Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: UP TO SNUFF  (Read 16977 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: UP TO SNUFF
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »

Here I am with my partner Debbie!  Our routine is done and we have five weeks to perfect it!

I think we can win without a quad!   ;D

DR Jrand - Have you picked out your (matching) outfits yet?
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2010, 06:16:04 PM »

I'm typing in the dark. A circuit blew on Friday and it's the one with all the useful lights and outlets. An electrician will come tomorrow; and Greg has narrowed down the problem in the meantime. Vibes we're empowered soon!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2010, 06:18:10 PM »

Earlier this week they had tons of the $10 Canada red olympic mittens (the ones oprah had). But they are all gone now. Apparently they had to ship them all to vancouver. I find this very odd. I guess there is a huge shortage there.

DR Cillaliz can now sell hers for $100 on ebay!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2010, 06:19:01 PM »

I must have wanted to be a conductor at the age of one year. I really have no ide how old i am in this photo.

DR elmore - That's a great pic! Is that a quasi-hobby-horse that you're sitting on?
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2010, 06:20:42 PM »

Love the photos from JRand and the one of little Elmore!

Edisaurus

« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2010, 06:21:46 PM »

DR Ben just sent me a delightful snippet from Radio Wales. I look forward to his reviews of the new shows!

td

• td
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »

I just shopped at Target for shower gifts - three of mum's great nieces are all getting married in the next four months - and picked up THE GODFATHER on blu-ray for 17.99!  I may watch it tonight.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2010, 06:34:07 PM »

I must have wanted to be a conductor at the age of one year. I really have no ide how old i am in this photo.

DR elmore - That's a great pic!

Sure is! :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »

I'm enjoying TAR

Me too!

*And those dimples too!  CUTE!  ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2010, 06:52:37 PM »

Oh, my, aborigines on ice  :o
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2010, 07:05:13 PM »

I feel so bad for Canadian women's figure skater Joannie Rochette.  Her mom came to vancouver to watch her skate and she died suddenly this morning of a heart attack. :(

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Canadian-figure-skater-Joannie-Rochette-s-mother?urn=oly,221093

I read this this afternoon and was truly sorry for her. I'm glad she's going to continue to compete. She can skate for herself and in memory of her mother.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2010, 07:07:25 PM »

DR MATTH - those are some of my favorite episodes from Season One, as well.

Reading FLIGHTS OF FANTASY really put that crazy shooting schedule into perspective....I don't know how they kept everything straight!

Glad you enjoyed the book.

I'm in the appendix section now, but I really enjoyed both books, and I do thank you so much for recommending them. I had no idea they existed, and they fill in SO many gaps about the series' production. Really fascinating.

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »

DR MattH - Welcome back from 2006! ;)

Glad to BE back. It's absurd, of course, that I let these memory hogging HD programs sit on my DVR for four years, but truthfully, when I needed to find something to watch for 10 minutes before something I wanted to see began, they were convenient programs to switch on and just watch skating for 10 minutes or so. And since there were skaters I was pulling for and definitely a skater I was pulling against, I was not anxious to let these programs go without keeping them on some kind of media platform.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2010, 07:13:02 PM »

Well, I ended up back at Lincoln Center earlier today for the matinee of the New York City Ballet's "All Robbins" program.  The first half consisted of "Dances at a Gathering" choreographed to a series of piano pieces by Chopin - which were played brilliantly by Cameron Grant.  The second half was the "West Side Story Suite" which is basically a 45-minute version of West Side Story.  It sure was nice to see the true, original choreography from/for West Side Story again (with some necessary modifications for dramatic flow).  -And it was also nice to see that some of dancers did their own singing.  -Five offstage singers are used to help "round out" the sound.

*And I still start to get teary-eyed whenever that bassoon figure starts at the top of the ("Maria") "Cha-Cha".
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »

I began my evening by watching THE READER, one of the big award-winning films for 2008. I have to say I greatly enjoyed it, far more than SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE which won the Oscar for Best Picture or FROST/NIXON which I saw last night. I got very wrapped up in this curious story and found it beautifully told.

I'm still not sure I would have given Winslet the Oscar over Meryl Streep, but it's apples and oranges. They're both wonderous performances.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »

Next, since I had also recorded this last night, I watched the recent remake of THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1 2 3. The film didn't need remaking, and this version seemed padded and drawn out. I found Travolta completely absurd. Washington was slumming even though I know he's a great friend and fan of Tony Scott's. The ending was complete rubbish.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2010, 07:17:33 PM »

I think that was the first time I've ever felt truly uncomfortable watching The Olympics. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2010, 07:18:40 PM »

I began my evening by watching THE READER, one of the big award-winning films for 2008. I have to say I greatly enjoyed it, far more than SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE which won the Oscar for Best Picture or FROST/NIXON which I saw last night. I got very wrapped up in this curious story and found it beautifully told.

I'm still not sure I would have given Winslet the Oscar over Meryl Streep, but it's apples and oranges. They're both wonderous performances.

DR MattH - I forget/lost track - Have you seen "Revolutionary Road" yet?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »

I only had about 20 minutes left in the evening, so I started flipping through the free On Demand movies and came across A TALE OF TWO CITIES, the 1958 version with Dirk Bogarde which DR JRand recommended a week or so ago. I was up to my eyeballs with work then and didn't have the DVR space to spare to record it when it last came on TCM, but here it is On Demand, so I started watching it. I only got about 15 minutes into it, but I should have time to finish it tomorrow.

So far, it's OK. The introduction by the TCM alternate host mentioned only CHristopher Lee being a familiar face to viewers. When I saw the cast list, I saw at least half a dozen familiar names in the cast. Did he not consider DOnald Pleasance a familiar name?

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2010, 07:21:25 PM »

Yes, I did see it. Very melodramatic, but Winslet gave a wonderful performance, possibly better than in THE READER.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2010, 07:21:31 PM »

YEAH!

I just scored tickets to tomorrow's taping of "The Daily Show" via Twitter.  HOO and RAY!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2010, 07:22:48 PM »

Yes, I did see it. Very melodramatic, but Winslet gave a wonderful performance, possibly better than in THE READER.

That's what I was wondering about: what you thought about Kate Winslet's performance(s).  I thought she should have won for that one too.  -And I still think it was a crime that Leonardo di Caprio was not nommed.
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2010, 07:29:12 PM »

I think that was the first time I've ever felt truly uncomfortable watching The Olympics. :-\

Perhaps if I had been drinking this would all make sense.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2010, 07:39:22 PM »

I just finished watching the short program & thought they changed the costume. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2010, 07:40:09 PM »

So...

Should I change the spelling of my name to "H-O-S-E"?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2010, 07:45:35 PM »

Earlier this week they had tons of the $10 Canada red olympic mittens (the ones oprah had). But they are all gone now. Apparently they had to ship them all to vancouver. I find this very odd. I guess there is a huge shortage there.

DR Cillaliz can now sell hers for $100 on ebay!

LOL!  Actually they are the warmest mittens I've ever had, fleece lined knit mittens. I won't be parting with them, I'll be wearing them!

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »

So...

Should I change the spelling of my name to "H-O-S-E"?

;)

Only if you are one of the US Americans in our nation who doesn't have a map

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2010, 07:49:40 PM »

I just shopped at Target for shower gifts - three of mum's great nieces are all getting married in the next four months - and picked up THE GODFATHER on blu-ray for 17.99!  I may watch it tonight.

What an interesting shower gift!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2010, 07:52:32 PM »

Well, I ended up back at Lincoln Center earlier today for the matinee of the New York City Ballet's "All Robbins" program.  The first half consisted of "Dances at a Gathering" choreographed to a series of piano pieces by Chopin - which were played brilliantly by Cameron Grant.  The second half was the "West Side Story Suite" which is basically a 45-minute version of West Side Story.  It sure was nice to see the true, original choreography from/for West Side Story again (with some necessary modifications for dramatic flow).  -And it was also nice to see that some of dancers did their own singing.  -Five offstage singers are used to help "round out" the sound.

*And I still start to get teary-eyed whenever that bassoon figure starts at the top of the ("Maria") "Cha-Cha".

I think "Dances At A Gathering" is the most moving and stunning ballet I have ever seen.  Ut moved me to tears with its beauty and mysterious finish.

As for the photo of me at the age of one or so, i don't know what the hell I am sitting/riding on. The only toy I have a memory of from the three years we lived with my grandmother at 711 Tenth Avenue is a Cowboy Copas doll I dearly loved. I left it outside one night and the rain destroyed it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2010, 07:56:10 PM »

Really enjoyed the Ice Dancing.  I found it interesting that the people dancing to US Country music were from other countries.   MBarnum, one of the US teams skated to music from India. Apparently they studied Indian dance and their costumes were authentic. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up