Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAZAM!  (Read 33141 times)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:SHAZAM!
« Reply #270 on: January 10, 2004, 07:50:38 PM »

Heck, I'm only 24 and I don't "get" RENT either. :D  But, I was never much of a teeny bopper, either.

You'd better not be implying that I was! :D

Danise

« Reply #271 on: January 10, 2004, 07:57:23 PM »

Danise: Seriously. It is the distance from the equator that determines the warmth or otherwise. I was joking about the height. It does get colder the further you are  above sea level. The seasons are indeed reversed. You could opt for the tropics - the seasons are "wet" and "dry". It is always warm. Not for me though as my favourite seasons are Spring and Autumn. As some other Dear Readers have discussed long ago, the truly interesting fact is that of the water going down a plug hole - clockwise or anticlockwise and what happens at the equator.

I know.  I'm just pulling your leg.  But I didn't know about the Clockwise/anti clockwise.  I'd like to see that!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #272 on: January 10, 2004, 08:04:53 PM »

37 degrees here folks.  Wind chill puts us at 32.  Burrrrr!  Think warm thoughts!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #273 on: January 10, 2004, 08:06:07 PM »

Just watched a screener of PIECES OF APRIL.  I enjoyed the film. Small and quirky. Wonderful performance by Patricia Clarkson, who is becoming one of my favorite actresses. She's bound to get an Oscar nom this year - either for this film or for THE STATION AGENT.

Jed

« Reply #274 on: January 10, 2004, 08:06:32 PM »

We're at 32 degrees here... warmest temp in over two weeks! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #275 on: January 10, 2004, 08:11:56 PM »

Pancakes?  Am I thinking about pancakes?

How To Steal a Million: I'm an hour in and it's really quite flat - it's amazing that this kind of cast, writer, director and crew come up with such a withered souflee.  That said, it's gorgeous to look at, as is Miss Hepburn and Mr. O'Toole.  I just love glossy pix like this so even though it's not good, I watch on.

Pancakes?  Am I thinking about pancakes?  Let's all meet at Du-Par's.

Danise

« Reply #276 on: January 10, 2004, 08:12:26 PM »

But Jed,  I'm in Central Florida, not the great white north!  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #277 on: January 10, 2004, 08:14:08 PM »

How To Steal a Million: I'm an hour in and it's really quite flat - it's amazing that this kind of cast, writer, director and crew come up with such a withered souflee.  That said, it's gorgeous to look at, as is Miss Hepburn and Mr. O'Toole.  I just love glossy pix like this so even though it's not good, I watch on.

Is this the film where the ads say you can give away the ending but not the beginning? Or am I thinking of another film?
Never stop dreaming.

Jed

« Reply #278 on: January 10, 2004, 08:14:20 PM »

Pancakes usually sound good to me, but I'll have to pass at the moment.  Just had an oh-so-gourmet dinner of Mac'n'Cheese with Spam chunks. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2004, 08:15:45 PM »

The Writers Guild deal was very simply our President Victoria Riskin (daughter of actress Fay Wray and writer Robert Riskin) had not done enough work in the guild to be eligible to be president.  This was not really new news, the question of her eligibility was being debated and discussed even before the last election.  She supposedly got a last-minute deal that made her eligible, but many thought it a "fake" deal given to her by a friend just to stave off ineligibility.  But whether it was a sweetheart deal or a legitimate deal, she apparently did not do the work on it to make her eligible.  A member of the guild challenged her eligibility, an idependent investigator was brought in, he found determined at the time of the election, she was indeed, by the rules and constitution of the guild, ineligible to run for office.  So the VP Charles Holland has stepped into the presidency and is the guy who I thought should have run for president in the last election anyway.  The sad thing is that immediately after Ms. Riskin resigned, saying she wanted to do what was best for the guild, in the next breath she blamed the guild staff for her troubles.

Danise

« Reply #280 on: January 10, 2004, 08:16:03 PM »

If my Michael Crawford rose dies because of this cold weather, I'm gonna be VERY, VERY upset.  

I'll take pancakes if I can have a cup of coco with them.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #281 on: January 10, 2004, 08:17:21 PM »

Since West Coasters are just now watching the skating, I will refrain from posting information about the winner, but I will say that neither the pair skaters nor most of the ladies distinguished themselves tonight. There were some fine moments with the ladies, but there were too many mistakes not made on especially difficult moves. Only one skater truly skated a clean, inspired program. The others ranged from fair to good. The pairs couples were very disappointing. We are truly in the second or third tier of world class when it comes to pair skating.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #282 on: January 10, 2004, 08:19:07 PM »

Michael Shayne: I believe you are thinking of the film Gambit, with Michael Caine and Shirley MacLaine.

Jason

« Reply #283 on: January 10, 2004, 08:19:15 PM »

People who post here are supposed to be entertainment enriched people.

Wow. I didn't know anyone who posted here was supposed to be anything but a human being. Perhaps I should go back and read the rules of posting at Haines His Way...? And by the way, I've never seen a Bogart movie, either...including CASABLANCA...and I'd like to think that I'm "entertainment enriched."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 08:26:16 PM by Jason »

Michael

« Reply #284 on: January 10, 2004, 08:22:11 PM »

I couldn't wait so I had some waffles instead.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2004, 08:22:12 PM »

Human beings?  We don't need no stinking human beings.  (That line is a paraphrase from a Bogart film).

PANCAKES!  DU-PAR'S.  Do we have no adventurous Hainsies/Kimlets?

Matt H.

« Reply #286 on: January 10, 2004, 08:23:15 PM »

I agree, bk, on HOW TO STEAL A MILLION. With great talents like William Wyler, Hepburn and O'Toole, it should have been great. It seemed leaden to me when I saw it in the theater in 1966. But I forgot all about it when TWO FOR THE ROAD came out, one of my favorite movies of all time. I watch my laserdisc of this film quite often, and it was way, way ahead of its time. Didn't do as well at the box-office as HOW TO STEAL A MILLION and got virtually no recognition, not even for that brilliant Mancini score or the great performances. Of course, Audrey's box-office smash the same year WAIT UNTIL DARK provided her Oscar nomination in 1967, but I've always wondered if they had waited a few months and released DARK in 1968, would Audrey have been nominated for TWO FOR THE ROAD in 1967?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #287 on: January 10, 2004, 08:25:45 PM »

Well, Jason, it depends what you mean by "entertainment enriched".  If you are a film lover, it is inconceivable that you haven't wanted to see Casablanca.  It's just one of those films - perfect in every way.  Some of the greatest dialogue ever written coupled with expert direction and performances.  Even people who have just a passing interest in movies seem to have seen it, which is why it's so surprising that several people here haven't.  It's not a criticism.  I would suggest, humbly, that you rent it, buy it, see it.

Michael

« Reply #288 on: January 10, 2004, 08:26:08 PM »

Wow. I didn't anyone who posted here had to be anything but a human being. Perhaps I should go back and read the rules of posting at Haines His Way...? And by the way, I've never seen a Bogart movie, either...including CASABLANCA...and I'd like to think that I'm "entertainment enriched."

But they are a lot of great films that were made before 1980. I just think that one needs to be more rounded. And not to have seen a Humphrey Bogart film is not to have seen some of the great movies with some of the great film stars directed by the greatest film directors and written by some of the greatest film writers.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #289 on: January 10, 2004, 08:27:39 PM »

Didn't Two for the Road do okay?  I know it got good notices.  It was really well-directed by Mr. Stanley Donen.  I saw it eight times, that's how much I liked it (I mean eight times in two weeks).

Danise

« Reply #290 on: January 10, 2004, 08:29:35 PM »

Well folks, I'm adjourning  to my cave to hibernate.  Unless things warm up, I may just stay there until Spring.  I’ll just take an extended leave of absence from work.  

I enjoyed the ice skating.  I didn’t want to say anything either but I will say one skated to Loreena McKennitt.  Yay!  And I loved that one costume–the white one.  You’ll see what I mean.

Goodnight or see ya in the Spring!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #291 on: January 10, 2004, 08:31:07 PM »

And not having seen a Bogart film makes something like THE CHEAP DETECTIVE or PLAY IT AGAIN SAM also meaningless movies where you're going to miss a majority of the jokes, particularly the former film which parodies many Bogart classics.

Matt H.

« Reply #292 on: January 10, 2004, 08:34:09 PM »

No, bk, I'm looking at the box-office list for 1967, and it was not one of the top 20 films. Number 20 was UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE (which I loved, BTW) with $5 million.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #293 on: January 10, 2004, 08:34:51 PM »

Pancakes? Drats!  Maybe that's what I should have had just now instead of the quite yummilicious Steak and Cheese sub from Mary Angela's - great food (pizza, subs, pasta), great prices, open late, and they deliver!  -Although, I went ahead and drove there tonight - just a mile away - since it truly is not a comfortable walking temperature right now outside.  Brr...

Oh, and their subs only come in an 8" size.  Heck, I'll take what I can get.  ;)

And I made sure and put a few cans of Diet Cherry Coke in the fridge earlier too!

It was a very good sub, and well worth the trip out into the winter night.  *BUT I did have a little scare... When I turned the key in the ignition the first time nothing happened...  I tried again... Nothing...  But then I noticed that all the lights were working and that my clock was still indicating the correct time.  So, after a couple of moments, I tried again... WHEW!  Big sigh of relief.  Must be the cold.

But now pancakes... Hmmm.. Maybe tomorrow morning... But will I have them before my massage?  Or after my massage?  -Yeah!  A massage!  Hmm... Probably afterwards...

Oh, and DR Jason - the VCR is currently running...  -Oh, and the husbands are cute in this one too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #294 on: January 10, 2004, 08:36:48 PM »

Danise keep the stories coming, they are gems.

JoseSPiano thank you.  I will try that tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

MBarnum, glad I’m not the only one.  It only happened to me once and that was when we first changed over.

Goodnight

Jason

« Reply #295 on: January 10, 2004, 08:38:15 PM »

Michael: I know you don't mean to sound condescending (or perhaps you do...I'm not sure), but I assure you that I am quite familiar with films that were made before 1980, and I am familiar with great performances, great writing, great directing and great cinematography. To be quite honest, I've had no great desire to see CASABLANCA, so I've never watched it. I've also never been able to sit through GONE WITH THE WIND. I have nothing against either film, I've just not had a great urge to go out and rent them. CASABLANCA is on my NetFlix list, and when it arrives, I will watch it, but I must say, to imply that a person is not well-rounded because they haven't seen a certain movie (for whatever reason) is somewhat off-putting. Not everyone on this board is an avid film buff. I, for example, know more about theatre than I do film, and I have learned and continue to learn about film through the posts at HHW. The fact that someone has never seen a certain film or certain actor, however, does not make them an ignoramus. As I said before, I'm sure you didn't mean it as an off-putting statement, but it came off that way.

Matt H.

« Reply #296 on: January 10, 2004, 08:46:09 PM »

DR Jason, when CASABLANCA comes (and I hope it's the newest 2-disc set) watch the film once for your own edification, and then a second time, tune in Roger Ebert's disection of the film in the running commentary which makes quite a few wonderful points about why CASABLANCA is considered one of the greats in all moviedom.

Jason

« Reply #297 on: January 10, 2004, 08:48:54 PM »

Will do, Matt. It will only be one disc (they only send one disc at a time), but I assure you that in a few months, I will be better rounded. ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #298 on: January 10, 2004, 08:50:03 PM »

Very true, very true.  Since he discovered Nehaflix.com, their revenue has gone up 125%!!!

LOL! And my Visa company has never been happier!

Michael

« Reply #299 on: January 10, 2004, 08:50:21 PM »

Michael: I know you don't mean to sound condescending (or perhaps you do...I'm not sure), but I assure you that I am quite familiar with films that were made before 1980, and I am familiar with great performances, great writing, great directing and great cinematography. To be quite honest, I've had no great desire to see CASABLANCA, so I've never watched it. I've also never been able to sit through GONE WITH THE WIND. I have nothing against either film, I've just not had a great urge to go out and rent them. CASABLANCA is on my NetFlix list, and when it arrives, I will watch it, but I must say, to imply that a person is not well-rounded because they haven't seen a certain movie (for whatever reason) is somewhat off-putting. Not everyone on this board is an avid film buff. I, for example, know more about theatre than I do film, and I have learned and continue to learn about film through the posts at HHW. The fact that someone has never seen a certain film or certain actor, however, does not make them an ignoramus. As I said before, I'm sure you didn't mean it as an off-putting statement, but it came off that way.

It was not meant to be that way. But I just got the feeling that by announcing you never seen a Bogart film or Gregory Peck film (Who made films into the 1980's) it was like making it a badge of honor.

So many of this films are on the list of the greatest American films ever made.

It makes it like by not seeing a classic film one has never read Shakespeare or Mark Twain or an Arthur Miller play. Or heard music from Bach or Mozart.

It was just when I was your age I had seen these movies, I had read Shakespeare and I had listen to Bach. This is why I just find it hard to believe that one has never seen a Bogart film or a Peck film.

I hope you can see where I am coming from.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up