Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE  (Read 61027 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2008, 04:45:14 PM »

My throat is feeling a little raw today - it started around noon.  I bought some Airborne and Coldeez and while I was at CVS doing so, guess what I found?  Twizzler's Chocolate Licorice, the first time I have ever seen them in Studio City or anywhere else in LA.  Very good news and now I'm only sorry that I overpaid by a 1.50 on eBay.  They're under $2.50 here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »

At long last, page seven.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »

Hmm...

On tonight's "Jeopardy", there's a category "Broadway Shows By Role".  Alas, three of the five "questions" were originally movies (that were turned into musicals).  :-\

It's J-e-o-p-a-r-d-y.

I'd blame Canada if I were you.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2008, 05:36:52 PM »

No posts in almost an hour - really, this is most annoying.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2008, 05:47:11 PM »

T.O.D.

ASK BK DAY

BK, how soon before you can give us an updated list of who will be performing at the December 1, Bacharach AIDS Event?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Kerry

« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2008, 05:51:32 PM »

Here's a post. 

It's allergy season everywhere.  We're all feeling it.

Got my CD/DVD shelves up and have twice as many videos, DVDs,and  three times as many CDs as will fit.   I think it's time to start weeding through all that (among everything else in my life).   I did come across many treasures i have not been able to get to for awhile.  The stuff was stored in my linen closet (which gave me no room to store linens or clothes).  Everytime I'd open the door, Ed Sullivan would fall on my head.  OK, that's an exaggeration; sometimes it was Bing Crosby.

I like boat races.

Cillaliz

« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2008, 05:56:30 PM »

Think I'll go make some Dutch lettuce

But...but....what did the Dutch ever do to you?

(And how the heck can you make them lettuce?)

Well, as my mother says "you ain't much if you ain't Dutch" ok, SHE doesn't say it but the blue delft plate on her wall does. 

Dutch lettuce - that's what my family has always called it - is leaf lettuce with boiled potatoes cut up in small pieces, hard boiled eggs cut up and ham (if you want to - I leave it out) chunks.  Then you fry a little bacon and onion (I like a sweet onion for this) when the onion are translucent or maybe a titch brown and the bacon looks done, you pour in vinegar and a little sugar. Let it cook a little and pour it over the lettuce, egg, potatoes and ham.   It tastes great but leaves a lot of dirty dishes

Cillaliz

« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »

Don't ask me proportions, you just guess

Kerry

« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2008, 06:00:28 PM »

I need to go to the store.

Laters!
I like boat races.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »

Congratulations, Ron, on your milestone!
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2008, 06:07:34 PM »

I'll try to get a current list of who's performing by Friday.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »

Oh, I don't know - I like having a Hero Member.  We can't have enough heroes, these days.  And all our haineshisway.com family are both heroes and members.

And we certainly can't have enough members.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2008, 06:09:07 PM »

I hate when my throat feels like this - scratchy and raw.  Hopefully the Airborne and the Coldeez and the EmergenC will all help.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »

And I also had an "altercation" with a young man who was probably no more than nine or ten years old...

He was tossing a football on the sidewalk with some of his friends.  As I neared them, he began to take out his cellphone - it was one of those flip-top deals...

"Hey, can I have your number so that I can call you?"
-I laughed at him... "No."
"Ha, ha, ha... No. Well, you better be careful.  I'm going to take your picture now so that I can rape you later."

WTF?!?!?!?

Was this anywhere near The Reservoir?
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2008, 06:31:34 PM »

Congrats Ron...that's a lot of typing

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2008, 06:32:49 PM »

Well, I think I will head off to bed.  This is going to be a very long and busy weekend coming up.  It is my 40th high school reunion on Saturday night.  Somehow, don't ask me how, that unpopular kid from High School Drama ended up hosting the Friday night, pre-reunion pizza and beer party at The Cloverleaf Tavern (Linda Evan's favorite pizza place).

In addition, I have two ex-girlfriends flying into town to celebrate the reunion by spending some quality time with me.   Besides that, Stan is still in ICU and Angel has been getting sick all week, probably because of a lack of attention on my part.

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2008, 06:34:47 PM »

I will admit that I was totally wrong about Herb Alpert becoming popular (but of course, I didn't realize that he was backed by the Mafia).

Please elaborate.

At some point (before or after he started A&R records), they "approached" him and made sure that his records were played on every radio station, every juke box, etc.  Granted, he was talented.  He finally in later years had a breakdown over the pressure.   I believe he got out of the contract with the Mob (which is why you didn't hear much from him for some time).  He revealed all this several years ago.

I'd love to know your sources for this, as a lifelong fan of A&M with many personal friends who have worked with Herb and Lani through the years.  Herb's "breakdown" had nothing to do with the "Mob" in any story I have ever read or been told.  But perhaps I've not read the information you evidently have.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2008, 06:48:31 PM »

Just had a wonderful telephonic call from my ex-agent, who, thanks to this site, I reconnected with.  He just fell head over heels in love with Benjamin Kritzer, and will be reading the other two books this weekend.  He wants to run with them and has several ideas for directors.  Doesn't mean anything will happen, but to finally have someone who read that book and "saw" what it could be (and I only think it will be strengthened by the two subsequent book).  And I'm anxious for him to read the two Hofstetter books, because I really think he'll see the potential of those, two.  But he told me he laughed out loud as he read BK and was very touched at the ending.

Cillaliz

« Reply #198 on: October 08, 2008, 06:58:25 PM »

Just had a wonderful telephonic call from my ex-agent, who, thanks to this site, I reconnected with.  He just fell head over heels in love with Benjamin Kritzer, and will be reading the other two books this weekend.  He wants to run with them and has several ideas for directors.  Doesn't mean anything will happen, but to finally have someone who read that book and "saw" what it could be (and I only think it will be strengthened by the two subsequent book).  And I'm anxious for him to read the two Hofstetter books, because I really think he'll see the potential of those, two.  But he told me he laughed out loud as he read BK and was very touched at the ending.

Great news BK!  Vibes to continuing good things for Benjamin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #199 on: October 08, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »

My throat is feeling a little raw today - it started around noon.  I bought some Airborne and Coldeez and while I was at CVS doing so, guess what I found?  Twizzler's Chocolate Licorice, the first time I have ever seen them in Studio City or anywhere else in LA.  Very good news and now I'm only sorry that I overpaid by a 1.50 on eBay.  They're under $2.50 here.

bk - Did you find one of those mini-memo recorders while you were at CVS too?  ;)

*I remember seeing Chocolate Twizzlers the last two times I was in L.A. at various stores.  And the candy counter at Philippe's has Cherry Ripes too.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2008, 07:22:57 PM »

Fantastic!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2008, 07:28:12 PM »

I take a break from Yom Kippur to note that Jose will soon be at post 33333.

FJL

« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2008, 07:28:44 PM »

BK - Lovely news

Kerry

« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2008, 07:41:51 PM »

Congrats Ron...that's a lot of typing

It' just a lot of short pos

I liked him to.  It was Herb Alplert who said it when he was making his comeback.

I will admit that I was totally wrong about Herb Alpert becoming popular (but of course, I didn't realize that he was backed by the Mafia).

Please elaborate.

At some point (before or after he started A&R records), they "approached" him and made sure that his records were played on every radio station, every juke box, etc.  Granted, he was talented.  He finally in later years had a breakdown over the pressure.   I believe he got out of the contract with the Mob (which is why you didn't hear much from him for some time).  He revealed all this several years ago.

I'd love to know your sources for this, as a lifelong fan of A&M with many personal friends who have worked with Herb and Lani through the years.  Herb's "breakdown" had nothing to do with the "Mob" in any story I have ever read or been told.  But perhaps I've not read the information you evidently have.
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2008, 07:50:33 PM »

As I said, the news doesn't really mean anything - maybe it will someday, but to have someone on the side of the Kritzer books makes me feel good, so I was very grateful for the call.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: October 08, 2008, 08:14:44 PM »

Uh-oh...

States’ Purges of Voter Rolls Appear Illegal

Tens of thousands of eligible voters in at least six swing states have been removed from the rolls or have been blocked from registering in ways that appear to violate federal law, according to a review of state records and Social Security data by The New York Times.

The actions do not seem to be coordinated by one party or the other, nor do they appear to be the result of election officials intentionally breaking rules, but are apparently the result of mistakes in the handling of the registrations and voter files as the states tried to comply with a 2002 federal law, intended to overhaul the way elections are run.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2008, 08:27:01 PM »

I take a break from Yom Kippur to note that Jose will soon be at post 33333.

And here I am!

Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »

Whew!  What a night!  Chaos and contentment.  New faces and old.  When I die, my ghost is definitely going to haunt the structure of the establishment now known as Mulligan's Grill and Clubhouse, formally Sam Morgan's. . . I've been employed in this same building now for over a decade.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #208 on: October 08, 2008, 08:36:46 PM »

Then, I watched all six episodes of THE SARAH SILVERMAN PROGRAM - Season 2, Vol. 1. They're only 21 minutes apiece. A really wacky series but definitely some fall down funny moments. In one, she is complaining about discrimination against Jews, and a black waiter overhears her and chastises her for not knowing what real discrimination is. So, she goes to her friend who's an expert make-up artist to make her black for a day so she can experience true prejudice. He makes her up and she emerges as -- a female Al Jolson lookalike with a circle of black on her face and clown white lips. Of course, she gets beaten and chased and goes back to the waiter and agrees that blacks have it far worse than Jews.

I was rolling in the floor laughing.

DR MattH - Have you checked out The Great Schlep yet?  ;)

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out momentarily.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #209 on: October 08, 2008, 08:40:20 PM »

I began my evening watching the bonus disc of THE SARAH SILVERMAN PROGRAM. Fairly superficial extras, but I'm sure real fans of the show are glad to get anything, no matter how silly, with the cast taking part.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up