Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: OUT OF CZECHS  (Read 36806 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:OUT OF CZECHS
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2005, 01:29:40 PM »

Sounds like you made the most of your weekend, DR MBarnum. Glad you had fun and got home safely. Thanks for sharing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2005, 01:32:53 PM »

Didn't the public vote people out during the first season of BB? Or was it the public who voted on the winner? I didn't watch, but it seems they did make major changes in the show between the first and second summers.

Tomovoz

« Reply #152 on: August 02, 2005, 01:35:14 PM »

Is anybody here familar with New Orleans and able to suggest any  'must eat at" restaurants?
Breakfast at Brennans should take a half day. I wouldn't miss it. Only suitable for Vixmom and Vixdad though.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2005, 01:41:27 PM »

The phone has not stopped ringing all afternoon, so I didn't get very far into my entertainment this afternoon. And what was it?

Nope, not THE RAINMAKER. Not LADY IN A CAGE. Not any DVD at all.

I pulled HOLLYWOOD REVUE OF 1929 off the shelf and watched it (or about 45 minutes of it). I haven't watched it in a couple of years.

Talking of Tommy Tune's staging of THE WILL ROGERS FOLLIES, there are very strong indications that Mr. Tune got some inspriation for his levels choreography for "Willamania" and his hat-clap choreography for "Favorite Son" from some chorus numbers in this old, almost forgotten early talkie.

It's primitive, of course, but I find it great fun seeing stars like Marie Dressler, Marion Davies, and Bessie Love do their best with the mostly second-rate material.

I also came up and read about the film in the sensational A SONG IN THE DARK and am now anxious to go back and finish it. Haven't gotten to that amateurish ROMEO AND JULET by Gilbert and Shearer in two strip Technicolor, but I know it's coming.

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2005, 01:46:45 PM »

DR Ron, sounds like you got some very choice items coming. My THIN MAN and HIGH & MIGHTY aren't being delivered (by regilar mail) until tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2005, 01:50:21 PM »

BTW, in HOLLYWOOD REVUE, Jack Benny looks about the same as he's always looked, and even at this early point in his career, he's got his cheapskate and lack of violin talent working for him in his job as co-host of the revue.

The other co-host is Conrad Nagel, a name that means virtually nothing to people any more but who was a very big star once the talkies came in. He does have a very good voice for the early microphones. I'm sure John Gilbert would have loved to have had Nagel dub his voice for his films.

Jason

« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2005, 01:50:36 PM »

DR Jennifer: Yes, it makes a very soft humming noise. I don't have to worry about anyone waking up next to me anytime soon, unfortunately.

I'm back from having the ridiculously adorable physician's assistant touch my naked torso. I almost forgot why I went there in the first place. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2005, 01:50:39 PM »

I read that the big bomb Julie is going to drop during the Summer of Secrets this week is that after Kaysar gets ejected on Thursday, the public will get to vote on one houseguest to be let back in the house, so Kaysar could come right back in after being let go.

I know people have speculating voting someone back in as one option.

Where did you read this?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: August 02, 2005, 01:51:53 PM »

Didn't the public vote people out during the first season of BB? Or was it the public who voted on the winner? I didn't watch, but it seems they did make major changes in the show between the first and second summers.

Yes, CBS followed the European model by having the public vote on who left.

Only trouble was, the public kept voting out the "bad guys" and there was no drama/internal conflict to make the house interesting.  All the houseguests LOVED each other and didn't want anyone to leave.

In Europe, the public votes to eliminate the good guys, leaving the bad guys in to make life hell for everyone else.  Apparently, the contestants on those European BB's are often quite wild and unpredictable...and "Big Brother" deals out punishments.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2005, 01:52:36 PM »

The public voted out people each week.  But they did not vote on the winner (that is what i remember).

It didn't work for me because the public voted out all the interesting personalities right away.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2005, 01:52:58 PM »

DR Ron, sounds like you got some very choice items coming. My THIN MAN and HIGH & MIGHTY aren't being delivered (by regilar mail) until tomorrow.

They're all HERE!!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2005, 01:54:52 PM »

I know people have speculating voting someone back in as one option.

Where did you read this?

I really couldn't say. I surf so many sites during the morning hours that they all merge in my mind.

But you're right; it's just speculation, nothing set in stone.

Matt H.

« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2005, 01:56:10 PM »

They're all HERE!!!!

I am SO jealous! Watch a THIN MAN tonight!

Since you don't have EMPIRE to watch any more, you have time!  :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2005, 01:57:30 PM »

Miss Vickie sends greetings to DRs Jane and Laura and TomovOz and François, and anyone else.

She's not as spry as she was a month or two back.  Her rear assemblage is stiffening on her and she has a bit of a wobble.

She's a very old lady.  The vet and I are modifying her meds, adding Vitamin D, and I'm back to administering daily saline.

She has a very strong love of life, and I'm certain she'll stick around until she has no choice in the matter.
Lovely to hear from Miss Vickie. Please give her the very best from us all here. Miss V is the only cat that Magnus and Fosca know. (They've never met one in the "real" world")
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2005, 01:57:58 PM »

I was very pleased to find that Charles P. is also quite witty. Now, I had always thought of Charles as being a bit of a grumpy curmudgeon, and perhaps he is...but, he is also a lot of fun, judging from my brief encounters with him on Saturday!

MBarnum, I am a witty, grumpy curmudgeon.

Get a room, you two!

;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 01:58:39 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2005, 01:58:02 PM »

Greetings all.

Caught up with some posts from late last week, but after having taken a few days off from work, I was kind of swamped today.  Will try to catch up on posts and whatnot and join in the festivities around these here parts tomorrow.

Vibes to all who need them.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2005, 02:00:21 PM »

I am SO jealous! Watch a THIN MAN tonight!

Since you don't have EMPIRE to watch any more, you have time!  :D

No "Empire" has polluted my living room since the first five minutes of the second episode.

There is "Big Brother", though.  And I have to play with the cat, feed the cat and salinate the cat.

Maybe this weekend.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2005, 02:02:36 PM »

Two major announcements from the internet. This first one is only for those, like me, who are sick and tired of remakes and re-dos.

<Nicole Kidman set to star in Invasion, a remake of the sci-fi classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The new version centers on a mysterious epidemic that has altered the behavior of human beings and a psychiatrist (Kidman) that's discovered its origins are extraterrestrial. Oliver Hirschbiegel (Downfall) directs. >

Dear Lord! Already one unnecessary remake and now this! HELP END THE MADNESS!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2005, 02:02:41 PM »

The public voted out people each week.  But they did not vote on the winner (that is what i remember).

It didn't work for me because the public voted out all the interesting personalities right away.

I remember voting for the winner.  The houseguests had no part in the decision-making.

When the show bombed so terribly with the public, CBS hired new producers who revamped it.

Although CBS vehemently denies it, most fans of the show recognize that CBS manipulates things to try to stir things up...competitions, especially.

Matt H.

« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2005, 02:04:05 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]BIG BROTHER 6 FANS!!!!![/size][/move]

<CBS enabling fans of Big Brother 6 starting on Thursday to affect what happens on the screen using their mobile phone or computer by instituting a new feature called America's Choice that allows viewers to vote via text messaging or online at CBS.com. >

Matt H.

« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2005, 02:05:17 PM »

I guess this is the big secret.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2005, 02:18:44 PM »

I guess this is the big secret.

Yes, but they haven't said specifically what the public will be voting on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2005, 02:33:22 PM »

Been running around all day, and must how be on my way for the meeting at the Hudson Theater.  I shall return shortly.

Tomovoz

« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2005, 02:33:31 PM »

Just heard horrific news about an airplane landing crash in Toronto.  I pray it is not as bad as first reports indicate.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2005, 02:35:05 PM »

Just heard horrific news about an airplane landing crash in Toronto.  I pray it is not as bad as first reports indicate.

I saw some reports on the internet, and it reads very negatively. No details yet, but I'm continuing to read.

Matt H.

« Reply #175 on: August 02, 2005, 02:55:07 PM »

From the one article I just read, sounds like many of the passengers got out OK.

Jennifer

« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2005, 03:30:07 PM »

The plane crash is on all the news here.  They have continually been showing the plane on the runway on fire.

I know it was AirFrance coming from Paris.  And I believe it was landing.  There were really bad thunderstorms here that happened in a short time. So it might have been similar there.

The pilot and co-pilot got out alright. I think there were 250+ on board. It seems like everyone got out okay. Have not heard about any deaths.

Tomovoz

« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2005, 03:32:04 PM »

Latest report here on the other side of the world was 14 injuries and thankfully no deaths. Truly good news.
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2005, 03:53:25 PM »

BIG BROTHER 6 SPOILERS:

I've just looked at the Canoe site and see that Julie will announce the "twist" this Thursday...and it will be that the public will ge given a vote that will affect the game.  No details yet available on what that will be about.  As long as it's not to choose who gets a telephone call, a night on the town or a letter.  They're calling it "America's Choice," the but announcement does day it have an effect on the game.  So.....

:D

BIG BROTHER 6 SPOILERS

Not really a spoiler, but wouldn't it be cool if the public could get a veto!  Not likely to happen, but what a thought.

Cillaliz

« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2005, 04:01:05 PM »

BIG BROTHER LIVE FEED SPOILERSo are you reading the canoe website or just watching for yourself?

Who are James and Sarah loyal to? I know james has been going back and forth.  But i still sort of thought that he was being loyal to kaysar.

Re: Kaysar telling maggie to put up one of her own.  He was trying to convince her that it would be in her best interest to do so.  He said that the Outcasts will come after her next week when they win HOH unless she did this.  IT was a smart move on Kaysar's part. Too bad it didn't work.

What do you think of James' plan to not nominate maggie (if they win HOH). Then they would tell the others that maggie made a deal with the Outcasts to save her skin.  That would tear up the alliance.

BIG BROTHER 6 SPOILERS

I've been doing a little of both.  The live feed is a little boring at times and they sometimes cut away at just the wrong time, but it is interesting to see what doesn't make the show.  It will be interesting to watch tonight and see what they decide to put on.  

I think James and Sarah are loyal to James and Sarah and I think it will put them out of the game.  They have done so much going back and forth. Cappy's friends still are angry at him for turning on Eric and now that the outcasts know what he has been saying this week, they don't like him either.  

I think James was lying.  If he does keep the deal - the first he'd be keeping when he wasn't nominated, it would only be to try to save his own butt.  Kaysar said James only wants to last long enough to be sequestered with Sarah, but I think it's more than that. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else, but he isn't. They all know what he's been up to and they will take him down.....just my prediction
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up