Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: I AM THE STEAM MAN  (Read 28190 times)

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
Re:I AM THE STEAM MAN
« Reply #270 on: November 21, 2003, 05:12:51 PM »

Jrand: Change the title of what song?
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #271 on: November 21, 2003, 05:15:58 PM »

Frankly, TCB, I'm very surprised at your take on this!

Civil Rights violations and First Amendment rights are being violated willy nilly.

Who's to say what is truly going on in this case?  Doctors have been known to lie in court and out of court if there was the possibility of money.  Despite the media's claims, there is a heck of a lot we DON'T know about this case.

I would have bet money that you, of all people here, would appreciate due process UNDER THE LAW and the presumption of innocence until guilt is proven.

What's next? Illegal home invasion?  Wiretapping confessionals?

You are surprised at my take on this?  You would have bet that I of all people...?  Ron, do you have any idea what I do for a living?  I work for Children's Protective Services for the State of Washington.  I am one of those mandatory reporters that is required by law to report any incident of abuse.  And I am grateful for the protection under the law.  From my office alone, I could take and stack the case records of proven abuse against children by parents, babysitters, coaches, neighbors, etc.; and that stack would be, at least, as tall as a three story building.  And that is just one office, in one city , in one state, out of fifty states.  That is a disgusing amount of abuse.

No where did I say that I favored the rights of the media, illegal home invasions, or wiretapping.  Not did I once say anything about anyone being found guilty without a trial or in the court of public opinion. I was talking about allegations of abuse, not guilt.  Please don't try to slant my views or put words into my mouth.  I was responding only to Bill's comment that the doctor should lose his license for reporting these accusations to the authorities.  I could care less about Michael Jackson, the LA. Times, or the National Enquirer.  I care about the right of a child to be safe from abuse from anyone, and the right to have an adult listen to him and believe him when he tries to tell someone, anyone, that he is a victim of this kind of abuse.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #272 on: November 21, 2003, 05:16:21 PM »

Okay, break's over.

Bruce, you're right.

I'm at work and I now have to clean the staff kitchen.  Everyone on staff has to sign up and clean it, usually no more than twice a year, and now it's my time.  I hate to clean it.  I hardly ever use it.  I hardly ever even clean my own kitchen...why in the world would I want to clean someone else's kitchen?  Oh, the humanity!  :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #273 on: November 21, 2003, 05:22:34 PM »

Re: the Jackson case.  The Doctor did not break doctor/patient confidentality.  My wife is a therapist she, like all in her business and doctors and certain others have "a mandated duty" to report any cases of abuse or ongoing violence.  The therapist is the hero of this case, for my money.  The Jackson camp keeps trying to turn this into some sort of spurned parent shake-down case, but the facts I heard was the kid was being teased by his schoolmates about being friends with Jackson, the mother took him to the shrink, the shrink heard the allegations and did his duty and reported it to the police and DA's office.  They got the story from the therapist, not the mom or the kid...and let us not forget that they also spent 13 hours roaming around the guy's house...I suspect they have some pretty good corroborating evidence.  I'm tired of everybody forgiving Michael because "he's just a child in a man's body".  If the ordinary 45-year-old plumber from down the street had plastic surgery until it ravaged his face into some sort of cartoon fright mask where his nose keeps falling off and then asked if your kid could come to his place and have a sleep-over, you'd be aghast!  Time Wacko Jacko grew up and entered the real world.  I'm sure there are plenty of folk who'll want to "sleep-over" with him in prison.

Jed

« Reply #274 on: November 21, 2003, 05:27:25 PM »

Media update...

In keeping with this weekend, I currently have JFK in the DVD player.  And following a presidential theme, I have Primary Colors waiting to go in next.

CD - Al Jarreau "Tenderness"

VCR is empty at the moment

More later... must catch up on today's posts...
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

François

« Reply #275 on: November 21, 2003, 05:30:37 PM »

The question is, and WAS asked yesterday: why "decent" parents would let their child be entertained overnight by Michael Jackson?

Aren't the parents RESPONSIBLE in that case too?
And do they have to lose common sense because their child is invited by someone RICH and FAMOUS?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #276 on: November 21, 2003, 05:32:25 PM »

I am watching DOWN WITH LOVE...  An old 20th Century-Fox logo with the CinemaScope indicia is used at the beginning.  This movie was not shot in true CinemaScope was it?  It doesn't seem to be.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

François

« Reply #277 on: November 21, 2003, 05:33:11 PM »

Oh, and TCB;

I second all you said in your last post!
In my book, you're a very decent man!
Thank you !

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #278 on: November 21, 2003, 05:35:07 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Good vibes to  MayaMyPapaya on her audition tomorrow!  ;D

Whose papaya?  Don't you mean "MayaMark'sPapaya"????

My'a, my'a, mya... I resemble that reMark.

MBarnum

« Reply #279 on: November 21, 2003, 05:35:41 PM »

I want some Dorothy Provine music too!!

JRand53, do you have that Warner Bros. Christmas album that features Robert Conrad, Dorothy Provine, and other Warners stars singing Christmas songs? I keep seeing it on Ebay and am hoping a CD of it might show up someday!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #280 on: November 21, 2003, 05:39:34 PM »

I don't think DOWN WITH LOVE was shot in Cinemascope. I think it was shot in Panavision, but I could check the credits in VARIETY to be sure. I('ll do that in a minute.

I have been meaning to re-watch JFK myself for the last several days, and I just never seen to get around to it. Looks like I'm going to be here for most of the evening, so I guess it'll have to be tomorrow afternoon and evening for it. Now to go check DOWN WITH LOVE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #281 on: November 21, 2003, 05:41:59 PM »

DR William Lurie, no one is more vehemently opposed to Mr. Ashcroft and his Patriot Act.  But I do not see where it is an erosion of our civil liberties by making a "mandate reporter" report situations of ongoing violence or abuse...or frankly, for me, impending violence.  So let me ask you, hypothetically, if you were a lawyer and you knew a client of yours was going to commit a murder would you honour client/lawyer privilege and let an innocent be murdered? Those who let evil thrive are  a part of the evil.  Doctors and therapists and social workers have probably saved many lives of battered women and children by getting them out explosive situations where they ultimately might have been killed.

And to answer your question, YES!  Under similar circumstances, I think priests should have to break confidentality as well...mostly against themselves. We've seen the litany of seething corruption and broken lives, thanks to  the tacit vow of silence that goes on within the Catholic hierarchy.  Next to Ashcroft, I think Cardinal Roger Mahoney the most evil man in America.

Michael

« Reply #282 on: November 21, 2003, 05:42:20 PM »

Sha na na na na....hey hey hey...goodbye  ;D  by

STEAM

Is the male version of the play by Nell Dunn?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 05:45:18 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #283 on: November 21, 2003, 05:42:36 PM »

Thank you, François.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #284 on: November 21, 2003, 05:45:21 PM »

Yep, I was right. I was shot in Panavision.

Of course, I meant to say DOWN WITH LOVE was shot in Panavision. If I change what I wrote above, Francois' comment won't make sense so I'm offering the correction here. Thanks, Francois! ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 05:55:42 PM by Matt H. »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #285 on: November 21, 2003, 05:49:46 PM »

Lulu, it looks a little like Tuesday Weld before she went blonde

If it's Tuesday, this must be Belgium
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Emily

« Reply #286 on: November 21, 2003, 05:50:28 PM »

I was supposed to go see a movie tonight with some friends but they have cancelled on me at the last minute.

I have been stood up on a Friday night.  Sigh.  :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

François

« Reply #287 on: November 21, 2003, 05:52:39 PM »

Ooh, Matt H!

Did it hurt???? :o

Matt H.

« Reply #288 on: November 21, 2003, 05:52:41 PM »

The HHW forum is LOTS more fun than any movie. (BTW, what were you going to see?)

Laura II

« Reply #289 on: November 21, 2003, 05:55:12 PM »

Mymy: Break a leg at your audition! You'll be phenomenal!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

François

« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2003, 05:55:43 PM »

Oh, oh, DR Michael Shayne!

I WON'T go into that.... Priest AND child abuse!!

And I'm not joking a bit!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2003, 06:07:58 PM »

DR Francois,

I agree.  Parents are culpable too.  As I said, if it was just your average forty-five year-old-slub from down the street inviting a kid on a sleep-over at his house,  parents would be calling the cops.  The seduction of wealth and celebrity makes parents pimp their kids.

Jed

« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2003, 06:08:27 PM »

Now if the thousands of teachers working for State education here had all paid 5% of their salaries for my 50th birthday present (even though they did not know me)..........

Well, if teachers down there are paid like they are around here, your present still would have been bought at the thrift store!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #293 on: November 21, 2003, 06:17:39 PM »

While I often believe where there is smoke there likely is fire, the fact of the matter is that MJ will be tried in the press long before his case enters a courtroom.  Well, not the press, exactly, but the media.  I waver between the questions of  whether he could ever get a fair trial--whatever the venue--and whether this will be another in a series of celebrity cases where a mega-million dollar attorney apparently finds a way to steer a jury away from a conclusion based on evidence.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #294 on: November 21, 2003, 06:22:29 PM »

Well, all I can say is that it's the second day of this business, and I'm already bored with it. It's going to be on TV non-stop, and I'm already kind of dreading it.

Our movie collections should come in handy over these next weeks.

Michael

« Reply #295 on: November 21, 2003, 06:30:09 PM »

Oh, oh, DR Michael Shayne!

I WON'T go into that.... Priest AND child abuse!!

And I'm not joking a bit!

I have removed it. I apologize if it offended you.
Never stop dreaming.

François

« Reply #296 on: November 21, 2003, 06:38:05 PM »

No, no, no!
DR Michael Shayne!
You haven't done anything wrong!
I was NOT offended! I'm the one who was a little "cynical" -- sarcastic?? -- and was making a connection between two different subjects which can also be touchy!

I'm sorry my sayings were confusing and, actually, DR Charles Pogue made things even more explicit on post #281 : I quite agree with him too!

Tomovoz

« Reply #297 on: November 21, 2003, 06:39:27 PM »

Now if the thousands of teachers working for State education here had all paid 5% of their salaries for my 50th birthday present (even though they did not know me)..........
Well, if teachers down there are paid like they are around here, your present still would have been bought at the thrift store!
At least we get to do something we love. Sometimes the appreciation comes back years after the effort - and yes it really is more important than the money. Teaching is indeed undervalued as a profession.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 06:40:07 PM by Tom from OZ »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #298 on: November 21, 2003, 06:42:36 PM »

Much vibage to DR Maya.  I trust you'll have a kick-ass audition!

Love the pic, Lulu!  I'm not 17, but I'd be giving you stuff, too. ;)  To heck with the DH.

As another of the mandatory reporters, I am glad the rule is what it is.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #299 on: November 21, 2003, 06:49:34 PM »

Thanks for checking MATT - it didn't seem to be CinemaScope and Panavision makes a lot sense looking at the setups.

No, MBarnum I don't have that WB Christmas album.  All I can say is, the Bros Warner certainly wanted a lot for their $125 per week.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up