Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CONUNDRUM OF THE YAWN  (Read 36506 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE CONUNDRUM OF THE YAWN
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2007, 07:27:20 AM »

When I was teaching, I never dreamed about school, students, or the classroom. Since I retired, I dream about it regularly, but never in a good way. I'm always dealing with a troublesome student (faceless) or grousing about some ridiculous paperwork that was taking time away from the students. I really detest these dreams.

I had many wonderful memories from my thirty years of teaching, but I never seem to recall those in my dreams. I only relive uncomfortable situations (which is no doubt why I had no desire to continue teaching as the difficult students and paperwork were increasing alarmingly during my last years.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 07:27:40 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2007, 07:29:55 AM »

Page Three Hermione and Ron Dance!!!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2007, 07:30:24 AM »

Before my ancient 20 year old cat died, I knew his time was up and struggled with whether to put him to sleep, or let him go on his own. I had a dream about him in which he stroked my face with his paw and let me know that it was OK, and that he was ready to go. I woke up crying, but at the same time felt like I had received an answer.

I went into the living room, where he was laying on the floor ( he'd suddenly developed vestibular syndrome and had no balance) and I lay down on the floor next to him, looking into his eyes. Even though he didn't have much strength, he reached out his paw and stroked my face, which was covered in tears, just like in my dream.

That sealed my decision. I had videotaped him the day before, when he was having trouble walking, and took it to my vet. I was all ready to ask the vet to come to my house to give him the shot. But the vet surprised me and said that a cortisone shot might help the vestibular syndrome, and that I would know within 24 hours.

While we were waiting for 24 hours to see what would happen, he went into a seizure (he'd been having them every month or so) and then heart failure, I think. We were both holding him when it happened. Although it was tough, having that dream made it easier for me and ready to accept it, because I felt that he already had.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2007, 07:31:16 AM »

One of my favorite dreams---haven't had it in awhile, is when I dream about my GaGa. I always feel good after one of those dreams, like we had a nice visit together.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2007, 07:31:48 AM »

Today I have definitely slotted the series ACTION to begin viewing. I may pick back up with THE WILD WILD WEST, too, since I had gotten to disc 4 in the second season set and had put it aside for other shows and films.

The second season of DANTE'S COVE is now in my possession, too, so I may crack that open as well.

Kerry

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2007, 07:33:04 AM »

Happy Solstice to all!!!!
I like boat races.

Edisaurus

« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2007, 07:33:24 AM »

And of course---haven't had this for awhile, but the perennial favorite:
I have one test to take before I graduate, and not only haven't been to the class all quarter, but can't even remember what class it is supposed to be so I don't know how to find it! Who HASN'T had this dream??

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2007, 07:33:49 AM »

The most memorable dream I had is now 50 years old, and I still remember it. It was during the height of THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB's popularity. I used to dream quite often about Tim Considine, that he was my friend, and we would participate in fun activities together like swinging on ropes across a creek and building campfires and roasting marshmallows.

Edisaurus

« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2007, 07:34:17 AM »

Speaking of "the longest day", I used to like that movie when I was a kid.

Edisaurus

« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2007, 07:35:18 AM »

Happy Solstice to all!!!!

Hi, Kerry! Nice to see you here!

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2007, 07:35:38 AM »

I've never liked JOESPH/DREMCOAT at all, but the small Broadway version is the least objectionable to me. Once it was blown up into this woolly mammoth of a musical, it became insufferable.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2007, 07:36:50 AM »

Some friends and I are considering attending a performance of THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE (stage version) at some point over the next few days. It's not a great show, so I'm the least enthusiastic about going, but we'll see.

Edisaurus

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2007, 07:37:16 AM »

I've never dreamed of flying, or of being naked in a clothed crowd, but I do have an unpleasant dream of being in a car going down a hill, with brakes that don't work. Plus I'm usually going backwards and trying to steer so I can stay on the road. If *that*'s not symbolic of something...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2007, 07:42:42 AM »

I'm back from my eye exam. Outside of the fact that I am legally blind without benefit of visual assistance, everything looked in order.  I have drops in my eyes so bright lights bother me and my vision is blurry but I hope all will be back to normal by mid-afternoon.  I liked the doctor a lot; he was friendly, efficient, and found no problems.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Excellent Vibes & Xylophones To BK For A Successful Brain Transplant Today! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2007, 07:44:55 AM »

TOD:

...which was filled with a dismembered body and my head sitting on top of it.  I woke up quite alarmed.  

Quite understandable, I'd say.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2007, 07:45:49 AM »

Great cat story, Edisaurus. The dream was timed perfectly to give you comfort.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2007, 07:46:02 AM »

Like DR GEORGE, I seldom remember my dreams. I have had no recurring dreams that I recall.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2007, 07:46:26 AM »

I've never had the naked in public dream, either, but I remember that when I was a youngen back in grammer school I would have dreams of suddenly being in nothing but my long thermal underwear in class.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2007, 07:47:29 AM »

CONGRATS to Skip on such a wonderful HERRINGBONE review! I'd love to see the show.  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2007, 07:48:01 AM »

When I was a kid, I would fall asleep with the radio on and it would lead to all kinds of weird dreams in which the pop songs of the day would incorporate themselves into my dreams.

One time, I dreamed I was in gym class and my pretty gym teacher was quitting, so we were doing jumping jacks while singing "Babe" by Styx. I was so overwhelmed with sadness, I woke up crying.

singdaw

« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2007, 07:48:05 AM »

DR elmore3003, my eye doctor has this new-fangled contraption that allows him to get what he needs without those hated dilation drops.  Hoo and Ray for that!  :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2007, 07:54:22 AM »

The most memorable dream I had is now 50 years old, and I still remember it. It was during the height of THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB's popularity. I used to dream quite often about Tim Considine, that he was my friend, and we would participate in fun activities together like swinging on ropes across a creek and building campfires and roasting marshmallows.

Are you channeling Michael Barnum? Of course he'd want to do all that with Tim Considine at his current age, so you can add to the list "lead his walker."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2007, 07:54:56 AM »

Some thoughts for DRs to ponder...

Which is worse? A bad dream? Or a wonderful dream?

The bad dream you wake up from and feel great relief.

The wonderful dream you wake up from with the disappointment that it was only a dream.

Of course the bad dream is worse while you're dreaming it.

But haven't you had wonderful dreams before that you wish you hadn't had?

I've had dreams before that have transformed some girl I was just friends with to an object of incredible desire. The power of dreams is unbelievable.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2007, 07:56:35 AM »

I've never liked JOESPH/DREMCOAT at all, but the small Broadway version is the least objectionable to me. Once it was blown up into this woolly mammoth of a musical, it became insufferable.

Amen! I loved the version with Bill Hutton and Laurie Beechman as well.  I had a friend in it, one of the brothers, who left the biz and became an attorney.  I still think it's Lloyd Webber's best show: all the pastiche and silliness of his more serious shows and nothing he writes here outstays its welcome.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2007, 07:56:35 AM »

Re: mail delivery problems.

I live in a neighborhood where all streets running north and south have NORTH or SOUTH in their names. This creates all sorts of havoc as many people have no idea which is which, or choose not to bother with that part of the address.

There's an association at the NORTH counterpart to my SOUTH address. Many, many times my mail has been delivered to them, whether the address was correct or not, and vice versa. The most unsettling was the check I was expecting that they received. They did send it on to me (the address was correct), but the envelope had been opened. A simple error, perhaps, but unsettling just the same.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2007, 07:57:19 AM »

Must go run errands.

WBBL and try to catch up.

Michael

« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2007, 07:57:59 AM »

Seriously, I do, of course, know of David Carroll.  He was a very talented actor/ singer who taken far too soon by AIDS.  He died while recording the OBC recording of GRAND HOTEL.  He was replaced by an actor by the name of Brent Barrett.

Mr. Barrett has had work done on his face. click on link to see a slide of his new face.

http://brentbarrett.com/brentsite/galleryframes.html

I think he looks a bit like Eric Roberts

I think this photo is presurgery.

He must have used Davis Gaines' doctor because after his surgery he no longer looked the same either
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:00:55 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2007, 07:59:13 AM »

Some friends and I are considering attending a performance of THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE (stage version) at some point over the next few days. It's not a great show, so I'm the least enthusiastic about going, but we'll see.

I detested and loathed and abominated the Broadway production, which had none of the stylishness or chic of the overlong film, although I did like Gavin, Marc, Harriet Harris and the office manager. I didn't like Sutton Foster, who's quite lovely, until DROWSY CHAPERONE.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2007, 07:59:13 AM »

Are you channeling Michael Barnum? Of course he'd want to do all that with Tim Considine at his current age, so you can add to the list "lead his walker."

No, no channeling. When I was having those dreams, DR MBarnum wasn't even born yet.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2007, 08:02:54 AM »

I detested and loathed and abominated the Broadway production, which had none of the stylishness or chic of the overlong film, although I did like Gavin, Marc, Harriet Harris and the office manager. I didn't like Sutton Foster, who's quite lovely, until DROWSY CHAPERONE.

I've pulled out the cast album to give it a spin. Haven't listened to it in years.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up