don't know that there is much more to say about it. Again, I'm perfectly fine with you not liking the movie. There are MANY movies that people here adore which I can't sit through (The Court Jester being one, the pestle sequence makes me run screaming from the room). I just chalk it up to my eclectic tastes  :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:37:55 PM by Ben »

Ginny

« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »

Congrats on those numbers, Ginny!

Thank you, DR FJL!  They still have to take out expenses, but we try to keep those pretty low.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »

Yes, DR Jane, I'm enjoying Major Pettigrew very much!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »

Richard invited me to go for a walk with him, but we decided I'd better not risk falling down again today.  I stayed home and took a snooze so I can stay up for University of Cincinnati's late basketball game.

FJL

« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »

Ooh, I missed the other news, Ginny.  Feeling-good vibes to you!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »

I'm surprised on DR JMK responded to my question regarding ONCE.

I'm sorry, I have absolutely no clue what this means.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »

Nice poster DR GEORGE.

Thanks, JRand.  It looks a lot spiffier in person. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2012, 05:28:35 PM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  We are back from Lima, where I caused a little commotion.  After the service and coffee hour, Fr. Richard and the mission committee had a meeting and I was sitting in the lobby reading my book.  The woman who'd hosted coffee hour today was cleaning up in the kitchen and called for me to help her get the top off the coffee pot.  As I charged across the fellowship hall, my heel hit a slippery tile and I went down, crashing into the furniture on my way.  I'm sure it sounded worse than it was and I wouldn't let Judy interrupt the meeting.  My left arm took the brunt and I have bruises developing on my upper arm, forearm, wrist, and pinkie.  I may have our family doctor check me out tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.

Other than that, it was a delightfully smooth trip up and back...

~~~Feel Better and Bruises-Be-Gone Quickly Vibes for DR Ginny!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2012, 05:28:53 PM »

Just got an email telling me that our book sale brought in more than $9000!  Lots of good scholarships...

Congrats on the sales!!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2012, 05:30:45 PM »

... the pestle sequence makes me run screaming from the room...

What - have you no taste man!

How can any educated art lover not love the pestle sequence?

;D

der Brucer

I suffer regular home-abuse becasue I'm not fond of PASSION, and am now being taken to task becasue I'm not all that interested in seeing The Artist!

Ginny

« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »

Ooh, I missed the other news, Ginny.  Feeling-good vibes to you!

Thanks, DR FJL!

JMK

« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2012, 05:33:38 PM »

Max on castrecl sent out an email to the group on the new Kritzerland release.

When?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2012, 05:33:40 PM »

Thanks, DR George, on both counts!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2012, 05:36:33 PM »

June 17th: It seems everyone who has seen ONCE loves it.  Is this play based on the movie?  Keith & I didn't like the movie at all & especially didn't enjoy the music.

June 18th: I'm surprised on DR JMK responded to my question regarding ONCE.

Jane, I'm responding so you don't think we're ignoring you.

Yes, the musical Once, opening tonight on Broadway, is based on the movie. If you didn't like the movie you won't like the musical. They made some minor changes to the story which make it more theatrical and they added two new songs but, basically, the movie has been transformed to a stage musical.

I think Celtic/Folk/Roots music can be an acquired taste. That being said, I think the music in the movie and on stage added to the beauty of both pieces.

I respect the fact that you didn't like the movie. You're not the only one (or you and JMK are not the only ones) but it has garnered more praise than dislikes. It isn't a matter of right or wrong. That kind of response is rude and, I feel, useless. I liked it. You didn't like it. As BK says often, that's the horse race (or something like that). I've had the idea that I'm wrong because I didn't like something, or "I'm sorry you didn't get it" thrown at me too many times to buy the argument. It's art. Many people have different feelings and interpretations of art. It's not a one size fits all affair.

I don't know that there is much more to say about it. Again, I'm perfectly fine with you not liking the movie. There are MANY movies that people here adore which I can't sit through (The Court Jester being one, the pestle sequence makes me run screaming from the room). I just chalk it up to my eclectic tastes  :D

The reason I'm asking is I didn't realize they were the same & wanted to see the musical, not to be critical of anyone who likes the movie.   It may just be I didn't like the singing voice of the lead in the movie since I don't think I'm anti Celtic music.  I really wanted a comparison of the two, to know if not liking the movie didn't mean I wouldn't like the play.  Thank you for responding.  From your response it appears chances are strong I would feel the same about the Broadway musical as I did about the movie. 

Jane

« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2012, 05:36:50 PM »

Yes, DR Jane, I'm enjoying Major Pettigrew very much!

:)

Jane

« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2012, 05:37:53 PM »

You responded that you didn't care for the movie.  Since you haven't seen the stage version you weren't much help to me. ;)

George

« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2012, 05:39:01 PM »

Thank you for the advice. I'm notsure how this will go down, and I've been carrying this feeling about the friendship falling apart since mid-January. My initial response is to say, screw you, consider him no longer a friend and go on. It took me years to disown the Macbeths - which I did not want to do - but whichproved one of the smartest things i've done. Oy!

On a happier note, ONCE opens tonight, and I have no idea what its reviews will be like. If you're buying the CD, I suggest going to Barnes & Noble for their "special edition," which includes the Czech number and David Patrick Kelly's wonderful rendition of "Raglan Road" that ends the cast's onstage warmup before the show actually begins. Yep, curtain time may be 8:00 but around 7:40 the fun begins.

I bought the regular CD from Amazon and got the iTunes bonus track, "Chandler's Wife" from iTunes.  I was able to get the two B&N tracks (don't ask ;)), so I have all three. 

JMK

« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2012, 05:39:30 PM »

You responded that you didn't care for the movie.  Since you haven't seen the stage version you weren't much help to me. ;)

It was the "I'm surprised on DR JMK responded. . ." part that was confusing.  What does that mean?

Jane

« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2012, 05:40:15 PM »

... the pestle sequence makes me run screaming from the room...

What - have you no taste man!

How can any educated art lover not love the pestle sequence?

;D

der Brucer

I suffer regular home-abuse becasue I'm not fond of PASSION, and am now being taken to task becasue I'm not all that interested in seeing The Artist!

LOL  I wasn't taking anyone to "task".  I simply wanted a comparison of the two.

Jane

« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2012, 05:41:55 PM »

It was the "I'm surprised on DR JMK responded. . ." part that was confusing.  What does that mean?

There has been a bit of excitement here over ONCE so I was surprised you were the only one to respond to my questions.  I expected the responses to come from our NY DR's.  I appreciated your response since you, Keith & I seem to be the only people I know who weren't thrilled with the movie. ;D

George

« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »

Hello, Goodbye

Matthew, I think you'll appreciate this.  Instantly, the way that I read this was to the tune from Evita:

Hello and goodbye,
I've just unemployed you.
You can go back to school
You've had a good run.

Etc....

;)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2012, 05:43:09 PM »

Hi everyone - tonight, we are hosting the Exe Chef from the 4 seasons (where the DP works) and his GF, who loves the DP's work.  Does the DP have a dessert planned?  Of course not.  Will everyone be disappointed, of course they will.

Jane

« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »

Oh no DR Matthew!  I hope the dinner is a big hit in spite of not having a dessert.  Is he good at whipping up great dishes at the last minute?

Jane

« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2012, 05:47:06 PM »

I just noticed the time.  I have things I've usually done by now, such as eating dinner.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2012, 05:51:42 PM »

;D
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up