Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BLURBS  (Read 27901 times)

td

• td
Re:THE BLURBS
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2003, 02:13:24 PM »

I don't think that I can top Panni's danger story; my dangers are all outdoors: walking alone late at night through parks, walking city streets alone after dark - - there are other things, but, this is a family site.  GET your MINDS outta the guttah! ! !  Public displays of affection USED to be quite dangerous here in the 'burgh.

the 'burgh, assonancely associated with the blurbs; which to my mind are fantasitco!  Bravo, BK!

Well, I am off to a theater meeting - eek! - then off to pick up my copy of BREL on dvd.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2003, 02:14:29 PM »

Too obvious or does no-one really know the source of the song lyrics I quoted re "Thanksgiving Day" in yesterday's notes? Don't you hate it when your posts are ignored?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2003, 02:14:38 PM »

Gotcha, BK!

;D

And here I thought we might have been about to gain some keen insights into the human race!   ;)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2003, 02:15:42 PM »

How about:

We feasted on gnu on the QEII!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 02:16:05 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2003, 02:16:50 PM »

Huh? Wha....?

Didja say somethin', Tommy?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2003, 02:17:41 PM »

Do you mean to tell me that someone wrote a song about THANKSGIVING?

Besides Irving Berlin??????
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 02:18:09 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2003, 02:19:09 PM »

Jane:  Quickly now!  Post something!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 02:19:25 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2003, 02:20:04 PM »

Holy mackerel, Sapphire!

Only 300 more posts until 1,001!

Tomovoz

« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2003, 02:21:53 PM »

"Thankgiving Day's Parade" was the "b" side of the Spencer Ross 45rpm single  "Tracey's Theme"(from "The Philadelphia Story") in 1960. You needed to know that.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2003, 02:25:51 PM »

On a red label...but I forget the company....I don't think it was Columbia.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2003, 02:27:02 PM »

Hi, I’m back from L.A.  I hope Keith entertained you while I was gone.  You certainly kept him entertained.  Echo injured her shoulder and wasn’t doing well at all last Friday.  He had taken her to the doctor who tranquilized and X-rayed her.  The rest of the day she was groggy and kept crying.  I’m pleased to say she is much better now though it will be awhile before she can go for a walk.

I had a delightful time with Bruce and Jay.  It was a pleasure to meet Jay and he was so kind to make the dinner arrangements.  I look forward to doing getting together in the future.

Maya, I see a beautiful new picture of you.

Lulu, is that a self portrait?   Did you draw it?

Bruce, the blurbs are exceptionally nice and of course only increases my anticipation of the forthcoming book.

Panni, I’ll miss you.  When will the story of your escape be televised?  

“Also on the news was a Mayflower moving van had overturned on I-580 and burst into flames.  All traffic going across the Bay Bridge was stopped.  And folks could see furniture in the van....burning to cinders.”  Our first move from LA to New Jersey was with Mayflower.  We still cringe when we see a Mayflower truck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2003, 02:29:37 PM »

Too obvious or does no-one really know the source of the song lyrics I quoted re "Thanksgiving Day" in yesterday's notes? Don't you hate it when your posts are ignored?

What was the question again, Ozzie?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2003, 02:30:33 PM »

Storytime…

Once upon a time, when I was much younger, I was admittedly down on my financial luck and was living in a very seedy hotel on Hollywood Boulevard.  It was easy to get to my job from there, but I was still just managing to live hand to mouth.

Well, one night a gang had found their way into the hotel, looking for trouble, and not finding any they had decided to create some of their own.  As I was going to my room, the leader of the gang came up to me and, without even saying so much as “Excuse me” whapped me in the nose, breaking it.  They then proceeded to chase me down the hall, yelling “Get the faggot!" and slamming me against a fire door, breaking my shoulder.  I’m still not sure how I managed to get through that door and away from them; I think someone else may have shown up, and that the gang wasn’t cool about having witnesses.

This was before the term “hate crime” had been coined, by the way.  Just a historical footnote.

The doctors at the emergency room were able to put my arm in a sling, and give me some pain pills and a referral list of doctors.  I’d managed to call a friend who lived not too far away, who agreed to put me up for the night, as there was no way I was going back to that hotel.  But by this time, even the busses in Hollywood weren’t running, and I wasn’t thinking too clearly, so I decided to walk.

About a block or two from my friend’s place, a trio pulled up behind me in a car and hopped out.  One of them waved a pistol in my face and hissed, “Give me your money!”  I was pretty groggy at this point, the pain pills working their effect, and could only manage the intelligent response of “Huh?”  “I said, give me your money!” he repeated, a little louder this time.

At this point I just started to laugh, which threw the fellow and his fellows.  (Odd, how they never show up alone, or at least they never do in my experience.)  Rather loudly, I told him “I don’t have any money!”  This drew a gulp from my assailant.  “Will you keep your voice down!  And, uh, give me your money.”  He wasn’t sounding so sure this time.  I just stared at him, and calmly, but even more loudly, told him “You idiot!  I’ve just been mugged!  You’re too late, the other guys got all my money!”  By this time he’s starting to shush me, and waving with his hands in a downward motion to be quiet, which looked kind of odd with that gun he was carrying.  “Look at my shoulder!  Do you think I’d be wandering the streets of Hollywood with a broken shoulder and my arm in a sling at this time of night if I hadn’t already been mugged?”

The poor fellow looked at his cohorts, who could only shrug in return.  They hopped back into their car and drove off, and I made the rest of the way to my friend’s place without incident.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 02:31:56 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2003, 02:31:17 PM »

Jane:  Quickly now!  Post something!

Was that fast enough?  I have been busy reading Friday’s and today’s posts in-between running back and forth to do my laundry and.
Tomorrow we are leaving again to spend Thanksgiving in Portland with our son.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2003, 02:35:24 PM »

Fast enough, indeed, Jane.

Was Keith merely reading, or did he post under your log-on, too????   ;)

I wonder if, when DR Tom from Oz plays hide-and-seek with Colin, someone shouts out:

Ozzie! Ozzie! Oz in Free!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2003, 02:42:38 PM »

Jane, so nice to see you back, safe and sound, at least for the day.

That is something we could shoot for next spring when the weather starts to improve -- A Washington / Oregon HHW Gathering in Portland.  Jed, Ann, George, and I (oh, and Tom from Oz) could come south and the Oregon folks could come north.  I love Portland in the spring.  Well, actually, I love Portland anytime!
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2003, 02:51:13 PM »

OMG, DR S. Woody, what a horrific story. I think many of us cringe at the thoughts of something like this happening, and here you endured it twice in one night. Nightmare would be putting it mildly!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2003, 02:51:19 PM »

TCB #266 yesterday. We were without power for 20 minues and I have missed so much! Welcome back Jane. Your next task is to get Keith to register!
Jack. Yes Columbia. Here in OZ the label for Columbia releases was "Coronet" - a green label.
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #198 on: November 25, 2003, 02:53:07 PM »

I would like a song called, "I am a goddess". Emily and Maya can you please work on that!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2003, 02:58:59 PM »

OMG, DR S. Woody, what a horrific story. I think many of us cringe at the thoughts of something like this happening, and here you endured it twice in one night. Nightmare would be putting it mildly!
Ah, heck, another day in the life...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2003, 03:00:29 PM »

DR td, I hope you'll post your reactions to JACQUES BREL after you have watched it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #201 on: November 25, 2003, 03:03:58 PM »

I know you needed this:
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #202 on: November 25, 2003, 03:04:34 PM »

Tommy, I was joking!  I saw the poem yesterday.  You were saying that you had been ignored, so I was just proving that you were correct.  LOL.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: November 25, 2003, 03:09:17 PM »

Panni is "retiring" from HHW?  Rather sudden.  Such drama.  Ah well, people come, people go, like Grand Hotel.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2003, 03:17:10 PM »

Everyone disappeared.

Tomovoz

« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2003, 03:19:41 PM »

I just lost a post somewere! I have a tendency to read LOL as "Lots Of Love". Thanks TCB. The lyrics (ignored) are by a couple of guys who wrote very successfully for Stage and Screen.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 03:20:45 PM by Tom from OZ »
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2003, 03:23:01 PM »

I just lost a post somewere! I have a tendency to read LOL as "Lots Of Love". Thanks TCB. The lyrics (ignored) are by a couple of guys who wrote very successfully for Stage and Screen.

Stage & Screen Magazine?
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2003, 03:25:41 PM »

That is something we could shoot for next spring when the weather starts to improve -- A Washington / Oregon HHW Gathering in Portland.  Jed, Ann, George, and I (oh, and Tom from Oz) could come south and the Oregon folks could come north.  I love Portland in the spring.  Well, actually, I love Portland anytime!

And what about DR MBarnum who also lives in the pacific northwest! Hmmm! Is he not invited??

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2003, 03:27:42 PM »

Jane, so nice to see you back, safe and sound, at least for the day.

I'd love to make a roadtrip to Portland!  Count me in! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2003, 03:29:43 PM »

DR SWW - scary story, and even scarier experience I am sure.

DR TOZ - thanks the Coronet label photo, I had never seen it!

PANNI you are too young to retire!!!

DR TCB go watch your tape.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up