Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAZAM!  (Read 33260 times)

Laura II

Re:SHAZAM!
« Reply #360 on: January 10, 2004, 10:27:56 PM »

Tomovoz: I've only seen a bit of "E.T." You are not alone! :)
MBarnum: I guess I shouldn't admit that "The Wizard of Oz" bores me. I turn it off at the flying monkeys part because I can't usually take it anymore! :)
Oh, I first watched "Sound of Music" in its entirety two years ago! I saw the stage production on tour, so I knew what happened, but I can't remember watching the end of the movie until two years ago. I had seen most of the movie as a kid, though.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #361 on: January 10, 2004, 10:29:51 PM »

We got home late (for us), so I am just catching up, but may I say to the folk who evidently are not in tune with my exceedingly dry (some would say arid) sense of humor that my comment about Brooks suing Norbert for style infringement was said with tongue in cheek (although they do sound a lot alike as they both I believe will readily admit).

And to Ron Pulliam--as another DR has pointed out by listing some (but by no means all) of his credits, Brooks certainly does not need me hoping for him to be more successful.  I, a relatively old fogey compared to the ever youthful and undeniably hilarious Brooks, consider myself lucky to have been able to arrange and MD for him on several occasions.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #362 on: January 10, 2004, 10:43:30 PM »

Closing up the desk for tonight. G'night, all.

Tomovoz

« Reply #363 on: January 10, 2004, 10:45:10 PM »

"to arrange and MD" for someone does sound like an alternative world that some of us visit JMK.  But no! This is a family site.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #364 on: January 10, 2004, 10:45:49 PM »

Just got an IM from a director in Long Island wondering if I'd be interested in doing a production of DIRTY BLONDE, which would open on Valentine's Day... I'm trying to get more details right now.

Tomovoz

« Reply #365 on: January 10, 2004, 10:47:27 PM »

Hope you thoproughly enjoyed "A Black & White Night" Panni. Good that someone at least had a great tribute before they died. I was lucky enough to see the "Big O" 3 or 4 times in OZ. He had a magic and did not need all the smoke and lights that performers need now.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #366 on: January 10, 2004, 10:48:59 PM »

Jason I still think you are far too young to get involved with a"Dirty Blonde" - no matter what they offer to pay you.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #367 on: January 10, 2004, 10:51:55 PM »

Panni, naturally, is BUSY.  Where are all the other late-night denizens.  I want to have a pajama party.  Jason, Dirty Blonde is great for the two guys - do it if you can.

Tomovoz

« Reply #368 on: January 10, 2004, 10:54:53 PM »

DR Laura II. I shall be courageous and let it be know that I have not watched "Citizen Kane" and that I found "Gone With The Wind" better as a musical than a film. We all have missed movies that "we should see". I've never read a Jane Austen novel either. I also don't know anything about Emily Dickinson.  Enjoying life is the key - not doing what others feel we should.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 10:56:11 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #369 on: January 10, 2004, 10:59:13 PM »

Okay, I saw this and just couldn't resist posting it.  A friend of mine got an acceptance packet from Central Washington University, and this was the picture on the very front cover!  DR Jed is famous!

ps I'm sorry if it puts us into widescreen.  I'm not on my home computer, so I'm working a bit blndly
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 11:00:30 PM by Ann »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #370 on: January 10, 2004, 11:01:06 PM »

Okay, trying again...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #371 on: January 10, 2004, 11:01:24 PM »

Ah ha, there we go!  Everyone enjoy :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #372 on: January 10, 2004, 11:02:40 PM »

He looks so different with the cap on.
James Thurber 1957

Laura II

« Reply #373 on: January 10, 2004, 11:03:49 PM »

That's cool, Ann (and Jed)!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #374 on: January 10, 2004, 11:05:28 PM »

Listen, just to keep the record straight - after all, we can't have crooked records - NO ONE IS TELLING ANYONE WHAT TO DO - people are surprised, that is all.  People are suggesting, that is all.  Let's not turn this into something it's not, really.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #375 on: January 10, 2004, 11:07:08 PM »

I don't get angry or upset when people tell me I must see this or I must see that - if I think they are passionate about something I will usually take their advice and give it a whirl.  I just don't undertand, TomofOz, why you must take it in this other direction.  It seems weird to me.  I would never have discovered half the things I know and love without gentle prodding from people I care about, trust and respect.

Jason

« Reply #376 on: January 10, 2004, 11:12:45 PM »

Wow. Guess I missed something there.

It sounds like the DIRTY BLONDE audition isn't going to happen. He wants to see me on Monday, but I'm scheduled at MTI from 10-6 and the Met from 7-11...and the audition is in Long Island, so fuggedaboutit. Oh, well...it was a nice 2 minutes of excitement.

Laura II

« Reply #377 on: January 10, 2004, 11:16:38 PM »

Did someone say we should have a pajama party? I'll try my best to stay up!  I took the following quiz (http://quizilla.com/users/morbidbunni/quizzes/Which%20slightly%20offensive%20random%20Barbie%20stereotype%20are%20you%3F/),
and I am the excessively pink Barbie who loves sleepovers, so I should be good at this!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #378 on: January 10, 2004, 11:19:29 PM »

Okay why are people home on a Saturday night? And what do you do on a Saturday night alone?

The songs of Saturday Night were written by Stephen Sondheim, and the show was based on an unpublished or unproduced play by Julius and Philip Epstein, who wrote the also unproduced play upon which “Casablanca” was based, as well as the screenplay itself.  Three degrees of separation between today's topic and Stephen Sondheim! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #379 on: January 10, 2004, 11:32:02 PM »

Actually, no the Epsteins did not write the unproduced play, Everybody Comes to Rick's, upon which Casablanca was based. It is no longer unproduced either...some years back some waiver house actually produced it here in LA.  I did not see it!

Tomovoz...No loss you haven't seen ET...I've seen it only once when it first came out.  It's perfectly okay, but hardly the second coming of Christ. I, for one, do not understand the drooling adoration it has.  CITIZEN KANE you really should see.  Not in my top ten, but damned fine movie.

Well, BK & Panni, the wife is now pouting.  I went out  whenever I did my last post and confessed I was on the internet and you guys wanted to go get pancakes.  She was definitely game; I was tempted, but finally decided that if I went, we all would just laugh and laugh I would not get home until the cows did and needed to work.  She was still game.  I told her to call you, that she could go without me.  But she decided not to.  So I just went out into the TV room after a productive period of work (I've only one small scene to alter slightly and then some repaging and I'm done!), And she was pouting because she didn't get to see you.

Tomovoz

« Reply #380 on: January 10, 2004, 11:32:16 PM »

bK: I was in no way suggesting that recommendations and advice could not broaden our horizons and increase our ability to enjoy what the world has to offer. Using "should do" is the problem I have. Value judgments! And I'm not usually the pedant. I guess "should" and "must" are just used as "expressions" these days. I was not trying to be controversial.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #381 on: January 10, 2004, 11:36:08 PM »

I have watched one of the most remarkable figure skating performances I've ever seen.  

The men's finals this afternoon were wonderful.  And even the ladies' skating tonight was pretty good, if a tad shaky.  Sasha Cohen, heavily favored -- heck, even Dick Button and Peggy Fleming predicted she'd win the competition -- fell on one jump and stumbled on another move and still got extremely high scores...5.7s to 5.9s on technicals and one perfect 6.0 and a bunch of 5.8s and 5.9s on presentation.  But she skated first, and there was the ever-ubiquitous "room" for anyone who could best her.  Only Michelle Kwan was in a postion to better those marks and pass her.

When Michelle Kwan took the ice, she had the audacity to be skating a relatively new program and to the music used by Russian rival Irina Slutskaya at the 2002 Olympics -- "Tosca" by Puccini.  It's my feeling that she would have gotten around to "Tosca" at some point in her career, but it seems like she's skating to it now to show the world how it "should" be skated to...with artistry and technique and without the melodramatic hand-flailing and hair-pulling that marks Russian "artistry" in female figure skating these days.

I've seen this program twice already this year.  She finished second the first time she used it, and she won with it the second time although she fell on a jump.

Not so tonight.  No.

Tonight was magic time.

Tonight was one of those extraordinary moments in time when an artist takes the stage with an audience hungry for brilliance and the artist hands it to them with style, grace, power and tons of heart!  

It was, for me, as perfect a moment as a moment can be.

Of course, it helps if you love figure skating.  It also helps if you believe Michelle Kwan embodies everything ladies figure skating should be.

I love opera, too.

Both -- opera and Michelle Kwan -- move me to tears.

Oh, yeah....she won, too!  Left everyone else in her dust!  I daresay Sasha Cohen wouldn't have won if she hadn't fallen.

Her reward:  Five 5.9s and four 5.8s on technical merit; and seven perfect 6.0s and two 5.9s on presentation.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #382 on: January 10, 2004, 11:37:48 PM »

It's Internet "tone" Tom.  That's what I'm getting at.  No one was ordering anyone to do anything.  We're just passionate about certain things and passion, as you know, can be passion-filled.  The new notes are all about this and they'll be up shortly.

Pogue - I wished you'd called!  Let's do it this week, as I'm now free as a winged bird flying with gay abandon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #383 on: January 10, 2004, 11:38:22 PM »

How can we still be on page thirteen?

George

« Reply #384 on: January 10, 2004, 11:39:17 PM »

And my other What If from 1/17/02... this time asking, "What if Stephen Sondheim wrote Fiddler on the Roof?"

(to the tune of "The Miller's Son")
---
<SNIP>

And Tzeitel married the tailor boy…

Are you sure it wasn't Taylor, the latte boy?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #385 on: January 10, 2004, 11:39:46 PM »

JMK, Yes, twas I quoted in Variety a few days ago.  I wanted to get a strong statement out there to shut up all the whingers who are going to be saying what an embarrassment this is for the guild and how it weakens it.  Personally, it's only an embarrassment for Ms. Riskin who shouldn't have tried to dodge around the eligibility question.  The Guild has proven its strength once again, by listening to a member, investigating what it needed to investigate, resolving the problem properly, serving its by-laws and constitution, serving its membership. It's shown that the guild is its membership and that no one person is more important than the whole and that the rules apply to everybody.  And, frankly, Charles Holland is the best possible president we could have at this time.

For those of us who don't get Variety (or unless I missed it), what the ferschlugeneh did you talk about ???

Late update:  Charles, I just came across your post from 8:15 that explained it.  Sorry that I didn't read through the posts far enough before questioning something that was already answered.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 12:00:16 AM by George »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #386 on: January 10, 2004, 11:40:07 PM »

Tomovoz...No loss you haven't seen ET...I've seen it only once when it first came out.  It's perfectly okay, but hardly the second coming of Christ. I, for one, do not understand the drooling adoration it has.  CITIZEN KANE you really should see.  Not in my top ten, but damned fine movie.

I pity you your cynicism, Charles Pogue.  

It's one of the brilliant fantasy films ever.  I've seen it tons of times and thrill to it each time.

I also pity Tom for never having seen it.  He's deprived himself of an extraordinary motion picture.

And since "tone" is the issue of the moment, I thank Mr. Pogue for the "drooling adoration" comment.  It paints the film's admirers as idiots, but at least he still thinks it's a "damn fine movie" or was he referring to "Citizen Kane"?

I'm overjoyed.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 11:49:04 PM by Ron Pulliam »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #387 on: January 10, 2004, 11:40:20 PM »

TCB you might find this google headline interesting: Hey, Tacoma, you're No. 1 on list of most stressed cities.

Lucky you can come here to de-stress. ;)

Ah, yes, but we only reached that lofty height when I started coming to this site.  Coincidence?  I don't think so!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #388 on: January 10, 2004, 11:45:04 PM »

Memories of DOT:

Is Tab Hunter's nickname Dot?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #389 on: January 10, 2004, 11:49:10 PM »

CALM DOWN!  Smell the roses.  Everyone's opinion is everyone's opinion, period.  End of story.  You don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it, and that's all perfectly fine.  Some love ET (I do), some don't (Pogue don't, and plenty of others don't, too).  It doesn't make them pitiable any more than it makes anyone pitiable for liking it.  It's only a movie, Beulah.

Now, anyone for a PAJAMA PARTY?  New notes up in fifteen minutes or so, so post here now, take a thirty second break, then let's get in our pjs and start all over again.

So it is written, so it shall be done.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up