Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 200,000 POSTS  (Read 24787 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
200,000 POSTS
« on: April 27, 2006, 12:20:41 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are suitably impressed by our new plateau, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - there are 200,000 cows and it's going to take a while.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 12:23:53 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:200,000 POSTS
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 12:21:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: HUMUNGOUS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 12:26:33 AM »

Between the time I wrote the notes and the time I posted the notes, we went from fifth highest posting day to third highest posting day!

And now - Dino at the piano.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 12:29:11 AM »

I tried to answer a post from yesterday's frenzy, but it's locked. I don't know how to quote from a previous day, so I'll do it "manually."

bk you said,,,
"Apparently you're impressed by all that hogwash."

And to that I respond...
I'm not, actually. I thought that was the point I was making by wondering if anyone looks at and votes for material because of the packaging.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 12:29:51 AM by Maria »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 12:30:52 AM »

And here is Miss Monique Vermont today.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 12:30:58 AM »

Useless Word of the Day Trivia:  I'd read some time ago that the word "HUMUNGOUS" appeared in print for the very first time ever in 1973.  Just had to share. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 12:31:28 AM »

Doesn't she look exactly the same?  Don't dawdle, Amaryllis.

George

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 12:31:50 AM »

BK, great news about the phone call!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 12:32:25 AM »

George and I got a little frenzied in the posting department!!

I will try and make it to chat but I do work and it will depend on how quiet it is..
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 12:33:34 AM »

She still looks lovely and it is wonderful that you were able to reconnect with her.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 12:34:19 AM »

George and I got a little frenzied in the posting department!!

A little??

;)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 12:34:32 AM by George »

George

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 12:35:55 AM »

I will try and make it to chat but I do work and it will depend on how quiet it is..

I'll be at work also.  So will my supervisor. ::) I probably will only be able to pop in every once in a while.  Maybe I can take my break and put up a sign saying, "I'm On My Break!"

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 12:37:07 AM »

A little??

;)

WEll you know, I did not want to brag... :)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 12:38:26 AM »

I'll be at work also.  So will my supervisor. ::) I probably will only be able to pop in every once in a while.  Maybe I can take my break and put up a sign saying, "I'm On My Break!"

That is an idea...

I can do it but it will be a challenge...

George

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 12:49:41 AM »

I did a Google search on "Monique Vermont" and the very first link that came up was a column from October 12, 1998 on Sondheim.com, by someone known only as "The Real A." (I wonder who this could be?? ;)) Anyway, there is a paragraph that references Monique Vermont...I hope BK doesn't mind me quoting it here:

Mr. Gordon was not my first acting teacher. No, that was Jerry Bloom, who owned the Jerry Bloom Acting School For Young Adults. My parents, in order to appease me, sent me to said acting school. I have very little memory of it, other than that I was very shy and would never volunteer for any of the weird exercises Mr. Bloom would have us do. This was in the summer just before I began high school. Interestingly, there were two people in that class I've never forgotten. One was Monique Vermont, who was a little younger than I and a nice freckle-faced girl. On my first day, I walked in, saw Monique Vermont sitting there and I went into shock. Because Monique Vermont had played Amaryllis in the motion picture of The Music Man! Yes, you heard it here, dear readers, I was in acting class with Amaryllis. I found that extremely neat, and we became friends and even spoke on the phone quite a lot. And then there was a girl named Steffi, who was a bit older than I, and who, I'd discover a month later, went to my high school. I recognized her immediately too, because she'd been in the film of Bye, Bye, Birdie. She didn't have a speaking role, but she was instantly recognizable from the film, because she had fiery red hair which I'd noticed when I saw said film. We became fast friends, too, although when I began high school we drifted apart, as she really couldn't be seen talking to a first semester student. I often wonder where Monique Vermont and Steffi are, and if anyone has any information please let me know so I can send them this reminiscence. Jerry Bloom I know about....

I'll stop here and let you all find out for yourselves what happened to Jerry Bloom. :o

:P

George

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 12:58:22 AM »

And now, I must go to sleep.  Good night, BK and DakotaCelt.  It was a great FRENZY!!

;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 01:25:17 AM »

And a few of us were reading that column back then.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 04:21:24 AM »

Godd morning I am just popping in to say HI!! I have to get the Vixter to school and thenit is work work work work all the live long day to make this place presentable for houseguests!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~Vibes to all that needs 'em with especial thoughts for  Danise, her mom, Elmore's dad, Maria's daughter, Ozderek's friends and family, Miss Tammy M. and the divine TCB~~~~~! [/move] [/color]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 04:21:59 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 04:23:08 AM »

Oh and I will definitely not be at the chat as 4 PM  PST is 7 PM EST and I will be attending a school concert that begins at that very time!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 04:25:06 AM »

DD is fine. Thanks for the good vibes, everybody. It's 4:20 AM here and I'm now going to get some sleep.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 04:58:25 AM »

Oh, my, oh, my. What a catch up!

I am now all caught up and will proceed.

Congrats on the new plateau/milestone. Although I wasn't part of it, I'm happy to be part of this here site.

I was at the theatre last night seeing Jan Maxwell's replacement in "Entertaining Mr. Sloane" That's why I posted the link to the Playbill article yesterday. The production was OK, not great. Barbara Sims, who replaced Jan Maxwell was fine in the part. The theatre was freezing cold, so cold in fact that many of the audience members were complaining to management and to the ushers. At the end of intermission a voice came on saying "if you used your cell phone during intermission, please remember to turn it off again" The woman in front of me said, loudly enough for the entire audience to hear, "I'll turn off my cell phone if you turn down the air conditioning". Much laughter from the rest of the audience. I read in the paper today that one of the reasons Mr. Baldwin exploded earlier in the week was because he felt the air conditioning in the theatre was not high enough. He sweats profusely in this production and he wears glasses and it was difficult for him to see so he wanted more air conditioning. He got the icebox he requested. He also lost a co-star. Oh, well.

We also made some "lifestyle" changes at Chez McLaughlin/Morelli. After enduring years of increased prices and decreased satisfaction with cable television (we had another price increase in February) when the bill came last week I looked at it and decided not to cancel cable altogether but to downgrade to Basic service. I would cancel altogether if I got decent reception but we live on the fourth floor of a small building with no big antenna. We are surrounded by tall apartment buildings which make TV reception iffy at best without cable. We decided that as long as we got the broadcast channels and PBS we could live without anything else and the bill goes down from $57.94 to $24.96. It would be even less if we were not gouged by excessive fees and taxes (over $10 in fees). The change hasn't taken place yet, we're still getting the 65 channels we used to get but I won't miss a single channel. We just don't watch enough television to justify paying so much money for so little quality.

Almost 8am. I need to get to work.

One of my fondest memories is meeting DR Kerry and former DR MusicGuy (Lyn) in 2003 when they came to New York City for their 30th Anniversary! We went to dinner at the Waldorf-Astoria (along with former DR Jason) and then up to their suite for post-dinner conversation. What a wonderful evening and what a wonderful couple.

Bye for now.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 05:35:29 AM »

[size=40]HUMUNGOUS[/size]

....just wanted to share....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 05:36:28 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 05:36:31 AM »

I forgot to mention to Jack, as Fred mentioned, no the dance you spoke about is not in this production of Pajama Game.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 05:48:12 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  200,000 POSTS!  CONGRATS TO WE!  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 06:03:57 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~Vibes to all that needs 'em with especial thoughts for  Danise, her mom, Elmore's dad, Maria's daughter, Ozderek's friends and family, Miss Tammy M. and the divine TCB~~~~~! [/move] [/size] [/color]

Yeah, what she said...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 06:33:15 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've just had to wade through 12 pages of notes accumulated after I went to bed.  I'm glad you all had a good time.  I'm happy that a new plateau has been reached.  Congrats to all.

DR George, run to your library's CD sextion and check out a "Trial by Jury." It's a 45-minute piece of comic genius embodying everything that Gilbert & Sullivan did well:  legal logic, opera parody, topsy-turvydom, and some insane situations, all served up with a lot of good tunes.  I've always liked the EMI-Angel recording conducted by Malcolm Sargent with the wonderful Elsie Morrison as the Plaintiff.

Back to the laundry.  My favorite HHW moment?  Reading the interviews.  We could use some new ones.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 06:57:02 AM »

Thanks to DRs BEN and FJL who answered my question.  I can understand cutting the Jealousy Ballet....but if they take out Hines' opening monologue...how the HELL does the show start?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 06:57:43 AM »

I can still hear Miss Monique saying:  Can I play my cross hand piece.....May I play my cross hand piece.

It's a lovely charming scene with Miss Monique and Miss Shirley Jones.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 06:57:53 AM »

Chat today!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 06:59:27 AM »

Of course meeting some fellow HHW'ers in person has been a highlight.

That would be DR GINNY and DH RICHARD and DR JOEY and DR JOSE at a production of MAMMA MIA!  Then later GINNY, RICHARD, and son ROB when they stopped by the World of Wisdom and brought me cake.

And of course meeting DR's RODZINSKI and ANTONIA last December when they too stopped by the World Of Wisdom!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up